Guitar Talk

I hate Yupangco for making Yamaha appear like an inferior brand for electric guitars. Sa website ng Yamaha, they even have an ES-335 copy which looks more gorgeous than the Gibson model with the advanced electronics adapted from the Fender American Strat (yung may switch from HB to single coil). May Les Paul din ata sila. I remember Francis Brew used a black Yamaha Les Paul copy in the Dawn's Right to Royalty performance.

you can try checking RJ guitar shops, that where i got my morly wah many years ago. other info like manual and stuff can be downloaded from their website.  i even requested a spring for my wah for free. i was impressed by their very good customer service...just an info though  :)

Thanks 4 d suggestion dude, :thumbsupsmiley: I appreciate it. I already tried RJ but I still have no luck. :(

Hmmm...

No offense mga boys but this Concert Name is a bit misleading.

Guitarfest? I don't think so. Medyo misnomer ata ito.

A guitarfest should feature artists who have made a name playing the instrument. This is more of a concert featuring several bands and nothing more.

Sorry again.... :blink:

someone sent this announcement to me... i just thought of sharing this with  you in case you guys would like to attend.

have fun!

post-9339-1126845208.jpg

Locally, I like Johnny Alegre for his improvisation skills, si Perf and JAck Rufo for speed and accuracy, Si Pido (of Take One) and Kelly ( formerly of SideA) for their excellent scales and phrasing, Si Francis ( The Dawn) for his sense of originality, Si Tonette (now of Rage) for his wide range, Si Jun Lopito and Wally Gonzales for their melodic phrases.

Add ko si Resty Fabunan for a burning and identifiable tone, Si Rene Garcia ( Hotdog) who, although is not a technical player, he does have a great ear for compositions, Si Jim Paredes ng Apo --who many do not know is an excellent guitarist with a beautiful taste for arrangements. Sa Pinoy, dami talaga but not many are given the chance to shine.

Si Ramon Jacinto is not bad--he's actually a good player but is more focused on the 60's era which offers some difficult intrumentals from The Ventures and Dick Dale.

You put those guys togethere and then you'll have a real Guitarfest!

Regards! :D

hey 16th your back,,, mabuhay ka. at tama ka hindi nga to guitar festival. unlike duon sa inooffer ng rj dati... sana mag karoon uli ng parang guitar contest, alam ko meron non dati at parang ang nanalo nong una was perf de castro..nasan na kaya to..

p.s. sinu ba ang paborito nyong lokal na gitarista???

Hi guys!

Having worked my way through a variety of models (Ovation, Fender, Gibson etc..) I recently got a Line6 Variax modelling guitar (the guys who invented the POD effects unit). Its essentially a solid body guitar with a piezo pickup which channels the strings vibrations into an onboard computer which can emulate 20 or more sampled "classic" guitars, selected using through various combinations of a model button and a fiveway selector switch. The sounds range from a variety of vintage strats, teles and les pauls to gretch, Rickenbaker (including 12 strings), and gibson jazz models to Gibson accoustics and wilder things like National steel and Dobro resonators, a banjo and even a sitar.

Though some of the 12 string sounds are not ideal, it generally provides a near perfect simulation of the true models, including tone and volume characteristics. Line6 have also added software (Variax Workbench) which lets you set your own guitar/pickup/body combinations (say a fender body with gibson pickups etc), which also includes the ability to set string tones to alternate tunings, without physically touching the strings. So with 30 or more standard models and 10 user defined models for your own hybrid models and tunings, there is no shortage of different sounds.

I must admit that I was a little sceptical about what was possible at first, but now enjoy the luxury of being able to reproduce many "classic" sounds with one guitar. God only knows what it would cost to assemble them as individual guitars.

The relevant link to Line6 (including sound samples) is here:

http://line6.com/variax/

They just brought out a budget model also.

Enjoy!

PS my "real guitar" is a gibson nighthawk, which at least solves the problem of being torn eternally between a Les Paul and a Fender Strat:

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/Hawk/Nighthawk/images/Special3Pickup-gt.jpg

Edited by SnowKing69

Snowking:

The LIne 6 guitar is a wonderful tool! Medyo mahal lang but as I said before, Line6 is at the forefront of amp and guitar modelling technology.

