Guitar Talk

Hi there!

As Dr. Love mentioned, it's really a matter of preference when it comes to Active or passive pickups.

One thing for sure however is that Active Pickups have been around long enough now to make it's presence felt in the guitar world. Countless Session players and artists employ active pickups in records and in concerts.

Almost all major guitar manufacturers have a model or series that are equipped with active electronics.

According to active pickup users, Gain wise, active electronics can push your signal right through longer cables or through chains of effects as opposed to passive pickups which experience some signal loss for the same chain. Additionally, another thing they claim is that -GENERALLY-- control of tone is easier to handle as the sound remains the same even at lower volume settings of the pickups. This is in contrast to passive pickups when the guitar's tone mellows down a lot when the volume pot is set low and then the gain only kicks in when set to 10. --But there is more to it than that I am sure as passive pickups players actually prefer being able to control the gain on their pickups manually. Besides, a boost for lead solos is only a pedal away. Lastly, active pickups can also be designed to behave like passive ones in terms of gain control -- except that it does so with a great deal of noice reduction.

For Fender, there are now models of the Precision and Jazz Bass that sports active pickups as well as the more traditional passive ones -but these are not readily available here in Manila.

EMGs have a good lineup of active electronics but there are other Brands too!

Cheers!

anybody here who could  enlighten  me on which  pick up is better - active or passive? - for a bass guitar ?

Edited by 16track

thanks mga brod kac im planning to have both kinds in my rig my plans are passive ung sa mid part then active ung sa may bridge kaso medyo pinag aaralan ko pa ung tunog n gusto ko pa iba iba kac ung preference depending on the music d b , well any way thanks keep updated kung ano mangyayari

Yep.

Dimebag Darrel was one of the forces that continue to push the guitar's limits beyond the standard lines.

He entered a guitar contest when he was like 14 years old and smoked everyone else by playing "Eruption" note for note. He was actually the last contestant for the day and before he came o stage, the judges more or less had a winner in mind. However, after hearing him play, Dime was declared the no constest winner.

His prize? A Dean ML Guitar. He used the Dean for so long but the time that he became famous and was looking for an endorsement, Dean was also in hibernation. Dimebag then signed a contract offered by Washburn.

A couple of years back, Dean re-emerged and got the Dime endorsement.

yeah...random act of senseless violence.  grabe bat ganyan sa US dami sira? hahaha nasa kanila na lahat ah, serial killer, stalkers, lahat ata ng klase ng krimen hehehe

thanks mga brod  kac  im planning  to  have  both  kinds in  my  rig  my plans are passive  ung sa mid part then active ung sa may bridge kaso medyo pinag aaralan ko pa ung tunog n gusto ko pa iba iba kac ung preference depending on the music  d b , well any way  thanks keep updated kung ano mangyayari

That's what I did in my P-bass. The P pick-up is still stock & I added an EMG extended series pick-up on the bridge. The P pick-up sounded much better to my ears after I installed the EMG. It made me play that bass more even though I am a guitarist. :)

Edited by Dr.Love

I agree with you. The Dean had more to it than the Washburn. Better finish, better sound-better craftsmanship. At the end of it all, the Dean was expectedly more expensive but it was worth it.

Dean said in an interview that he actually based the ML model from combining 2 Gibson models-- the Flying V and the Explorer-- to come out with something new. A bit heavy but the guitar was surprisingly well balanced although a bit hard to play when sitting down.

Rock on!

di ko type yun washburn. too commercialize for my taste. mas ok yun dean imho lang po  :)

question: a friend sold me a jazz bass. i had it restored a couple of months back. problem is, the knobs are grounded (i think). should i get it fixed or just sell it? any advice would be very much appreciated. thanks

kung knobs lng, if u know a little electronics then u cud actually replace it yourself, in some cases the contact cleaners cud do the trick , but with regards to selling it , its actually your choice...

Try to play this song... I asure you, you will enjoy it.

All I Want Is You

U2

INTRO

For the intro, simply thumb pick A and D chords on an acoustic guitar.

VERSE 1

A D

You say you want

A D

A diamond on a ring of gold

A D

You say you want

A D

Your story to remain untold

F#m D

For all the promises we've make

F#m D

From the cradle to the grave

A D

When all I want is you

You say you'll give me

A highway with no one on it

Treasure just to look upon it

All the riches in the night

You say you'll give me

Eyes in a moon of blindness

A river in a time of dryness

A harbour in the tempest

Chorus

You say you want

Your love to work out right

To last with me through the night

You say you want

Diamonds on a ring of gold

Your story to remain untold

Your love not to grow cold

Chorus

G Cadd9

You...all I want is...

G Cadd9

You...all I want is...

G Cadd9

You...all I want is...

G Cadd9

You...

kung knobs lng,  if u know a little electronics then u cud actually replace it yourself, in some cases the contact cleaners cud do the trick , but with regards to selling  it , its actually your choice...

i agree, you could buy the pots (potentiometers) in any electronics store. just make sure of the value on them and be careful when you solder them on. poor soldering may affect your tone.

Dean said in an interview that he actually based the ML model from combining 2 Gibson models-- the Flying V and the Explorer--

Rock on!

im surprised he wasnt talking about the caddy model. you could clearly see les paul, explorer, and flying v, on this guitar. dean is really capitalizing on dime's death. meanwhile, there's almost no mention of him on the washburn website. i went there to look for pictures of the dime stealth model, and its not there anymore!

http://www.deanguitars.com/content/imagelib2/electhumbs/caddy.jpg

well , in my personal preference i like washburn's  crisp  sound  for bass guitar  po, but  i also like yamaha's 

tone as well

enki , long time no hear  musta n

i'm ok, bro. tks for asking. meron ako video clip ni victor wooten (yung super bassist ni bela fleck) in case you are interested.

does anyone have feedback about amps made by behringer?

i'm thinking of buying a bass combo amp and i've narrowed it down to a SWR LA15

and a behringer BX1200 pero mas mahal yung SWR.

any input is appreciated. thanks!

i'm ok, bro. tks for asking. meron ako video clip ni victor wooten (yung super bassist ni bela fleck) in case you are interested.

does anyone have feedback about amps made by behringer?

i'm thinking of buying a bass combo amp and i've narrowed it down to a SWR LA15

and a behringer BX1200 pero mas mahal yung SWR.

any input is appreciated. thanks!

yes tol lam m nman e mail add ko d b? well, for bass amps usually perfect pitch and audiophile maganda ung mga choices dun, still planning to get a new bass amp also any suggestions