Linux Anybody?

hello po.

bago sa mtc, at bago din sa linux. eto po at back track pa lang sa mga posts.

nag hahanap po kasi ako ng damn small linux. try ko kasi sana po...

meron na ako na dl kaso ayaw naman gumana, (or di ko lang alam paganahin.. ) hehehe

anyone?

hay...

ayaw talaga gumana yung DSL (damn small linux)...

naka write na sa cd ko yung files and folders nya.

>boot

>knoppix

>lost+found

>index

kaso ayaw mag boot sa cd, naka default na rin sa aking pc yung boot from cd...pero sadyang ayaw mag boot.

anybody who tried po using this one? i hope someone can help.

thanks.

hay...

ayaw talaga gumana yung DSL (damn small linux)...

naka write na sa cd ko yung files and folders nya.

>boot

>knoppix

>lost+found

>index

kaso ayaw mag boot sa cd, naka default na rin sa aking pc yung boot from cd...pero sadyang ayaw mag boot.

anybody who tried po using this one? i hope someone can help.

thanks.

Have you tried using cheatcodes?

"A cheatcode is a option which can be passed to DSL before it boots. They can be used to change the way DSL operates. Since DSL is based on Knoppix it inherits a number of cheatcodes from Knoppix. Over time a number of options unique to DSL have been added.

Boot DSL from the Live CD. At the first boot prompt type dsl followed by the cheatcodes you wish to use. DSL will then boot with your selected options."

Theyre here:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/Cheat_Codes

Good luck.

Hummm... what language did you choose when you installed it?

US English. But it's ok now. All I needed to do was reboot and for some reason everything got back to normal. I hope it doesn't happen again, though.

Can someone post the ideal Feisty Fawn repository listing here - including the non-free ones?

Damn. I hope they make it even more user-friendly next release and won't have to rely on terminal commands anymore.

I also ran into trouble recently with my display setting. I messed up the configuration in /etc/x11/xorg.conf as I was trying to follow the instructions on http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Nvi...dgy-44388.shtml . Then when I rebooted, the GUI wouldn't load and kept saying that the system display was misconfigured and ejected me to the unix prompt - which I have no idea whatsoever how to run commands in. If this were to happen again, what commands should I type to 1) go to the etc/x11 directory and 2) copy the backup of the old config file and replace the messed up config file with the old one?

What I was intending to do was disable the video overlay because whenever I switch on the Desktop Effects, any videos that I play show up as a green colored screen.

Edited by artvader
Can someone post the ideal Feisty Fawn repository listing here - including the non-free ones?

You can enable multiverse and other repositories from Synaptic to get more applications.

Then there's also Medibuntu, where you can get some non-free stuff like codecs and Skype (if you need it)-- I don't remember the address exactly but you can Google for "Medibuntu".

Damn. I hope they make it even more user-friendly next release and won't have to rely on terminal commands anymore.

I also ran into trouble recently with my display setting. I messed up the configuration in /etc/x11/xorg.conf...

I actually ran into a similar situation when I first installed Edgy a few months ago. The only solution that I was able to come up with was to reinstall (toink!). And I honestly don't know how to remedy it should I run into that situation again so I just shun away from editing xorg.

I haven't experienced that "things turning green" problem though. When I messed up my xorg, I was trying to get Beryl to work and I must have typed the wrong stuff in the wrong places. I wasn't able to overwrite the old xorg with the backup.

Using the terminal though, I think, is something that we really cannot escape. Hehehe! Well, we'll get used to it.

You can enable multiverse and other repositories from Synaptic to get more applications.

Then there's also Medibuntu, where you can get some non-free stuff like codecs and Skype (if you need it)-- I don't remember the address exactly but you can Google for "Medibuntu".

The problem with Ubuntu's native repository is that it isn't complete. The first thing I do after intalling Ubuntu is to turn on support for my NTFS drives by installing the "NTFS Config" tool. Everybody on the forum says its on the universe repository of Ubuntu, but Synaptic doesn't see it, nor does the Add/Remove Program module.

I haven't experienced that "things turning green" problem though.

It's the way the videos are handled, I think. It's actually an overlay on "top" or "bottom" of the desktop. So if I turn on Beryl and desktop effects, the video gets covered up with a mono colored block. But, when you pause the video or move the movie player, a "screenshot" of the currently playing video appears, until you un-pause it, that is.

did you boot from the live cd and mount your partition and edit from there?

ganun kasi ginagawa ko pag meron ako nasira config and ayaw mag boot ng maayos ang ubuntu.

Yan ang hindi ko naisip!

Well, I guess that's what I get for panicking. :)

liquidtension: yeah, it's actually a good OS. It's not as "plug-and-play" as Windows is, at least not if you use your PC aside from the regular office work. Media is really difficult to configure at first. But when you get all your stuff together, it really does wonders.

Yan ang hindi ko naisip!

Well, I guess that's what I get for panicking. :)

liquidtension: yeah, it's actually a good OS. It's not as "plug-and-play" as Windows is, at least not if you use your PC aside from the regular office work. Media is really difficult to configure at first. But when you get all your stuff together, it really does wonders.

It's got a better 'plug and play' than Windows... When installing windows, I always have to have the drivers for my video card, sound card and LAN ready along with the Windows XP installer. With Ubuntu, I just pop in the disc and tell it to install... and it also install while I'm surfing the web pa. The only problem I have with it is that most of the softwares that I need to install are in the internet pa.

Edited by artvader