It's agood guitar and I'm sure many other players will start to give it a more discerning look the next time they see one! Eric JOhnson once mentioned that every guitar has a song inside it and it takes an individual to find that song. The Line6, will certainly have quite a few.

I once had a Gibson Nighthawk but I sold it after less than a year. It was a beautiful guitar but I guess I was more suited and attracted to my Gibson Les Paul Custom. I sold my Nighthawk after I got the Les Paul Custom. Got my Nighthawk from an RJ clearance Sale for less around PhP 40th and then I sold it for the same amount.

Hi guys!

Having worked my way through a variety of models (Ovation, Fender, Gibson etc..) I recently got a Line6 Variax modelling guitar (the guys who invented the POD effects unit).  Its essentially a solid body guitar with a piezo pickup which channels the strings vibrations into an onboard computer which can emulate 20 or more  sampled "classic" guitars, selected using through various combinations of a model button and a fiveway selector switch.  The sounds range from a variety of vintage strats, teles and les pauls to gretch, Rickenbaker (including 12 strings), and gibson jazz models to Gibson accoustics and wilder things like National steel and Dobro resonators, a banjo and even a sitar.

Though some of the 12 string sounds are not ideal, it generally provides a near perfect simulation of the true models, including tone and volume characteristics.  Line6 have also added software (Variax Workbench) which lets you set your own guitar/pickup/body combinations (say a fender body with gibson pickups etc), which also includes the ability to set string tones to alternate tunings, without physically touching the strings.  So with 30 or more standard models and 10 user defined models for your own hybrid models and tunings, there is no shortage of different sounds.

I must admit that I was a little sceptical about what was possible at first, but now enjoy the luxury of being able to reproduce many "classic" sounds with one guitar.  God only knows what it would cost to assemble them as individual guitars.

The relevant link to Line6 (including sound samples) is here:

http://line6.com/variax/

They just brought out a budget model also.

Enjoy!

PS my "real guitar" is a gibson nighthawk, which at least solves the problem of being torn eternally between a Les Paul and a Fender Strat:   

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/Hawk/Nighthawk/images/Special3Pickup-gt.jpg

Hmmm... my humble suggestion is for you to check first the difference between a cheap pedal and a good one. There are times when buying a cheap wah pedal can result in the player losing interest in that effect or simply discarding the item after periods of non-usage simply because the item sounded thin or just plain bad.

A cheap brand can relatively sound bad and not even do what it was designed to do or even what it claims to be able to accomplish. Mura nga but... can you really use the sound or does it really help you sound better?

Its just that after playing the guitar for more than 30 years now I went through the same periods as you where I initially thought that baka pwude na yung mura. In the end, I got rid of many of those cheap items as they did not really help me.

Maybe as an alternative, you can buy a good branded second hand wah pedal from another player who does not use it anymore. Marami niyan sa Buy and Sell. You see-- Wah Pedals are not for everybody ad not many really use them in every gig or every song. Pag dating ng gipit, marami ang nagbebenta ng Wah or volume pedals.

On the other hand, not evefrything cheap is bad. I remember the mini pedals churned out by Danelectro. CHinese made but the effects are smooth and very useable. The Danelectro guitars were also very inxpensive but very playable and so are the new Artcore series from Ibanez.

Effects wise, one of the best ways you can check if a pedal is good or bad for you ( whether expensive or not) is to bring your own guitar to the music store and try it out using your own settings and preferably an amp that is close to what you got.

Suggestion lang naman... CHeers! :D

guys.. okey lang ba yung mumurahing wah-wah pedal? like century or daphon?

Please allow me to re-post here what Bods and I discussed over at the Hoochie Coochie thread.

Many times, pereceptive audience members notice that several players change guitars in a concert whenever playing slide. Here's mostly why:

Bods!

Very perceptive of you!

Yes, slide guitar requires the strings to be setup higher than the standard ones. Of course, some guitar players like Warren Haynes (formerly too of the Allman Bros) and Joe Walsh would use only one guitar on some instances.

However, many players find it easier to play slide with higher strings as this prevents the slide from hitting the frets --which in turn causes the annoying fret buzz.

Playing slide is different than playing in the standard manner. The slide must be placed ON TOP OF THE FRET WIRE instead of behind it and the strings depressed up to a point that it almost touches the fret wires -- again, almost touching it but not actually making contact. Any contact with between strings, fret wire and slide results in a buzz or off pitch notes.

