PacMan's Corner

menime

Pacquiao doesn't need to fight gayweather...but if they do, it should be gayweather who should do the initiative to put the fight on the negotiating table. Let gayweather come to Pacman's corner and not the other way around. I believe gayweather is scared of Pacman. This fight would commensurate if they agree on the fight purse especially on gayweather's end. No doubt Pacman is the best pound-for-pound pugilist of the world. I hope Pacman loses on the upcoming elections so that he could continue what he does best - boxing. But I think he will win because he changed his hometown from Gen. San to Saranggani. He's gunning for a congressional seat if I'm not mistaken. If he wins, the mega fight would be set after the elections. I hope politics doesn't tarnish Pacman's reputation as a person.

hahaha!!! Natakot na si Gayweather!!!

Mayweather needs tuneup bout

By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) Updated November 30, 2009 12:00 AM

Photo is loading...

Floyd Mayweather Jr.

MANILA, Philippines - One indication that the Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight won’t happen soon is the latest report that the undefeated ex-pound-for-pound champion from the United States is seriously looking at a fight in England early next year.

Only after that fight in England, against anybody out there, possibly Ricky Hatton’s brother, Matthew, will Mayweather seriously think of climbing the ring against Pacquiao, a fighter who defeated everybody thrown at him over the last four years.

It was reported by The Examiner a few days ago that Mayweather is soon headed for Europe for his next fight. The decision, it was written, was made after Pacquiao destroyed the bigger, younger and supposedly stronger Miguel Cotto last Nov. 14.

Mayweather must have felt the power of Pacquiao as he watched Cotto endure 12 rounds of hell before the referee stepped in to halt the fight in the 55-second mark of the 12th round at the MGM Grand and 1.25 million pay-per-view homes worldwide.

Mayweather came out of a 21-month retirement to beat Juan Manuel Marquez last September, but must have thought he needed another tuneup match even before he could see himself up in the ring against the express named Pacquiao.

“I think it’s a situation where Floyd isn’t worried too much about anything. He knows eventually that he is going to have to step up to the plate and make things happen,” Mayweather’s uncle, Jeff, was quoted as saying,

“For the most part he has the intention of having a fight in England. I think he is focusing on that more than Manny Pacquiao. I think he is going to try to make that happen then move on to the Manny Pacquiao fight.

“I’m not sure who he is fighting but I know that Roger (Mayweather) is training him now,” he said.

Pacquiao wants the fight with Mayweather next year but his chief trainer, Freddie Roach, said it won’t take place in March which may be too soon to hold the biggest fight in recent history

. He said they would need more time to prepare for Mayweather.

Another date being considered for Pacquiao’s next fight, and it could be good enough for a Mayweather fight, is May 1. But Pacquiao’s political agenda stands on the way as he plans to run for Congress in the May 10 national elections in the Philippines.

If Pacquiao drops his bid for Congress, then May 1 should be a good day to fight Mayweather, and it could take place in Las Vegas, Dallas, New Orleans or Vancouver but not in New York because of high tax rates.

Meanwhile, Pacquiao has been nominated as the US Sports Academy’s Athlete of the Year for 2009.

The selection ends on Dec. 24 and the winner will be announced soon.

just like to share something..

norm fauenheim of 15Rounds.com quoted pacquiao promoter bob arum called him “boxing’s tiger woods’’ and yahoo columnist kevin lole offered an amendment, saying that tiger woods is “golf’s manny pacquiao.’’

he even suggested that not only Sports Illustrated must name pacquiao its Sportsman of the year, but, likewise, the Associated Press. (of course, that didn't transpired. derek jeter of the new york yankees won that award this year. manny just havta blame that on his alleged indiscretions with krista ranillo.)

“It’s not often that any athlete can single-handedly captivate a nation. But Pacquiao has. (Roger) Federer, James, Bryant and (New Orleans quarterback Drew) Brees are all terrific athletes and ambassadors for their respective sports. But Pacquiao has become a reason to cheer, almost an island of hope, for Filipinos hit by typhoons in October and political violence during the last week.

I’ve heard a Pacquiao story that might be apocryphal, but it is worth repeating. Warring rebel and government troops call a cease fire when Pacquiao fights so they can watch and/or listen. After it’s over, they go back to war. If that’s even close to true, the Nobel people got the wrong guy when they picked President Barack Obama for their peace prize. It should have gone to Pacquiao.”

