Martial Arts

Corkscrew

a lesson from ancient history... grapplers in ancient greece did lord it over 'boxers'/strikers... in hand to hand combat...they were able to 'absorbed' tremedous punishment from the strikers...and apply their holds.. chokes... etc... however.. during the gladiatorial combats of Rome...the grappler's dominance waned...due to the introduction of the roman cestus, made 0f bones.. stones...sometimes metal studs...wrapped to the hands with leather straps...the cestus were the forerunners of today's brass knuckles...or four fingers...

Instead of striking the face or the body...they punched the hands ... forearms... elbows...till the bones broke... thus preventing the grappler from using his hands...rendering him helpless...and unable to defend from more telling blows to the head and body...

Althought it isn't allowed in MMA competition... in streetfights... the best way to defend against a grappler is to hit his hands.. break his forearms and elbows...so he couldn't use them to grapple...BUT ACCOMPLISHING THAT... IS EASIER SAID THAN DONE...STILL IT IS A VIABLE DEFENSE AS GLIMMED FROM HISTORY...

• 2 weeks later...
salamat po sir snobbysnak for the info...i didn't get the name exactly... Pan dam or Pan Nam wing chun... it's popular in singapore ... Sir Leloup... have you have info on this???... tnx po...

there's really nothing wrong with mixed martial arts...it's just a name...when i studied judo/jujitsu...a little boxing... and FMA..I didn't confind myself to one particular style...each had it's merits and drawbacks...when someone attacks you.. use all at your disposal to defend yourself... without labelling it.. you're doing mixed martial arts...

in essence that is jeet kune do ni bruce lee, the first person "i" know who did MMA

Edited by schmuckofyourdreams
  • 2 weeks later...

taekwondo and karate in grade school.

some grappling (no formal training though) in high school and college.

one semester of Aikido.

Yaw-Yan team V. Luna in college (2-0-1, 2KO)

Boxing at Elorde Gilmore in college.

i train myself with various weapons.

currently looking for Mixed Martial Arts gym within 5 kilometers of San Juan where i can train unlimited hours. not too classy, especially not too expensive. i want to fight.

Edited by Palakol
taekwondo and karate in grade school.

some grappling (no formal training though) in high school and college.

one semester of Aikido.

Yaw-Yan team V. Luna in college (2-0-1, 2KO)

Boxing at Elorde Gilmore in college.

i train myself with various weapons.

currently looking for Mixed Martial Arts gym within 5 kilometers of San Juan where i can train unlimited hours. not too classy, especially not too expensive. i want to fight.

try looking for Sir henry kobiyashi of Hybrid yaw yan. I think he has a gym in SJ...

JUST ASKING... are tachi-waza...throwing techniques of judo or jujitsu...all but eliminated in Gracie jujitsu???... I always see gracie jujitsu stylists.. shooting under a punch... grabe the legs and topple the opponent...once in the ground grapple to apply a submission hold/choke etc... WALA NA PO ANG THROWS... LIKE IN JUDO???...A GOOD THROW CAN EASILY KNOCK AN OPPONENT UNCONSCIOUS... it can also bring an opponent to the ground...ANY INFOS???... TNX !!

JUST ASKING... are tachi-waza...throwing techniques of judo or jujitsu...all but eliminated in Gracie jujitsu???... I always see gracie jujitsu stylists.. shooting under a punch... grabe the legs and topple the opponent...once in the ground grapple to apply a submission hold/choke etc... WALA NA PO ANG THROWS... LIKE IN JUDO???...A GOOD THROW CAN EASILY KNOCK AN OPPONENT UNCONSCIOUS... it can also bring an opponent to the ground...ANY INFOS???... TNX !!

There are some Judo throws, like the ippon seoi nage and koshi guruma, that gives your back which can easily be taken advantage of, and do some chokes or other submission maneuvers, if countered. And in sports BJJ, if you get the back of your opponent, that's automatically 2 points.

Throws like Osoto gari and Kouchi gari can be used as takedowns in bjj as they don't give the back. Morote Gari is often used in BJJ, both in gi and no-gi competition.

There are two events in sports BJJ, gi and no gi. In gi competition, judo throws can be effectively used as takedowns. But in no-gi competitions, judo throws are difficult to do because you can't grab or hold onto any gi. So wrestling takedowns are commonly used.

good question smart. one best answered by the bjj practitioners here. personally, i must admit a fondness for the throws and take-downs of wrestling. as a wise man once said: "i've never been in a situation where a body slam wasn't the correct answer. although my lawyer told me not to do it to my ex-wife during our divorce hearing".

snatch, flying mare, high crotch lift, ankle pick, drop-step toe hold, belly-to-belly and belly-to-back, fireman's lift, leg scissors take-down, body slam, and the greatest wrestling throw ever, the suplex.

Guest Makaikishi

Curious lang ako, meron pa bang nagpapractice dito ng Jeet Kun Do?

I remember hearing about an association of Jeet Kun Do here in our country but I've never heard anything other than that ever since...

Edited by Makaikishi
Hey Smartass,

Yes there are a few forms of Wing Chun. Not sure which is the original, but the one under Yip Man, was made famouse by Bruce Lee and is the concept for his JKD. I've studied under two different styles of Wing Chun (Yip Man style and Yuen Kay San). Both a pretty similar.

Wing Chun is basic, so all the flowery circular motion isn't Wing Chun to my knowledge. To contradict myself, there are a few circular motions in Wing Chun, but mainly for escapes from grabs or to move an opponents arms. I'd have to see what you're talking about to be sure, but there are elbows and footwork in the second and third forms that many people don't see....

When I was living in the Philippines, I was hoping to find some Wing Chun practitioners, but no joy. I'm back in the states and it's hard to find here too. Everyone is into BJJ or MAA...

Snobby

There are a few wing chun practioners here in the philippines. i was able to become the classmate of one of them when i took up my masteral degree here in the philippines. according to him, he used to train in binondo but the school closed already. from what he says, he doesn't know of a school here in the philippines.

yes a good throw can knock your opponent out, but we also have to consider that some judo throws require more precision and difficulty to execute, as compared to a single leg or double leg takedown.

i have to agree. there are a lot of judo throws that require precision and some that can only be used when in competition (hope my old coach doesn't see this). judo is a good base but given the arts out there now, practicality comes in. there's only a handful of throws that i've executed out of competition. those that have attained higher belts than me claim they've done some rare throws out of the mat. if you watch the international competition videos, most throws are "hilaw" or done at extremes. im not putting the art down, because i myself used to practice it. i just find it to be more of a sport, but it does save your ass at times.