Guitar Talk

pashare nanan ng mga scales and exercises for 7-string, i just got mine and i'm currently orienting myself with the extra special string. it's been with me for around three nights pa lang pero di ko na sya mabitawan. that seventh string opened a portal to new dimensions!!! astig

aside from "the same" traditional scales, i saw something in the internet that broke the rules of scale theories. it kinda sounded good though, ang kulit nung scale bro, sad that i wasn't able to print it. hanapin ko ulit.

sorry i wasn't that specific nung namention ko na i'm looking for seven-string scales, what i'm actually talking about is those that are like what i've mentioned above.

it looks like this pero i'm not so sure:

E - 12---13---15

B - 12---13---15

G - 12---13---15

D - 12---13---15

A - 12---13---15

E - 12---13---15

B - 12---13---15

basta parallel lahat

ang kulit talaga pero it sounded sice playing with it

Wow! ang ganda naman ng guitar mo dude! papano nga pla yung string mo? hindi ba mahirap mghanap ng string para sa guitar mo?

Hirap nga maghanap ng strings e. Naubusan na ng stock sa Audiophile & di pa dumadating bagong shipment. So bumibili lang ako ng 6 string na set muna sa ngayon & di ko napapalitan yung low B string. Baka magpabili na lang ako sa States kung di na oorder yung Audiophile.

Sino po ang merong CD, MP3 or tapes ng Backdraft and "Manlalakbay" of Dahong palay? pa share naman please. or yung mga songs ni steve vai or Joe sat played using 7-string guitar. kahit for sale or for share heheheeh paki inform naman po ako. maraming salamat.

- guitarista kuno -

i think madami factors to get a good fat sounding guitar. for a safer yet cheaper alternative you can go for pick up replacement or try a heavier string set. if you have the dough go ahead and try couple of guitars of different woods and necks, try set necks, nech thrus and bolt ons. minsan kasi di dahil parehas ng model and components eh magkatunog. happy hunting dude! :)

Hmmmm... please let me just add that we all have to take note that a guitar is only half the equation. Getting a fat sound would require a good amp setup as well.

Many guitar players tend to forget that amplifiers contribute so much to the sound one makes. It is the combination of a good guitar, effects and amp setup that creates the fat sound. This is why when buying a new amp, I always recommend that buyers should bring their guitars with them to test the amp --or at least use a guitar similar to what they own.

Even the heaviest 7 string guitar tuned to "C" will sound thin and wimpy when played through a bad amp.

In the 60's and early 70's, there were not much effects available and yet some of the heaviest riffs and guitar sounds were put on record. Black Sabath, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Deep Purple. Foghat, Uriah Heep are just examples of heavy guitar sounds that relied more on their combined amp and guitar setup for effect.

In his brief yet inspiring solo in GnR's version of Bob Dylan's "Knockin on Heaven's Door", Slash had a heavy guitar tone which was very recognizeable. Those who are familiar with that sound knows that Slash employed an old setup utilized by Eric Clapton in Bluesbreaker days.

The setup had a Les Paul paired with a Marshall amp and with the gain past halfway. The Les Paul's pickup setting has the switch in the middle where both neck and bridge pickups are ON. The difference here is that the TONE pot for the bridge pickup is rolled all the way down. The resulting sound is what you hear on many GnR solos and early Clapton. Of course, even when they use similar setups, the tone itself are different as both players have their own styles of playing which are easily identfiable.

Jimmy page employs the same trick and so does Ritchie Sambora. This is why you would see these payers constantly fiddling around with their guitar knobs when playing live.

Rock ON!

Edited by 16track

arrrgh!!! you got it 16track! amps nga pala i forgot hahaha yeah tube amps or transistor its your call! :) i dont pay much attention to amps lately, theyre a bit more expensive. try the entry level first. meron dyan ok yun line 6 ok din yun sound. you can also try behringer...but again if you have the money go for the tubes hehehe mabigat lang sa bulsa but its worth it.

HI Mike!

While your inquiry seems simple enough, it does entail a few more items than just price. If I may offer the following? [hope you don't mind]

1. What sort of lessons would you prefer? This is important as there are as many teachers as there are lessons. Classical? Folk? Pop? Rock? Blues? Heavy Metal or FUsion/ Jazz?

2. At what level shall the lessons begin? Another important itme as there are lessons for beginners and advanced levels of playing.

3. Do you have your own instrument? If not, it is important to get one as lessons need to be practiced in order to absorb them.

4. Do you prefer acoustic or Electric? Some people may be surprised at how different those two types are.

5. Do you prefer home lessons or would you rather go to a studio?

There are quite a lot of teachers advertisng their services in newspapers [buynSell is one fo them] and where they do offer home lessons. For some, on the otherhand, a studio is the better place to learn as you will be in a physical musical environment. Lessons from RJ and Yamaha/ Yupangco are done, I believe, in 12 sessions in their studios. I'm not sure of the rates now but the lessons offered by RJ and Yamaha/ Yupangco are really systematic and many students who took their lessons there are very good players.

Every good and qualified teacher would ask you the questions that I listed above. Be wary of anyone who does not ask you those questions.

On the otherhand, if what you were referring to are simple strum de strum playing, then you don't even need a teacher as Jingle magazine has chord charts and a few tips that a beginner truly interested in learning can easily follow.

Happy Playing!

:D

if anyone  can suggest a good guitar lesson at a descent  price,, just post  it in here,,, thanks

Edited by 16track

Telemaster:

Have you noticed how amps have really gotten so expensive these days? Not only in Manila and the US but everywhere else!

Tube amps used to be the only ones that are expensive but these days even the electronic/ transistor amps are semmingly off the market for many players...

Sigh... This is why I foreced myself to buy on 12 months installment a Fender Dleuxe 112 as it is one of the last Transistor amps made by Fender in the US. All others are now China, Mexico and Korea. I have no regrets on that decision as I bought the amp 3 years ago--now I see all the amps are priced way higher than what I got.

What amp(s) do you have now?

P.S. BTW, my friend said there is still a Lazer Store in SM fairview--kung malapit ka doon. :D

arrrgh!!! you got it 16track! amps nga pala i forgot hahaha yeah tube amps or transistor its your call! :) i dont pay much attention to amps lately, theyre a bit more expensive. try the entry level first. meron dyan ok yun line 6 ok din yun sound. you can also try behringer...but again if you have the money go for the tubes hehehe mabigat lang sa bulsa but its worth it.

Edited by 16track

yeah. i dnt understand why amps are getting expensive nowadays. im not really an amp freak but im hoping i could salvage a really good amp for a good price. im still using my old amp, college days pa itong valvestate ko. alam mo naman sa pinas hehehe madugo ang bisyo na ito unless anak ka nag burgoise hehehe

im planning to get a good guitar. fender american series is way too far fetched...1st dealer here doesnt have any stock and 2nd its way to pricey, ang laki ng marp up nila. i have to settle for a good japanese guitar i think. after the guitar im gonna be looking for a good amp. pero at the moment if my budget will allow me im thinking about these line 6 line up :)

What Valvestate do you have?

I used to have one of the first 30watters thathey sold here. The concept was good as trying to come up with a tube tone from solidstae components but I don't Marshall was quite successful with it. Peavey was into that concept long before Fender and Marshall, though.

Mt Valvestate broke down so often that I got tired of having it fixed and just gave it to my brother who still uses it to this day. Makes me wonder if it was the way I used the amp that made it break down often.. :) ?

yeah. i dnt understand why amps are getting expensive nowadays. im not really an amp freak but im hoping i could salvage a really good amp for a good price.  im still using my old amp, college days pa itong valvestate ko.  alam mo naman sa pinas hehehe madugo ang bisyo na ito unless anak ka nag burgoise hehehe

im planning to get a good guitar. fender american series is way too far fetched...1st dealer here doesnt have any stock and 2nd its way to pricey, ang laki ng marp up nila.  i have to settle for a good japanese guitar i think. after the guitar im gonna be looking for a good amp.  pero at the moment if my budget will allow me im thinking about these line 6 line up :)