Guitar Talk

I agree too with Telemeister on the wah options.

The Henrix model by Dunlop was patterned after the original pedal that Henrix used in the 60's. Given that the original blueprint was followed, the tone it will generate will be totally different from the new generation of Pedals from other manufacturers using modern technology.

Speaking of Wah usage, not everyone who has one actually uses the pedal as it was designed.

Diamond Darrell hardly every used his Wah but the pedal was an integral part of his cound chain. He employs the wah opened half way to change his mid range and usually right after the distortion. The pedal remained in his chain.

:D

i agree with 16 track.  why dont you barrow wah pedals from friends and try them out? you can save big bucks not buying and selling wahs that you are not satisfied with.  not all wah pedals sounds alike.  i bought my morley pedal way back in the 90s coz its cheaper and it doesnt have the annoying potentiometer.  when i was able to save some more i got myself a hendrix wah, i found out that morley has more piercing tone anf dunlops have more bass and wahs on it.  both are great wahs. just a comment though.  :)

Edited by 16track

i read kirk hammet and kerry king/jeff hanneman use their wah in the mid postion to boost up the mids. :) another thing, you dont use your wah just for the sake of having one, learing to play solos or using it on any part of a song requires practice and lots of familiarity. you just cant pump the pedal all the while otherwise youll sound like a police car gone mad :) cheers!

The Wah pedal is like the violin or the trumpet. In the hands of someone who knows how to use it, the instrument is wonderful to listen to. In contrast, a player who is not well versed in it's complexities (as just like pumping it to the beat) can sound lethargic.

The best players use the Wah as an expression and not just an effect.

Listen to the most famous Wah recordings for some tips:

1. Hendrix on Voodoo Chile

2. The theme from SHAFT

3. Vai on Bad Horsie

4. Clapton on White Room and Presence of the Lord

i read kirk hammet and kerry king/jeff hanneman use their wah in the mid postion to boost up the mids.  :) another thing, you dont use your wah just for the sake of having one, learing to play solos or using it on any part of a song requires practice and lots of familiarity.  you just cant pump the pedal all the while otherwise youll sound like a police car gone mad :) cheers!

SRV played the best cover of Hendrix' Little Wing. The version was simply the best that ever came out in terms of technicality, passion and just plain good old solid guitar playing.

After that version, anything else paled in comparison --except the one dine by Sting which was totally different as emphasis was more on Sting's vocal signature. Sting will always be Sting and he certainly has one of the finer tastes in rock music -- not to mention some golden work on the bass during his The Police days.

:)

SRV played the best cover of Hendrix' Little Wing. The version was simply the best that ever came out in terms of technicality, passion and just plain good old solid guitar playing.

After that version, anything else paled in comparison --except the one dine by Sting which was totally different as emphasis was more on Sting's vocal signature.  Sting will always be Sting and he certainly has one of the finer tastes in rock music -- not to mention some golden work on the bass during his The Police days.

:)

yeah pare great version by Sting!

hey guys, I dunno if this has been brought up here or if this is relevant but can anybody recommend an acoustic guitar for a 16 year old, let's say intermediate player. My son is graduating next summer and I have to replace the guitar he's been using since Grade 6. I'm looking for an excellent although not too expensive acoustic guitar that's available here....pakisabi na din where I can find them hehehe

cheers and thanks a lot!

hey guys, what's a pedal-steel guitar?

If you happened to watch the Crossroads Guitar fest, is this the guitar being used by the guitarist that accompanied Vince Gill - the unusual looking fat guitar that's played almost on the player's lap? the player uses a slide-like contraption on the fretboard and he has these things on his right thumb and forefinger that he uses to strum or pluck the strings................

i agree with 16 track.  why dont you barrow wah pedals from friends and try them out? you can save big bucks not buying and selling wahs that you are not satisfied with.  not all wah pedals sounds alike.  i bought my morley pedal way back in the 90s coz its cheaper and it doesnt have the annoying potentiometer.  when i was able to save some more i got myself a hendrix wah, i found out that morley has more piercing tone anf dunlops have more bass and wahs on it.  both are great wahs. just a comment though.  :)

I suggest you to get an IBANEZ WEEPING DEMON pedal.

This is great!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

speaking of wahs.. kirk hammet (over)uses em alot, but i dont think he's very good at it. i think he just uses them to cover up the fact that his solos are nothing more but the same pentatonic riffs hes been using ever since the k*ll em all days. i like kirk, but his solos could use a little variety.

the one song with excellent use of a wah that i can name of is steve vai's "for the love of god"..now THAT is how one uses a wah! how he uses it along with dips of the floyd is just excellent.. and those dolphin cries thing that he does at the end of the song is just one of its kind! :cool:

Edited by milhouse83

bods!

Nice seeing you again! Thanks also for the Pat Metheny and AL Di Meola copies, bro!

Let me return the favor by helping you with some tips on buying a good guitar.

1. A budget of PhP 7TH to PhP 12TH can get you a nice package that includes a good entry strap, strings, soft case with a Guitar good eneough for entry or intermediate levels. These starter packages are from Fender, Washburn, Peavey and Yamaha -- not sure oif Ibanez carries such models.

They can be purchased at Yupangco/ Yamaha stores, Perfect Pitch shops, Audiophiles and their dealers. The guitars are well made and manufactured under liscence in China. At this rate, you can expect the guitars to have a laminated spruce top and some wood similar to mahogany for the back and sides. It's a cinch to guess that these guitars all have the necessary required adjustable truss rods. It is expected that at this range, the finish on these guitars will not be as good as high priced models.

2. From the same shops, you can go a bit higher {ballpark of PhP14th to PhP22} and you can get your kid a very nice and early Christmas present. At this range, you can already get a low-end Seagull made by Godin in Canada for around PhP 22th sale, a an excellent CHinese made Ibanez -with or without onboard elecrtronics, a Chinese made Peavey, An indonesian made Yamaha with or without pickups and others. At this prices, Ibanez even offers models WITH SOLID TOPS whicb can make all the differenc ein sound, volume and clarity.

My suggestion is for you to wait a while as there will be "HANDOG SALE" by Yupangco and Perfect Pitch this October. Their prices can really go way down on some models.

IMPORTANT:

1. Please bring your kid when you buy the guitar. The guitar's neck must feel comfortable in his hands. There are several sizes of necks available ( even for the same models as there are also different sizes of hands/ fingers) and trying them out can spell the difference between playing the guitar comfortably or with difficulty.

2. Insist on trying out a guitar. Don't buy from a store that does not allow you to test out the guitars.

3. When you decide to buy a particular model, insist that it be new. The guitar should come straight from a box and not from the display rack.

4. Check out the finish as there should be no scratches or bubbles. If you want to, such items can be basis for more discounts. Check for neck deformities. A neck should be straight. You can do this by

aligning your vision from the bridge to the nut using the strings as guide.

5. If it comes with electronics, make sure to check the pickup and jacks if it ithey are functioning. Plug into an acoustic amp and check all the knobs or sliders in the guitars controls. Any buzzing or noise might be a sign of bad wiring so be aware.

6. Insist on a truss rod that can be adjusted. This can be a life saver and will definitely make your playing enjoyable.

7. If the strings are corroded or rusty, ask the shop for a fresh set. They should give this for free.

8. Check out frets. They should be even and well crowned as some badly installed frets can gash you fingers--especially when sliding up and down the board.

9. Prefer sealed and metal tuners. The plastic ones break easily.

10. Play the guitar and check for fret buzz. If they are present, ask the shop tech to adjust the action to get rid of the buzz. If the buzz is still there even after the adjustment, be wary as there might be something(s) wrong with it. Could be uneven frets, warped neck, Badly cut nut, or bad bridge. Get another unit if possible.

11. Check string spacing as they should be even.

12. Play the guitar as the volume should be good and the strings should be clear individually or when strummed.

Dami pa really but these can be a good start in buying a new guitar.

Cheers!

:D

yeah pare great version by Sting!

hey guys, I dunno if this has been brought up here or if this is relevant but can anybody recommend an acoustic guitar for a 16 year old, let's say intermediate player. My son is graduating next summer and I have to replace the guitar he's been using since Grade 6. I'm looking for an excellent although not too expensive acoustic guitar that's available here....pakisabi na din where I can find them hehehe

cheers and thanks a lot!

Edited by 16track

Hey guys. I've been playing guitar since I was 14... and believe me, that was a long time ago hehe. This is actually my 4th electric guitar, but my first real one, considering all of my early ones were local imitations (I call them Sta. Mesacasters, bec. that's were I bought 'em) of the venerable Fender Strat. This one's a Yamaha Pacifica with a Dimarzio Super Distortion humbucking pickup at the bridge (a DYI job) with the stock bridge pickup move to the neck position. The single coil at the middle stay as is.

where did you get you dimarzio super dist? how does it sound bro?

I bought it from RJ at the Galleria around way back '96. It was priced at 2500PHP I think. It was more expensive than the guitar I had then (a Sta. Mesa strat clone) hehe. Now it's installed in my Pacifica. I liked its sound because it fits the music I usually play (metal, rock or punk). It's a bit harsh for blues though.

Hey guys.  I've been playing guitar since I was 14... and believe me, that was a long time ago hehe.  This is actually my 4th electric guitar, but my first real one, considering all of my early ones were local imitations (I call them Sta. Mesacasters, bec. that's were I bought 'em) of the venerable Fender Strat.  This one's a Yamaha Pacifica with a Dimarzio Super Distortion humbucking pickup at the bridge (a DYI job) with the stock bridge pickup move to the neck position.  The single coil at the middle stay as is.

PASAWAY!!! :grr:

Dmo man lang niliitan ung picture ng gitara mo... Joke!!! Hehe.. :lol:

It looked nice DUDE. :thumbsupsmiley:

May I know how much did you spend for the D'MARZIO HB pickup ??? :blush:

I'm planning to change my guitar's (look at that IBANEZ GXR370 Silver Burst) bridge pickup as well with D'MARZIO but AUDIOPHILE is selling those single pickups for 2,800 already. WOW!!! :boo: How much would that be for a Double HB.... :rolleyes:

KEEP ON ROCKIN & F*CKIN GUYS!!! :mtc:

Anyone here also sells GTR. FX.

Preferable ZOOM 707 II or DIGITECH GNX / RP200 effects ???

Pls. PM me. Budget for ZOOM 707 II would be 6K - 7K.

Should be JAPAN made not CHINA for ZOOM. :thumbsupsmiley:

i used to own a zoom 707 II, but i sold it in exchange for a digitech rp80. yung zoom, sa distortion lang okay. kuha niya yung scooped metallica/pantera dist.

digitech naman, hindi pang metal yung distortion. pang ledzep/ac dc/sabbath lang. pero kuhang kuha yung "little wing" & "nothing else matters" tone.

wah sucks on both units (as expected). pero maganda yung whammy & yah effect ng digitech.

I have a simple setup:

For a bluesy/ classic rock gig, my effects are chained in the follwiing manner:

My signal goes through a Boss Chorus followed by a Boss Acoustic simulator, then a Boss DS1 and then Blues Driver. The Boss Blues Driver is usually used as my primary distortion but the DS1 is turned on when I want to have the extra bite for solos. The Acoustic Simulator works very well with the Chorus.

For a longer and more modern gig, my setup consists mainly of my Zoom 707II which seems to cover all the sounds I need. Some of the pre-sets are ok but I twiddled with the others more to my taste--like the Pat Metheny setting--which I tweaked with lesser chorus and less mids but paired with a different cabinet and speaker setting.

I used to have a Korg AX1 which I loved but I don't use anymore on stage as it did not have a back lit display. Very hard to see in a dimly lit stage.

As for amps, I play whatever is available in the club or stage. If I know the sound system provider--then I request for Fender amps with two 12 inch speakers or a Roland JC120. Usually kasi, you go on stage and there's already a setup-- mostly with amps in bad shape.

mga pre pano ba setup nyo ng effects? kc analog at digital ang gamit ko, pero gus2 ko din ng effects ng tube amp ko. pakisabi nmn setup nyo. thanks.  :cool: