Linux Anybody?

• 4 weeks later...

Guy's I'm in to the network gaming business... As you all might now by now September 16 is D-Day for the crackdown on illegal softwares... Microsoft Windows specifically... I'm intent on formating my hard disks and installing Linux OS

I'm totally new with Linux and I'll be starting from scratch so I have some questions questions before I do this...

1. Is Linux compatible with the network and Internet gaming softwares like counterstrike, Ragnarok and the likes? If yes, What's your recommended Linux system for me to download?

2. Is it easy to network?

3. Based on some recommendations that I've read here for easy shifting from Windows OS to Linux I've decided to download Slackware and ARK Linux. which is better? Kung may ibang kayong recommends pls free... Basta compatible sa mga gaming softwares...

4. The Linux installer files I'm downloading are in archived format ( ISO and GZ ) .. After I've finished downloading the files I plan to transfer it to a cd.. Can I boot install using the files I saved on the cd?

5. If there's a question that I failed to ask and u think i should know pakisabi na rin...

and last... let me buirst out my anger.... :grr: :grr: :grr: :angry: I wanna kick Bill Gates #@$$...

F()ck microsoft... Two months p lang yun internet cafe ko wala pang return investments ganito na agad... syeeet!!! :angry: :angry:

Guy's I'm in to the network gaming business... As you all might now by now September 16 is D-Day for the crackdown on illegal softwares... Microsoft Windows specifically... I'm intent on formating my hard disks and installing Linux OS

I'm totally new with Linux and I'll be starting from scratch so  I have some questions questions before I do this...

1. Is Linux compatible with the network and Internet gaming softwares like counterstrike, Ragnarok and the likes? If yes, What's your recommended Linux system for me to download?

2. Is it easy to network?

3. Based on some recommendations that I've read here for easy shifting from Windows OS to Linux I've decided to download Slackware and ARK Linux. which is better? Kung may ibang kayong recommends pls free... Basta compatible sa mga gaming softwares...

4. The Linux installer files I'm downloading are in archived format ( ISO and GZ ) .. After I've finished downloading the files I plan to transfer it to a cd.. Can I boot install using the files I saved on the cd?

5. If there's a question that I failed to ask and u think i should know pakisabi na rin...

and last... let me buirst out my anger.... :grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :angry: I wanna kick Bill Gates #@$$...

F()ck microsoft... Two months p  lang yun internet cafe ko wala pang return investments ganito na agad... syeeet!!! :angry:  :angry:

1.) Linux can't play Windows binaries natively. If you use a windows emulator such as WINE, SOME may run but not without some difficulties as well. (I'm thinking if some of us programmers here in MTC can join together and try to "skin" XP making it look like Linux so we can run these games but it wouldn't be acceptable to Linux... :P ...also not thinking of a simple skin as in theme but skin as in even the loading text of Linux coupled by the root login and the console...hehehe...dream on... :cool: )

2.) Depends on what distro you use.

3.) I don't have any idea...

4.) If they were bootable they SHOULD boot.

5.) We all want to kick Bill Gates...

1.) Linux can't play Windows binaries natively. If you use a windows emulator such as WINE, SOME may run but not without some difficulties as well. (I'm thinking if some of us programmers here in MTC can join together and try to "skin" XP making it look like Linux so we can run these games but it wouldn't be acceptable to Linux... :P ...also not thinking of a simple skin as in theme but skin as in even the loading text of Linux coupled by the root login and the console...hehehe...dream on... :cool: )

2.) Depends on what distro you use.

3.) I don't have any idea...

4.) If they were bootable they SHOULD boot.

5.) We all want to kick Bill Gates...

so basically, what ur saying is hindi for network gaming ang LINUX... ??? :( :(

so basically, what ur saying is hindi for network gaming ang LINUX... ??? :(  :(

Nope...it's just that many popular network/online games today are not compiled to run on Linux so you need a Windows emulator, such as WINE, to run some of them. (Please note that WINE is just an emulation software so your software may or may not run. :( ) If the games are Linux binaries, then you can run them quite well (even better :P ) in Linux than in Windows. :hypocritesmiley:

Kung gaming lang gusto mo, I believe Linux is not for you. At least for now. You can say gaming is the last in the list of what Linux is supposed to be used.

However, there are emulators that allows you to run Windows binaries (e.g. games) under Linux. But setup is a little bit a pain and not all are guaranteed to run.

You can also use VMWare which you can install a full Windows OS inside Linux. Of course, there's a performance hit. If you have dual core processors, maybe this is not an issue.

As for the best distro. It's your own choice, better try as many as you can then choose. You are the only one who knows what's best for you.

Cedega with Point2Play supports hundreds of games, including blockbuster hits such as Half-Life 2, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Battlefield 1942, WarCraft III, Diablo II, and Max Payne 2, just to name a few. Of course, MMPORG games such as City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, and World of WarCraft are also included. New games are added all the time!

Most Popular

* Battlefield 2

* Guild Wars *

* Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

* Black and White 2

* Fable: The Lost Chapters

* Counter-Strike: Source

* Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne *

* Sims 2, The

* World of Warcraft *

* Star Wars: Empire At War

Recently added

* Worms 4: Mayhem

* Khan Siege War

* Black and White 2

* Universal Combat

* Boiling Point : Road to hell

* Xenimus

* Contract J.A.C.K

* Mech Commander 2

* Jane's Combat Simulations: F15

Recently approved/edited games

* Worms 4: Mayhem

* Panzer Commander

* Black and White 2

* Boiling Point : Road to hell

* Khan Siege War

* Universal Combat

* Warlords Battlecry III

* Xenimus

* Contract J.A.C.K

hmmm I semm to have solved my problem...Transgaming Link

TransGaming's roots are in Linux, with our flagship product Cedega. Very few games are developed natively for Linux but, with the global proliferation of Linux as a preferred operating system of choice, users are demanding the ability to play games.

Cedega allows Windows-based games to run on Linux, out-of-the-box, seamlessly and transparently. With Cedega, TransGaming does not require any access to a game's source code but, rather, runs the Windows executable on Linux. In simplified terms, Cedega loads a game's binary into memory on a Linux system and then dynamically links to code that provides an implementation of the Win32 APIs that the program is using. The APIs that Windows games are mostly built on top of are primarily based on Microsoft's DirectX system. These APIs include facilities for handling 3D graphics (Direct3D), mouse and keyboard input (DirectInput), audio (DirectSound), and so on. TransGaming works to create Linux compatible versions of these APIs that work on top of the Linux equivalents such as OpenGL, X11, and the OSS and ALSA sound APIs. An important attribute of Cedega is the complete support for third party engines and SDKs such as Bink, Lithtech, Miles, Havok, Renderware, etc. Cedega is the culmination of several years of effort on these API and our engineering team's knowledge of DirectX is probably second only to Microsoft's own.

Cedega support hundreds of the top Windows games on Linux, including such blockbuster hits as Max Payne 2, GTA Vice City, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield: Vietnam, WarCraft III, Diablo II, Half-Life, just to name a few; MMPORG games such as City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest and many many more are also supported. Cedega's success to-date has been based on TransGaming's ability to keep pace with the tremendous number of new games being released regularly and in delivering equivalent game-play experience and performance. For more information on our progress with specific games, you can browse our games database.

In addition to Cedega, TransGaming has also developed a product, AclereX, that specifically caters to corporate customers and their business software applications. AclereX allows Windows based applications to run on Linux and is also being used to port custom developed applications to Linux. More information can be obtained at www.aclerex.com.

I was able to download the latest cedga from bearshare... pero hindi yata installtion files ito.... archived file ng I386

copy to folder lang ba to sa linux?

The extension of the files you downloaded will tell you which type of Linux it installs to.

.RPM -> RedHat, SUSE, Mandrake

.DEB -> Debian, Knoppix (HD installation)

.TGZ -> SlackWare, Slax (upon modification)

These are the only types I know of. I'm not too much into Linux yet so please forgive any mistakes and/or omissions that may have been committed. :hypocritesmiley:

The extension of the files you downloaded will tell you which type of Linux it installs to.

.RPM -> RedHat, SUSE, Mandrake

.DEB -> Debian, Knoppix (HD installation)

.TGZ -> SlackWare, Slax (upon modification)

These are the only types I know of. I'm not too much into Linux yet so please forgive any mistakes and/or omissions that may have been committed.  :hypocritesmiley:

if the downloaded file is in .bz2/.gzip/.tar it could be a precompiled binary that you have to extract (bunzip2/gunzip/tar) then execute a .bin or an sh file. sun microsystem pour their java using this method :cool: