Linux Anybody?

Hello po. Pa-advice naman ako kung anong meron video editing software na puwede kong patakbuhin sa Ubuntu. The files I need to edit are mpeg (kung may wmv support din, mas ok). Kahit yung kasing simple lang ng Windows Movie Maker. Thanks. :D

Im not into video editing but i think you can try

GIMP, GIMPShop, Krita, Pixel

I am not just sure if wmv is supported.

If you are familiar with windows equivalent just check

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_...indows_software

good luck

I think you will find feather linux interesting since it is able to run from a USB stick. Only issue is that it will wear the stick down since it will be accessed more extensive. Speed is a bit slower though

you could use damn small linux. i think it could run even on a pentium I. it's so darn fast. however, i do have some problems with it connecting to the internet. but still you could get one with open office and firefox already so i guess that's a good choice for slow pc's.

Hello po. Pa-advice naman ako kung anong meron video editing software na puwede kong patakbuhin sa Ubuntu. The files I need to edit are mpeg (kung may wmv support din, mas ok). Kahit yung kasing simple lang ng Windows Movie Maker. Thanks. :D

Try kino. Look for it in synaptic or run 'sudo apt-get install kino' from the command line.

Kino will let you download your Digital Video from your camcorder via firewire. Then you can edit it and export it to .avi or mpeg (mpeg2 if you want to write it to a dvd, mpeg1 for vcd).

Hope this helps.

Guest fhoryou

If you are a newbie with linux go for FreeSpire. Freespire was the Lindows (Windows Linux) which exactly like windows and runs Windows base programs without installing wine. You can go to http://www.freespire.org/. This is supported by LInspire. There are two version the OSS (open source software) versions has packages with OSS programs like Open office. The full version has CNR. It actually can run Windows Media Player 11.

The other windows like version is PC LInux.

But if you want to use a Windows Vista version of Linux then you have to try Ubuntu.

If you are going a bit advance go for OpenSuse and Novell's version of linux but if you are really serious and go pro then use Red Hat.

Edited by fhoryou

Linux on CD rom. dami dyan. Knoppix is the first one that comes to mind. Google it. Or google Live CD. Also there's damn small linux, Ubuntu, Mepis. They all have live cd's. Damn small linux could even run on a pendrive. Sobrang bilis nga lang ang hirap medyo mag connect sa net.

If you are a newbie with linux go for FreeSpire. Freespire was the Lindows (Windows Linux) which exactly like windows and runs Windows base programs without installing wine. You can go to http://www.freespire.org/. This is supported by LInspire. There are two version the OSS (open source software) versions has packages with OSS programs like Open office. The full version has CNR. It actually can run Windows Media Player 11.

The other windows like version is PC LInux.

But if you want to use a Windows Vista version of Linux then you have to try Ubuntu.

If you are going a bit advance go for OpenSuse and Novell's version of linux but if you are really serious and go pro then use Red Hat.

Thanks, sound interesting, I will give FreeSpire a try.

Hi guys..Im planning to make a second OS to my PC and looking forward to Linux. Since ala pa me idea sa Linux, ano ba yung mga Red Hat, Ubuntu and etc? Ano ba yung parang mainstream version ng Linux? (halimbawa sa Microsoft yung Windows mismo). Parang sobrang dami kasi gusto ko yung pinaka stable and user friendly. Kadalasan kong nakikita ay Red Hat and Ubuntu, yun ba yung parang mainstream nila? Sorry kasi ala me gaano alam sa ibang OS, mula sa pagmulat ng mata ko sa PC, Windows agad me ^_^

Saan kayo kumukuha ng installer? Need orientation please..Thanks!! ^^

Ken: Thanks talaga sa link, I was able to install and run Cinelerra. I think I can work with this!

Anyway, share ko lang din... I wasn't able to have the program run at first because apparently, there are complied packages that don't work or don't work well with my system. I was able to download a package that works in my Ubuntu Feisty though and here is the source: "http://giss.tv/~vale/ubuntuopengl/ ./" -- I tried two others that didn't work but this one did.

