PacMan's Corner

menime

Pacman has now become a true complete fighter.

Dizzying handspeed/Unreal workrate? = check

Power in both hands? = check

Beautiful footwork? (I actually stood up and cheered with these non-punching displays of technique from Manny) = check

Granite chin? (Cotto's hits are not something to be trifled with, you can see Manny's neck flail everytime he eats Cottos leather) = check

If this were a video game and you had to create a complete fighter with no restrictions, you'd come up with a Manny Pacquiao.

-------------

on PBF x Pacman

This fight is too huge to not happen next year.

This fight will be the fight that will define boxing for the next four or five years. It is a rare opportunity to match two of the world's absolute best at their physical primes.

And because of this the money will be too huge to ignore, even by Mayweather.

If Mayweather ducks this then he really is a coward and should just retire. He's run out of excuses:

1) PBF Excuse #1 "I fight for the money not the legacy" = nope can't use this one, this is the only real money fight in PBFs foreseeable future. No other fight can net him the amount of money that this fight can.

2) PBF Excuse #2 "Arum won't work with me" = nope can't use that either. Arum already said that he wants for this fight to happen because thats what the people want.

3) PBF Excuse #3 "I'm the biggest draw there is. If I don't get the split that I want (70-30 mind you) then I'm gone" = Nope, scratch that excuse too. Manny X Cotto is shaping up to record over 1.5M PPV buys, well over 500k buys more than what PBFxJMM made last time. Pacquiao is the sport's crossover superstar at the moment, and people will come to see him fight a guy in a chicken suit.

When they do fight, I see Manny fighting a hard fought battle, but pulling out a win in the later rounds. PBF doesn't hit hard enough (it took him 10 rounds to finish Hatton, and he couldn't finish ODLH, pacquiao destroyed both men), and Manny just has to weather the short jabs and get inside close enough to walk PBF down to the ropes. But make no mistake PBF is a very dangerous fight, not that he can hurt manny, but PBF has a very real chance at winning this. We're talking about a fighter who's content to land 1 punch per round and run to a decision victory, he certainly has that option.

Edited by Larry

What a performance by Pacman! :thumbsupsmiley:

This is probably the best Pacman fight I have ever seen. Although I think that Manny's defense was a little off, I think we should also give credit to Miguel Cotto's boxing skill and heart for giving the fans a great fight with Manny. Miguel Cotto is a great boxer but Manny Pacquiao is greater and smarter.

If ever a Gayweather-Pacquiao match will push through next year then I advice Manny to avoid touching his trunks while inside the ring. Gayweather is an intelligent boxer and will see Manny's mannerism as an opportunity to make an accurate punch to Manny's face.

Congratulations to the People's Champ Manny Pacquiao. :thumbsupsmiley:

If ever a Gayweather-Pacquiao match will push through next year then I advice Manny to avoid touching his trunks while inside the ring. Gayweather is an intelligent boxer and will see Manny's mannerism as an opportunity to make an accurate punch to Manny's face.

Congratulations to the People's Champ Manny Pacquiao. :thumbsupsmiley:

i noticed that too. i initially thought this is a dangerous habit that he should avoid esp if his opponent is a fast boxer like him.

but on second thought, manny's footwork is fast and maybe he can elude lightning punches from anyone esp Floyd.

From HBO Boxing site

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs088.snc3/15539_171491756403_617081403_2927742_4852576_n.jpg

Nice one!

If Mayweather ducks the Pacman, then an 8th title in 8 Weight Division is 90% in the bag against the undefeated but light hitting champion Yuri Foreman

Edited by jerzz

May excuse na aman si 'the-ever-almighty cocky' GAYweather jr

"If I beat Manny Pacquaio do you know what they are going to say? 'You are supposed to beat him, you are Floyd Mayweather, you are the bigger man'. If I knock him out they'll say 'you're supposed to knock him out he's been knocked out before'.

"I'm in a no-win situation and when I beat him no one is going to be surprised because he's been beaten before; whatever I do to Pacquaio has been done before - he's been beaten on three occasions. And if I knock him out I don't want the world shouting because he's been knocked out twice before."

If the fight goes ahead it is expected to challenge the mark set by Oscar De La Hoya's bout with Floyd Mayweather for the most profitable in history.

Money generated from pay-per-view subscriptions earned the two fighters an estimated combined total of $77 million in 2007.

Mayweather, whose nickname is "Money," said: "If I go out and make $60-75 million in one night; come on - I'm not losing."

Nice one!

If Mayweather ducks the Pacman, then an 8th title in 8 Weight Division is 90% in the bag against the undefeated but light hitting champion Yuri Foreman

but in a post fight interview, pacman said that the welterweight division would be his last. 154 lbs is already too heavy for him. he's got nothing to prove anymore anyway.

may pwesto pa ba si mayweather jr?

sa tingin ko after the pacman-floyd fight, same picture pa rin kasi si gayweather nagjojogging na palabas ng ring hehehe. he'll do nothing but run and run. he might as well run out of the ring.

come to think of it. this is the people want to see. but will it be an exciting match kung puro ilag at sayaw lang ang gagawin ni gayweather?

has there been a fight already when gayweather slugged it out with his opponent.

the one thing that's good about this Firepower match bet pacman and cotto is that they made the fight interesting. both are warriors and were willing to fight toe to toe except for the later rounds when cotto started running away.

e baka sa 1st round pa lang, papagurin na ni gayweather si manny. puro takbo lang ng takbo tapos pag makakalusot susuntok.

so it will be a big letdown if the highly anticipated match of the decade will turn out to be a boring fight all because of gayweather's style.

hehe! napanuod ko yan kagabi. ang sabi ni attorney: "(sa laban kahapaon) manny was all over cotto, like a sauce in a spaghetti."

yun ang analysis! take some pointer, chino trinidad, the best pound-for-pound commentator *kuno*

:lol:

" he (manny) was the sauce on the spagetti (cotto)...pag dating ng 12th round, luto na." : boxing analyst ed tolentino in describing how

pacman gobbled up cotto :goatee:

I like Chino. Pero medyo natawa ako nung comment niya ng round 3 na "This will be a hard round to score", because Cotto fought back late in the round. Lintek, it's a 1 knockdown round, a 10-8 round for PACMAN. Kahit ano pang suntok ang binawi ni Cotto, kung hindi nya mapatumba si Pacman, 10-8 pa rin.

