Linux Anybody?

Guest L3viathan
@limprulezzz mag dag dag ka kaya ng isa pang hard drive sa server mo and do a fresh install and see kung pwede mo ma boot fully on that additional disk and try to transfer the files.

@limprulezzz.. what he said :)

another suggestion, why not mount a burner (cd or dvd burner) and then write the files? mukhang may topak ang USB eh :(

oh.. oo nga pala, hindi ba pwede inetwork ang folder ng mga files? or better yet, have you tried mounting a network shared folder from another unit (kahit desktop lang) tapos dun ka magbackup ng files mo.

whichever suggestion, you need to do a clean install of linux or change your hard drive.

-------------------

isa pang suggestion para sa topak na USB :P instead of booting from a live CD, try booting from a LIVE USB. There are instructions on the net on how to go about it.

Edited by L3viathan
@limprulezzz mag dag dag ka kaya ng isa pang hard drive sa server mo and do a fresh install and see kung pwede mo ma boot fully on that additional disk and try to transfer the files.

Naku sir, sobrang expensive ng hard disk. SCSI tapos branded pa na IBM. I'll try to look for suppliers o better kung may mahihiraman nalang. mahal talaga yun mga ganon na HD eh.

@limprulezzz.. what he said :)

another suggestion, why not mount a burner (cd or dvd burner) and then write the files? mukhang may topak ang USB eh :(

oh.. oo nga pala, hindi ba pwede inetwork ang folder ng mga files? or better yet, have you tried mounting a network shared folder from another unit (kahit desktop lang) tapos dun ka magbackup ng files mo.

whichever suggestion, you need to do a clean install of linux or change your hard drive.

-------------------

isa pang suggestion para sa topak na USB :P instead of booting from a live CD, try booting from a LIVE USB. There are instructions on the net on how to go about it.

Susubukan ko nga naiconnect sa network. naka possible. Yun sa USB na booting done na din hindi nga lang talaga natuloy yun pagboot.

This is really pissing me off...nasisira buhay ko sa server na to...hehehe

Naku sir, sobrang expensive ng hard disk. SCSI tapos branded pa na IBM. I'll try to look for suppliers o better kung may mahihiraman nalang. mahal talaga yun mga ganon na HD eh.

too bad kung malapit lang kayo i can lend you a couple. Actually it's Seagate. Tinatakan lang ng IBM. Our purchasing group used to buy IBM branded ones and I discovered a Seagate with similar specs. Tested it in our system and It worked hehehe good luck on that issue. I can't do more test coz im stummped with debian not including broadcom firmware in lenny. And i have 50 blades to deploy. :cry:

too bad kung malapit lang kayo i can lend you a couple. Actually it's Seagate. Tinatakan lang ng IBM. Our purchasing group used to buy IBM branded ones and I discovered a Seagate with similar specs. Tested it in our system and It worked hehehe good luck on that issue. I can't do more test coz im stummped with debian not including broadcom firmware in lenny. And i have 50 blades to deploy. :cry:

Its really a hopeless case na, looks like I have no choice but to format everything and change the raid config. Bad trip lang kasi yun mg files don sa server, sobrang importante mawawala lang. yari nanaman sa bossing ko... :thumbsdownsmiley:

haaaaaay

Its really a hopeless case na, looks like I have no choice but to format everything and change the raid config. Bad trip lang kasi yun mg files don sa server, sobrang importante mawawala lang. yari nanaman sa bossing ko... :thumbsdownsmiley:

haaaaaay

Ask ko lang, anong LiveCD distro pala ginamit mo?

CHEERS!!!

paging LINUX EXPERTS

may mga naka try na ba sa inyo ng Puppy LINUX?

I have a live CD and just tried it today

mabusisi sya ng konti not like with some distros

mano mano pa rin ang pag install ng mga drivers

pero super bilis sya compared to XP and some linux distros

at napansin ko din, bumilis ang pag load ng mga pages using seamonkey browser

will try to install it on a PIII 1Ghz, 256MB desktop PC (naka install XP ngayon, pero super bagal, d ka pwedeng mag launch ng tatlong applications ng sabay sabay)

sana mag work

paging LINUX EXPERTS

may mga naka try na ba sa inyo ng Puppy LINUX?