Pacquiao doesn't need to fight gayweather...but if they do, it should be gayweather who should do the initiative to put the fight on the negotiating table. Let gayweather come to Pacman's corner and not the other way around. I believe gayweather is scared of Pacman. This fight would commensurate if they agree on the fight purse especially on gayweather's end. No doubt Pacman is the best pound-for-pound pugilist of the world. I hope Pacman loses on the upcoming elections so that he could continue what he does best - boxing. But I think he will win because he changed his hometown from Gen. San to Saranggani. He's gunning for a congressional seat if I'm not mistaken. If he wins, the mega fight would be set after the elections. I hope politics doesn't tarnish Pacman's reputation as a person.

PACMAN always goes for anything, just hoping that his entrance into politicking will not affect his focus on his boxing............ Especially when he'll encounter gayweather

...so, the fight may push thru after all.....

Pacquiao-Mayweather bout closer

By Dan Rafael

ESPN.com

The proposed super fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather is getting closer.

Mayweather agreed to terms for the welterweight title bout on Tuesday, multiple sources with knowledge of the negotiations told ESPN.com.

The proposed date is March 13, although there is a chance it could move to May 1, sources said. Mayweather, according to a source close to him, is OK with either date.

Pacquiao and Mayweather have fought recent bouts at catch weights. However if they complete their deal, the bout would be contested at 147 pounds, the maximum for a welterweight fight, a source said.

Top Rank's Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs), was flying to the Philippines on Tuesday night to meet with Pacquiao and try to close his side of the deal.

Arum spent much of Tuesday getting open issues resolved in his negotiations with Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, who represents Mayweather, sources said. Once Arum was able to do that, he left for the Philippines and is expected back on Monday.

If the HBO PPV fight happens on March 13, it would force the tentative HBO PPV fight between light heavyweights Roy Jones Jr. and Bernard Hopkins to move to another date. Hopkins and Jones both fight Wednesday and must win for their fight to go through.

The site for Pacquiao-Mayweather remains up in the air. There is interest from Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to bring the fight to his new stadium. There is also interest from venues in Las Vegas, including the MGM Grand (which has hosted several Pacquiao and Mayweather fights), and the Superdome in New Orleans in hosting a fight many believe will break the all-time record for pay-per-view buys, which is the 2.44 million units sold for Mayweather's 2007 split decision victory against Oscar De La Hoya.

The fight moved front and center with heavy public demand for it following Pacquiao's dominant 12th-round knockout of Miguel Cotto to win a welterweight title on Nov. 14. The victory gave Pacquiao a title in a record-breaking seventh weight division and 1.25 million pay-per-view units.

Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs), who has won titles in five divisions, came out of a brief retirement in September to dominate Juan Manuel Marquez in a fight that generated 1.05 million buys.

Just a few days after Pacquiao's win over Cotto, Arum and Schaefer began negotiations.

One wrench in the talks was the date. Arum, Schaefer and HBO wanted to slot the fight on May 1. However, Pacquiao announced his candidacy for a congressional seat in the Philippines on Tuesday. With the election scheduled for May 10, it rules out a May 1 fight unless Pacquiao runs unopposed. Pacquiao lost the election for a congressional seat in 2007.

If Pacquiao-Mayweather isn't finalized, Arum has talked about matching Pacquiao with junior middleweight titlist Yuri Foreman, which would give Pacquiao an opportunity to win a title in an eighth division. Foreman defeated Daniel Santos to win a 154-pound belt on the Pacquiao-Cotto undercard.

Schaefer has talked about bringing Mayweather to England to match him with Matthew Hatton in the event Pacquiao-Mayweather isn't made. Hatton is the brother of Ricky Hatton, the former junior welterweight and welterweight titlist whom Mayweather knocked out in 2007.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Langya! 2 possible congressional seats (lol!) nga ang tinatakbuhan ni Pakyaw. One as partylist and the other is Saranggani rep. Posible nga talaga. Medyo unfair ata yun. Tapos may laban pa kay Gayweather... tv shows... etc. etc.

pls nag horsie pa sya kay krista :thumbsupsmiley: all around talaga

the Mayweather - Pacquiao fight is on guys..

