Linux Anybody?

With windows softwares, that's interoperability, filesystem recognition, versioning and running software from compiling.

Ang virus, trojan or worms ng windows ay di gagana syempre sa linux platform.

Kung designed for windows talaga ang program, magpatakbo nalang ng virtual machine under linux parin.

Kung compatibility issues ng softwares designed for linux, depende sa software kung matagal na o bago palang.

Kadalasan sa windows merong bagong program na mabenta, later sa linux gagawin palang at maswerte kung tuloy-tuloy ang supports na makukuha sa linux community.

• 2 weeks later...

Mahirap ba compatibility ng softwares sa Linux?

nasubukan ko na rin mag-Linux before sa work ko

after ko mag-resign hindi na ako naging updated sa linux

kung noon (around 2003) medyo may compatibility issues pa rin especially kung galing ka ng windows (desktop)

i'm planning to try ubuntu again this april, anyone has ubuntu tutorial links? yung pang desktop lang

thanks mga masters!

I've been using Ubuntu in the office for several months now. Feeling ko Windows ang hindi compatible. :lol: I just save as PDF whenever I have to send a document to a Windows user. Or I just print a hard copy. I have edited and presented a PowerPoint on my Ubuntu machine and nobody seemed to notice. Ang pinagkaiba walang Windows license, Office license at CAL license. Pero di naman ako heavy user ng Office apps, kahit Google Docs buhay na ko.

Mga bro,

sa tingin ninyo anu ang madali at palaging ginagamit na programming language sa linux especially obuntu? can anyone give me a suggestion?

Dipende yan sa need mo, kung mga simpleng shell command lang Bash ok na.

Pero kung medyo complex I-suggest yung python, multi-paradigm sya, pwede kang mag functional at mag object-oriented programming at ang good news, pre-installed na sya sa ubuntu.

• 2 weeks later...

Ubuntu is actually very good. If you would like to run certain windows programs you can always use WINE. Has a software repository built into the OS. Software can be installed via the terminal or the GUI. It's lean and doesn't consume much system resources, which makes it very good for use in Netbooks. Another interesting thing is it can be run from a USB flash drive. I would suggest learning to use the terminal as well, it is your friend.

yup! i like it. may kahirapan lang sa drivers and some setup compared sa proprietary pero marami namang benefits. first is you get to taste the geeky world's ideas pero not to exage naman. pero ayos kasi wala kang takot masyado sa sites and viruses. ayos eh B-) talo lang sa magagandang apps na pinagkagastusan like games, photoshop, video edz tools pero i'm not into games, photoshop etc. kaya okay sakin lenux. pero parehas lang yan. maganda lang talaga for your secured browsing and di ka takot sa links na pinagpipipindot mo. hehehe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

been using UNIX/Linux for like 5 years now. Started with Slackware - Fedora - Ubuntu (desktop) FreeBSD - Ubuntu Server - RHEL 4&5 - Solaris 8,10[sPARC x86-x64]. I find ubuntu the best os replacement for windows, unfortunately though, on gaming perspective, dito lang nagkatalotalo. kase most of the games are really not created to run on Linux. I mean you can make it run, but you have to do some configurations which would be EASILY resolved by just doing dual boot. :))

I installed Win7 and Linux Mint on a new laptop. Guess which one gave the better experience? ;)

With Win7 I had to go to the manufacturer's website to download all of the drivers and install them one by one. My monitor wasn't displaying the right resolution on plain Intel HD graphics. Wifi wasn't working. This required downloading several hundred MB's of drivers.

With Linux Mint, everything worked after install -- VGA, wifi, bluetooth, even my laptop's hotkeys. I had a full-blown office app installed, and it downloaded codecs during install so I could play any video format immediately. It's not the usual Linux install, which usually requires some typing on a terminal, but the progress is very visible.

• Like (+1) 1

I installed Win7 and Linux Mint on a new laptop. Guess which one gave the better experience? ;)

With Win7 I had to go to the manufacturer's website to download all of the drivers and install them one by one. My monitor wasn't displaying the right resolution on plain Intel HD graphics. Wifi wasn't working. This required downloading several hundred MB's of drivers.

With Linux Mint, everything worked after install -- VGA, wifi, bluetooth, even my laptop's hotkeys. I had a full-blown office app installed, and it downloaded codecs during install so I could play any video format immediately. It's not the usual Linux install, which usually requires some typing on a terminal, but the progress is very visible.

I did the same for a new Core i3 Desktop, Win7 Ultimate and Ubuntu 11.04. My monitor performed better with Ubuntu 11.04. Pictures are much clearer, crisp and vivid.

Edited by brutus
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just rebooted the box? Get notified when it comes back online with audio alert using old good ping command :)

ping -a YOUR_IP_HOST_NAME

You may want to add the wait delay using the -i and count using the -c for avoiding panic mode

ping -i 30 -c 10 -a YOUR-IP-OR-HOST-HERE

The above will check server 10 times with 30 seconds wait between sending icmp packets. The -a well give audio when packet received.