Top 10 Pba Imports

Richmond

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My biased answer would have to be sean chambers since im an alaska fans ever since! hehehe lamont strothers, bobby parks, norman black, billy ray bates, vidal messiah & tony "highlight reel" harris w/ his gettin' jiggy w/ it move after passing the ball to himself and slamming the ball is also on my list! hehe

Edited by o0onapstero0o
My biased answer would have to be sean chambers since im an alaska fans ever since! hehehe lamont strothers, bobby parks, norman black, billy ray bates, vidal messiah & tony "highlight reel" harris w/ his gettin' jiggy w/ it move after passing the ball to himself and slamming the ball is also on my list! hehe

haha me too. i wait for the jiggy after an alley hoop (Did i spell that right?). hahahaha

haha me too. i wait for the jiggy after an alley hoop (Did i spell that right?). hahahaha

yep! hehehe oh how i miss those rfm days! hehehe and oh before i forgot! i'll also include hamilton from the alaska(forgot his first name) and that black dude w/ bob marley hairdo? i remember he's banned because he's using marijuana at that time!

not sure if i can call this my top 10 but here are the ones stuck in the memory bank...

- billy ray bates

- michael hackett

- bobby parks

- donny ray coones

- david thirdkill

- michael young

- norman black

- tony harris

- bruce "sky" king

- chip engelland and jeff moore (if you can call them imports)

... i think i'm giving away my age on this, haha... anyway, i'm having a hard time putting somebody with a more recent stint in the pba.

• 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily the top 10, but some of the best from yesteryears. Can you identify them?

L-R in the 1st row are Andy Fields, Francois Wise, Billy Ray Bates, and Donnie Ray Koonce. Norman Black is of course San Miguel's #24. Others are:

Ira Terell (Tefilin #32)

Larry Mc Neil (Gilbey's #31)

Bruce Sky King (below Norman Black)

Jerome Henderson (YCO, big picture bottom left)

Russel Murray (Great Taste #68)

Jacky Dorsey (Gilbeys #1)

Russell Murray (YCO, with the raised arms)

The Royal import is Frank Gugliotta, Jr., elder brother of NBA player Tom Gugliotta

1981 Open Conference was sadly the last time Crispa and Toyota met in the finals. Crispa was bannered by James Hardy (#11 in the pic) and Byron Snake Jones. I would rank Hardy as one of Crispa's top 3 imports of all time, together with Bates and Cyrus Mann. Toyota had Andy Fields and intially, Melton Wertz (#33 in pic) but was replaced later by Victor King.

The picture was opening day of the 1981 season. Judging from the picture, it was a typical slam-bang Crispa-Toyota affair with Cezar and Joy Dionisio splattered on the floor. The Big J, Arnaiz, Fernandez, and Guidaben (partly hidden by Fernandez) are also in the thick of the action.

During the finals, Araneta was jampacked like a sardine can, with more than 30,000 in attendance each game. Toyota won the series, 3-2. Toyota would win 2 more championships (against San Miguel and Gilbeys), while Crispa won 5 (against U-tex, Gilbeys, and 3 over Great Taste) after this conference, including the grand slam in 1983