The much-anticipated bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao is all but set for March 13, a source told Yahoo! Sports.

Mayweather has agreed to terms and promoter Bob Arum is making a trip to Manila, Philippines, to finalize a deal with Pacquiao, the source said.

Las Vegas, Dallas and New Orleans are the front-runners to host the bout, which is expected to become the highest-grossing boxing match in the sport’s history.

Pacquiao is the top pound-for-pound fighter in nearly every major ranking, including Yahoo! Sports. Mayweather is No. 2 in most rankings and was No. 1 in nearly all of the polls before he briefly retired in June 2008.

Pacquiao is coming off a 12th-round stoppage of Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, a bout in which he won the World Boxing Organization welterweight championship and erased fears that he is not a legitimate welterweight.

Cotto was a legitimate welterweight in his prime and Pacquiao dominated, knocking him down twice and cruising to the one-sided victory.

Mayweather routed Juan Manuel Marquez, who had previously been ranked No. 2 in the Yahoo! Sports poll, in a Sept. 19 fight at the MGM Grand.

The public demand for the fight has been enormous, putting pressure on Arum and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, who represents Mayweather, to get a deal done.

Promoters had targeted May 1 for the fight almost from the moment that Pacquiao stopped Cotto. But Pacquiao filed Tuesday to run for Congress in the Philippines and the election will be held on May 10.

Given that, the bout with Mayweather had to be moved up to March 13 or pushed back until September.

Though there were reports that Arum was considering matching Pacquiao with new WBO super welterweight champion Yuri Foreman on March 13 in Dallas, that was a diversionary move and was never serious, the source said.

A survey team from Top Rank will inspect Dallas Cowboys Stadium as a possible venue. The MGM Grand Garden Arena and the New Orleans Superdome are also in the running to host the mega-fight, the source said

mukhang bumabahag na ang buntot ni gayweather

Source: Pac-Man Vs. Floyd “Isn’t Gonna Happen”

Published by Scoop Malinowski on December 2nd, 2009

Print This Post | Email This Post | RSS

One of the beauties about covering boxing is that most of the characters involved are directly and often brutally honest – and so a reporter frequently learns interesting and intriguing facts. But then sometimes the reporter discovers big news when he least expects it.

This is what happened to yours truly on Wednesday at the Paul Williams – Sergio Martinez press conference. At the end of the conference I wanted to ask one of the world’s best trainers, who was present due to his involvement on Saturday night, what his thoughts were on how Mayweather vs. Pacquoiao would play out and who would prevail?

“It isn’t gonna happen,” stated the source in a certain and matter of fact tone. Semi-surprised to hear such a revelation I pressed for more. “It isn’t gonna happen” is all he would say.

But it was the convincing and doubtless tone that was striking. And this source is directly connected to a key figure from Team Mayweather, by way of a mutual advisor. Now if anyone needs a bigger hint than that…

The source also added, “And do you know who Mayweather wants to fight next?” I answered as we both chuckled, Matthew Hatton.

The amazing thing about this more than credible revelation from a very connected source is that HBO may not even be aware of it. HBO’s head Ross Greenburg reiterated his position of firmly wanting to make Pacquiao vs. Mayweather a reality but added he wasn’t able to reveal anything about the negotiations as all parties have agreed to not speak to the media about it. Greenburg departed the press conference for another engagement before I could get his comment about the “It isn’t gonna happen” statement.

Boy oh boy, it sure is going to be interesting to see how HBO deals with Mayweather when he betrays the network that has earned him millions upon millions. HBO is going to be quite displeased if Mayweather refuses to meet Pacquiao next year, that you can be sure of.

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao…”It isn’t gonna happen.” If you believe the source who would have no reason or motive to mislead or deceive unlike one Leonard Ellerbe.

But is it any real surprise? We all know Mayweather ducked Margarito, Cotto and Mosley. Like he’s going to suudenly start now to fight the best? It doesn’t matter how much money is on the line.

All the money in the world could never erase how Roy Jones got knocked out by Antonio Tarver, Glen Johnson and now Danny Green. And for Floyd Mayweather, no amount of money is worth getting brutally and savagely knocked out by Manny Pacquiao