I have a live CD and just tried it today

mabusisi sya ng konti not like with some distros

mano mano pa rin ang pag install ng mga drivers

pero super bilis sya compared to XP and some linux distros

at napansin ko din, bumilis ang pag load ng mga pages using seamonkey browser

will try to install it on a PIII 1Ghz, 256MB desktop PC (naka install XP ngayon, pero super bagal, d ka pwedeng mag launch ng tatlong applications ng sabay sabay)

sana mag work

FR na lang bro.

CHEERS!!!

Guest L3viathan
any body using gentoo here? it's an ass to configure but runs really really smooth.

hahaha.. tried it once feeling adventurous kasi.

like you said, it was an ass to configure. moved on to the next distro, which was mandriva :P

@L3viathan I work with 5 gentoo developers so I get inside info hehehe

I use gentoo for special purpose servers like firmware update via PXE, DNS, and Squid.

My kickstart server runs on CentOS and it can deploy Debian, CentOS, Gentoo, RedHat, Fedora, Ubuntu, Suse, and remnants of Slackware hehehe

We manage about 4000 servers so it really helps for OS deployment.

Guest L3viathan

@itikbitik..

nakakaingit ka naman :( me, I self-learn whenever I have free time and when the spirit moves me. planning to migrate some desktops to linux again and also waiting for brutus to post his FR on puppylinux. mga retro rin kasi ang nandito na units ko, specifically pIII units with 733 mhz.

if he says masbumilis then I'm interested :) but for now, suse muna sa mga PIV units and makalumang redhat 9 para sa mga PIII :( I want to upgrade

@itikbitik..

nakakaingit ka naman :( me, I self-learn whenever I have free time and when the spirit moves me. planning to migrate some desktops to linux again and also waiting for brutus to post his FR on puppylinux. mga retro rin kasi ang nandito na units ko, specifically pIII units with 733 mhz.

if he says masbumilis then I'm interested :) but for now, suse muna sa mga PIV units and makalumang redhat 9 para sa mga PIII :( I want to upgrade

I'm still testing the features of Puppy Linux on my laptop

trying to familiarize myself on how to install things on it

it's a big move from Ubuntu/PCLinux

first time I used Puppy Linux, it won't connect to the internet (due to network driver not installed)

first time i tried the media player, there is no sound (due to soundcard driver not installed)

first time I launch the seamonkey web browser, pages are mis aligned (due to video driver not installed)

it's a lot of work

comparing Puppy Linux to the other distros that I already tried (Ubuntu, PCLinux, gOS and LinuxMint)

this variant of Linux flies

it boots up in 20 seconds and shut down in 10

post-138692-1247972057.jpg

my Puppy Linux

just found out how to install programs

Puppy Linux is using PET, the equivalent of Synaptics

it doesn't have an extensive list of softwares in it's repositories

Firefox is only version 2.0.0.7

most of the softwares can be downloaded from this site http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy/

main advantage of this linux distro, SPEED!!!

Very Nice!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

CHEERS!!!

what I found out with Puppy Linux is that it is not for Linux Novice

if it is your first time to use Linux coming from Windoze

you will be lost on how to use it

found out another flavor of this pups (that's what they call puppy linux)

it's called MacPUP

it has a much cleaner desktop and a good looking interface

I will start testing this pup on a PIII 1Ghz, 256MB desktop PC this monthend

it is the machine that my niece (10yrs) and nephew (9yrs) are currently using

they mostly used it for browsing and playing online games

but they already started complaining regarding the slowness of XP in their PC although they have a vey fast DSL connection

http://macpup.org/photos/MacE17.jpg

USB 3.0 support: coming soon to a Linux kernel near you!

The xHCI (USB 3.0) host controller driver and initial support for USB 3.0 devices is now publicly available on my kernel.org git tree. Greg K-H has queued the patches for 2.6.31, so Linux users should have official USB 3.0 support around September 2009. This is impeccable timing, since NEC recently announced they'll be producing 1 million xHCI PCI express add-in cards in September.

This means that Linux will be the first operating system with official USB 3.0 support. I'm working with Keve Gabbert (the OSV person in my group at Intel) to make sure that Linux distributions like Ubuntu and Red Hat pick up the xHCI driver. Advanced users can always compile their own kernel on a standard distro install.

I hope that some USB 3.0 vendors who have prototypes will test with my driver. Instructions on how to compile a kernel using my git tree will follow.

This is a giant project that I've been working on for the past year and a half. It's gratifying to see the code finally released, and exciting to know that hardware is on its way.

http://sarah.thesharps.us/2009-06-07-20-00...#comment_anchor