Pacquiao’s amazing run continues

Kevin Iole

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports Nov 15, 3:10 am EST

"LAS VEGAS – The History Channel was among the many sponsors of the Manny Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto fight Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, which, in an odd sort of way, was appropriate.

Pacquiao made history on Saturday when he battered Miguel Cotto over 11-plus brutal rounds, winning the World Boxing Organization welterweight title in one of the finest performances of a brilliant career.

Pacquiao dropped Cotto in the third and fourth rounds, landed 43 percent of his punches and mercifully stopped the game Puerto Rican 55 seconds into the final round when referee Kenny Bayless jumped in to save Cotto.

Cotto’s trainer, Joe Santiago, ought to be flogged for not stopping it sooner. Cotto never recovered after the second knockdown, which came in the fourth round, and spent most of the final seven-plus rounds trying to fend off a man who was far too fast, far too slick and far too talented.

Pacquiao’s performance was so good that no one laughed when promoter Bob Arum said he believes Pacquiao is the best fighter he ever saw. And yes, Arum included Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvelous Marvin Hagler in that group.

The pay-per-view numbers were tracking exceptionally well, also. HBO’s Mark Taffet said indications on Friday were that the show is tracking to do at least 1 million buys. Taffet is notoriously conservative, but the fight is likely to zoom well past 1 million and may approach – or even exceed – 1.5 million sales.

HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg said that Golden Boy Promotions chief executive officer Richard Schaefer plans to call Arum on Monday in order to start negotiations on a Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. bout that would be the richest in the sport’s history.

There’s little question that promoters are going to be under intense public pressure to make a match between Pacquiao and Mayweather, the two men with a claim to the mythical title of pound-for-pound champion.

Mayweather’s grip weakened significantly on Saturday after Pacquiao’s stellar performance, and it may weaken more if the pay-per-view results come in well above 1 million.

Arum wasn’t so eager to take Schaefer’s call, at least not on Monday. Given preliminary pay-per-view figures are due on Tuesday, Arum prefers to wait. Mayweather’s victory over Juan Manuel Marquez in September sold 1 million on pay-per-view. “Tell Richard to wait until Wednesday to call me,” Arum said.

Pacquiao’s speed was the most obvious difference between the men, though it was hardly the only one. Pacquiao was once a one-dimensional, one-handed fighter with plenty of holes defensively.

On Saturday, Cotto faced a two-fisted fighter who was in command every second of the fight. His defense was tight, his ring generalship magnificent and his power was overwhelming.

“He’s the best boxer I ever fought,” Cotto said in the understatement of the night. Pacquiao was typically humble, refusing to compare himself to the legends of the game that Arum said he has surpassed.

“I just think I’m an ordinary fighter,” Pacquiao said. “When I fight a good fighter, sometimes I can beat him.”

Hearing that, his trainer, Freddie Roach, chided him.

“You’re not ordinary,” Roach said.

Pacquiao, who has taken to calling Roach his “boxing master,” beamed.

“Sorry, Master,” he replied.

It was probably the only thing he had to apologize about. Roach said Pacquiao didn’t stick to the game plan in the first two rounds, backing to the ropes, a style that Cotto clearly preferred.

Roach urged him to get off the ropes. Once he did, it was no contest.

“Manny Pacquiao is just unbelievable,” Roach said. “The first couple of rounds, I was a little bit worried, because he didn’t follow the plan. Toward the end of the second round, he got into the program and he made it look easy after that.”

Pacquiao was so good on Saturday, he was singing at the post-fight news conference and planned to head across the street to Mandalay Bay to sing eight songs in a concert.

The song he played in the ring was as good as anything that has been heard in a long time. He debunked many popular theories and took many of Mayweather’s arguments away from him.

If Mayweather doesn’t take the fight, he’ll simply be running.

There’s no other way to put it.

“Manny can punch with any 147-pounder in the world,” Roach said. “He has great power and speed. He proved everything tonight.”

Pacquiao has now claimed sanctioning body titles at flyweight, super bantamweight, super featherweight, lightweight and welterweight and he won the linear championship at both featherweight and super lightweight.

There’s little the man can’t do. And Roach, who began training Pacquiao in 2001, wasn’t about to disagree much with Arum’s assessment of Pacquiao’s greatness.

“He’s as good as anybody,” Roach said. “He’s the greatest fighter of his generation. I agree 100 percent.”

As good as Mayweather was in September in dismantling Marquez, Pacquiao was that much better. Pacquiao fought a bigger, stronger and better man and beat him into submission.

A clash between Mayweather and Pacquiao would be one of those epic battles that come only once every 25 years or so.

And while it once seemed inconceivable that Pacquiao could ever deal with Mayweather’s speed and defensive prowess, it isn’t any more.

Anyone who doubts the guy now is a fool."

Edited by Fusarium_jimini

Cotto mentioned he couldnt see Pacquiao's punches...

sabi naman ni dela Hoya dun sa fight nya with Manny he felt he was fighting with 20 guys!!!

except for hatton who didnt get much chance to see flying fists technique ni paquiao hahaha...

for floyd,jr. just accept the fight for crying out loud, let see how good your defense is.

:goatee: