SPORTS & WORKOUT INJURIES

Shoulder popped out during sparring.

Blew knee out during grappling.

Neck problem during grappling.

Rotator cuff during lifting.

Sprained ankle during basketball. NEver been the same since.

Cracked hand during boxing.

I should've drunk more milk when i was a kid

Stretching / warm-up is a must, if you wish to avoid injuries.

I learned that lesson the hard way. I missed playing football for several years (my last game was way back in college). Then the company where I'm employed opened a football league. I joined one of the teams, then went straight to the first practice game without doing any form of stretching or warm-up. Sobrang excited kasi makapaglaro ulit.

Result: On the second half of the game, while I was running, both of my legs had cramps at exactly the same time. :wacko: Halos gumapang ako papalabas ng football field.

From that time on, I stay out of the field unless I've already done stretching. B)

• 3 weeks later...

question po...

i sprained (rolled in) my ankle six weeks ago.

did R.I.C.E. on the first 24 hours, then i went to the doctor the following day. i had to because this is the worst sprained ankle i had in my whole life... i couldn't even put a little pressure on it.

x-ray was clean and doctor put cast on it after 2 more days. doctor said that the swelling was too much and he wanted it a little smaller before molding the cast on my ankle.

had the cast for less than two weeks because it was irritating me a lot!

i can walk properly now and move my ankle in any directions (stretching exercises), but there's still a small bump around my outer ankle.

i wanna start playing basketball or at least jogging again soon. am i good to go? or should i start worrying already? do i need to visit my doctor again?

thanks guys!!

question po...

i sprained (rolled in) my ankle six weeks ago.

did R.I.C.E. on the first 24 hours, then i went to the doctor the following day. i had to because this is the worst sprained ankle i had in my whole life... i couldn't even put a little pressure on it.

x-ray was clean and doctor put cast on it after 2 more days. doctor said that the swelling was too much and he wanted it a little smaller before molding the cast on my ankle.

had the cast for less than two weeks because it was irritating me a lot!

i can walk properly now and move my ankle in any directions (stretching exercises), but there's still a small bump around my outer ankle.

i wanna start playing basketball or at least jogging again soon. am i good to go? or should i start worrying already? do i need to visit my doctor again?

thanks guys!!

Dude, wait. I had the same ankle sprain from basketball where my ankle ballooned 6 years ago. I force to play on it after 4 weeks. Ever since then my ankle has never been the same. Its been tender and weaker. So take as much time as possible, don't rush it.

Dude, wait. I had the same ankle sprain from basketball where my ankle ballooned 6 years ago. I force to play on it after 4 weeks. Ever since then my ankle has never been the same. Its been tender and weaker. So take as much time as possible, don't rush it.

thanks for the warning dude!

hope yours will get well soon also. :thumbsupsmiley:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

had a couple recently two weeks ago. accidentally sat on my ankle (ala Crocop when he was KO'd by Gabriel Gonzaga in their UFC fight) severe sprain.

I have one now. Blunt Force Trauma to my left delt. Shot in for the takedown. Lifted the person I was taking down he slipped and his face fell on my shoulder. His Lips were busted but my shoulder now hurts like hell.

Good thing it's already the weekend. Got a couple of days to rest it before training again on Monday.

• 3 weeks later...
partially torn ACL on my left knee

Goodbye Basketball

how did you verify this? I blew out my knee in a game around 3 weeks ago, couldn't walk for 2 days. Got anti-inflammatory meds; both Ortho surgeons who evaluated me said it's an ACL tear (90% sure daw). Did you get an MRI? I was requested to have this but I don't have insurance and surgery na lang daw solution.

i tried to play again two saturdays ago, was ok naman, mild play of course it's a far cry from the way i usually play and am being extra careful. I tried again last thursday and I hurt my knee again. Now, it's worse.. is it really goodbye basketbal?

my teammate who had ACL surgery on his knee told me that it couldn't be ACL coz I could still run just after two weeks. I hope that physiotherapy will be enough.

otherwise, it's surgery coz I feel like I can't say goodbye to basketball.

Edited by complicated8
how did you verify this? I blew out my knee in a game around 3 weeks ago, couldn't walk for 2 days. Got anti-inflammatory meds; both Ortho surgeons who evaluated me said it's an ACL tear (90% sure daw). Did you get an MRI? I was requested to have this but I don't have insurance and surgery na lang daw solution.

i tried to play again two saturdays ago, was ok naman, mild play of course it's a far cry from the way i usually play and am being extra careful. I tried again last thursday and I hurt my knee again. Now, it's worse.. is it really goodbye basketbal?

my teammate who had ACL surgery on his knee told me that it couldn't be ACL coz I could still run just after two weeks. I hope that physiotherapy will be enough.

otherwise, it's surgery coz I feel like I can't say goodbye to basketball.

Though there are tell-tale signs, an MRI would definitely answer your question. The legs are one of the sturdiest parts of the human body, imagine the pounding they take from day to day. So the fact you couldn't walk for two days means they're banged up oretty good. If you love the game so much then what's best, get an MRI and if it says ACL tear, surgery won't be far behind (if you still want to play). And for God's sake, lay-off the knee for a while. Better be prepared though, if you do get surgery you would have to say goodbye to basketball for at least a year. Sorry but that's just how things are. :thumbsdownsmiley:

• 2 weeks later...

I know pre. have had two weeks of physiotherapy. the knee is getting stronger just not sure how strong; the therapist thinks i don't need the surgery. I hope so too. To avoid the costs, etc.

But lets see. I met someone who had knee surgery and he said his knee is as strong if not stronger but he still isn't playing since January. A year is really a long time to wait to get back to playing. :(

• 2 weeks later...

sprained my right ankle a month ago sa basketball...nawala swelling niya in one day pero when i started playing again after a week, sumasakit siya. and i usually do a sudden stop sa basketball without feeling any pain before pero ngyn parang hindi na kaya ng right ankle ko. medjo naging weak na ata...should i have it checkd? lagi na akong naka ankle support ngyn to prevent further damage pero nag pop uli siya twice last week pero hindi naman namaga hehehe

I know pre. have had two weeks of physiotherapy. the knee is getting stronger just not sure how strong; the therapist thinks i don't need the surgery. I hope so too. To avoid the costs, etc.

But lets see. I met someone who had knee surgery and he said his knee is as strong if not stronger but he still isn't playing since January. A year is really a long time to wait to get back to playing. :(

hi - let's just say that i know a bit about bones and stuff

if done well end-to-end, from operation to rehab, surgery to repair a torn ligament will restore it to full strength

if not stronger than it originally was - prior to the tear, that is

ankles are brittle and don't heal particularly well.

for really bad, bad sprains, we can't really expect to get the same level of function afterward.

it's just the nature of the beast.

as for complicated8's knee, I hope that you're following the Shawne Merriman case (although obviously, he's got it worse...PCL palang katay na).

the problem with knee injuries like that is that joint stability is obviously compromised.

it won't bother you as much now (I actually had a classmate whose torn ACL was neglected from high school through college...his knee looked a bit weird, even funny) but it will be an even bigger issue down the road.

miss, the more appropriate term in the Philippine setting is actually "neglect" not "evade".

peeps don't evade surgery, they neglect their injuries and illnesses and opt not too consult, much more get procedures done.

you'll be surprised at how many people are wandering around with gimpy knees, or worse, tumors as big as their heads.

anyhow, about my friend, yeah he could still walk around and get through the day-to-day grind.

but he refrained from engaging in sports after that.

the knee itself looked funny (looked way too different from the healthy knee) and occasionally gave him trouble, primarily in the form of pain and tightness (the joint's likely arthritic already; this was bound to happen anyway).

^^^

well

did he still play with it?

just curious

how he managed to

evade surgery that long

Edited by gift_of_game

well

can i ask an honest

question or something

how can you know

if you have some knee ligament