any tips guys? im a sleeper in the stock market: invest a few, sleep on it and after a few months, either i lost some or gained some (crude and admittedly not very systematic :lol:) though i've been lucky with MER-B lately..

tip naman. kahit 1 kabayo lang :thumbsupsmiley:

Bro,

I agree with the analysis that right now mining stocks offer a better alternative than property stocks. The market is swinging both ways. Too bad NRCP is not doing well as projected. Rite now its at the 4.25 level. Is it just the timing or its not rily a good stock to park your money short term? Wat do you guys think?

I don't know if there is any place for a newbie like me in this thread.. But I want to try anyway. I want to solicit help sana. I am currently into UITF, on equity funds. Right now, I want to try stocks. Problem is, this would be my first time. I assume the best way to do this is to look for a broker? Guys, can you help me? I won't be investing that much naman.

(Sir Moderator, if in case I am too OFF-TOPIC, please let me know, I will just delete this post and look for the proper venue. Thanks!)

As of now mining stocks the way to go. APX, AT, GEO, MA/MB, PX, even VUL. Some in production, some in pre-production phases, some in testing phases and some still finalizing mineral rights agreements. Take your pick. Even speculative mining plays MHI & MIC are in the picture as well.

Anybody notice the nice rise in Keppel Marine lately!?! :cool:

I am a beginner in stock trading and obviously, I don't know everything yet even some basic ones. I asked my broker about dividends. Specifically, I asked the broker to explain what the "Ex-date", "Record date" and "Date Payable" mean. The broker response was "as an investor, you may take note of Ex-date and Date Payable. And to be entitled to the cash or stock dividend, you may buy a stock before ex-date, but you may sell on ex-date itself and you're entitled to the dividend declaration already. Payable date is the date wherein the cash or stock dividend will be paid to the broker/client."

I was kinda confused because if the answer above is really correct, then people would be just buying a day before the ex-date and sell immediately on the ex-date (assuming break-even price or gaining price occured during the ex-date). This would be instant money to them. The broker did not mention about the "Record date" definition also. The payable date is self-explanatory.

Can somebody check if the broker's response was correct?

I am a beginner in stock trading and obviously, I don't know everything yet even some basic ones. I asked my broker about dividends. Specifically, I asked the broker to explain what the "Ex-date", "Record date" and "Date Payable" mean. The broker response was "as an investor, you may take note of Ex-date and Date Payable. And to be entitled to the cash or stock dividend, you may buy a stock before ex-date, but you may sell on ex-date itself and you're entitled to the dividend declaration already. Payable date is the date wherein the cash or stock dividend will be paid to the broker/client."

I was kinda confused because if the answer above is really correct, then people would be just buying a day before the ex-date and sell immediately on the ex-date (assuming break-even price or gaining price occured during the ex-date). This would be instant money to them. The broker did not mention about the "Record date" definition also. The payable date is self-explanatory.

Can somebody check if the broker's response was correct?

ako dami ko din tinulugan eh. ryt now, medyo hazy pa ang picture kasi ang ganda ng performance ng dow and s&p pero hindi makita sa phisix. mostly wait and see muna ako for today eh. sorry bro if i can't give a good tip other than wait and see.

mas maganda pa rin talaga is if you study the stocks you buy. i read from warren buffet's book that he carefully studies the stocks he buys - looking at their P/E, stockholders, CPS and other ratios PLUS he buys stocks that he regularly uses. for example, if you enjoy buying gold jewelry, buy mining stocks. if you enjoy sex and use rubber all the time, buy condom or rubber stocks.

Feeling ko, alangan pa pumasok foreign funds dahil sa election. Sadly, if admin retains strong control of congress and no mass rally or coup occurs, the blue chips will probably surge. :)

Buffett says project your stock's future earnings and cash flow, and buy low. Of course, you'll need to fully understand how the business works to be able to properly quantify things. Check out your stock at pse.com.ph

COAT finally rose again yesterday. :)

Tips?... I have...

