PacMan's Corner

menime

^^Saan yang boxingtalk?

I think I saw that Sandy Sandler fight eons ago. Grade school pa yata ako. They had this boxing show on channel 7 that showed classics. Elorde was fighting for the Lightweght title and was actually leading the fight when he had to stop because of cuts. Sobrang gulang kasi nyang si Sandler, parang si Agapito Sanchez. D' Flash fought him twice and both fights ended in the same manner. These fights were a few years before Elorde became a jr. lightweight champ as the boxing bodies only later introduced the titles to the broken weight sizes.

^^Saan yang boxingtalk?

I think I saw that Sandy Sandler fight eons ago. Grade school pa yata ako. They had this boxing show on channel 7 that showed classics.  Elorde was fighting for the Lightweght title and was actually leading the fight when he had to stop because of cuts.  Sobrang gulang kasi nyang si Sandler, parang si Agapito Sanchez.  D' Flash fought him twice and both fights ended in the same manner.  These fights were a few years before Elorde became a jr. lightweight champ as the boxing bodies only later introduced the titles to the broken weight sizes.

boxingtalk.com. Merong classics section dun sa message board, dami ko natutunan. I don't know if it is permitted here, pero try ko lang.

http://boxingtalk.com/

About Sandy Saddler, I thought Elorde won the first bout. :wacko:

But you're right, the second bout had Flash leading before the stoppage(on cuts). Eh sobrang dumi ni saddler, kinakaskas yung inside of the gloves, yung ulo nya, pati na yata kilikili. :angry: May article nga sa Ring Magazine tungkol dyan, dapat daw disqualified si Saddler dahil garapal yung fouls nya.

^^Tama ka nga. Natalo si Saddler sa first fight pero non-title fight. Sa Manila pa ginawa yung laban. However, Elorde gave a good account of himself to earn a legit shot at Saddler's featherweight crown. Di pala lightweight title. He lost on a 13th round stoppage due to cuts while leading in the cards. Iba pa ang rules noon, kung ngayon nangyari yan, panalo sana si Elorde. It was also Saddler's last title defense. I mixed him up with the great Carlos Ortiz, who Elorde fought twice for the former's lightweight title. D' Flash lost on stoppage in the 14th round of both fights.

^^Tama ka nga. Natalo si Saddler sa first fight pero non-title fight. Sa Manila pa ginawa yung laban. However, Elorde gave a good account of himself to earn a legit shot at  Saddler's featherweight crown. Di pala lightweight title. He lost on a 13th round stoppage due to cuts while leading in the cards. Iba pa ang rules noon, kung ngayon nangyari yan, panalo sana si Elorde. It was also Saddler's last title defense. I mixed him up with the great Carlos Ortiz, who Elorde fought twice for the former's lightweight title. D' Flash lost on stoppage in the 14th round of both fights.

Yup, Flash lost to the great Carlos Ortiz twice, both by stoppage(cuts ata yung isa). Pero maganda pa rin yung pinakita nya. But Flash beat Ishmael Laguna, who I beleive ko'd Ortiz once. Maganda yung resume ni Flash, and most consider him the best Fil Boxer(kasama si Pancho Villa).

How do you think a PAC-JMM rematch turn-out?

:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's more motivation for Pac Man to take care of Morales convincingly in their next fight: a chance to let Marco Barrera eat his words and another chance to give the Mexican loudmouth a bitch slapping. Heck, Morales should just lose this one on purpose just to have someone beat the s**t out of Barrera as he will always have a hard time winning over Barrera. He just losses his wits when he's in the ring with Marco and just brawls.

Barrera picks Morales over Pacquiao

The Philippine Star 12/09/2005

Marco Antonio Barrera, the Mexican legend who beat arch rival Erik Morales in the trilogy of their classic duel but whom Manny Pacquiao demolished to gain worldwide recognition a couple of years ago, has picked Morales over the Filipino boxing icon when the two clash in a rematch on Jan. 21 in Las Vegas.

