Linux Anybody?

Knoppix comes in both DVD versions and CD versions. Obviously there are less applications in the CD version.

You can also remaster your own version of Knoppix (like I did)

really? howd u do it sir?

i only have a dvd version, how will i remaster it to make a cd rom?

am thinkin of putting just the OS and the office applications only

Guest Leviticus
I tried Ubuntu 6.06 a few days ago.

Unfortunately I don't recommend it for people who connect it to the net using dial-up. Marami ka pa kailangan idownload, mag version 5.10 ka nalang.

its the same even if you use version 5.1 of ubuntu.

masmaganda if bayanihan 4 ka na lang since based sa ubuntu rin yun

Anybody tried Knoppix? CD-based Linux OS.

I've tried it. Worked great until I grew out of it. I now use Slackware and Ubuntu...

really? howd u do it sir?

i only have a dvd version, how will i remaster it to make a cd rom?

am thinkin of putting just the OS and the office applications only

There's a FAQ about this somewhere on the internet. Just google it... :cool:

ANg hirap ng linux!

Wala mashadong program...

I had to download programs sa limewire... pero konti lang...

but i think slowly rumarami narin ang pwedeng programs dito...

Ginagamit ko lang linux cpu namin pag may hindi ako siguradong site or download

Wrong. There are plenty of alternative programs in Linux. You just need to search for it in order to find it. :lol:

I tried Ubuntu 6.06 a few days ago.

Unfortunately I don't recommend it for people who connect it to the net using dial-up. Marami ka pa kailangan idownload, mag version 5.10 ka nalang.

That's because most dial-up modems (internal) sold here in the philippines are softmodems (they make the CPU do the modem work...insufficient hardware which is why they're cheap...) which don't work well with Linux. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Guest Leviticus

I am currently trying out two linux distros right now: Bayanihan (Fedora core 3?) linux for P3 computers and Mandriva Linux. All I can say about Mandriva is: "Ang cute" as compared to Fedora 5, and RHEE. I think I will stick to Mandriva for awhile :cool:

That's because most dial-up modems (internal) sold here in the philippines are softmodems (they make the CPU do the modem work...insufficient hardware which is why they're cheap...) which don't work well with Linux. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Thanks, unfortunately most PC's comes with soft modem. Are there distros that can detect soft modem right away? I have problems with the instructions from linuxant.com.

I am currently trying out two linux distros right now: Bayanihan (Fedora core 3?) linux for P3 computers and Mandriva Linux. All I can say about Mandriva is: "Ang cute" as compared to Fedora 5, and RHEE. I think I will stick to Mandriva for awhile :cool:

been using mandrake (and of course eventually mandriva). it's may second fave distro. slackware remains my fave distro, since '97 :cool:

Gentoo is cool. Debian is cool. althought they are just distros.

Been using linux since time immemorial. im not here to brag pero for those beginners who want to explore it. Use Ubuntu. then grow up to fedora after fedora go to debian after debian go to gentoo.

along the way you will learn bash scripting, next will come perl programming then comes next c. before you know it you know tcp/ip and networking. next will come security.

dont be afraid to use it. if in doubt sa console type man <command> just dont try to do rm -rf /

peace.

Guest Leviticus

Ows? What's the diff between Slackware and Mandriva? I'll start downloading the ISOs later but in the meantime, can you guys give a preview on slackware? :flowers:

Thanks, unfortunately most PC's comes with soft modem. Are there distros that can detect soft modem right away? I have problems with the instructions from linuxant.com.

I don't believe there are any distros that support soft modems out-of-the-box. You just need to research more on how to properly install a softmodem driver when on linux. It can be done but not without some work involved. :cool:

I don't believe there are any distros that support soft modems out-of-the-box. You just need to research more on how to properly install a softmodem driver when on linux. It can be done but not without some work involved. :cool:

Too bad, it is the lack of softmodem support that is turning off a lot of potential linux users, and driving them into the arms of bootleg xp.

hi guys,

could you help me here...

i run a design outfit working mostly on digital design and artworks.

i have clients abroad.

the programs we use are word, photoshop, illustrator, 3d max, pagemaker, indesign, acrobat.

i use mozilla thunderbird and outlook express, alternatively, for sending and receiving files.

also, got mac and pc.

pldt dsl for internet connection.

can i shift to linux? mac and pc?

appreciate your inputs.

thanks!!!

(simon b @ Aug 17 2006, 02:45 AM)

hi guys,

could you help me here...

i run a design outfit working mostly on digital design and artworks.

i have clients abroad.

the programs we use are word, photoshop, illustrator, 3d max, pagemaker, indesign, acrobat.

i use mozilla thunderbird and outlook express, alternatively, for sending and receiving files.

also, got mac and pc.

pldt dsl for internet connection.

can i shift to linux? mac and pc?

appreciate your inputs.

thanks!!!

you don't need to shift to linux when you got macintosh hehe :cool:

ANYWAY, you can shift to linux, you've just got to allow for some growing pains

there are alternative applications for the software you listed. for example, "openoffice writer"

or "star office" can take the place of M$ word, "the gimp" can take the place of photoshop, etc.

but if you cannot leave your favorite programs, you can use Wine or Cedega. they're programs

that enable you to run windows-based programs on linux.

we're using ubuntu 6.06 now

wish you the best :thumbsupsmiley:

oh, i've found out that its easier to connect to a DSL internet account using linux through a LAN card, rather than USB

(just a tip)

Edited by hitomi

you don't need to shift to linux when you got macintosh hehe

ANYWAY, you can shift to linux, you've just got to allow for some growing pains

there are alternative applications for the software you listed. for example, "openoffice writer"

or "star office" can take the place of M$ word, "the gimp" can take the place of photoshop, etc.

but if you cannot leave your favorite programs, you can use Wine or Cedega. they're programs

that enable you to run windows-based programs on linux.

we're using ubuntu 6.06 now

wish you the best

oh, i've found out that its easier to connect to a DSL internet account using linux through a LAN card, rather than USB

(just a tip)

my advice if you're into graphics is to stick with windows, or if you have money, move to mac.

linux is just another tool, not the answer to all computing problems.

thanks guys!

very helpful insights.

roninblade, guess i have to stick to windows then.

cant live without my graphics programs.

yes hitomi, about mac, that was stupid of me...

thanks again