Another reason why Clapton and other players change guitars when playing slide is that many of them prefer to PLAY GUITARS THAT ARE IN OPEN TUNING-- as this is also easier and faster for slide / Blues players.

OPEN TUNING is when a guitar is tuned to a SPECIFIC CHORD when strummed openly (without fretting any notes ). Duane Allman usually plays in in OPEN E as in Statesboro Blues while EC prefers OPEN G.

Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker and the rest of the Delta guys all played in open tunings -- they also played in standard EADGBE tuning as well. Preferences for Open Tuning are usually E, G and A but don't many players employ other chords as well.

The most bizarre for me is that Albert Collins play his Telecaster in an OPEN F#m tuning. He does not play slide and he does not use a pick--opting to pluck / pull strings with his bare fingers. Most of all he has a CAPO setup on the 7th fret!

Can't argue with a man who has sold so much records in his lifetime and played/jammed with the rest of them, eh?

:D

Another from the Blues thread: (guitar related kasi.. hope you don't mind my posting it here..)

=================================================

Bods!

Good question!

Slides are usually made of metal, glass or ceramic. Plastic will not sound very good for slides but you can be sure that sometime somewhere--a guitar player tried that material.

Slides also come in say.. gauges or thickness and weight. Personally, I use a heavy glass slide for my acoustic as my guitar has medium gauge strings ----and a medium to heavy metral slide for the electrics depending on my setup.

For my Godin which is slightly setup with strings low, I use a medium weight slide made from Stainless steel. The lighter weight prevents me from buzzing the low strings. For my Strat which is setup higher, I use a buffed steel slide with a heavier weight.

Slide playing, I believe - originated from delta blues players [but country players might say otherwise] who used everything from metal lighters to small swith blades. For these players, they played slide with the guitars on their laps. In the end, they fashioned glass slides out of emply Whiskey bottles by cutting off the necks.

Regards!

:D

WASHBURNS have been around for close to a century now and as such, the brand enjoys a good following. Their MG series were a big hit in the early 90's and so were the Bettencourt models. The nice thing about Washburn is that the the guitars usually came with hard cases as part of the package. Unfortunately now, the Chinese made ones have departed from this practice as they aimed to bring the prices lower.

The N1 model for example--based from Bettencourt's more famous N4 and N2 models-- is strictly bare bones in general to make it affordable. The going price is somewhere around PHp 10,000. However, the guitar also manages to come out with a few surprises.

I tried out one in the guitar shop lately and the guitar gave out a few niceties. First, though China made, the quality of workmanship was pretty good. The first N1 models, which came out in the 90's ( Korean made) had a couple of paint jobs that made the guitar look cheap--at least to my taste. I had always preferred the natural finish and it's good that the new series now sports the same, if not similar finish as the N2. The natural satin finish was done quite well and there were no lumps nor signs of bad work. The frets were crowned nicely and the neck was comfortably narrow and not too wide. The rosewood fretboard was fast. The guitar did not have a Floyd Rose trem as the N2 and N4 but it did have a basic Trem system which, to my expectations, was not really top of the line. Maybe an upgrade to a Floyd can be better but that would raise the prices at least PhP 4th more --something they had wanted to avoid.

The pick ups work quite well enough and there was no drop in volume or gain when switching from neck to the bridge unit. It is pleasng to know that the pickup coil switch - astandard feature on the N@ and N4 -- is also available in this guitar. The Bridge humbuckers gave a out a nice scream while the neck pickup is only slightly less hot. On the up front, this guitar is ofr aspiring shredders as I can't see any scenario where this ax will be used for anyting else.

PhP10,000? Not bad for a guitar in this class. Besides, its also one of the last remaining remnant of the 90's whicj still proudly weras a reverse headstock. Very cool indeed!

Here's what it looks like ( finished in Padauk )

post-6260-1127433594.jpg

i agree with 16 track. why dont you barrow wah pedals from friends and try them out? you can save big bucks not buying and selling wahs that you are not satisfied with. not all wah pedals sounds alike. i bought my morley pedal way back in the 90s coz its cheaper and it doesnt have the annoying potentiometer. when i was able to save some more i got myself a hendrix wah, i found out that morley has more piercing tone anf dunlops have more bass and wahs on it. both are great wahs. just a comment though. :)