PacMan's Corner

menime

let us just accept that pacquiao was defeated by morales....eventhuogh pacquiao lost to morales we should be proud op him coz he fight all the way...he was not knockdown by morales...i know manny will fight him again as soon as possoble..rematch s d solution...go pacquiao..go pinoy

well i dun thinks he's careless. with all the facotrs against him...hard fight to win against...thicker gloves,can only see with one eye..it's the best manny can do is keep on charging hoping he can land the big left...i dun blame him for doing that....GREAT FIGHT THOUGH IT'S ONLY 2 POINTS MORALES....U GOT LUCKY.....!!!!!!

GOOOOOOO PINOYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MANNY URE A HERO WIN OR LOSE

other than the things already mentioned ...

i think manny can't handle popularity. it gets into his head and thinks that the fight is just formality. then when he realizes it, its too hard to reorganize his thoughts, and then he losses his concentration. confused like, ... "what's happening? i'm suppose to win here right?"

he doesnt look very determined compared to his fight with barrera. his punches are rock solid.

i guess, he wasnt mentally prepared like morales. morales had his plan in his head clear, he did it well. after all, its boxing... so... he boxed his way to victory.

i believe manny will have to think and bounce back from this frustrating defeat. learn from it and move forward. a rematch is possible.

we have a confusing boxing story now:

1. pacquiao def barrera

2. pacquiao draw marquez

3. barrera def morales

4. morales def pacquiao

(pac > bar) and (pac = mar) and (bar > mor) and (mor > pac)

who's the best now?????? :)

Manny is still the most popular despite of the lost. got it from tigerboxing.com

IS PACQUIAO THE LEADER OF THE PACK?

Matthew Sanderson

03/16/2005 - United Kingdom

Not since the late ‘70s to the early ‘80s have we seen so many outstanding combatants gathered together in the 122-130 pound region.

Salvador Sanchez, Wilfredo Gomez, Carlos Zarate, Azumah Nelson, Lupe Pintor. The list goes on.

Classic fights such as Salvador Sanchez v Azumah Nelson, Wilfredo Gomez against Lupe Pintor, and Danny Lopez v Mike Ayala resulted, and can never be replaced.

But already, the Barrera-Morales trilogy, the first Brodie-Chi fight and the Marquez-Pacquiao draw have more than lived up to them. The excitement won’t stop there, however, not when Manny Pacquiao and Erik Morales step up to face one another, in what should be the most dangerous fight of both men’s careers.

Morales, Marquez, Barrera and Pacquiao are a formidable line up. But is Manny Pacquiao the leader of the pack?

While his distinguished contemporaries are Mexican, Pacquiao is from the Philippines. And whereas the Mexican legends (OK, Marquez hasn’t got that far yet) have exhibited silky skills to refine their violence, Manny is raw aggression personified. This has made him the most popular current boxer in the world.

His endless stamina, combined with his formidable hand speed and perpetual two-fisted attacks, distinguishes him from the pack. Pacquiao, indeed, reminds one of the great Thai fighters of the 1980s, such as Sot Chitalada and Khaosai Galaxy who secured their legacies in the lower weight classes with similar styles.

It is a relentless style that forces opponents out of a comfortable pace, and can cause even the best to cave in. What makes “Pac Man” even more of a handful is his tendency to throw needle sharp combinations, from unexpected angles out of the southpaw stance. It is a difficult style to deal with, and has carried Manny to early success.

Pacquiao won the WBC flyweight belt from Chartchai Sasakul in 1998 at the age of 20 and made one successful defence. Manny then lost his belt on the scales, and was stopped in three by Medgoen Singsurat before moving up three divisions (seven pounds) to super bantamweight.

Moving up a few pounds might not seem like much, but it can be a huge factor in the lower weight classes. It is a factor that can decide the outcome of evenly matched fights, and is at least partly responsible for 118 pounder Lupe Pintor’s cave in against Wilfredo Gomez back in 1982 at super bantamweight and Gomez’ thrashing at the hands of featherweight Salvador Sanchez a year earlier.

Pacquiao’s power, so crucial to his aggressive style, remarkably moved up with him. After stopping Reynante Jamili in two for the WBC International belt, he made five defences of his lightly regarded title before stopping Lehlohonolo Ledwaba in 2001 for the IBF’s more legitimate super bantamweight championship.

The Ledwaba fight was Manny’s first in the States, and he promptly hooked up with distinguished trainer Freddie Roach. Roach added several nuances to the champion’s all out aggressive style, such as lateral movement and combination punching, and prepared him for three more title defences (all by knockout) that took him into 2003 and the biggest fight of his career.