"Morales will dominate in an easy fight," said Barrera in an interview with popular boxing website SecondsOut.

Barrera downplayed Morales’ listless 12-round loss to unheralded Zahir Raheem in September, saying his compatriot was not motivated and did not train hard aside from fighting too heavy (weighing in as a lightweight).

But Pacquiao, who stopped Hector Velazquez in the fifth round in the undercard of the Morales-Raheem fight, remains unfazed.

"It will be a different outcome this time. There will be no let-up," Pacquiao said in Filipino before he departed for the US to resume his training under renowned trainer Freddie Roach for the keenly-awaited fight dubbed "The Battle" at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Meanwhile, Barrera said he is looking forward to fight the winner of the Morales-Pacquiao rematch midway next year.

"I want to fight the winner of (next month’s fight) and I think that will be Morales," said Barrera.

This developed as Morales, now training at the Queretaro in Mexico, announced that Jose Luis "Maestro" Lopez Sr will replace his father Jose Morales as the chief tactician for the Pacquiao return showdown.

The Durango, Mexico native Lopez, himself a former boxer who now manages his son, is highly respected for having steered him to the world championship.

"We are already working together and he helps me to work with the mitts," said Morales, who is now on the third week of training in the Querétaro, in an interview with Box-Latino.

The three-time world champion also divulged that his camp is already complete with the arrival of sparring partners Manuel "Pirri" Leyva and Mauro "Betillo" Gutiérrez III in addition to Osvaldo Alvarado, Jorge Quezada, Francisco Nava and Refugio Tiscareño. The group’s physician is Dr. Mario Sanchez.

Yup, Flash lost to the great Carlos Ortiz twice, both by stoppage(cuts ata yung isa). Pero maganda pa rin yung pinakita nya. But Flash beat Ishmael Laguna, who I beleive ko'd Ortiz once. Maganda yung resume ni Flash, and most consider him the best Fil Boxer(kasama si Pancho Villa).

How do you think a PAC-JMM rematch turn-out?

A JMM rematch is not a good fight for Pacquiao for two reasons: first, it's not a big money fight and second, JMM's style exposes Pacquiao's weaknesses and negates his strengths.

JMM is a classic counterpuncher and is a very busy boxer in the ring. He would have made a great amateur boxer. Pacquia must bring his game to be able to move with JMM to set up his kiler punches. If he allows JMM to dance around him, JMM will dictate the tempo of the fight. JMM will not hurt Pacquiao but he will look to be in control.

I have never seen the great Flash in action but the stories that regaled me from an older generation of boxing fans spoke of a great champion that inspired a nation and electrified the world. Very similar to the magic that Pacquiao wields today.

Guest Inquisitive
Hmmm.....

Just finished watching again(3rd time) the Pacman-Eric bout. Two things I noticed, first, Manny kept moving straight backwards everytime Eric gets aggressive. Not much side stepping. Second, Manny would stop after his offensive, giving Eric time to counterpunch. Two things to improve on.

:thumbsupsmiley:

I agree. What Manny lacks is side stepping which has been evident in his career. Even during his fight with Barrera, Manny did not side step or turn to his right or left, he just went head on.

Manny has always been an in your face fighter all his life, it's what our local boxing pundits call a "fighter." However, that will not work against Morales because not only is he willing to go to war but he's very crafty too.

If Manny will change strategies and box more instead of trying to brawl too much, then he can beat Morales.

Now they got him pissed! I hope Pacquiao can turn all this energy into good training and come up with the best fight of his life.

-------------------------------------------

Pacquiao: I bet my life I’ll win

The Philippine Star 12/13/2005

There will be no birthday or Christmas celebrations for Manny Pacquiao. Only an honest-to-goodness training for what could be the defining moment of his boxing career.

