Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

hello everybody...i hope that someone could help me on this one asap...i would like to send via internet a copy of adobe creative suite for mac to my pop who is in the US and just starting to learn the electronic way...there's 2 cd's for the package to work consisting of 586mb and 538mb respectively..i do have a rapidshare account...now my favor to ask from you guys is this...how could i send it to him electronically? as we all know rs have 100mb only per file..will splitting it won't affect the program itself when he extract it on their side? even a simple downloading is a gargantuan task for him over there as he is from the jurassic age...i dearly hope that somebody could help me on this one asap as otherwise i would be force to just send it to him via dhl wherein which would cost me alot!!!!!! thanks alot in advance...GOD BLESS!!!!!!!

hello everybody...i hope that someone could help me on this one asap...i would like to send via internet a copy of adobe creative suite for mac to my pop who is in the US and just starting to learn the electronic way...there's 2 cd's for the package to work consisting of 586mb and 538mb respectively..i do have a rapidshare account...now my favor to ask from you guys is this...how could i send it to him electronically? as we all know rs have 100mb only per file..will splitting it won't affect the program itself when he extract it on their side? even a simple downloading is a gargantuan task for him over there as he is from the jurassic age...i dearly hope that somebody could help me on this one asap as otherwise i would be force to just send it to him via dhl wherein which would cost me alot!!!!!! thanks alot in advance...GOD BLESS!!!!!!!

use torrent. :thumbsupsmiley:

make a diskimage and use torrent or find a torrent of the program on the net, get the torrent file and send it to your dad

of course he should have a torrent client to download the file

good luck

i cant think of any other way

if i think of anything

'will post it na lang

upload the file to a FTP server or better yet, rsync the file to a remote server for 100 % non corrupted file once the rsync is done.

am a mac and unix here...

did u guys know mac started as a unix from berkeley....until the popular X-windows is created...?

Not quite accurate. The people who designed and wrote the first MAC OS were part of the Xerox Star project of Xerox PARC in Palo Alto. the Xerox Star was the first computer to be shown it a true graphical user interface (GUI) it was never produced commercially. The people behind the Star OS eventually were recruited to do work on components of the Mac OS.

The Mac OS was NOT a unix system. It was proprietary code. It could not be Unix based because the first mac had to ran with only 128 kb of RAM off a 400 kb floppy drive.

If at all, the projects that came out of Xerox PARC served as inspirations. X Windows is a Unix based GUI that was adopted in graphics workstations such as Digital Equipment Corp's VAXstation III and running under DEC's Unix implementation, Airix and on IBM's System 6000 workstations running under IBM's unix implementation AIX.

I ought to know. From 1986 to the '90s I was an employee of Apple Computer.

I responded to this in the other thread where I said CDs and snail mail/courier may still be the fastest and most convenient for your dad if he is not tech savvy. But if you really want to do the electronic download you can use the idisk feature of dot mac. Of course it will cost US$10 but it will be the simplest way to do this. Check out this link: http://www.apple.com/dotmac/#touridisk

PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE MARCHES ON...

Apple Announces new iMac

(from CNET)

New iMacs announced at Apple's summer press event!

As we've come to expect from the folks at Apple, today's press event was top secret (with possibly a few leaks to the Web) until Steve Jobs hit the stage. The wait is over: sleek new iMacs are available in 20-inch and 24-inch models. To go with the smooth aluminum design and glossy screens, Apple has also introduced two new keyboards--a larger, wired version with flat keys and a smaller, Bluetooth wireless version. The lowest-tier 20-inch iMac will replace the older 17-inch models, but it will still sell for the same price of $1,199. A second-tier 20-inch iMac is also available with a faster processor for $1,499. The third-tier 24-inch version sells for $1,799. The highest-level 24-inch iMac, running the 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, will cost $2,299.

-----------------

I checked out the new iMac at http://www.apple.com/imac/technology/.

Gone is the chintzy plastic casing. The iMac now sports a very svelte and stylish brushed aluminium case like the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. The C2D processor is now bumped up to a standard 2.0 ghz with options to 2.4 ghz and 2.8 available on the 24-inch.

A 17 inch model has not been mentioned. Only the 20-inch and 24-inch now remain. Graphics is now a Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128 mb of GDDR3 on the low-end and a Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256 mb of GDDR3 ram on the 24-inch.

