Linux Anybody?

@bubuy..

SuSe, Fedora, or Ubuntu? personally I'd choose Suse. Fedora is the prototype for Redhat, parang beta ng Redhat siya (hence the reference to hats). Ubuntu is based on debian which I'm not THAT comfortable with. yung root kasi eh, hehehe.. lagi ko nalilimutan kung paano i-set sa debian.

KDE or gnome? GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME!

KDE looks like window$ kasi. para orig naman di ba?

to our linux enthusiasts/experts:

im want to revive my interest in linux, which ones should i choose (think of it as if you were in my place only diff is you are more updated)

please give views and pros & cons

1. SuSe, Fedora or Ubuntu?

2. KDE or Gnome?

OpenSuSE 11.2 is out, or better yet, get SLED

Mas malinis ang GNOME

CHEERS!!!

to our linux enthusiasts/experts:

im want to revive my interest in linux, which ones should i choose (think of it as if you were in my place only diff is you are more updated)

please give views and pros & cons

1. SuSe, Fedora or Ubuntu?

2. KDE or Gnome?

It would still depend on you. I have tried yung mga distro na sinabi mo pero wala naman me exact favorite. Pareho lang namin madali gamitin. Sa akin nagkakakatalo lang sa installation ng files. You dont have to worry because suse has yast, fedora has yum, and ubuntu has aptitude. You may want to try OpenSolaris. Based yung kernel nito sa solaris.

As for KDE and Gnome, kng san magrun yung mga apps na kailangan mo. I prefer Gnome. Mas madali gamitin at intuitive and design. D masyado mabigat sa Video Card unlike ng KDE. parang hirap na hirap irun ng laptop ko. Hehehehe.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
It would still depend on you. I have tried yung mga distro na sinabi mo pero wala naman me exact favorite. Pareho lang namin madali gamitin. Sa akin nagkakakatalo lang sa installation ng files. You dont have to worry because suse has yast, fedora has yum, and ubuntu has aptitude. You may want to try OpenSolaris. Based yung kernel nito sa solaris.

As for KDE and Gnome, kng san magrun yung mga apps na kailangan mo. I prefer Gnome. Mas madali gamitin at intuitive and design. D masyado mabigat sa Video Card unlike ng KDE. parang hirap na hirap irun ng laptop ko. Hehehehe.

Regards

open solaris. hahaha

Really pain in the a$$. Took me 3 days to figure out how to setup a jumpstart server. DHCP configuration is a painful without gui.

zfs rocks though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

^^ok na. I donwloaded suse linux enterprise desktop 64-bit. may 30 days trial evaluation period. hehehe.. but still, got in touch with their local distributor para sa product support. 64-bit pala etong xeon na eto.

anyway.. yung last "IT" na nagmaintain [kuno] ng server na eto only used this unit for backup. sigh.. what a waste of hardware. may 3 na scsi slots with hard disks but only two are functioning. yung win2003 server OS ay hindi licensed (ay ang t@nga talaga nung nag-IT-IT na yun], ang administrator password ay ENTER lang. hay.. pambihira naman. ni hindi ginagamit for database eto, pang-backup lang.

gonna use raid-5 on this. yun nga lang, maghahunting pa ako ng scsi drives, or saksakan ko na lang kaya ng sata drive. oo nga pala, bibilihan ko pa eto ng dvd writer.

^^ok na. I donwloaded suse linux enterprise desktop 64-bit. may 30 days trial evaluation period. hehehe.. but still, got in touch with their local distributor para sa product support. 64-bit pala etong xeon na eto.

anyway.. yung last "IT" na nagmaintain [kuno] ng server na eto only used this unit for backup. sigh.. what a waste of hardware. may 3 na scsi slots with hard disks but only two are functioning. yung win2003 server OS ay hindi licensed (ay ang t@nga talaga nung nag-IT-IT na yun], ang administrator password ay ENTER lang. hay.. pambihira naman. ni hindi ginagamit for database eto, pang-backup lang.

gonna use raid-5 on this. yun nga lang, maghahunting pa ako ng scsi drives, or saksakan ko na lang kaya ng sata drive. oo nga pala, bibilihan ko pa eto ng dvd writer.

Fully functional po ang SLED, yung 30 days is just for the updates.

Magaling-magaling-magaling na IT.

Ah the good old days of SCSI, alala ko pa na yung 9GB na SCSI P18,000.00 ang price hehehe. Meron pa akong 4 units 9Gb SCSI kaya lang me laman hindi ko pwede i-dispose hehehehe

CHEERS!!!

Edited by riv123
Fully functional po ang SLED, yung 30 days is just for the updates.

Magaling-magaling-magaling na IT.

Ah the good old days of SCSI, alala ko pa na yung 9GB na SCSI P18,000.00 ang price hehehe. Meron pa akong 4 units 9Gb SCSI kaya lang me laman hindi ko pwede i-dispose hehehehe

CHEERS!!!

I'm in baguio right now looking for a scsi drive. pambihira, per order basis raw talaga kahit pumunta pa ako ng manila to pick it up. you're given me an idea actually, tangalin ko na lang etong mga scsi drives and put in a sata drive instead. masmura pa. hahahaha..

actually, nagtataka ako why the "IT" opted for scsi drives. I'm in the same dilemma as you where I can't format it because of the data. sayang, tig-80 gb pa naman per drive (with the third drive not functioning). temporarily nakainstall ang suse enterprise on an IDE drive

---------

on a side note, I browsed the backup scsi drive because I was wondering what sort of data would occupy 94% space. nandun ang mga backup files along with a big folder labelled voltron: defenders of the universe. leche, ginamitan pa ng torrent etong unit.

I'm in baguio right now looking for a scsi drive. pambihira, per order basis raw talaga kahit pumunta pa ako ng manila to pick it up. you're given me an idea actually, tangalin ko na lang etong mga scsi drives and put in a sata drive instead. masmura pa. hahahaha..

actually, nagtataka ako why the "IT" opted for scsi drives. I'm in the same dilemma as you where I can't format it because of the data. sayang, tig-80 gb pa naman per drive (with the third drive not functioning). temporarily nakainstall ang suse enterprise on an IDE drive

---------

on a side note, I browsed the backup scsi drive because I was wondering what sort of data would occupy 94% space. nandun ang mga backup files along with a big folder labelled voltron: defenders of the universe. leche, ginamitan pa ng torrent etong unit.

mas reasonable yung decision mo.

built-in ba yung scsi controller?

voltron? elementary ba nag-manage nyan? hehehe

pish!

CHEERS!!!

I had Debian running on an ml 350 dati. There should be an extra scsi card in there and the raid setting should be accessible by ctrl-c when the controller initailizes. The server I worked with used and LSI controller.

The last IT person here who I caught sharing torrents online got canned. hehehe

Just a survey guys. It seems most of the people posting here are IT people. Is there a market for a hosting business there in PI? Infrastructure and as service. Basically we will build the data center infrastructure and the prospect client can rent the blades for a monthly fee. Our engineers will maintain the blades and the network. Pero mandatory sa amin dada-an yung traffic. And of course that's another fee.

I had Debian running on an ml 350 dati. There should be an extra scsi card in there and the raid setting should be accessible by ctrl-c when the controller initailizes. The server I worked with used and LSI controller.

Just a survey guys. It seems most of the people posting here are IT people. Is there a market for a hosting business there in PI? Infrastructure and as service. Basically we will build the data center infrastructure and the prospect client can rent the blades for a monthly fee. Our engineers will maintain the blades and the network. Pero mandatory sa amin dada-an yung traffic. And of course that's another fee.

Are you talking about cloud computing?

CHEERS!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Bro, just opt for raid 1 using two drives and have the other drive as hot standby. While researching before, I saw a website put up by some IT admins about advising against using RAID5 because of different issues.

Your business is feasible. This is server rental and eventually colocation, yes? Take note though that bandwidth here in the PI is very expensive compared to those of US-based counterparts. An advantage will be when local clients are involved and local peering is in place -- case in point is when Level Up Games peered to PLDT DSL and subscribers were assured lag-free gaming. No US-based competitor could top that.

PLDT has a service offering here like you mentioned -- http://www.vitro.epldt.com/

I was a former 'Windows' user before.. then lumala n lang pag ka dismaya ko sa Windows when sometimes nag cra-crash na lang ang system ko without any reason.. I started playing around with Linux (Ubuntu) on a Virtual Machine using (Virtual Box) .. I tried to translate all of my stuffs used on windows to my vm.. then after that.. saka me nag decide na Ubuntu na ang gawing primary OS ko..

It was fun using linux.. I can be a moderate but not a beginner when it comes to it.. medyo sanay na and Im really loving Linux now compare to my former OS..

One more thing to add.. One of the most good thing about using Linux is that 'There's always "New" to learn!'

Edited by striderr
  • 2 weeks later...

riv123 and bfad

Yes to cloud computing. We have an excess, around 600 of the older HS20 IBM Blades and we plan to cluster them and present a virtual solution where we can provide memory and cpu on demand. As far as the virtualization solution to implement we are deciding between VMWare and Xen. But I am thinking of bringing KVM in to the mix. We plan to open the solution for PI, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand. We have the solution already deployed in Korea, Japan, and Singapore using VMWare and HS21 IBM Blades. And we have the traditional infrastructure as a service solution in Australia, Germany, France, UK, Canada, Brazil, and US. Bandwidth would not be a problem in PI as well since Verizon is willing to rent us dark fibers from Manila to Singapore. In Singapore we have 8 - 10 Gig links enough to handle the load. The last time I was in PI for a study the latency using a Verizon dark fiber to Singapore is not that bad. An additional 3 hops or 10ms. I'm sure though the fiber infra belongs to PLDT. I think Verizon and PLDT has an agreement regarding that. It's just a matter of market study of possible customers plus local peering cost. I really hope our sales and marketing group finds possible customers in the 4 countries mentioned. But if Verizon will not make good with the dark fiber rental, talks closed, we're not pushing through.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...