Living Abroad Vs Living In The Philippines?

• 4 weeks later...

I lived and worked in South Korea for 8 years. then 5 years in various countries in Europe. I'm almost 40, been here in the Philippines for 6 years now. Decided on settling here and till I retire.

I guess the main reason is that my family's still here. Maybe if my folks and siblings are settled in another country, maybe...I'd think about it.

Just curious to know how many members of this board are non-resident Filipinos. Meaning you live primarily in another country (whether as a Permanent Resident or Naturalized Citizen).

If so:

1) How often do you come "home" to the PI.

2) Typically for what reason.

3) Typically for how long.

And the bigger followup inquiry: If you're one of those who haven't been back to the PI for an extended period (10+ years), what moments of "culture shock" have you gotten and why?

I'll get the post started by answering these myself biggrin.gif

1) Not very often - this is my (planned) first trip back after being away for 20+ years.

2) No "typical" one yet (see #1) - coming back to get some legal stuff taken care of.

3) Again, no "typical" one yet - I'm looking at a one-week stint right now.

The followup inquiry: Well, I'm not sure what to expect after being away for so long... any pointers? unsure.gif

I don't quite fit the profile of potential responders, but I'll pitch in anyway:

1) How often do you come "home" to the PI.

--> when I was working abroad, I come home at least twice a year. Usually when my work there allows me to.

2) Typically for what reason.

--> Primarily see my folks. I wasn't married back then.

3) Typically for how long.

--> 2 to 3 weeks max.

I've been back in the Philippines for over 5 years now; married---and my wife's not Filipina. I still get offered my old job--because not too many people in the offshore oil & gas industry can do what we do---but I prefer to settle down here. It pays less but I have more time for me and family.

i've been working in the Middle East for almost 8 years now, been around Africa and Europe for work, but nothing beats staying in my own house in Manila, sleeping in my own bed, then i wake up to find my breakfast waiting for me... no place like home :)

agree ako diyan.

Just to share a different "feeling"...I met my wife abroad (She's not Filipina) and we were married there. Her family's very nice and warm to me....so I've been blessed with the feeling of: paguwi ko sa Pinas "nice to be home"...pag pumunta naman ako sa bansa ng misis ko "it also feels like home". I guess dahil may "family" ako sa mga lugar na yun kaya at ease ako.

It depends on what ever works for you but base on my experience, environment is secondary. You psychological capacity to become successful is more important than where you live. How you handle failure and rejections etc. And at the same time if you know how to save and grow money. If you earn a lot let say 1 million and you spend 1.2 million then whats the point of working abroad? Lugi ka pa.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions sa mga kaibigan dito na nasa abroad din. Lalo sa mga OFW, nararamdaman nyo ba talaga yung sinasabing "incentives" ng gobyerno bilang pasasalamat daw sa remittances natin?

Eto nangyari sakin last january. Pag dating sa immigration officer, hinihingian ako ng POEA exit clearance kasi professor status daw VISA ko. 5-6 times labas pasok ako ng pilipinas under the same travel credential, paying the same fees (Travel taxes and terminal fee) and did not have one bit of a problem. Then all of a sudden required naman ako ng exit clearance. Tinanong ko, bakit noon naman di ako nahaharang ng ganito at ang napakagaling na sagot sakin ng mga ito "Hindi kasi ako sir nakatapat mo". So uminit ulo ko sabi ko, ok anong klaseng training ba meron kayo then? Pabago bago kayo ng patakaran.

So to cut to the chase punta ako POEA, and I really expressed my disgust sa bulok an bureaucratic system natin. Turns out, me babayaran ako syempre sa POEA at OWWA. Insurance at kung ano anong fees na di mo naman talaga pinakikinabangan. Pampalubag loob ng mga unngoy na ito, exempted na daw sa travel tax at terminal fee. Pero kung susumahin yun babayaran mo sa kanila, pareho lang naman ng damage kung babayaran mo terminal fee at travel tax. Naabala ka pa sa pila! Eto pang masama, yung fee na binayaran ko sa POEA at OWWA valid within 1 year period. Ibig sabihin kung di ako makauwi Pilipinas within that time frame, eh di bayad nanaman ulit! Anak ng tinapang galungung o! Para silang nakakaloko! Eh di singilin na lang nila ako ng travel tax at terminal fee basta kasma na lahat sa ticket at huwag nila ako abalahin. Buti na lang 3 hours before the flight ako nakarating kundi naiwan ako eroplano.

Yan ang hirap kasi sa pilipinas, daming kelangan pilahan. Laging kumplikado yung patakaran at proseso. Dami kelangan bayaran. Hindi naman talaga malinaw ano yung ginagawa o me naitutulong ba yun mga ahensya na kelangan mo hingian ng clearance. Talagang excuse lang para kumita sa mga OFW.

One thing I discovered is that doing Western Union in Manila while getting remittances from abroad is a rip-off.

The exchange for a dollar in Manila is 43 to 44 pesos..kasi may tax but our relatives actually paid 5 dollars tax just to send it. Now here's the gruesome part..

I was jetting from San Francisco to Denver Colorado, this is just last year. I have 5000 pesos in my pocket, I came from Manila to San Fran then Denver,I went to the exchange office to change pesos to dollars, I got 200 dollars! The exchange is great! Double! Sa Pilipinas rip off ang exchange!

Its better abroad..you just have to stay in the United States for a month, malaki ang difference.Fresh Air.

Edited by Veruca Salt

Now that it’s easier to travel, work or study abroad, I’m excited about the exposure Filipinos will get at a younger age.

Unlike before when third culture kids (TCKs) were born from the circumstances of where their parents were based, the new generation will be globalized and localized as an offshoot of choosing to move abroad.

I believe it’s the overseas Filipino workers, expats and "foreign Filipinos" alike who will till the future of the Philippines, not only on remittances, but with a better understanding of who we are and can be as a country.

It’s been a year since I left Manila. Indeed I still feel more Filipino abroad than I do back home but I use that point of view to my advantage.

Here I’ve realized it is less about finding your Filipino identity but embracing how the underlying cultural DNA brought you up as one. It's about appreciating the nuances and values that differentiate you from the rest of the world. -