Hard disk storage starts at 250GB/320GB on the 20-inch and 320GB on the 24-inch but get this, Apple will supply larger hard disks in 500GB, 750GB and 1TB if you want it. This explains why my Apple dealer has 1TB drives. They are already stocking up on service parts as required by their Apple dealership agreement.

RAM maxes to 4GB using 667mhz DDR2 SDRAM in SO-DIMM format. It ships with at least 1GB.

The LCDs are now glass-encased glossy screens. 1680 x 1050 on the 20-inch and 1920 x 1200 on the larger unit. It uses a slightly taller 16:10 aspect ration with a black bezel surround that hides the built-in iSight camera.

Bluetooth, and WIFI N (Airport as Apple calls it) are built in as are a superdrive, and a slew of ports.

I should have waited for this instead of blowing my wad on a MacPro. :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/agabot/macadoodle%20pics/newimac.jpg

weep all they want but am sticking with my iMac...:thumbsupsmiley:

but i sure like to get that keyboard...

That is really sexy. FrogDesign, the Scandinavian industrial design house that does the designs for Apple really does a good job. They also do industrial design for Bang and Olufsen. Well, if Apple decides to send production to China so that they keep their margins high and costs low, expect bargain basement pricing for China made knock offs soon on that keyboard.

boomouse

You don't have to whine about blowing your wad on a MacPro. the new iMac may look sleek but nothing beats the MacPro when it comes to performance. You don't get all the space for upgrades from hard drive, memory, and other expansions in an iMac. The MacPro may not look as nice but it sure got a lot more juice when it comes to performance.

IMHO

boomouse

You don't have to whine about blowing your wad on a MacPro. the new iMac may look sleek but nothing beats the MacPro when it comes to performance. You don't get all the space for upgrades from hard drive, memory, and other expansions in an iMac. The MacPro may not look as nice but it sure got a lot more juice when it comes to performance.

IMHO

Thanks for trying to ease the pain but I have once again come to my senses and will have to admit that I was wrong in buying the 'Pro'. Who am I fooling? I kept trying to convince myself that it will make a great video editing platform and with 8 cores and that monstrous 1tb hard disk, I am sure I can even do an entire tear jerker series for ABS CBN.

But you know what? All I needed was to get from point A to point B. I've been digitizing and editing and dumping on to DVDs my family videos from Betamax (yes, I still have a unit--that once expensive Camera with the separate tote-along player recorder), to C/VHS, to Video8, Hi8, and everything after that. I just realized that for what I wanted to do, this iMac would have done it with the same speed almost and same quality and I might still save enough to put up the downpayment on a car. An Apple Cinema Display alone is the price of a low end iMac.

No. I was a fool. I now feel like the guy who owns a Porsche but could not drive it to fetch his extremely pretty and precocious med student of a girlfriend in UST because Porsches do not like the surging floodwaters of España Blvd.

Maybe if I bought a surplus Scud missile, the Mac Pro can run the guidance and targeting system... now if I only had a target.

=====================

On another note, I have recently upgraded my home WIFI from a DLink DI-624+ which likes to hang all the time to an Apple Airport Extreme. And let me tell you gys the performance and reliability and ease of use is just pure joy.

The AAX has 4 UTP ports, a WAN port and an USB port. This last one is what justifies the fact that it costs more than twice a dLink router. You bung in any old USB hub on the thing, connect a USB printer and an external USB hard disk. You ran the Airport Utility, and bang! it sees everything. Macs and windows, wired and wireless print to seamlessly. The hard disk is so accessible immediately you start worrying about whether it is secure enough in its friendliness.

Oh, for Windows machines, you do have to download Apple's zero-configuration utility called Bonjour. Once installed, Bonjour takes the hassle out of Windows printer sharing. You ran it, it comes up with a dialogue showing the printers accessible through the router and then it will use your own print driver each time you print. When a Mac prints, it uses a Mac driver. You can connect as many printers as your USB hub will allow. For as long as the printers will work with a Mac you should be able to print from a Mac (some models of Sharp and Konica are Windows only). And its WIFI N so even the neighbors have called to say that they like the speed of the new router.

The power supply on the AAX is small and cool in both respects. The design is nice and it actually runs cool. The only negative issue? The color. White gets dirty plenty fast especially for a device that is usually left alone until it starts acting up. Having to wipe it and clean it once a week taints what could have been a truly zero maintenance device.

Edited by boomouse

I don't get it....why isn't apple using the new C2Duos Intel released last month? Wouldn't that make more sense considering they've already gone through the trouble of totally redesigning the iMac? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the processor speeds listed in the Press Releases don't correspond to the newer Intel processors (E6550 = 2.33Ghz, E6750 = 2.66Ghz, E6850 = 3.0Ghz).

I don't get it....why isn't apple using the new C2Duos Intel released last month? Wouldn't that make more sense considering they've already gone through the trouble of totally redesigning the iMac? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the processor speeds listed in the Press Releases don't correspond to the newer Intel processors (E6550 = 2.33Ghz, E6750 = 2.66Ghz, E6850 = 3.0Ghz).

Released last month you say? The new iMacs would have been in production by then. I would not be surprised if these are the same processors but tuned down a bit to reduce heat (Apple hates fans and will keep their use to a minimum) in the tight package. On the other hand, 2 ghz and 2.33 ghx is an insignificant difference. No one will notice the difference. Thats just oneupmanship. If you've got a Mac you're already up on the guys on Windows.

Released last month you say? The new iMacs would have been in production by then. I would not be surprised if these are the same processors but tuned down a bit to reduce heat (Apple hates fans and will keep their use to a minimum) in the tight package. On the other hand, 2 ghz and 2.33 ghx is an insignificant difference. No one will notice the difference. Thats just oneupmanship. If you've got a Mac you're already up on the guys on Windows.

While the new iMacs would have been in production last month, prototypes of the newer chips would have been issued to hardware manufacturers months earlier than the actual market, to allow them lead time to design new boards to support the new chips. I have a feeling a "new" round of faster iMacs will probably be launched in January or Feb.

On a side note, I just noticed that the iMacs use laptop memory clocked at 667Mhz (correct me if I'm wrong). The newer chips have a faster bus speed (1333 Mhz). Perhaps apple is waiting for the prices of faster-specced RAM to drop before they introduce the new chips. Speculations, speculations.....

While the new iMacs would have been in production last month, prototypes of the newer chips would have been issued to hardware manufacturers months earlier than the actual market, to allow them lead time to design new boards to support the new chips. I have a feeling a "new" round of faster iMacs will probably be launched in January or Feb.

On a side note, I just noticed that the iMacs use laptop memory clocked at 667Mhz (correct me if I'm wrong). The newer chips have a faster bus speed (1333 Mhz). Perhaps apple is waiting for the prices of faster-specced RAM to drop before they introduce the new chips. Speculations, speculations.....

SO-DIMMs what you refer to as laptop memory have been the standard memory format used by Apple eversince the iMacs came out. Only the desktops ever used used DIMMs. This is because the iMacs are really just laptops in a different package.

frog design inc. hasnt done work for Apple Inc for such a long time already. Johnny Ives and his merry crew do almost all the industrial design of Apple these days.

You are right! I'm showing my age. Frog Design were the designers when I was still at Apple. Had you not reminded me, I would have not remembered that Jonathan Ive was responsible for all Apple designs from the first iMac G3. Thank you for the heads up.

So you worked under John Sculley instead of Steve. What did you do there and are you an Apple millionaire? :)

Yes, I worked for John Sculley, Guy Kawasaki, Jean-Louis Gassèe. I was based in Apple Far East and was Apple's first DTP Champion (that's what they called their evangelists). I was training Apple distributors and dealers from Jakarta to Katmandu, and from Karachi to Guam. I helped convert a few newspapers and magazines along they way to work using Mac-based DTP systems.

We were at the cusp of the wave created by the Mac Plus, Mac SE, and the Mac II. South and Southeast Asian then was the fastest growing market for Apple. We experienced double digit growth for most of the late 1980s with a 160% jump in sales in 1987.

The employee stock option plan at the time was quite generous, and I opted to take most of it in 1990 to reinvest in a private pension fund and opted for early retirement to move back to the Philippines rather than work in the US. Its easier and safer to raise children in Manila if you want them to grow up as Filipinos. Ten years later, I retired again. Maybe in another decade I'll retire once more. It so hard keeping away from working.

i think boomouse would be more than happy to tutor you personally. treat him to a coffee at a coffee place na lang for his time and trouble.

Thank you. Maybe it is time I did get an agent. :thumbsupsmiley:

On a more serious note, anyone interested in doing a Mac Users EB?

If thread posters are interested, we can start by suggesting EB topics so that it is more than just a social event. For example, I have ditched Mac Office for the new iWork 08, there are some teething problems, but I think I am ready to show how I use Pages and Keynote and Numbers and Mail in lieu of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Entourage.