Computer Troubleshooting And Repair

Before you make a move to vista, don't forget to download the vista compatible drivers of from your hardware manufacturer specially the motherboard. And most XP compatible software may not work with vista even if you have successfully installed them. I noticed if my software installer or driver is both windows xp and 2000 compatible, it may work with the installation and sometimes it will run. But for most, it does not. Kung bootleg OS baka kasi yung mga Release Candidate or Beta ang nakuha mo.

A question for vista users, do you have any problems installing from bootleg software (even legal ones for that matter)? I tried the OS once and it block 95% of the installers. I tried the compatability wizard but it proved only to be superficial.

As well as gladiatorx suggestion, pwede mo ring galaw galawin yung montor cable mo at tignan kung nagbabago ang display mo. Karaniwang problema din kasi yung cable ng monitor.

Mga Pre, got problem on my display monitor. ang dilim eh. i aleady changed my VGA to Geforce FX5500 512MB. ganun pa din. I dnt know kung sa monitor na talaga yung prob. I need help... TIA
Before you make a move to vista, don't forget to download the vista compatible drivers of from your hardware manufacturer specially the motherboard. And most XP compatible software may not work with vista even if you have successfully installed them. I noticed if my software installer or driver is both windows xp and 2000 compatible, it may work with the installation and sometimes it will run. But for most, it does not. Kung bootleg OS baka kasi yung mga Release Candidate or Beta ang nakuha mo.

I have not bought that installer yet. I'm just asking some questions just to inform myself what I am going to use. That particular feature annoys me.

I have not bought that installer yet. I'm just asking some questions just to inform myself what I am going to use. That particular feature annoys me.ooops! double entry ^Pakibura na lang. :)

MGA BRO....my PC has 2 drives...main drive C:80Gb and D:160Gb.. i normally save files i download sa D:drive ko...may times na during downloading biglang ma-abort kasi file writing error daw kasi di na ma locate yung D: drive ko wherein fact it started OK naman...

any potential problems on my hardware? will greatly appreciate it any advise i can get from this thread...thanks in advance!

Guest Leviticus
MGA BRO....my PC has 2 drives...main drive C:80Gb and D:160Gb.. i normally save files i download sa D:drive ko...may times na during downloading biglang ma-abort kasi file writing error daw kasi di na ma locate yung D: drive ko wherein fact it started OK naman...

any potential problems on my hardware? will greatly appreciate it any advise i can get from this thread...thanks in advance!

check the SATA (I'm assuming it's SATA since it's 160 Gb capacity) connectors. baka maluwang or incorrect ang pagkakalagay.

mga sir, i need help. just bought a new pc. problem is....most of the new pc games available won't run. error message that comes out is either: 'cannot run program, make sure video card and drivers are compatible; the other is....something like failure directx3d8 and make sure you have directx 9.0c installed.

i dont understand, when i run directx diagnostics wala naman problem. it says nga that i have directx 9.0c installed.

here's yung specs ng pc: asus p5l-mx motherboard, sparkle geforce 8500GT 512mb 128bit video card, 1gb ddr2 667, my os is windows xp pro sp2 na may built-in directx 9.0c

i tried disabling the video card and used the built in graphics ng motherboard, same message lumalabas. so i guess na wala sa video card ang problem.

any other ideas? btw, my os is pirated. pero other older games walang problem.

Need help. My brother wanted to install/upgrade the current windows that we have however decided to cancel it. now whenever we boot up it prompts us to choose between the old windows and the setup for the windows that my borther wanted to upgrade to. How do I remove this so that whenever we boot up it will just go directly to the previous setuped windows. thanks.

***cinnzeo****

My suggestion is to uninstall/reinstall the Direct X. Can you also name some games that didnt work. Another thing is the 3d Rendering of the video card and built in one is not compatible with your games... update me about your issue and i will reply promptly

***ponx_99***

What you just did is a parallel installation of winxp... to remove the other choice all you have to do is Right click my computer >>> click Properties >>> Go to advance tab >>>> click Startup and recovery button >>>> then uncheck the display of os (i forgot the exact options, sorry) ... then click ok > restart the PC then you should be ok from there :D

@JaplogAng Hard Disk is very sensitive. Baka nasira na yung partition ng Hard Disk mo where you are saving your files. Check mo using utilities ng OS mo. Scandrive . @tanisSayang pre kung nandito ka sa Davao i can recommend one to you. Battery Kingdom. Yung tag 6k na battery dapat sa laptop ko , they created one for 1.8k :)@ponx99Pre, you need to edit your boot.ini for that. Search for this sa PC mo, sa mga hidden folders/files.It should look something like this (yung laman ng boot.ini)bootloadertimeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windowsoperating systemsdefault=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetectif you have 2 entries , then you can delete the newer entry.Pero pare ingat ka dyan... youre editing the bootloader na. @JaplogAng Hard Disk is very sensitive. Baka nasira na yung partition ng Hard Disk mo where you are saving your files. Check mo using utilities ng OS mo. Scandrive . @tanisSayang pre kung nandito ka sa Davao i can recommend one to you. Battery Kingdom. Yung tag 6k na battery dapat sa laptop ko , they created one for 1.8k :)@ponx99Pre, you need to edit your boot.ini for that. Search for this sa PC mo, sa mga hidden folders/files.It should look something like this (yung laman ng boot.ini)bootloadertimeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windowsoperating systemsdefault=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetectif you have 2 entries , then you can delete the newer entry.Pero pare ingat ka dyan... youre editing the bootloader na.

mga sir, i need help. just bought a new pc. problem is....most of the new pc games available won't run. error message that comes out is either: 'cannot run program, make sure video card and drivers are compatible; the other is....something like failure directx3d8 and make sure you have directx 9.0c installed.

i dont understand, when i run directx diagnostics wala naman problem. it says nga that i have directx 9.0c installed.

here's yung specs ng pc: asus p5l-mx motherboard, sparkle geforce 8500GT 512mb 128bit video card, 1gb ddr2 667, my os is windows xp pro sp2 na may built-in directx 9.0c

i tried disabling the video card and used the built in graphics ng motherboard, same message lumalabas. so i guess na wala sa video card ang problem.

have you checked baka may required screen resolution ang application mo?

B) dudes

need some info where to buy good quality 2nd hand laptops... kahit mga p3 variants ok n din kc mejo low budget friend ko... important is di naman masyado laspag at dependable pa din kahit pang ms office and media player use lang...

tnx in advance... stay :cool:

try to look at tipidpc.com. daming nagbebenta dyan ng laptops na cheap.

Perhaps the correct driver of the video card is not installed or driver is forceware and not verified and signed (WHQL) - sometimes these are the culprits. Just download latest drivers that are SIGNED and not FORCEWARE from Nvidia.

mga sirs, i need help with internet sharing in my network. do you know a program similar to wingate that can share internet connection with a mixed of windows xp and 98 pc's in a network? How to configure internet sharing in a network with windows xp pc's so i won't use wingate? Thanks in advance!

afaik, may ICS (internet connection sharing) ang Win XP to Win XP.

pag WinXP to Win98, try winproxy.

mga sirs, i need help with internet sharing in my network. do you know a program similar to wingate that can share internet connection with a mixed of windows xp and 98 pc's in a network? How to configure internet sharing in a network with windows xp pc's so i won't use wingate? Thanks in advance!

Windows XP, as what Google said, jas Internet Connection Sharing capability. If you enable it, it will act as the DHCP server for your network and will take the x.x.x.1 IP address. All you need to do is to allow your Windows 98 machine to obtain an IP Address (and DNS) automatically, and you can have internet access.

Haven't tried it yet, though. But, I believe it will work.

