When boiling pasta, some people put oil, some put salt, some both.

Which is the best way?

good question... i don't put any ... i just make sure that the pasta is al dente and once it is i drain it ASAP... the extra heat in the pasta will cook it further. so to prevent that i serve and eat right away..

molto mario puts salt... but i think that would make the pasta salty and may add alittle too much salt on your sauce when it mixes...

oil... i may consider this... but would rather cook it straight...

hope i shed some light on this subject.

When boiling pasta, some people put oil, some put salt, some both.

Which is the best way?

matter of personal preference. i put both. nakasanayan na lang from what my mom taught me. the salt is to make the water boil faster. the faster the water boils ensures that the pasta turns out al dente. it goes without saying that you put just enough salt without making the pasta salty. the oil is to prevent the pasta from sticking together.

don't take my word for it though. this is just based from what i have learned...

the italian way is to put olive oil after u drain the water out of the pasta noodle

tapos gentle mix

Italian chefs (or chefs who cook Italian) normally put salt in the water. Pinoys either put oil, or salt and oil, as I've observed. But I don't see any difference in the end product. As long as you mix the al dente pasta to the sauce right after draining, you don't even have to rinse the pasta with cold water (to stop the cooking process) or mix in olive oil after draining.

I normally put salt on the water because that's what the Italian chefs do. Hehe. Gaya-gaya lang yan.

Edited by gorgonite
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
i like Fazoli's pastas. good value.

the basic tomato sauce and pesto are good. i also like what they did to the carbonara, adding some fresh tomatoes to the sauce.

eat-all-you can pa ang bread sticks nila. sarap.

fazoli's at sm manila closed within a year or so after opening. i also couldnt see the fazoli's at jupiter. looks like its also closed.

had lunch yesterday at a nearby pasta restaurant - pasta pomodoro

for appetizer:

bruschetta with tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, basil and garlic

entree:

healthy chicken fusilli

it had grilled chicken, zucchini, basil and tomato

came with a choice of side mista salad or cup of minestrone soup

it was pretty good, and inexpensive :)

correct kayo dyan fazolis doesnt serve good itallian food, para sa masa lang yan, not for real itallian food lovers

hmm... kung pang masa edi sana hindi nagsara mga outlets nila. mura lang naman sila e.

pero tama hindi nga authentic italian. american fast-food chain yata ang fazoli's e.

come to think of it, most of the popular italian joints here are not authentic anyway - italliani's, don henrico's, etc.