PacMan's Corner

menime

Madaming magagalit sa akin for saying this. But based on the last fight, Morales seems to have Manny's number. As Manny attacked time and time again, Morales counter-punched Manny to victory. And the quote from Manny saying that "there will be no let-up" this time gives me the impression that the same might happen: su-sugod ng su-sugod si Manny only to have a ready Morales waiting with a perfect foil of counter punches.

Sana totoo ang sinasabi nilang a new Pacquiao will climb into the ring this time. But I'm pessimistic this would happen. He's just to much of a brawler. After the Velasquez fight where Manny was first counter-punched to almost defeat, his camp already said that a new Pacquiao will meet Eric Morales. We all know what happened...So a new Manny NOW? Heard that before.

Come the fight, I really hope and pray that Manny comes out victorious. I really hope he proves me wrong and makes me eat my words. That would make me extremely happy! But I wouldn't put my money on it.

Madaming magagalit sa akin for saying this. But based on the last fight, Morales seems to have Manny's number. As Manny attacked time and time again, Morales counter-punched Manny to victory. And the quote from Manny saying that "there will be no let-up" this time gives me the impression that the same might happen: su-sugod ng su-sugod si Manny only to have a ready Morales waiting with a perfect foil of counter punches.

Sana totoo ang sinasabi nilang a new Pacquiao will climb into the ring this time. But I'm pessimistic this would happen. He's just to much of a brawler. After the Velasquez fight where Manny was first counter-punched to almost defeat, his camp already said that a new Pacquiao will meet Eric Morales. We all know what happened...So a new Manny NOW? Heard that before.

Come the fight, I really hope and pray that Manny comes out victorious. I really hope he proves me wrong and makes me eat my words. That would make me extremely happy! But I wouldn't put my money on it.

but have you ever wondered if the big cut on manny's eyebrow wasn't there???

the cut really bothered manny and to think that he had morales on the ropes in one of the rounds with that big cut over his eye.

whaddya think???

Guest Inquisitive
but have you ever wondered if the big cut on manny's eyebrow wasn't there???

the cut really bothered manny and to think that he had morales on the ropes in one of the rounds with that big cut over his eye.

whaddya think???

That's a good point. However, even if Manny didn't have that cut, Morales would still have beaten him. As they say in boxing styles make fights. The fact is Morales was just the better fighter that night. He brawled, boxed and counterpunched all throughout the fight while Manny stuck to his patented rushing style. A fighter like Morales is just too crafty and intelligent to be beaten by one big punch or a two punch combination.

The biggest factor why Morales defeated Manny was that the former had "superior ring management" skills. Ring management is loosely termed as the ability to control the tempo of the fight, cut the corners of the ring and make the opponent forget his game plan and go out of his comfort zone. Perhaps, Morales learned all of these from fighting the likes Marco Antonio Barrera, Junior Jones, Paulie Ayala, Carlos Hernandez, Kevin Kelley and Guty Espadas.

In order for Manny to win it is imperative that he box more and not brawl. He also has to improve on his defense and learn when to move in and out and not just attack relentlessly. He has to learn to use his jab more effectively and set up Morales for the k*ll. He cannot solely rely on his punching power or speed, he has to be more strategic and be very patient by taking apart Morales round by round. It will be good if he can knockout Morales (and I'm not sure if he has been floored in his carreer) but if he can't, he will have to work hard for a victory which seemingly would come via a decision.

Eric Raskin of The Ring Magazine (which is considered to be as the Bible of Boxing) said that Morales will win via a unanimous decision with a knockdown or two. While I may not be as knowledgeable as Mr. Raskin, I would like to believe otherwise. I am a Pacquaio fan but realistically I know that Manny has his work cut out for him. This may turn out to be his career defining fight. I remember people saying that Manny cannot beat Barrera but the opposite came true. If Manny beats Morales he will solidify his stature as one of boxing's superstars, have a concrete chance of making it to the hall of fame and start his journey in trying to become the Philippines all time best boxer (no disrespect to Flash Elorde).

Changing styles is easier said than done. Particularly if a boxer has been so successful with a particular style. Freddie Roach has beeen working with Manny for quite some time now and although there has been marked improvement in Manny's defense, Manny still swears by his bread and butter style which is to rush and rely on his big punches. I doubt if we will see a different Pacquiao when he steps into the ring with Morales which may be a good thing. Altering your style in such a short period will only make you more tentative. Stick with what you have and improve on it. Manny has a big punch but he must set it up properly. One thing I would like to see Manny surprise El terrible with is a strong jab. If only to properly set up his big left straight. Another thing that Manny can hone is cutting the ring to negate's Morales' movement. Manny must also display exceptional defense both with his hands and with his feet by knowing when to dance away from a Morales counter attack.

I always go with heavy handed stylists in a match up with brawlers but brawlers are just so unpredictable. They can stop the fight with one punch at anytime regardless of the score. The brawlers with even bigger hearts are even harder to stop because they can just be pitbulls kust waiting for a slight opening to land a killer blow. Manny has shown this so many times in the past that it is so hard to bet against him even if the odds are in favor of an opponent who is deemed more superior in terms of pure boxing skill.

That's a good point. However, even if Manny didn't have that cut, Morales would still have beaten him. As they say in boxing styles make fights. The fact is Morales was just the better fighter that night. He  brawled, boxed and counterpunched all throughout the fight while Manny stuck to his patented rushing style. A fighter like Morales is just too crafty and intelligent to be beaten by one big punch or a two punch combination.

