40GB HD

32MB Nvidia Video Card

VERDICT!!!

all three variants flew on the machine

startup time including bios check and grub loading maxed out at 30seconds

shutdown time at a speedy 15seconds

as soon as the desktop loads, you can start doing your thing

no more hour glass, hanged start button

didn't like the desktop appearance and the task bar of the original release so I tried MacPup

same speed but with more eyecandy appearance

settled with browserlinux 'coz the main function of the Jurassic Machine was for web browsing and online flash games (it has firefox 3.5, while the original release has Seamonkey and Firefox 2, MacPup has opera 9)

and my niece and nephew were impressed (hogged the PC whole day yesterday and they were only able to use it this morning)

fast boot up time and faster loading page (we have a MyDSL connection which seems to crawl when we were still using Windoze XP)

btw, loaded my Grub on a Floppy Disk, took me an hour to figure out how to load if there (slow learner, hehehehehehe)

partitioned my HD so that I can install tinyXP, we are keeping windoze for Office and printing purposes

browserlinux doesn't support actual printing (it only prints to pdf)

90% of the time, they will be on the net anyway

if you have a netbook, best option for you will be xPup

a bloated version of the distro with all the good things from linux installed

with the speed of Puppy Linux and the look of OSX

Edited by brutus

grabe.. I've been trying out puppy for a few days now, retro puppy 4.2 ang install ko on a more jurassic unit than brutus:

P3-733 with 128 memory, 10 gb of hard disk real-estate.

default ay kde-like desktop. bilib ako sa abiword documents and spreadsheets because it takes maybe 1-3 seconds to load! d@mn fast..

medyo basa basa sa pag-install on a hard disk since this distro was designed to load on a USB stick or cd drive. took me a day to learn kakabasa sa mga forums

later on gonna test this on office applications. d@mn.. nabuhay ang lumang luma na unit with very minimum specs. kahit windows 2000 ang ilagay ko sa cpu na eto ay hindi ganito kabilis magload ang mga applications. sa monitor lang ang limitation ko, jurassic kasi ng sobra ang gamit ko: vga-capable lang and hindi svga :upside:

was really intending to find out the bare minimum system requirement. mamaya gonna take out one of the memory sticks and see how it runs on 64 mb of memory

followup lang sa puppy, now on my second week.

my uncle saw me configuring puppy on the jurassic unit (oo nga pala, took out the other memory stick and it ran beautifully on 64 mb RAM). humingi ng copy ang tito ko and installed it on his EEEPC.

ang laki raw ng difference in speed. it took me two days to configure the wireless but it's working now. hehehe.

I already told our IT to install this OS on the school computers, and next week magsisimula na ang computer subject ng mga bata. topic: opensource linux!

gonna start installing puppy too on the office units. whee! may gamit pa ang mga p3 units namin. with 128 memory, the browsing and office applications are almost similar to a P4 unit with 512 memory running winxp

Now all I see is a black screen with "GRUB"

Can't seem to boot. :(

try typing reboot

if that did not work

you have to boot manually

type the following

find /vmlinuz

kernel [the directory where vmlinuz resides]

boot

if all fails

use your live cd again and re install grub

try typing reboot

if that did not work

you have to boot manually

type the following

find /vmlinuz

kernel [the directory where vmlinuz resides]

boot

if all fails

use your live cd again and re install grub

typing reboot fixed the problem. I think the agent simply killed the power switch instead of properly shutting the unit down. gonna try the browser version of puppy and might install other applications. hehe. panibagong basa nanaman.

can i install windows xp on top of linux or do i erase linux. Sorry guys.... Super newbie.

would you want to dual boot or just virtualize XP.

I have Ubuntu as my main OS and I installed VirtualBox and created a virtual machine that runs XP.

If you want to Dual boot try following this tutorial.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_a...alled_first.htm

If you need details for the virtual machine solution let me know.

typing reboot fixed the problem. I think the agent simply killed the power switch instead of properly shutting the unit down. gonna try the browser version of puppy and might install other applications. hehe. panibagong basa nanaman.

were you able to find out how to change/edit the system try???