Moving up to featherweight, he was offered a shot at “People’s Champion” Marco Antonio Barrera, a man now acknowledged as one of the all time great Mexicans. Barrera was on a roll; having beaten both Naseem Hamed and Erik Morales in recent fights, but Manny gave him no respect and drew him into a war.

Fighting the best opponent of his entire career, Manny used his superior speed and reflexes to nail his man with rapid combinations before using his quick feet to carry him out of range. It was a clever tactic - every time Pacquiao landed, a frustrated Barrera was unable to come back with counters. Pacquiao repeated the exercise - for 11 whole rounds.

In a massive surprise, Manny dominated throughout. He knocked Barrera back with head jarring combinations, hurt him several times, and knocked him over in the third and eleventh. A battered Marco appeared discouraged throughout, and was feeling very sorry for himself before his corner saved him in round 11.

It was a superlative performance that endeared Manny to the mainstream public and established him as one of the biggest stars and most dangerous fighters in the sport. The momentum of the win carried him straight into another big fight, against WBA/IBF king Juan Manuel Marquez; a friend of Barrera’s who vowed revenge.

Marquez was an excellent fighter and had been the number 1 contender for Naseem Hamed’s WBO title (before Barrera beat him) who avoided his mandatory for a couple of years. Although highly skilled, he always fought off the back foot and many felt that he’d wait too long for Manny to punch and get simply get overwhelmed.

It appeared that way in the opening round, when Pacquiao floored him three times with long left hands. After the third knockdown Marquez looked finished, but he survived the round and went on to give Manny severe problems.

Marquez, if nothing else, is a master counter puncher whose style ultimately adjusted to Manny’s aggression. By the third round he could see Pacquiao’s deadly left coming, and used deft upper body movements to slip the shot before planting hard right hooks to the body and slashing crosses to the face.

Manny’s pressure tactics were then thwarted throughout. Frustrated, he abandoned his busy style and combinations and gave Marquez too much time to think. The Mexican boxed brilliantly throughout the middle stages. A late Pacquiao rally earned the draw, but it should have been a devastating knockout win.

Every style has a weakness and “Pac Man’s” flaws became magnified. Like many aggressive types, he is vulnerable to smart boxers. When his aggressive rhythm is messed with, he has difficulty adjusting. And when he throws single shots rather than combinations, he is vulnerable to counters.

In spite of this, Manny has claimed that certain factors prevented him from “showing up”. In the first round he claimed to have injured his left hand, which he was unable to use effectively afterward, and suffered painful blisters in his feet that prevented him from cutting off the ring properly.

One of the key problems of that fight was Pacquiao’s decision to throw only one punch at a time - perhaps because he hurt his hand, or maybe that he had Marquez down early and often.

Despite being a puncher, he can’t just go looking for the one big shot, but needs the more reliable route of throwing combinations. This has been addressed in Manny’s preparation, which his trainer Freddie Roach has been keen to focus on.

As such, one hopes to see Manny at his devastating best against Morales, a fierce warrior who nonetheless has never been difficult to hit

Pacman the aggresive-type pucher/slugger usually will have trouble with smart boxers like morales,marquez and barrera. its good thing naunahan nya si barrera dati kaya nanalo sya. but if based on pure speed and power and brutal aggression, pacquiao will definitely make these mexicans eat lots of rubber and will look like an old rotten punching bags. sna mapagaralan na rin ni pacquiao ang maging smart boxer and not totally rely on his brute power.

pacquiao,ya isa lang sa mga sikat na pilipino boxer, sa ngayon cya ang pinakasikat,pacquiao is a good fighter but because of his high/too much ambition he was lost to morales..pro ok lang yong charge as experience nalang yon ni pacquiao, bawi nalang cya sa rematch...

if pac can help, he should fix the backroom issues behind his back. Trainer Fred Roach and Murad Muhammad had been on open rift and throw word war against each other and nasa iisang camp lang sila. pati sa camp ni manny pinopolitika siya. that made me believe that the issue about the gloves are real unlike the socks in the darlington commercial.

Edited by kanto-terrorist

parang hindi si pacquiao yung kalaban ni morales. hindi agresibo. mukang mahina ang mga suntok. preparasyon ang problema. sa dami ng intriga bago ang laban, nakasama talaga sa performance ni manny. magaling talaga kung sa magaling si eric pero hindi talaga naipakita ni manny ang laro niya.

From the news this morning pumayag na daw 'yung side ni Morales for a Rematch sometime this September. But what if matalo ulit si Pacquiao? Matatahimik na kaya 'yung mga pilipino na hindi marunong tumanggap ng pagkatalo? :goatee:

Hats off ako kay Morales kung talagang bibigyan niya ng rematch si Pacquiao... I mean you don't have to beat somebody twice in a row just to prove you're the better boxer di ba? If he says ok for a rematch bilib ako sa confidence niya... that should be considered by Manny as well.

morales is a scientific boxer while Manny is a slugger, the systematic one prevailed over the slugger in this match..kita naman natin basag mukha ni Manny whereas walang galos sa mukha si morales. Saka we can see na kaya ni morales ang ibinibigay sa kanya ni Manny, what i admir about Manny is that hindi siya nag-give up while what i admire about the camp of morales is that they've studied the style of Manny very well. This is a lesson learned for the camp of Manny, it teaches them that politicking within their ranks may have cost them the fight....

Guest uglykid

hello fellow boxing fans and friends :)

I don't want to sound like a smart-ass but I think Manny should add more to his repertoire and not be a one-dimensional fighter :)

I believe that he is very much talented and brave, but boxing is a "sweet science" and brute strength and speed will only take you to a certain point. Manny is more of a slugger/fighter and I believe that once he becomes a "boxer" then he'd be very hard to beat.

anyway, this is just my humble opinion and I could be wrong.

Mabuhay si Manny! Mabuhay ang Pilipinas! :)

Pacquiao a bigger loser -- to Murad

Posted 01:42am (Mla time) Mar 24, 2005

By Salven L. Lagumbay

Inquirer News Service

BEFORE losing by unanimous decision to Mexican Erik Morales last Sunday, Filipino ring idol Manny Pacquiao was already a bigger loser -- and of all people -- to his US promoter Murad Muhammad.

In an interview several days before the fight, Pacquiao's US trainer Freddie Roach had said Murad, contrary to common practice, will be receiving the pay-per-view (PPV) upside of 40 percent reserved for the General Santos City fighter.

"Before Manny signed his last contract with Murad, Bob Arum called me up and he negotiated this deal with me: It's the exact same pay day we're making now: a guarantee, plus 40 percent of the upside (after the break even of the PPV money). The upside was going 100 percent to Manny. But now the upside is going to Murad Muhammad," Roach said.

Guarantee

Roach also told boxing writer Joe Rein in the same interview that the reigning Ring Magazine featherweight champion was to receive a guarantee of $1.75 million -- the biggest ever purse for Pacquiao.

Now, just days after the monumental fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, the figures are slowly coming out of the woodwork, and they point to Murad getting $2.8 million from Pacquiao's PPV share and the Filipino getting nothing.

Estimates

Roach cited that based on local estimates, the Pacquiao-Morales fight should have snagged some 400,000 pay-per-view buys and at $44.95 per buy, the PPV should amount to $17.98 million.

Meanwhile, Pacquiao, who endured a deep cut over his right eye from a headbutt in the fifth round, was left with only $612,500 (P33,075,000) out of his purse after deducting the taxes and shares of the members of Pacquiao's team.

"Murad may have made more than Manny, for what, he didn't risk his life. That's horrible. This guy makes Don King look like a saint," Roach said.

Taken to task

Roach's assertions seemed to bolster an earlier report that Pacquiao had taken Muhammad to task after it was reported that while Morales was getting 40 percent of the PPV share and Bob Arum 20 percent, it was Muhammad who took the 40 percent which was supposed to go to Pacquiao.

"Well with Murad I think he is one of those guys who don't really care about the fighter more so than the money," Roach said yesterday in an interview.

Roach also rued Muhammad's seeming lack of support for his fighter, saying: "Like the trip to the hospital, myself and Shelley (Finkel) stayed for four hours, while Murad was counting his money in his suite."

Finkel, Pacquiao's new manager, Roach and Manny went to a hospital where doctors suggested a corrective plastic surgery to close the deep cut Pacquiao suffered in the fight.

Roach revealed for the first time, however, that they have underestimated Erik Morales a bit and that the bleeding of Pacquiao's cut did not stop.

Rematch

"No complaints, we lost, he won and we are definitely looking at a rematch in September," he added.

He also assured fans that should a rematch be made, Pacquiao will definitely be wearing his favorite Reyes gloves.

Roach also pointed out that "there was a lot of noise during the Manny fight and it was difficult to get Manny to listen with all the loud speaking and these guys with no knowledge about Manny screaming instructions. All these guys (were) trying to do my job."

Salven L. Lagumbay is a contributor to the Philippine Daily Inquirer

mga promoter nga naman talaga oh! :grr:

• 1 month later...

Pacquaio is a true national hero.

I still watch the fight March 20 fight weeks after it was held.

It makes me so proud that for once the National Anthem was PROUDLY sang infront of the 14,000 in attendance and millions of fans watching around the world. It makes me so proud to see that Pac with his valiant efforts is able to successfully wave the National Flag with intense passion and dignity.

MABUHAY ka Manny.

We are behind you in your next endeavors.

Sue Murad and fck Rod Nazario.

To hell with Ronnie Nathanielsz.

• 2 weeks later...