cnong bangko ang nag oofer?

and how much is the minimum fund needed to open a mutual funds?

and also what is the interest rate?

Banks do not usually offer Mutual Funds. They offer UITF's (see separate thread). Investment houses sell Mutual Funds. Two examples are Sun Life of Canada and Philam.

The minimum for most funds is about 10,000 pesos.

There is NO FIXED / GUARANTEED return for mutual funds. You CAN LOSE a substantial amount of your principal if the fund performs badly. For 2006, if you had held your fund from Jan. 1, 2006 to the end of the year, you would have made anywhere from 6% to 76%. For this year, MOST funds are up but there is no guarantee that they can maintain their performance. ALL mutual funds carry risks and it is up to you if you are willin to accept those risks.

Edited by Talley
Banks do not usually offer Mutual Funds. They offer UITF's (see separate thread). Investment houses sell Mutual Funds. Two examples are Sun Life of Canada and Philam.

The minimum for most funds is about 10,000 pesos.

There is NO FIXED / GUARANTEED return for mutual funds. You CAN LOSE a substantial amount of your principal if the fund performs badly. For 2006, if you had held your fund from Jan. 1, 2006 to the end of the year, you would have made anywhere from 6% to 76%. For this year, MOST funds are up but there is no guarantee that they can maintain their performance. ALL mutual funds carry risks and it is up to you if you are willin to accept those risks.

thanks for the reply,

i understand that all investemnet involved risk, between Mutual funds and UITF which among the two is more conservative when it comes with risk?

im looking for a long term investment (10 -15 years) lets say 150K pesos, am i better with UITF or Mutual funds?

Cheers,

thanks for the reply,

i understand that all investemnet involved risk, between Mutual funds and UITF which among the two is more conservative when it comes with risk?

im looking for a long term investment (10 -15 years) lets say 150K pesos, am i better with UITF or Mutual funds?

Cheers,

Honestly, the risks of a bond UITF and a bond Mutual fund are quite similar since they invest in pretty similar instruments. The main difference would lie in the risk of the company running the fund (a bank or investment house) going belly up. To minimize this, go with the bigger institutions with good records. For MF's, Sun Life, Philam and the Ayala group. For UITF's, BDO, BPI and Metro.

Honestly, the risks of a bond UITF and a bond Mutual fund are quite similar since they invest in pretty similar instruments. The main difference would lie in the risk of the company running the fund (a bank or investment house) going belly up. To minimize this, go with the bigger institutions with good records. For MF's, Sun Life, Philam and the Ayala group. For UITF's, BDO, BPI and Metro.

For banks, UITFs are considered as contingent liabilities, like all the other trust assets. This simply means they are not considered as part of the bank's assets in case the bank is forced to pay off creditors (like depositors). Strictly they are not part of the bank's properties but are held for beneficiaries so in case a bank is closed down, the UITF assets will simply be given to another trustee bank. This is why trust accounts, including UITFs, are not covered by the Philippine Deposit Insurance Corporation (PDIC).

• 2 months later...
hello guys newbie here..any new info??...i have an eye on these things right now(mutual funds and uitfs)...all input will be highly appreciated..up me lng to...those who've been doing these things before...share nman po ng insights...mski anu...it hepls..thnks..

Click on the orange lettering on my signature to access my thread on UITFs.

• 2 weeks later...

I need help guys. i have a few cash in excess that im planning on investing. maliit lang nmn. Let say im willing to invest 10k to 20k just to test the market. san ko mgandang ilagay? im willing to let it stay nmn ng long term e kc excess nga. Gus2 ko lng ung hindi nmn patalo kung mginvest ako kc kung gnun lng din e d s gmik n lng gastusin hehehehe. But kidding aside im dead serious. mtgal tgal n din kc ako ngwowork and feeling ko d gnun kbilis ung pglago ng pera ko s simpleng savings account lang. i just wanna try something else. Advise lang mga boss. Slamat.

Im browsing Philequity fund Inc 's website and i do not see any options on how to make the innitial investment by paying using cash. all i can see is how to open an account by sending a check. Do they offer the option of using cash when opening an account? advise nmn po.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lene
from money smarts by salve duplito

http://www.inquirerbloggers.net/moneysmart...n-2006/#more-42

If you are looking for a place to park your money, make sure that you check their prospectus, understand the risks and the nature of this investment, and how each fund makes investment decisions. Analyze the stability of the fund, its compatibility with your investment goals and look at performance over the long-term. Don’t skip the part where loads and commissions of each fund are explained.

I think this is what every new investor should look out for - not all mutual funds are created equal. The reported ROI ( return on investment) might be impressive but if you deduct the sales loads/commissions, it will come out much much lower to you. If you want to compare mutual funds of different institutions, try to check if there is a sales load ( some don't charge any) and deduct this first so you can compare the actual ROI to the investor.

kasama talaga sa negosyo yan. kailangan pakitain mo din yung mag-tratrabaho para sa iyo.

no one works for free. (parating may kapalit yan, kanya kanya na lang kung ano gusto nilang form of payment)

your absolutely right dude! all companies must charge for whatever services they may have. some might say that they have no charge but the reality is it's already inclusive in the package. What you should look for is how transparent the company is in terms of charges and fees; and where and how they invest your subscription. Be a preferred stock than a common stock holder. cheers!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

I'm seriously considering investing in Sun Life Financial's Balance Fund. My understanding is that this is a mutual fund packaged with free term insurance. I plan to start with P100K, just to test the waters. Being a novice, I'd appreciate any inputs, caveats, etc.

I'm seriously considering investing in Sun Life Financial's Balance Fund. My understanding is that this is a mutual fund packaged with free term insurance. I plan to start with P100K, just to test the waters. Being a novice, I'd appreciate any inputs, caveats, etc.

Good choice yan... I presume you understand that balanced fund means some amount is on equities (Stocks) and some are on bonds. This is a generally easy, simple investment choice with manageable risks. Their portfolio is relatively risk averse (blue chip stocks... highly rated bonds)

However, you should know that Sunlife, unlike Philam life and a few other balanced funds have the flexibility to shift between bond and equity anytime they want. Their policy limit (i think) is 80%, meaning at most 80% of their total fund can be placed in either bonds or equity. This shifting of money is totally up to them.

Sunlife's balanced fund is mostly on equity right now (at the limit). Which is good since bonds are down and equities are up.

However, the false sense of security here is that people think they can suddenly shift from one type to another everytime the stockmarket dips. They won't do that. They have too much money to easily shift (meaning are their enough bonds in the market to buy? or TBills?), plus they don't just shift based on short term fluctuations...

So, you still get quite a bit of ups and downs on the fund value... but again at the end of the day, given the competency of their fund managers, and their low risk portfolio... this is still a nice little investment choice for anyone who wants to start in mutual funds.

my two cents here. :thumbsupsmiley:

• 3 months later...

Is there any fund in Phils that has investments (portion of portfolio) abroad?

I think it would be good countermeasure to diversify 'outside' ...

Hirap kasi na sunod-sunuran na lng lagi ang PSE sa US market.. (although, lahat naman tinamaan).

When it hits, it sure hit hard... bantay lng talga dapat siguro..

Trade safely..

In the philippine setting, a mutual fund is a great venue for investing. if a person doesn't have the time and know-how to play both the equity and the debt markets, this is a way to indirectly be invested in them. I just hope a lot more people from the lower strata of income are introduced to these instead of the walang kamatayang time deposits. So it won't necessarily be a case of the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer. The top three i know of are sun life, PAMI and BPI Asset mgt. The new one is Variable Life Insurance. You get to pick where some of your premium payments get invested. But a warning though, these are highly risky and no guarantee of principal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Good choice yan... I presume you understand that balanced fund means some amount is on equities (Stocks) and some are on bonds. This is a generally easy, simple investment choice with manageable risks. Their portfolio is relatively risk averse (blue chip stocks... highly rated bonds)

However, you should know that Sunlife, unlike Philam life and a few other balanced funds have the flexibility to shift between bond and equity anytime they want. Their policy limit (i think) is 80%, meaning at most 80% of their total fund can be placed in either bonds or equity. This shifting of money is totally up to them.

Sunlife's balanced fund is mostly on equity right now (at the limit). Which is good since bonds are down and equities are up.

However, the false sense of security here is that people think they can suddenly shift from one type to another everytime the stockmarket dips. They won't do that. They have too much money to easily shift (meaning are their enough bonds in the market to buy? or TBills?), plus they don't just shift based on short term fluctuations...

So, you still get quite a bit of ups and downs on the fund value... but again at the end of the day, given the competency of their fund managers, and their low risk portfolio... this is still a nice little investment choice for anyone who wants to start in mutual funds.

my two cents here. :thumbsupsmiley:

I agree, I have just bought the Sunlife Product 2 months ago and I am well on my second quarter now.

I had my plan invested 70% on equities because of the growing market. My basic understanding is to do this when the economy is rising and to shift your funds when its starts dipping although in the long run, mas marami ang return ng equities.

On the otherhand, since i am an employee, i cannot manage my money as i do not have time for it, so it is wise to leave it to Sunlife's Professionals to do the managing for you and it is relatively safer kasi naman diversified na yung portfolio nila.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any fund in Phils that has investments (portion of portfolio) abroad?

I think it would be good countermeasure to diversify 'outside' ...

Hirap kasi na sunod-sunuran na lng lagi ang PSE sa US market.. (although, lahat naman tinamaan).

When it hits, it sure hit hard... bantay lng talga dapat siguro..

Trade safely..

meron sa BPI - yung UITF nila na Global Fund...forgot the complete name ng product...dollars ang investment dito.