Computer Troubleshooting And Repair

i have got a question...

i am a dumbasss...i just bought my acer laptop((Vista) last month and i forgot to create a backup disk..when i login to my account..the exploerer does not start up and my screen is blank..but i see a mouse cursor...what do i do orig kasi yung vista ko ..do i go out ang buy a fake copy?

i have got a question...

i am a dumbasss...i just bought my acer laptop((Vista) last month and i forgot to create a backup disk..when i login to my account..the exploerer does not start up and my screen is blank..but i see a mouse cursor...what do i do orig kasi yung vista ko ..do i go out ang buy a fake copy?

There should be a recovery CD bundled with your laptop. Try restoring your installation using that. If it does not come with a recovery CD, take it to the seller for servicing. :headsetsmiley:

help please, i am currently using an IDE HDD with 160gb capacity, now i would like to switch to a SATA HDD with the same capacity. is there a way that i can transfer ALL of my files from the IDE HDD including the OS without doing a fresh install on the new SATA HDD which will consume LOTS of time? if so, how can i do that? thanks! :)

Guest Leviticus
help please, i am currently using an IDE HDD with 160gb capacity, now i would like to switch to a SATA HDD with the same capacity. is there a way that i can transfer ALL of my files from the IDE HDD including the OS without doing a fresh install on the new SATA HDD which will consume LOTS of time? if so, how can i do that? thanks! :)

what brand HD do you have? maganda is to clone your previous hard disk. ako gamit ko ay maxblaxt but you will need a maxtor hard disk to do this. kuha ka na lang ng maxtor brand. tutal maganda naman ang performance nito.

just do a google search for maxtor maxblast :thumbsupsmiley:

yong isa pc ko sa office, lagi nagrerestart if i try to save documents to the network drive, pinatingnan ko na sa IT namin, d pa rin nila naayos, does anybody have a suggestion?

Try using another LAN card. This happens frequently with onboard LAN cards that are starting to fail. They cause the affected PC to crash or stall when conducting high throughput activities. :headsetsmiley:

seagate ang current HDD ko eh... any more ideas?

what brand HD do you have? maganda is to clone your previous hard disk. ako gamit ko ay maxblaxt but you will need a maxtor hard disk to do this. kuha ka na lang ng maxtor brand. tutal maganda naman ang performance nito.

just do a google search for maxtor maxblast :thumbsupsmiley:

Last night some malware got on my computer (P4 running WinXPHE). This thing took over my desktop, with a big red screen, warning that my computer was infected and that I should click their button to remove it (yeah--right!). Strangely, I couldn't get the right-click to work on the desktop, to access my desktop properties.

After doing the usual virus scans, etc., I downloaded a registry cleaner . It found about 100 keys that were suspicious. About half of those were deemed dangerous, so I backed up my registry and deleted the bad keys. Then I turned off my system restore, rebooted into safe mode, ran Spybot S&D, HijackThis! and an antivirus scanner called avg or something. Everything looked OK.

Anyway, after going to restart, it won't go past the blue Windows screen. I tried restarting it again and again, but it simply won't go past there, in safe mode, last good config or anything else. I *really* don't want to do a reformatting!

Please help.

My desktop's power supply unit's fan does not turn on when i turn the CPU on. I have to give the fan's blade a little push with a pen before it gains enough strength to turn. But even then, I observe na parang hirap yung fan -- parang mabagal and hindi constant yung rotational speed. Although once it starts turning, it doesn't totally stop naman.

What's wrtong with it kaya? I already cleaned the blades and vents, because i thought maybe it's because of the clogged dirt, but it's still the same.

I think the PSU itself is still ok. Can the fan still be repaired or replaced? Or should I change the entire PSU already?

My desktop's power supply unit's fan does not turn on when i turn the CPU on. I have to give the fan's blade a little push with a pen before it gains enough strength to turn. But even then, I observe na parang hirap yung fan -- parang mabagal and hindi constant yung rotational speed. Although once it starts turning, it doesn't totally stop naman.

What's wrtong with it kaya? I already cleaned the blades and vents, because i thought maybe it's because of the clogged dirt, but it's still the same.

I think the PSU itself is still ok. Can the fan still be repaired or replaced? Or should I change the entire PSU already?

As long as your PS doesn't seem close to overheating it should be okay. I would advise you to monitor your voltages from now on since it may be that your PS is nearing its end-of-life. :headsetsmiley:

mura na lang din naman ang PSU ngayon eh, since the rotor of your fan seems to be failing. why not replace it now instead of burning everything inside your PC?

