Linux Anybody?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

guys i want to replace this BS windows with Linux. ano ba magandang pangalang ng linux ngayon ang da best. DAmi ko kasi naririnig na Suse, Ubuntu, fedora, etc. nakaka-confuse. pang personal laptop lang. thanks! ;)

Easiest to acquire and install would be Ubuntu.

Easiest to acquire and install would be Ubuntu.

I tried all sorts of distros during the linux craze in the late nineties and early twenties. I loved SUSE, Novell, Fedora, until i discovered Ubuntu in 2003. It's the easiest to play around with especially if you're a newbie. My whole family uses just ubuntu and Mac OSX at home. support is also a big plus for ubuntu. you can cstomize it buy just checking and unchecking softwre and developers are starting to create fanware for it. YMMV but for me, as a beginner in the late nieties, ubuntu came as a charm in 2003.

Most Distros are no longer as efficient as they were before when you compile the kernel to match the hardware and get rid of the stuff that is not needed. I'm still partial to Slackware and Gentoo. But Ubuntu is works well with most notebooks so I dual boot mine with gentoo with gnome and ubuntu.

I beg to disagree with RedHat being the best for servers as a general statement. It really depends on the purpose of the server. Say Mysql DB servers that requires a lot of IOPs would work really well in a Hardened and stripped down Gentoo setup while a Deployment server that kickstarts other servers using PXE works very well in Red Hat or it's derivatives like CentOS, though my Debian/Ubuntu PXE server works fine but not in an environment that requires at least 50 simultaneous kick. In some cases though I would skip linux altogether and use FreeBSD in a CDN environment that is HD video intensive.