Speaking of networks, how do you trace someone who is stealing an IP address in an office network? Especially if you are not the admin. I have tried getmac and arp commands but it only traced the MAC address but no computer name. I want to know if there is a way to trace the MAC address to a specific computer name on a network. Has anyone done this or am I doing this the wrong way. Anyone, please help me. :D

Edited by mig 22
Guest Leviticus
Windows XP, as what Google said, jas Internet Connection Sharing capability. If you enable it, it will act as the DHCP server for your network and will take the x.x.x.1 IP address. All you need to do is to allow your Windows 98 machine to obtain an IP Address (and DNS) automatically, and you can have internet access.

Haven't tried it yet, though. But, I believe it will work.

I actually tried this during the advent of WinXP. before ang gamit ko lang was the win98 ICS, which was fine for all intents and purposes. then came winxp..

you are correct that WinXP can act as a DNS server via ICS. however, win98, ME, and 2000 cannot automatically identify the XP DNS "server" (note quotation marks as it is not a real server per se). only other XP units can automatically identify the ICS service.

you need to run a network wizard (automatically generate a floppy disk after activating the ICS in XP) in the other computers.

Speaking of networks, how do you trace someone who is stealing an IP address in an office network? Especially if you are not the admin. I have tried getmac and arp commands but it only traced the MAC address but no computer name. I want to know if there is a way to trace the MAC address to a specific computer name on a network. Has anyone done this or am I doing this the wrong way. Anyone, please help me. :D

Get an IP Scan utility from the internet. Do a google search and you'll find plenty of them for free.

Pareng Levi, thanks ... I haven't tried it (not a lot of company uses Win98 nowadays) but thanks for infos too ... :thumbsupsmiley:

Guest Leviticus
Get an IP Scan utility from the internet. Do a google search and you'll find plenty of them for free.

Pareng Levi, thanks ... I haven't tried it (not a lot of company uses Win98 nowadays) but thanks for infos too ... :thumbsupsmiley:

hehe.. you'd be surprised at the number of users still using win98 and 2000.

ganito kasi.. maraming mga surplus computers out there (go to pioneer street at boni). when you buy the CPU nakadikit ang mga COA stickers of Win98, 2000, etc. para makatipid and para makalusot sa license these Wa-is users stick to the OS indicated in the COA sticker. o-ha.. "licensed" software.

I actually bought 5 CPUs from HMR Philippines with WinXP Pro COA. bwahahaha.. I can use these computers "legal" in an internet cafe or office setting and I can get the updates legal, as long as I use the license key printed on the COA :blush:

hehe.. you'd be surprised at the number of users still using win98 and 2000.

ganito kasi.. maraming mga surplus computers out there (go to pioneer street at boni). when you buy the CPU nakadikit ang mga COA stickers of Win98, 2000, etc. para makatipid and para makalusot sa license these Wa-is users stick to the OS indicated in the COA sticker. o-ha.. "licensed" software.

I actually bought 5 CPUs from HMR Philippines with WinXP Pro COA. bwahahaha.. I can use these computers "legal" in an internet cafe or office setting and I can get the updates legal, as long as I use the license key printed on the COA :blush:

What does COA mean? I have a friend who uses Ubuntu Linux as an alternative for the liscensed ones.

What does COA mean? I have a friend who uses Ubuntu Linux as an alternative for the liscensed ones.
COA means certificate of authenticity.
I recently ran my TuneUp Utilities and it mentioned that I don't have a personal firewall.I have the Nod32 as my anti-virus. Is it still necessary for me to install a firewall nonetheless?I said this because, up to now, with my Nod32, I haven't had any problems. So, will it make any real difference if I have a firewall? Wouldn't installing one only eat up computer resources?Many thanks for the advice! :thumbsupsmiley:
you still need to. an antivirus protects you from viruses and other threats as soon as they arrive in your computer.a firewall protects your computer from threats such as hacking, etc.