Guitar Talk

Hmmm... well... unfortunately, all the branded acoustic travel guitars -- just like their normal sized siblings-- are all expensive. Tacoma, Martin, Taylor and the rest of them are all pricey. Not to mention that almost all of them are not readily available here as well.

The Baby Taylor is a good sized model like the Tacoma but the Martin Travel model is just way too small for me. The best alternative I came across with here with almost the same mini-dimensions are the Taiwan made number being peddled by JB music --although they are nylon string guitars. I have not seen any steel stringed models.

The Taiwan minis are sold somewhere below PhP 3,000. I actually bought one of these minis 3 years ago in a Sale for PhP1,100 and the guitar surpisingly plays well.

ei guys...what brand of acoustic "travel guitar" do you recommend? Taylor is way too expensive :D

Thanks bro 16track...

i saw some RJ mini travel guitars in their shop..they cost around 2,500.but they sound kinda flat...il check out the ones sold in JB Music stores :D

Those acoustic guitars sold at JB stores aren't that good at all. :thumbsdownsmiley: I remembered the one's branded ROCKER guitars. By the way, if you would like a good sounding guitar, I suggest you get a YAMAHA or LES PAUL at RJ instead. The price maybe a bit steep but it's worth it. :thumbsupsmiley:

Well we were actually referring to the mini-guitars at JB and these were nylon stringed models. The one I got certainly plays well--even for its price of Php 1,110. Really good to have the small guitar around for that trip to Baguio or to the beach as it does not take a lot of space. I had abuddy who played that guitar at the back seat of my car on the way to and back from Baguio-- beats the radio anytime! :)

Granted that JB sells cheap Taiwan and China made models [and to which many of them are really bad], not all acoustic guitars sold by JB are bad as they also sell Applause and Ovation and Hamer [which are all owned by the same company, KAMAN].

For electrics or acoustics, there are many other options than just Yamaha at the same price level as there are also Yamaha models that aren't that good either.

As for RJ... hmmm.. I find it really bizarre that he would sell a guitar and call it Les Paul or Stratocater or Brian May or Tele or PRS or Musicman or 335. These are all registered trademarks and brands. The companies that own these brands spends millions in product development. It's bad enough that RJ copies the designs mercilessly, he still had to get the names as well.

Don't get me wrong, as I like Ramon Jacinto and have even alternated with him in several gigs. I like the fact that he provides employment to many people and that he makes money out of his lifetime passion.... but to copy guitars and call it as your own is something else.

Those acoustic guitars sold at JB stores aren't that good at all.  :thumbsdownsmiley: I remembered the one's branded ROCKER guitars. By the way, if you would like a good sounding guitar, I suggest you get a YAMAHA or LES PAUL at RJ instead. The price maybe a bit steep but it's worth it. :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by 16track
Well we were actually referring to the mini-guitars at JB and these were nylon stringed models. The one I got certainly plays well--even for its price of Php 1,110. Really good to have the small guitar around for that trip to Baguio or to the beach as it does not take a lot of space. I had abuddy who played that guitar at the back seat of my car on the way to and back from  Baguio-- beats the radio anytime!  :)

Granted that JB sells cheap Taiwan and China made models [and to which many of them are really bad], not all acoustic guitars sold by JB are bad as they also sell Applause and Ovation and Hamer [which are all owned by the same company, KAMAN].

For electrics or acoustics, there are many other options than just Yamaha at the same price level as there are also Yamaha models that aren't that good either. 

As for RJ... hmmm.. I find it really bizarre that he would sell a guitar and call it Les Paul or Stratocater or Brian May or Tele or PRS or Musicman or 335. These are all registered trademarks and brands. The companies that own these brands spends millions in product development.  It's bad enough that RJ copies the designs mercilessly, he still had to get the names as well.

Don't get me wrong, as I like Ramon Jacinto and have even alternated with him in several gigs. I like the fact that he provides employment to many people and that he makes money out of his lifetime passion.... but to copy guitars and call it as your own is something else.

Yeah, I agree. RJ does copy some branded and famous guitar models. That's sad. :thumbsdownsmiley:

By the way, I saw a JACKSON series guitar at RJ sold for 20K+. I wonder if it's original/authentic or just one of the copycats he made. :blush:

If I remember right, Jackson Guitars have been purchased by Fender a couple of years ago. This is why GA Yupangco now carries the Jackson brand in their line-up. I was at their Main Office along Buendia and saw a few of the Jackson models there on display.

Fender has also bought all the operations of Guild Guitars. Guild was in danger of closing down and Fender came in so the excellent brand continues today.

Yupangco still has not brought in the Guild guitars but that's what I'm waiting for. The acoustic models and the jazz/ rockabilly models are something I've been aching to have for so long.

Cheers!

I was in another guitar thread in another board and there was a discussion there on the subject of Signature Guitars.

I was surprised to know that many in that board actually preferred not buying such models for several reasons. Among them are:

1. The Signature Models are too expensive and the cost is never justified. The endorser's share adds greatly to the price.

2. Would you really want to play a guitar (on or off stage ) with someone else's name on it?

3. Some models were not really designed by the endorsers.

4. There are many other other better models or just as good and they cost half the price.

5. Modifying a stock guitar and making it your own model is easy enough and won't cost as much.

6. Owning one won't make you play or sound better.

Hmmm... What do you think?

:)

Edited by 16track

precisely mr. 16track!, aside from the fact that they are really, really expensive, i'm not into the idea of being know as a guitarist who plays somebody else's signature guitar. perhaps it's pride... but i'd rather customize a stock model - which i am doing right now - and be remembered as the "not-so-good-guitarist" with his own cool guitar.

and indeed, playing a jem series won't make me play like Steve Vai.

kung filthy rich ka siguro, it's ok for collection purposes. i don't know kasi i'm not in that status ahihihihihihi

text me or pm me, 0920-9616347

All items are in 100% working condition, home use only. I will give all items a 10/10 rating, good sound, reliability and value.

Items are for sale because of new my equipments.

Fw3 wah wah - 3.5 k w/ box

DS7 - 3.5k

TS7 - 4.5k

SM7 - 3.5 k

CS3 w/box - sold :lol:

GCB95 - sold :lol:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/jun_gats/boss_fw-3_001.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/jun_gats/Ibanezeffects.jpg

Hi There! :)

What guitar are you modifying now? Anong modifications?

Just like you, I also am into modifcations on a stock guitar. Usually, pick up replacements, pick guard replacements, change Tuning heads, roller nuts for me on a Stratocaster are what I do.

Cheers! :cool:

precisely mr. 16track!, aside from the fact that they are really, really expensive, i'm not into the idea of being know as a guitarist who plays somebody else's signature guitar. perhaps it's pride... but i'd rather customize a stock model - which i am doing right now - and be remembered as the "not-so-good-guitarist" with his own cool guitar.

and indeed, playing a jem series won't make me play like Steve Vai.

kung filthy rich ka siguro, it's ok for collection purposes. i don't know kasi i'm not in that status ahihihihihihi

currently i'm working on my RJ Ibañez copy. hirap nga lang maghanap ng pickups for 7-string kasi i have to order them on the net pa. hinihintay ko pa perfect pitch kasi by january daw they'll be having some EVO 7.

as for the scheduled modifications, i'll have my guitar's neck and body shaved to make the higher frets more accesible, tapos refinishing na rin afterwards. i hope it will come out good.

IMO mas practical kasi gawing "lab rat" yung murang guitars as long as they are made of good wood. you'll never know, the quest for the holy grail of tones might end with the finished modified guitar :)

Hi There! :)

What guitar are you modifying now? Anong modifications?

Just like you, I also am into modifcations on a stock guitar. Usually, pick up replacements, pick guard replacements, change Tuning heads, roller nuts for me on a Stratocaster are what I do.

Cheers! :cool:

cynthia alexander is fine guitar player indeed and plays bass too...if you could still remember tha band HAYP. earning the right to win as best guitar player or guitar player of the year depends on the taste of the judges or in the modern era, voting (texting the votes if there is any). i guess we cannot define the criteria why she won. its like asking ano mas masarap na food? it all depends on your taste diba? pwedeng magaling sayo sa iba hindi. when i was a kid i always thought malmsteen could kick clapton, jeck, page or even hendrix's ass but then again i was wrong :) cheers!

Sounds good!

I agree that making the cheap guitars as lab rats are the better choice. Hindi masakit pag may mali. :D

Several famous guitars that started out as experiments were Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstein guitar and Nuno Bettencourt's axe. Nuno had his guitar's body and neck ( a Strat copy ) shaved as well. The body was cut down and reduced to a smaller size and the neck allowed access to the higher frets. Humbuckers were installed and so was a floyd rose original. The package was completed with a coil tap switch. The result was the N1 which Washburn then liscenced as the Bettencourt model.

Van Halen slapped together different body parts ( hence, it was called the Frankenstein guitar ), dropped a single Bridge humbucker, a single knob for volume ( no tone controls ) and took out the neck and middle pickups (the pickups are there but they are not wired). The package was completed with a Floyd and then given the famous striped paint ( it was yellow and black at first--before getting the more popular red/ white and black design).

Who would have known that this Frankenstein would revolutionize the guiar world when Eddie used the axe for Eruption?

Heheh! Rock on!

:cool:

currently i'm working on my RJ Ibañez copy. hirap nga lang maghanap ng pickups for 7-string kasi i have to order them on the net pa. hinihintay ko pa perfect pitch kasi by january daw they'll be having some EVO 7.

as for the scheduled modifications, i'll have my guitar's neck and body shaved to make the higher frets more accesible, tapos refinishing na rin afterwards. i hope it will come out good.

IMO mas practical kasi gawing "lab rat" yung murang guitars as long as they are made of good wood. you'll never know, the quest for the holy grail of tones might end with the finished modified guitar :)

Edited by 16track

it's nice to hear these stories sir, somehow inspired me more to pursue my project. hopefully i could come out with some kind of an erruption afterwards ahhahahahah. in my dreams

Several famous guitars that started out as experiments were Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstein guitar and Nuno Bettencourts axe. Nuno had his guiatar's body and neck  ( a Strat copy ) shaved as well.

Heheh! Rock on!

:cool: