• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Martial Arts

Corkscrew

Guest Makaikishi

Curious lang ako, meron pa bang nagpapractice dito ng Jeet Kun Do?

I remember hearing about an association of Jeet Kun Do here in our country but I've never heard anything other than that ever since...

Edited by Makaikishi
Hey Smartass,

Yes there are a few forms of Wing Chun. Not sure which is the original, but the one under Yip Man, was made famouse by Bruce Lee and is the concept for his JKD. I've studied under two different styles of Wing Chun (Yip Man style and Yuen Kay San). Both a pretty similar.

Wing Chun is basic, so all the flowery circular motion isn't Wing Chun to my knowledge. To contradict myself, there are a few circular motions in Wing Chun, but mainly for escapes from grabs or to move an opponents arms. I'd have to see what you're talking about to be sure, but there are elbows and footwork in the second and third forms that many people don't see....

When I was living in the Philippines, I was hoping to find some Wing Chun practitioners, but no joy. I'm back in the states and it's hard to find here too. Everyone is into BJJ or MAA...

Snobby

There are a few wing chun practioners here in the philippines. i was able to become the classmate of one of them when i took up my masteral degree here in the philippines. according to him, he used to train in binondo but the school closed already. from what he says, he doesn't know of a school here in the philippines.

yes a good throw can knock your opponent out, but we also have to consider that some judo throws require more precision and difficulty to execute, as compared to a single leg or double leg takedown.

i have to agree. there are a lot of judo throws that require precision and some that can only be used when in competition (hope my old coach doesn't see this). judo is a good base but given the arts out there now, practicality comes in. there's only a handful of throws that i've executed out of competition. those that have attained higher belts than me claim they've done some rare throws out of the mat. if you watch the international competition videos, most throws are "hilaw" or done at extremes. im not putting the art down, because i myself used to practice it. i just find it to be more of a sport, but it does save your ass at times.