@ R@v3n:

But how do I know what's the normal range for voltage -- or for temperature, for that matter?

I installed software called SensorsView Pro, but it only monitors CPU temp and CPU fan speed. I noticed that my CPU temp is normally between 50 - 60 degrees Celsius but it rises to 70 - 72 degrees when my screensaver turns on. Then I get temp warnings from the software. BTW, my CPU is a Pentium IV Hyperthreading. I also have a GeForce 6600 graphics card, but it has its own fan.

When I touch the top of my desktop, mainit nga ito, lalo na if I touch the area right over the PSU. Will the sluggish PS fan contribute to the higher CPU temp? (I remember that initially, I didn't know the PS fan wasn't turning, so the CPU case became very hot and the CPU kept shutting down in mid-operation.)

BTW, should I invest in additional fans? Does it help? Where should I put them?

@ Google:

Oo nga, worst case I will replace the PSU. But with what? Right now, my PS is 350W, for a load of a Pentium IV HT, GeForce 6600 graphics card, 2 hard disks and a DVD-CD RW combo drive. Am I overloading my PS? And if I add more, (like additional fans, DVD writer, etc), will that mean I need a higher wattage in my new PSU?

Thanks for all the advice!

@ R@v3n:

But how do I know what's the normal range for voltage -- or for temperature, for that matter?

I installed software called SensorsView Pro, but it only monitors CPU temp and CPU fan speed. I noticed that my CPU temp is normally between 50 - 60 degrees Celsius but it rises to 70 - 72 degrees when my screensaver turns on. Then I get temp warnings from the software. BTW, my CPU is a Pentium IV Hyperthreading. I also have a GeForce 6600 graphics card, but it has its own fan.

When I touch the top of my desktop, mainit nga ito, lalo na if I touch the area right over the PSU. Will the sluggish PS fan contribute to the higher CPU temp? (I remember that initially, I didn't know the PS fan wasn't turning, so the CPU case became very hot and the CPU kept shutting down in mid-operation.)

@ Google:

Oo nga, worst case I will replace the PSU. But with what? Right now, my PS is 350W, for a load of a Pentium IV HT, GeForce 6600 graphics card, 2 hard disks and a DVD-CD RW combo drive. Am I overloading my PS? And if I add more, (like additional fans, DVD writer, etc), will that mean I need a higher wattage in my new PSU?

actually, your CPU is not overloaded. but i am sure that it is quite hot...

why not install a heatsink and fan? might help....

your computer's configuration is almost as same as mine, except for the graphics card (i use NVIDIA). my PS is 350W also, but i installed, aside from the processor fan and a hard disk cooler, a heatsink.... might help in your case.

Hey guys! Got a problem with my laptop. When i logon to my account, explorer does not start automatically. I will have to run Task Manager then click on New task and then run "desktop". Why is that? How can i remedy this? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

@ R@v3n:

@ Google:

I think you should just replace your PSU outright. You're not overloading your PSU but since I assume it's a generic PSU rated at 350W, that it's pretty worked out (since generic PSUs are not really primed to handle about 350W full load all the time... :thumbsdownsmiley: ) so I would suggest that you just replace it now with a 450W PSU. :headsetsmiley:

bossing,

patulong naman po.

yung desktop ko, usually after mag-run ng avg daily check-up, nag-rerestart mag-isa.

kung minsan naman, kahit tapos na yung avg, bigla na lang mag-restart mag-isa.

any ideas why this is happening?

I-post mo ung OS mo kung anong version.

Sigurado un matutulungan ka ng mga experts dito sina R@v3n at Google.

Mas maganda kung ganito ang format:

HW : anong klase

OS : kung windows sabihin kung vista o xp o 2000 o ME, 98, 95 etc.

Problem/s encountered: eto n ung details mo.

Hey guys! Got a problem with my laptop. When i logon to my account, explorer does not start automatically. I will have to run Task Manager then click on New task and then run "desktop". Why is that? How can i remedy this? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i think that your registry got damaged... the following are your options:

a) if you have registry backup, try to have it restored.

B) if you are on windows xp, you can do a system restore process to that date before you encountered this problem. it will not affect your files, but it will affect the software installations that you have done after this date. if you are to ask me, this is my preferred recovery state.

c) re-install or repair your operating system.

hth.