Pacquiao has stepped up his preparations for his keenly-awaited rematch with former three-time world champion Erik Morales on Jan. 21 at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas, vowing to avenge his loss to the Mexican fighter early this year.

Although the Filipino southpaw has recovered from that bitter defeat with a sweet victory over Hector Velazquez last September, the setback to Morales still hounds Pacquiao to this day.

In fact, he took exception to the latest tirades of his rival’s camp, telling his trainer Freddie Roach and promoter Gary Shaw "not to make excuses for his loss (to Morales) last March 19" and for Pacquiao to "accept defeat like a man."

"I am angry over what they said. I admit I lost," said Pacquiao in an interview with Viva Sports.

However, Pacquiao said it was not the same Manny Pacquiao when he fought Morales the first time, adding: "I was not one 100 percent. I took him lightly. I need to change some things."

This time around, Pacquiao said he will have no distractions and will not celebrate his birthday on Dec. 17 or even Christmas, saying "I want to have a total celebration on Jan. 21" after the fight with Morales.

"I will bet my life that I will win," Pacquiao said.

Told that the Las Vegas odds had him as a favorite, Pacquiao shrugged it off, saying: "I don’t worry about the odds. I’m just focused on the fight. I trained for two weeks in Cebu but this (Wild Card gym in LA) is where my heavy training is. I will not predict in which round he will fall. But I will do all I can in the ring, knockout or not."

Team Pacquiao had repeatedly claimed that distractions outside the ring cost Pacquiao the fight, including the quarrel over the gloves, ticket allocations, room assignments and a bitter difference with former promoter Murad Muhammad. This angered the Morales camp, which claimed Morales beat Pacquiao the first time and he will do it again.

That's all good--but why does JMM keep on offering excuses not to fight Pacquiao if he can supposedly expose Manny's weaknesses?

Blind Mexican pride. He thinks too much of himself. He wants to make as much money as Pacquiao. He's good but people won't pay money just to watch him beat the living daylights out of the contenders in the Featherweight division. He's a bad match up for traditional pro boxers and he always shows up fit and fully trained. Plus he has a masterful corner. That's why he's being avoided like the plague by most contenders. No upside. You just risk losing future big money fights by bludgeoned silly by JMM. That's why I tip my hat to the Pacman as he probably has the biggest balls in the lower weight classes or just plain crazy by fighting anybody who's name and game enough to dance with him or both. At the end of the day, Pacman is the one with the rep*tation and the big money draw. Probably his take on all worthy comers attitude does make sense.

Right now JMM thinks that he deserves equal billing and equal pay with Manny just based on his skill and the way he handled Manny during their first fight. It doesn't work that way. Manny is the big draw and JMM must learn to play the fight game if he wants to earn his millions. Regardless of the result, as long as he doesn't get laid out like a cheap suit, JMM will come out of that fight with Manny with better big money fight prospects. At the very least, he could get a trilogy with Pacquiao, a third fight worth millions for both of them. I'll say that the smart money is for JMM is to lose to Pacquiao and lower his level of invincibility a bit to entice other big money bouts to come to his table. A fight with Pacquiao will have trmendous benefits for JMM's career. He's a fool to avoid Manny while Manny is still hot property. He should be thankful Pacman even wants to risk it in the ring with him unlike all the yellow bellies in the featherweight/jr. lightweight divisions.

That's all good--but why does JMM keep on offering excuses not to fight Pacquiao if he can supposedly expose Manny's weaknesses?

Blind Mexican pride. He thinks too much of himself. He immediately wants to make as much money as Pacquiao. He's good but people won't pay money just to watch him beat the living daylights out of the contenders in the Featherweight division. He's a bad match up for traditional pro boxers and he always shows up fit and fully trained. Plus he has a masterful corner. That's why he's being avoided like the plague by most contenders. No upside. You just risk losing future big money fights by being bludgeoned silly by JMM. That's why I tip my hat off to the Pacman as he probably has the biggest balls in the lower weight classes or just plain crazy by fighting anybody who's name and game enough to dance with him or both. But at the end of the day, Pacman is the one with the rep*tation and the big money draw. Probably his take on all worthy comers attitude does make sense.

