Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

been using computers for over 20 yrs

never a mac

until yesterday

i was looking at macs in a store, i liked the macbook pro but thought it was a little too big to carry around

the store though just happened to have them out of stock, although i had the option of getting the display model, i opted to buy a white macbook model ma700ll/a.

specs:

2 GHz intel core 2 duo

1GB ddr2 sdram (supports up to 2GB)

80 gb 5400 rpm hd

13.3 in widescreen 1280 x 800 pixels

intel gma 950 graphics processor with 64 mb of ddr2 sdram

built in isight cam

front row and apple remote

etc.

got it out of the box, configured it, found a wireless connection, downloaded updates

i'm up and running on it

perfectly happy so far

been using computers for over 20 yrs

never a mac

until yesterday

i was looking at macs in a store, i liked the macbook pro but thought it was a little too big to carry around

the store though just happened to have them out of stock, although i had the option of getting the display model, i opted to buy a white macbook model ma700ll/a.

specs:

2 GHz intel core 2 duo

1GB ddr2 sdram (supports up to 2GB)

80 gb 5400 rpm hd

13.3 in widescreen 1280 x 800 pixels

intel gma 950 graphics processor with 64 mb of ddr2 sdram

built in isight cam

front row and apple remote

etc.

got it out of the box, configured it, found a wireless connection, downloaded updates

i'm up and running on it

perfectly happy so far

You are hooked.

get adium. it's an all in one instant messenger.

its what i use for msn, ym, gtalk, and our company's jabber-based IM.

You can also try Proteus. I like the tab function so all my chat windows are kept tidy. I used Adium before but would encounter bugs so I switch to Proteus.

if it's the logic board, medyo malaki nga ang problema mo dyan... yan pa ba yung clamshell?

medyo maykahirapan na nga yan i-service... but if you have friends in the states you could ask them to buy the logic board for you... maraming old mac resource sites na murang-mura binebenta ang logic boards, etc... siguro tops na $300... pero you can still look for bargains in the net...

a friendly reminder though, don't ever try to have it shipped to you here in the philippines... grabe tumaga ang customs... kahit IT or computer component yan which is supposed to be covered by tariff exemptions, tatagain ka pa rin... so, ang pinaka-praktikal is paki-suyo na lang na ipadala sayo.. wag kang magkakamaling ipadala thru fedex or ups... balikbayan box siguro pwede. :)

my gf broght my old ibook g3 750 sa apple service center sa san juan daw and after 3 days tumawag and na-diagnose daw na logic board yung sira... grabe mahal nun para kang bumili ng bago. any suggestions guys?
Edited by dickee

nope bro, di sya yung clamshell, g3 750 sya yung white di pareho ng itsura nung g4 and g5. thanks sa tips. pero ask ko lang, di ba nanaga yung mga taga apple jan sa pinas? ipinadala ko na nga lang sa gf ko yung ibook pagbalik nya sa singapore, hingi na lang ako ng second opinion, and pag logic board nga try ko na rin siguro i-trouble shoot yung logicboard para at least yung pyesa lang yung gastos...

if it's the logic board, medyo malaki nga ang problema mo dyan... yan pa ba yung clamshell?

medyo maykahirapan na nga yan i-service... but if you have friends in the states you could ask them to buy the logic board for you... maraming old mac resource sites na murang-mura binebenta ang logic boards, etc... siguro tops na $300... pero you can still look for bargains in the net...

a friendly reminder though, don't ever try to have it shipped to you here in the philippines... grabe tumaga ang customs... kahit IT or computer component yan which is supposed to be covered by tariff exemptions, tatagain ka pa rin... so, ang pinaka-praktikal is paki-suyo na lang na ipadala sayo.. wag kang magkakamaling ipadala thru fedex or ups... balikbayan box siguro pwede. :)

ganun talaga, pre. laki din naman kasi tariffs na binabayaran ng importers eh.

Just to let you guys know, there is no tariff on IT equipment in the Philippines. If you are importing personal equipment, you pay nothing. Ang dalas go gawin ito. Internet order sa US tapos ship via surface mail. Babagsak sa Quezon City post office (shemps taga QC ako) tapos padadalhan ka ng notice. Puntahan ko doon, bubuksak sa harap ko ng customs inspector doon, tapos ok na pagnakita computer equipment or software.

Ngayon pag nakita niya na medyo commercial quantity, sisingilin ka ng VAT. Iba ang VAT sa import tariff. VAT is a standard 12% wala ka lusot doon. Kahit kabaong at nicho ngayon meron VAT.

how reliable naman handling ng regular mail for IT equipments? wala ka pa naman horror stories?

No horror stories yet. The packing has to be good. So far, I've had 4 hard disks in one package, a remanufactured 20-inch G5 iMac, and Mac Mini and software.

I saw how the courier guys handle a supposedly sensitive package. I'll stick to snail air mail.

Guys I just discovered an alternative to Bootcamp and Parallels desktop. It is called Crossover Mac from a company named codeweavers (www.codeweavers.com). The software allows you to run windows apps without the need to install Windows. Crossover sort of sits in between your win app and OS X and acts like a translator. So far it works fine with me. Some multimedia apps that require Media player 10 or higher may refuse to run but overa;; even games like half life install and run and run fast. I guess the bause the cpu does not have to pay a resource penalty for installing and running windows first.

hi everyone! i will be going to the philippines next week. specifically in pangasinan. I am using macbook right now, and i want to ask if there is any prepaid wireless internet provider/wifi i can use. do i need a modem for a prepaid wireless internet? please let me know..thanks!

hi everyone! i will be going to the philippines next week. specifically in pangasinan. I am using macbook right now, and i want to ask if there is any prepaid wireless internet provider/wifi i can use. do i need a modem for a prepaid wireless internet? please let me know..thanks!

i dunno about prepaid wifi access, but you can scour the forums for the hotspot thread and see if there's a wifi spot in pangasinan that you can access while you're in the country...

id be happy to give you access to my wifi network if you were staying in quezon city though :P

welcome back to the country!

check out airborne access's site and see if they have hot spots in pangasinan.