Ayun! Very happy! Salamat ulit sa link. :)

Kenj: I'm using Ubuntu now, and so far it's the only distribution I've tried. Ok naman if you're newly transitioning from Windows to Linux. Meron nga lang siyang dalawang desktop environments (actually hindi lang dalawa pero popular ito): yung Gnome (stock na Ubuntu) at yung KDE (Kubuntu). I've tried both but now I'm leaning towards Gnome, although KDE looks very familiar if you're used to WinXP in my opinion. Madami din tools yung KDE to help you with your hardware-- in my experience, mas madaling mag-install ng printer sa KDE kaysa sa Gnome (yung Brother kasi ang gamit ko at medyo mabusisi siya). Anyway, masayang adventure yan! Hehehehe!

Ken: Thanks talaga sa link, I was able to install and run Cinelerra. I think I can work with this!

Anyway, share ko lang din... I wasn't able to have the program run at first because apparently, there are complied packages that don't work or don't work well with my system. I was able to download a package that works in my Ubuntu Feisty though and here is the source: "http://giss.tv/~vale/ubuntuopengl/ ./" -- I tried two others that didn't work but this one did.

Ayun! Very happy! Salamat ulit sa link. :)

Kenj: I'm using Ubuntu now, and so far it's the only distribution I've tried. Ok naman if you're newly transitioning from Windows to Linux. Meron nga lang siyang dalawang desktop environments (actually hindi lang dalawa pero popular ito): yung Gnome (stock na Ubuntu) at yung KDE (Kubuntu). I've tried both but now I'm leaning towards Gnome, although KDE looks very familiar if you're used to WinXP in my opinion. Madami din tools yung KDE to help you with your hardware-- in my experience, mas madaling mag-install ng printer sa KDE kaysa sa Gnome (yung Brother kasi ang gamit ko at medyo mabusisi siya). Anyway, masayang adventure yan! Hehehehe!

Great Work Samhain! Since I'm using Ubutu as well I'l get try that package of Cinelerra.

And the adventure continues...

Hi guys..Im planning to make a second OS to my PC and looking forward to Linux....

...Saan kayo kumukuha ng installer? Need orientation please..Thanks!! ^^

download ka sa mga site nila tapos gawa ka ng ISO.

Kailangan mo lang ng cd writer, burning software (NERO, etc.) at blank cd.

marami sa mga yun may "make ISO" function.

pagkatapos nun may installer ka na :)

o kaya magtanung tanong ka sa mga pirata (arrghh me mateys! ROFL), meron din sila niyan.

nakakita ako ng Red Hat minsan :lol:

HTH

Edited by hitomi

guys...tanong ko lang if there are 3d softwares(like 3dsmax, maya) and renderers(like syflex) for linux? o gamitan ko na lang VMware?

security ng Ubuntu is impressive.out of the box ok na, unlike winxp na bukas lahat at vista na pwede mo-iforce na deactivate ang security remotely (sorry cant tell you the details, kakasuhan ako ng M$). anyway ano bang hardened pwede ko matry na hardened linux for desktop n server at security software for linux.

test ko as baseline for my intrusion software, from outside the network hacking thru a router-box setup with level 3 IC software (IP tracing, network activity monitoring, hierarchical network access):

note: a level 3 IC is standard setup for "normal business networks"(internal access control, passwords, internal company communcations, etc.). level 4 is for secured servers(employee payroll, executive personal info).level 5 is for high security servers(company bank accounts, internal procedures, patents, etc.)

out of the box:

winxp:45 secs

win vista:10 secs

ubuntu:2 mins

hardened(manual configuration for ubuntu, internet security software and windows defender for M$):

winxp:1 min

vista:15 secs

ubuntu:3 mins

^Blender 3D. http://www.blender.org

Nasubukan ko na, madali lang naman matutunan. And it's light weight. I don't work much in animation though so I can't say how it compares to other software. But here's the thing, I wasn't able to try the others that you mention because I lacked the system requirements. I was able to use Blender though. :)

There are sample renders in YouTube. Just search for "Blender 3D". The comments I came across found it to be comparable to Maya-- but I really wouldn't know.

anyway ano bang hardened pwede ko matry na hardened linux for desktop n server at security software for linux.

mag-Nitix ka. Gamit VPN, extra: automated ang up ng downed server, dhcp nga lang.

Ususally did: gawa ka ng dummy na linux naka-chroot lang tapos assign ka ibang port mo para sa access sa tunay.

hope it works for your system ^_^

Edited by Wacky Dreamer