AT, yearend target 23.50 daw, redevelopment of Toledo Cebu copper and gold mine (used to be SE Asia's largest) in full swing, Berong Palawan nickel mine in full operation, nickel processing plant being planned. China buys its 100,000 ton raw nickel ore output at $100 a ton.

COAT, Biofuels Act starts today, big four oil ordering, yearend target 8.30 daw, foreign funds buying

SMDC, still cheap, PE ratio at no more 15 for a property stock, new projects to be launched this year

APO, buyback (Buffett special) plus launch of Trinoma, and share in Edsa Properties, share in Atlas

GEO, stock rights ex-date just passed, stock price adjusted down already, they'll have funds for exploration by month end

MERB - citisec's target price P99 daw, projected ruling to increase in distribution charge

TUNA - tsismis na may tutulak daw, pero over a month na...

Possible buys:

cheap at 27... PAX down from P30, call centers

IPVG... owner of RAN Online RP franchise, tie up with Hong Kong PCCW and US for call center, profit swing report, tumaas na, hahabol kaya ako?

ATI - parang high return time deposit fund before, has it corrected enough to be a buy?

MA & MAB - sealed exploration deal with Anglo American early this year. Potential to become another Philex, kasi katabi ang mining site. But do you trust F. Yap?

PX - below P5.00 already. Great PE ratio as long as copper and gold hold their prices.

Do you guys think Tuna will be a good buy at this time?? had some increase in market price some weeks back tpos price never changed...

Hold on to your tuna for a few more days. Ackerman was buying 1.6m shares this morning.

AT tsismis that it will hit P40 next year based on forecast PE ratios. Nickel price $50t! To think they started exploring the mine in 2004 when nickel was $8000 a ton. China buys from Phils $100 a ton of raw low grade nickel ore from RP in 2006. We've cornered low-grade supply to China.

APC mine is beside AT's berong daw... although it's overpriced, and risky, it's fun buying into it. hehe. Friday was Ansaldo play. Angping play today.

SMCB rose daw bec Danding can finally unload some shares, so he's propping it up. But it might be more of it's announcement of entry into growth industries such as power.

GEO target P3 in june.

PX is still up despite decreasing gold and copper prices bec of progress disclosure in surigao gold mine.

guys newbie here. after buying shares automatic ba na makakakuha ka ng stock certificate or do we need to ask for it pa from your broker? bought shares the other day. I received purchase confirmation and issued a check. got a receipt. What else should I wait for?

hehehe. heard about the new market resistance for AT kanina from tsupitero, pero i think 40 is just too high based on earnings forecasts from sales of low grade nickel. malaki ang demand ng china pero hindi pa din ganun kalaki ang supply natin for it. px is still undervalued, looking at its performance and other factors. pag-na iron out na nila ang mga problems, lipad na naman ito.

as for danding unloading, looks like the foreign brokers got first dibs on this. my bubwit at smc neither confirmed or denied this. sabi lang nya sa akin is that danding is fortifying the war chest, looks like war daw.

the big players had a helluva day today with the phisix reaching all new 10 year highs. sana ganito na lang parati.

Unloaded APC at 0.93 today. Sino and APC ended rallies at asking... possible correction tomorrow?

Atlas suspended today pending disclosure of purchase of land beside Toledo mine from Anscor. APO bumaba naman, while waiting for start of buyback. (Di pa raw na-approve ng board ang terms of reference)

Angping plays GEO, MHI, MIC all down today.

PX has the cheapest PE ratio for a well-run company out there.

Tuna up.

UBS unloaded a lot of MERB today...

The local buyers don't seem happy with a possible Trillanes or Honasan victory...

yung isang grupo ko inunload na ang merb namin last friday, we got it sometime december at 33, sold it at 80. just got my share of the proceeds. more than 1m!

parang gusto ko bumili ulit ng kotse...

as for the palengke, mukhang tahimik ngayon. my friend from i. ackerman told me may nagpapabili sa kanila ng tuna in big batches. una kong tanong, ano gagawin nila sa isda, kinilaw or inihaw?

hehehe

Gaano katagal mong hawak yang stock na yan? Just curious. Beginner kasi e. :blush:

We all know this year (2007) is supposedly the year of mining stocks. My question is, what is the price target for the following stocks:

PX

APX

GEO

AT is mentioned to be at 23.50

I'm banking on sympathy plays with the likes of VUL, UPM. We all know these stocks are crap, but if the key mining stocks have yet to reach their peaks, then potential sympathy plays can affect the likes of VUL, UPM. :)

We all know this year (2007) is supposedly the year of mining stocks. My question is, what is the price target for the following stocks:

PX

APX

GEO

AT is mentioned to be at 23.50

I'm banking on sympathy plays with the likes of VUL, UPM. We all know these stocks are crap, but if the key mining stocks have yet to reach their peaks, then potential sympathy plays can affect the likes of VUL, UPM. :)

PX has no target price. Since copper and gold price are unstable, it's price basically fluctuates with gold and copper, although it's new mine in surgao is pushing it up, but not enough to be able to set a "target price"

APX depends on gold price too, but it is a new mine. Its one-year-target was P10 yata last year, until the initial production report was 40% below forecast.

GEO P3 by june. Mr. Angping is now in singapore presenting GEO to the JP Morgan conference, along with COAT and SEC & SECB from the Philippines.

MERB P87 now... foreign buying from rumor of rate increase.

Edited by arkitekto

http://china-asiastocks.com/News/r031207a.asp

China's Hunger for Nickel Growing, Imported 3.78 Million Tons of Nickel Ore in 2006

General Administration of Customs has released statistics indicating that China, in 2006, imported around 3.78 Million Tons of nickel ore, 6.8 times higher than 2005. The total cost of nickel ore imports reached US$ 440 Million in 2006, a 1.5 fold rise over 2005. However, average prices of imports slashed down by 67.7% to US$ 116.40 per ton.

advertisement

In 2006, China relied heavily on the Philippines for nickel ore imports. The Philippines shipped 3.34 Million Tons of nickel ore to China, 11.6% higher than 2005. This amount was 88.5% of the total nickel ore imports of China. In 2005, it was the Australian nickel mines that supported Chinese nickel industry.

Shanghai Securities News reported that import of nickel ore in China boomed in 2006 because huge quantities of low-grade nickel ore was imported from the Philippines that lead to a decline in average import price.

Annually, around 1.3 million tons of nickel is produced globally. Two-third of the nickel is used in stainless steel production (as raw material), 20% in coins and alloys, and 10% in electroplating.

As nickel is among the raw materials for the production of stainless steel, the rapid growth in stainless steels production in China has raised the demand for nickel. Chinas nickel ore reserves are insufficient to meet the demands of its domestic market. Therefore, China is reliant on imports of nickel ore.

According to the RNCOS report, Nickel Market Outlook (2007), the demand of nickel in China is undoubtedly on a rise, but some matters on the supply side needs serious thought. Chinas domestic supply of nickel is limited as its nickel reserves aren't very rich. Also, around 50% of the nickel production relies on imported supplies of intermediate materials. Hence, there is a little scope to raise the domestic production and this is the reason why China depends on imports heavily to meet its demand.

The market research report also talks about the Chinas import from other countries in terms of percentage, production and consumption forecast of refined nickel (by 2010) and forecast of stainless steel production forecast.

Apart from this, the report takes into account the supply and demand scenario of nickel on global level, the production, consumption, and market value of nickel at global scale, top ten countries according to their nickel production and consumption statistics, and future prospects of the nickel industry.

About RNCOS:

RNCOS, incorporated in the year 2002, is an industry research firm. It has a team of industry experts who analyze data collected from credible sources. They provide industry insights and analysis that helps corporations to take timely and accurate business decision in today's globally competitive environment.

For more information visit: http://www.rncos.com/Report/IM086.htm

Current Industry News: http://www.rncos.com/blog

RNCOS’ “Nickel Market Outlook (2007)” report provides extensive research and objective analysis on the Nickel Market, its performance and its future prospects. It helps the clients analyze the trends and developments in Nickel Market as well as gain exclusive insights of Nickel industry in 8 important countries, namely US, Canada, China, South Korea, Australia, Germany, Italy and UK.

The report contains detailed data on Global as well as Country-specific Nickel market i.e. Nickel production and consumption by product and industry, price movements, import levels, supply and demand analysis, Austenitic and Scrap ratio analysis etc. It will help the client to understand the driving forces of nickel metal along with the future opportunities.

Key Findings

- There is a huge demand for nickel across the world, as it’s widely used in almost every

sector. The main demand driver is stainless steel production level.

- Both the European and the Asia Pacific regions are the largest consumers of nickel. The

factors that are driving the growth in these regions vary from country to country.

- The supply-demand gap for nickel is increasing with limited supply and increasing demand.

Worldwide nickel production growth will be limited in 2006.

- The austenitic ratio (nickel based stainless steel) is increasing while the scrap ratio is

decreasing in 2006.

- The future opportunities are immense, particularly, in aerospace sector, Gas turbine

manufacturing sector and nickel based battery sector.

Mga tol just read nung election day that Aboitiz power will have an IPO this July at P8 per share. Aboitiz is said to be participating in the privatization of NAPOCOR and the acquisition of various power plants. Ganda kaya to mga genius? Another thing, I have SINO and BSC stocks, medyo bearish ang huli but ang SINO ay pumalo ng .58 all time high. Ano sa tingin nyo? Cut loss naba ako sa BSC tagal na kasi di tumataas.

medyo wait and see muna yung privitization ng napocor kasi hindi magkasundo sa price kaya maganda bumili ng aboitiz power at ipo pero hindi sya lilipad kaagad as what others think about it. ang sino medyo talo yan, may nagpatingin na sa akin nyan dati and hindi ako nagandahan sa performance ng company based on its financials.

bsc? what where you thinking, man?

sir arkitekto: 2005 pa namin alam na china will be buying their nickel from the philippines kasi of better exchange rate daw, bigger supply, mas malapit kaya mas mabilis ang delivery and consistent quality. australia has been the world's largest provider of nickel pero the mines are drying up and tumataas ang labor costs to extract the mineral, isa pang factor is pagtaas ng aussie dollar kaya nagmamahal ang nickel from australia. alam mo naman ang mga intsik, economies of scale din yan eh. it depends on how much you get it and how much you can sell it.

In 2005, the only listed nickel mining company was atlas, in exploratory stage. In Jan 2004 it was P1, by dec 2004 P7 na. Basically tulog AT until last Feb when output actually came, then it broke out this march. :) GEO, MAC, DMCI, APC are all still in early exploration stages and will take about two years to actually start commercial production, but following Atlas exploration stage, their prices make sense. Up to now, only Atlas is the local listed company that produces nickel ore. Actually, nickel from australia is hi-grade nickel sulfides, sa atin almost all low-grade laterites. Logistical advantage nga meron tayo. it's just a matter of the high world nickel price making production from laterites feasible. Now the main shortage is in nickel processing plants and smelters, which Atlas and DMC are planning to venture into. Atlas also plans to start commercial gold and copper production Toledo by year end. I know two big players who've gone "all-in" in Atlas recently.

The only thing interesting in SINO is its congressional license to operate a horse race track and betting, which it isn't doing anything at all with. The speculation is that it plans to sell that congressional license, I think. APC has a mine beside Atlas, but it has more debt than Atlas ever had, (P11B) considering that it hasn't done anything to explore its mines yet. Buy on weakness daw for both.

BEL owns half of APC, that's probably why it rose today. LOTO is the sister company of APC and SINO, if you want to meet the rest of the family.

PX is getting a lot of foreign interest for its Surigao mines. MHI might have rights offering soon.