Right now JMM thinks that he deserves equal billing and equal pay with Manny just based on his skill and the way he handled Manny during their first fight. It doesn't work that way. Manny is the big draw and JMM must learn to play the fight game if he wants to earn his millions. Regardless of the result, as long as he doesn't get laid out like a cheap suit, JMM will come out of that fight with Manny with better big money fight prospects. At the very least, he could get a trilogy with Pacquiao, a third fight worth millions for both of them. I'll even say that the smart money for JMM is to lose to Pacquiao and lower his level of invincibility a bit to entice other big money bouts to come to his table. A fight with Pacquiao will have tremendous benefits for JMM's career. He's a fool to avoid Manny while Manny is still hot property. He should be thankful Pacman even wants to risk it in the ring with him unlike all the other yellow bellies in the featherweight/jr. lightweight divisions.

Barrera's not picking Eric to win, he's hoping Morales would win so he would not fight Manny again.

Here's more motivation for Pac Man to take care of Morales convincingly in their next fight: a chance to let Marco Barrera eat his words and another chance to give the Mexican loudmouth a bitch slapping.  Heck, Morales should just lose this one on purpose just to have someone beat the s**t out of Barrera as he will always have a hard time winning over Barrera.  He just losses his wits when he's in the ring with Marco and just brawls.

Barrera picks Morales over Pacquiao

The Philippine Star 12/09/2005

Marco Antonio Barrera, the Mexican legend who beat arch rival Erik Morales in the trilogy of their classic duel but whom Manny Pacquiao demolished to gain worldwide recognition a couple of years ago, has picked Morales over the Filipino boxing icon when the two clash in a rematch on Jan. 21 in Las Vegas.

"Morales will dominate in an easy fight," said Barrera in an interview with popular boxing website SecondsOut.

Barrera downplayed Morales’ listless 12-round loss to unheralded Zahir Raheem in September, saying his compatriot was not motivated and did not train hard aside from fighting too heavy (weighing in as a lightweight).

But Pacquiao, who stopped Hector Velazquez in the fifth round in the undercard of the Morales-Raheem fight, remains unfazed.

"It will be a different outcome this time. There will be no let-up," Pacquiao said in Filipino before he departed for the US to resume his training under renowned trainer Freddie Roach for the keenly-awaited fight dubbed "The Battle" at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Meanwhile, Barrera said he is looking forward to fight the winner of the Morales-Pacquiao rematch midway next year.

"I want to fight the winner of (next month’s fight) and I think that will be Morales," said Barrera.

This developed as Morales, now training at the Queretaro in Mexico, announced that Jose Luis "Maestro" Lopez Sr will replace his father Jose Morales as the chief tactician for the Pacquiao return showdown.

The Durango, Mexico native Lopez, himself a former boxer who now manages his son, is highly respected for having steered him to the world championship.

"We are already working together and he helps me to work with the mitts," said Morales, who is now on the third week of training in the Querétaro, in an interview with Box-Latino.

The three-time world champion also divulged that his camp is already complete with the arrival of sparring partners Manuel "Pirri" Leyva and Mauro "Betillo" Gutiérrez III in addition to Osvaldo Alvarado, Jorge Quezada, Francisco Nava and Refugio Tiscareño. The group’s physician is Dr. Mario Sanchez.

• 2 weeks later...

Expert picks Manny by close decision

By Joaquin Henson

The Philippine Star 12/24/2005

Boxing scholar and soothsayer Graham Houston has picked Manny Pacquiao to beat Erik Morales by a close decision in their epic 12-round showdown, called "The Battle," at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas on Jan. 21.

Houston, writing in his "Previews" column in the Dec. 10 issue of Professional Boxing Update, said all the ingredients are in place for another closely fought and exciting fight but "after weighing it all up, I am leaning just a little towards Pacquiao to win this time (because) I have a feeling he can make the adjustments that are necessary and be a little more consistent with just enough improvement to edge the decision."

However, Houston admitted "this is one of those fights where guesswork comes into play when we try to pick a winner."

In their first meeting last March, Morales pounded out a unanimous 12-round decision on identical scores of 115-113 in the three judges’ cards. But Pacquiao was handicapped by a cut over the right eye starting the fifth round and bothered by off-the-ring distractions. The cut was opened by an accidental headbutt. Morales was not penalized for inflicting the wound by referee Joe Cortez.

Houston pointed out that despite the obstacles, Pacquiao mounted a blistering attack in the last round and nearly decked Morales "but it came too late."

Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach said because of the cut, the Filipino deviated from his gameplan of banging the body and tried too hard to land big shots upstairs. There was a sense of urgency in Pacquiao’s change in tactics as blood spewed out from his gash.

But Houston said Roach expects a more focused, more disciplined fight from Pacquiao in the rematch.

As for Morales, Houston said the Mexican is out for redemption after losing to Zahir Raheem last September. "With his great pride and the feeling that honor is at stake, I think Morales will be very hard to beat," said Houston. "One thing that concerns me about Morales is that he might be showing wear and tear at the age of 29. Pacquiao has a fresher look."

Houston said Pacquiao’s vaunted power won’t be a factor because Morales can take his best shots.

"Pacquiao is perceived as the bigger puncher and in his last fight, the sixth-round destruction of solid journeyman Hector Velazquez, he was punching with both hands, not just loading up on the big lefts from his southpaw stance and in fact, it was a right hook that had Velazquez going in round six," wrote Houston. "But that was against Velazquez. It will not be so easy to look dominant against Morales."

Houston said Morales has as much chance of hurting Pacquiao as the other way around.

"The punching power aspect seems to balance out," continued Houston. "Morales seems the naturally bigger man and he has the height and reach advantages but Pacquiao, once a flyweight, looked more physically imposing at the weigh-in for the last fight. Pacquiao has the speed advantage but Morales seems the better boxer in the purely technical sense."

Both fighters are now deep in training. Pacquiao is working out at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles while Morales is training in Queretaro, some 90 miles north of Mexico City.

Morales has trained almost exclusively in the Otomi Mountains for his fights in the last eight years but shifted to Queretaro because of the snowy conditions in the high-altitude terrain.

Top Rank publicist Ricardo Jimenez said the wintry weather in Queretaro is more bearable than at the Otomi where the rain and cold would be a hindrance to his preparations. Morales made another major change in training for Pacquiao. He fired his own father Jose and hired Jose Luis (Maestro) Lopez to supervise his training. His father was blamed for the loss to Raheem.

PACMAN

Guest Inquisitive

If Manny does not change his game plan, his goose is cooked! He can't rely on his hand speed and power to take out Morales because it will take more than a jab straight combination to beat El Terrible. Manny has to learn to move from side to side and he must know how to pivot especially when being attacked. The last time they tangled, Manny didn't know what to do when Morales was pummeling him, he kept on turning his back. Hence, he would have to box (and not brawl), be patient and most of all be scientific if he wants to defeat Morales.

being a boxer can be learned, can be adopted as a skill given enough time and training, but in being a brawler, you just have it, that brute, raw power punching strike that manny has. You guys are right, he HAS TO BE A BOXER when he face a boxer. and we know manny's camp knows this too, much better than us. that's why we have to expect a bit diferent manny pacman this coming fight: wiser, more scientific, precise, (that's why their camp is so busy yet so quiet and very focused, looks like they are cooking sumthing different, i suspect). when the crucial later part of the fight comes into close, the point where your heart has to be a lot bigger than your fist, then you can count on manny being the pacman as what we all know: that son-of-a-bitch speed and power puncher.