The biggest factor why Morales defeated Manny was that the former had "superior ring management" skills. Ring management is loosely termed as the ability to control the tempo of the fight, cut the corners of the ring and make the opponent forget his game plan and go out of his comfort zone. Perhaps, Morales learned all of these from fighting the likes Marco Antonio Barrera, Junior Jones, Paulie Ayala, Carlos Hernandez, Kevin Kelley and Guty Espadas.

In order for Manny to win it is imperative that he box more and not brawl. He also has to improve on his defense and learn when to move in and out and not just attack relentlessly. He has to learn to use his jab more effectively and set up Morales for the k*ll. He cannot solely rely on his punching power or speed, he has to be more strategic and be very patient by taking apart Morales round by round. It will be good if he can knockout Morales (and I'm not sure if he has been floored in his carreer) but if he can't, he will have to work hard for a victory which seemingly would come via a decision.

Eric Raskin of The Ring Magazine (which is considered to be as the Bible of Boxing) said that Morales will win via a unanimous decision with a knockdown or two. While I may not be as knowledgeable as Mr. Raskin, I would like to believe otherwise. I am a Pacquaio fan but realistically I know that Manny has his work cut out for him. This may turn out to be his career defining fight. I remember people saying that Manny cannot beat Barrera but the opposite came true. If Manny beats Morales he will solidify his stature as one of boxing's superstars, have a concrete chance of making it to the hall of fame and start his journey in trying to become the Philippines all time best boxer (no disrespect to Flash Elorde).

how would you say that morales was the better fighter? he was fighting a guy who's using just one eye?the point here is that it would have been a different fight if manny didn't have that nasty cut on his eyebrow.

how would you say that morales was the better fighter? he was fighting a guy who's using just one eye?the point here is that it would have been a different fight if manny didn't  have that nasty cut on his eyebrow.

Morales is definitely the bigger of the two but not necessarily the better. I'm confident that the game plan devised by Freddie Roach will work come Jan 21. I'm hoping for a pacman win!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Just my point-of-view on "making Manny more of a boxer than a brawler" Though sounds promising, but isn't that very un-Manny like? Isn't that the same as saying as "don't be yourself and try to be somebody else?" Manny is known all thoughtout the boxing world as a warrior built to brawl. He aint much of a tactician, but he had gone this far to make this guy "box". Besides, there have been famous brawlers in the past who have shown their spirit; least I mention some - "Hands of Stone" , Panama's great, Roberto Duran; Iron Mike Tyson, Roy Jones, Jr, even the best heavyweight that never was disputed, defeated and went "down" on the top of his game - Rocky Marciano - all were brawlers, but all were dang good. I say that he shouldn't change his style, all he has to do is build on it, innovate, improvise, whilst everybody keeps their fingers crossed and tucks in a prayers that the PacMan pulls this off. Morales, I agree, is a splendid, intelligent, Ring tactician, a true Warrior and evangelist of the game; and Manny has to work triply hard. If he loses, we'd send the dollar back to 56 php again and our country will sink :)

well said bro, but i will have to disagree with you. kung napanood mo last fight ni morales, kung pagbabasehan mo yung last fight ni morales, in which he lost. manny will/should use his jab more. he should play it smart. becuase he has speed advantage over erik morales, he shold use this to his advantage, just as raheem did, and i don't think freddie roach will miss that.

sana nga manalo si pacquaio bro, sana nga mali ka bro. :)

Guest Inquisitive
how would you say that morales was the better fighter? he was fighting a guy who's using just one eye?the point here is that it would have been a different fight if manny didn't  have that nasty cut on his eyebrow.

I concede that it would have been a different fight however with due respect I still believe the outcome would have been the same. Manny did not have an answer to the jab of Morales plus the latter's ring management skills were superb. Manny did not know what to do when Morales was attacking him and there were times that he was turning his back which is a mortal sin in boxing.

Pacquiao's style, if he doesn't adjust even a bit, is ripe for the taking for a boxer of Morales' style. Though, as Brawler201 put it, Manny's deadly punches could really prove to be the big difference. The scary thought here is that Morales has shown that he can absorb the punishment from Pacquiao and dish out his own. Here's to hoping Manny brings a lot more than what he brought last time against Erik... :thumbsupsmiley:

Hoping for a Pacman win..hopefully Pacman, Roach & co. have learned from the 1st fight vs Morales and have made the necessary adjustments..sana Manny will give more time sa training nya & just do his extra-curricular activities (movies, record deals, advertisements, etc) pag wala syang big fights coming up.

co signed!

If the Pacman that will show up on Jan 21 against morales is the same Pacman the show up against Barrera in Nov. 2003.... Morales is in trouble.

Tha fight against Barrera is my choice as the best Pacman fight to date. Manny swed exceptional speed and power and displayed his best defensive fight ever. He was practically unhurtable. Manny also had Barrera's timing and ditance properly measured. Marco regardless of his excuses was Many's bitch. And Barrera will remain as Manny's bitch if and when they have a rematch as he is the perfect opponent for Manny with his brawling style. However, Morales is a different opponent than Barrera. I wouldn't only hope that the Manny of that Barrera fight shows up against Morales, I'm also hoping that Morales' machismo gets pricked and he starts fighting like Barrera, toe to toe. Then Manny will surely send him all the way back to the third grade with his punches.