Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

hi MAC users,

I have a wireless Linksys router at home. Ever since my brother from US left, nobody's been using it. I don't have a laptop.

My question is, can a mac G4 or MacBook with WIFI detect the broadcast from the router?

I'm considering which laptops I should buy. Can I use a mac?

thanks

Wingwong

hi Wingwong, if it is a Linksys WRT54G or Linksys WRT54GS, then it is an easy set up for your G4 or Macbook set up.

yes, it can detect the wifi broadcast from the router. set up is basically easy.

you can use a mac for any other router. it is not true that the only way to go through wireless connection is through the Windows OS.

MIG-29C, i have to disagree with you that Windows is cheaper than Mac -- this will hold true if you're using pirated softwares. Affordable paraphernalias and accessories for macs are available as well.

hi MAC users,

I have a wireless Linksys router at home. Ever since my brother from US left, nobody's been using it. I don't have a laptop.

My question is, can a mac G4 or MacBook with WIFI detect the broadcast from the router?

thanks

Wingwong

hi Wingwong, if it is a Linksys WRT54G or Linksys WRT54GS, then it is an easy set up for your G4 or Macbook set up.

yes, it can detect the wifi broadcast from the router. set up is basically easy.

you can use a mac for any other router -- Zyxel, D-Link, Netgear etc. it is not true that the only way to go through wireless connection is through the Windows OS.

MIG-29C, i have to disagree with you that Windows is cheaper than Mac -- this will hold true if you're using pirated softwares. Affordable paraphernalias and accessories for macs are available as well.

hi MAC users,

thanks

Wingwong

you should be able to. as long as youre using the same Wi-Fi standard a/b/g, b and g the most popular. agre with unprettywoman: windows is not the only way to get wireless. as long as the laptop (or desktop for that matter) has a working wi-fi adapter with the same WiFi standard you should be OK

if youre getting a Mac, get one with an airport card ... sabagay, ano bang laptop ngayon ang walang wifi card built in... halos lahat yata may built in na

Hi, UnprettyWoman... Haha! Yeah, you do have a point and I agree with that. However, I live in a place where the nearest reseller/service center for Macs is 450 Nautical Miles away. Badtrip 'no? I tried to e-mail some of the Mac distributors, resellers based in Manila for inquiries on made-for-Mac goodies, but none of them replied. I dunno if they're too busy making money or the staff is just plain and simple too tamad to take the time to reply. Bummer. For the meantime I'll be forced to adjust and adapt, make do with what's currently available here once my MacBook arrives. As much as I wanted to use OEM made-for-Mac gear, the local shops don't sell 'em here, but that's something Longbeard could easily fix. Hehe! Wish ko lang these 3rd party manufacturers would make peripherals that are multi-platform compatible. I'm sure the Linux users would also agree with me on this.

Switching to Macs is one of the best decisions I've made... buying and owning a Mac is like joining the Marines: THE FEW. THE PROUD.

Cheers! How come I rarely see you online lately? Busy with your studies huh? Thanks for the tips btw.

Hi, UnprettyWoman... Haha! Yeah, you do have a point and I agree with that. However, I live in a place where the nearest reseller/service center for Macs is 450 Nautical Miles away. Badtrip 'no? I tried to e-mail some of the Mac distributors, resellers based in Manila for inquiries on made-for-Mac goodies, but none of them replied. I dunno if they're too busy making money or the staff is just plain and simple too tamad to take the time to reply. Bummer. For the meantime I'll be forced to adjust and adapt, make do with what's currently available here once my MacBook arrives. As much as I wanted to use OEM made-for-Mac gear, the local shops don't sell 'em here, but that's something Longbeard could easily fix. Hehe! Wish ko lang these 3rd party manufacturers would make peripherals that are multi-platform compatible. I'm sure the Linux users would also agree with me on this.

Switching to Macs is one of the best decisions I've made... buying and owning a Mac is like joining the Marines: THE FEW. THE PROUD.

Cheers! How come I rarely see you online lately? Busy with your studies huh? Thanks for the tips btw.

have you tried e-mailing ynzal? senco link? iStudio? longbeard?

i'm saving up for an MS Office for Mac (educ promo at Php 3,500) at ynzal.

was at senco and digital walker last week -- a mac lover's paradise on earth!

:rolleyes:

Edited by unprettywoman
have you tried e-mailing ynzal? senco link? iStudio? longbeard?

i'm saving up for an MS Office for Mac (educ promo at Php 3,500) at ynzal.

was at senco and digital walker last week -- a mac lover's paradise on earth!

:rolleyes:

Yeah, I did. Haven't heard a word except from Longbeard. Which version? Yung 2004? Does MS Office for Mac require Rosetta? I'm not sure kung universal binary na yan, but I've heard some people say it slows down a bit with Rosetta running in the background. I'm thinking about checking out iWork '06. But I'd sure love to hear your feedbacks about MS Office for Mac. The first thing I'm gonna do when I'm back in Manila is visit the Mac shops! Hehe!

Hello Guys!!! i just got my new Macbook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo. Damn!!! Sobrang toxic!!! Gggrrr!!!

'hopefully I'd learn how to maximize it's use real soon!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Same here, upgraded my iBook G4 to a MacBook Pro...I had a few hiccups with some older programs, but so far it's been FANTASTIC!!!

Apple Computer seems to be suffering from a lot of problems with quality control lately: IPods are riddled with Windows viruses, laptop batteries are bursting into flames, and MacBooks are randomly shutting down.

Every few days, there are fresh reports of battery recalls, mooing MacBooks or iPods that scratch too easily.

But is Apple's reputation for quality really slipping?

It's my impression that Apple's quality control is no better or worse than before -- we're just hearing about it more.

Consider that Apple is growing like crazy. The company shipped 1.6 million Macs and 8.8 million iPods last quarter. That's more computers and iPods than in any three months in the company's history, representing a 30 percent to 35 percent annual growth rate.

This past year, Apple sold more than 39 million iPods and 5.3 million Macs, all while switching to a brand new architecture based on Intel chips. If 99 percent of these Macs and iPods are in good working order, and 1 percent were defective, there would be 53,000 malfunctioning Macs out there and about 390,000 dodgy iPods.

That's almost 450,000 upset Apple customers, all making a stink on forums and websites. I don't think there's anything like that number, or even half that, or half that.

There obviously are some problems; that can't be denied. And certain machines seem more problematic than others. There are few complaints about the iMac, but lots of bitching about MacBook Pros.

The problem is figuring out whether the problems are widespread, or restricted to a small -- but vocal -- minority. One of the joys of writing for the net is hearing from scores of copy Nazis and propellerheads if you make a mistake or express a controversial view. But if you write something people like, you hear nothing, not a peep.

The same is true for quality control. You'll never hear from the silent majority of happy campers out there.

Definitive numbers are hard to come by. Apple didn't respond to calls and e-mail asking for data or comment. A recent survey by PC World rated Apple and Lenovo laptops as the most reliable.

The internet is a famous echo chamber. Post some pictures of a flaming power adapter on Flickr, and soon every blog in the universe has a report.

I think Apple's problems are the corollary of falling crime statistics in the 1990s, which had mostly to do with demographics. In Apple's case, it's effectively doubled its market share for portables, and all of a sudden there are double the number of customers complaining about problems.

Welcome to the mass market, Apple.

By Leander Kahney

WIRED Magazine

IMHO

Ipod's get viruses bcuz they connect them to computers with viruses and download files with viruses.

Batteries are on recall not only for Macs but for all other laptops that have the same battery manufacturers, Dell laptops have more of these batteries.

MacBooks keep them updated, firmware, OS and all other updates. If you wanna buy one, get the 2nd Gens they now have better specs. Moreover, if you want less problems, keep the MacOS stay away form windows :)

IMHO

Ipod's get viruses bcuz they connect them to computers with viruses and download files with viruses.

Batteries are on recall not only for Macs but for all other laptops that have the same battery manufacturers, Dell laptops have more of these batteries.

MacBooks keep them updated, firmware, OS and all other updates. If you wanna buy one, get the 2nd Gens they now have better specs. Moreover, if you want less problems, keep the MacOS stay away form windows :)

Dude, the Ipods they mentioned here had their virus infected straight from the manufacturer.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/18/...in2104328.shtml

Not to worry, though. Even Japan's McDonald's MP3 player happy meals had the same problem. Or maybe it's one of teir promo. Upsize your trojan virus to a spyware and get a free burger....

Edited by artvader
I was wondering if somebody every tried upgrading the MacBook's stock 512MB RAM to 1.2MB by replacing one of the factory 256MB sticks with a 1GB module? They say parang di raw maganda i-combine yung 2 RAMs made of different specs kasi di raw magiging optimum yung performance ng MacBook, thus you won't get the full benefit. How true? I might be misinformed on this one.

have tried this and i'm confirming what you've heard. i upgraded one of the 256MB modules to a 1Gb. didn't get a marked improvement, it actually felt like it slowed down. then i was told to try using memory of equal sizes on each slot so i exchanged the 1Gb for 2 512Gb modules and replaced the modules with 512Mb on each slot... macbook speed improved, can run and move around faster over more applications than i ever could do. :)

• 2 weeks later...