Books We Loved When We Were Kids

Grimace

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (I think the Tim Burton film with Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka really did justice to the original book, even if the backstory about Willy Wonka having dad issues is kinda forced).

Enid Blyton's Whyteleafe series ...."Naughty Amelia Jane" - gosh, what a title for my impressionable mind back then!!!

• 2 weeks later...

my first book was the pied piper of hamlin tapos the princess and the pea :hypocritesmiley: mejo childrens books hilig ko nung elementary tapos comic books nung HS... now im completing the vampire chronicles by anne rice... very erotic cia magsulat!! :thumbsupsmiley: meron din cia trilogy about the wild side of sleeping beauty... haven't read it yet though. :wacko:

my first book was the pied piper of hamlin tapos the princess and the pea :hypocritesmiley: mejo childrens books hilig ko nung elementary tapos comic books nung HS... now im completing the vampire chronicles by anne rice... very erotic cia magsulat!! :thumbsupsmiley: meron din cia trilogy about the wild side of sleeping beauty... haven't read it yet though. :wacko:

read it... really erotic... but she writes it soo beautifully and almost in a masochistic way... that you'd regret ever reading Erotic I, II, III...

but anyway on to the topic... madami.. Baby Sitters Club, Sweet Valley, Goosebumps, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys....Spawn and Marvel Comics... Grimm Brothers Fairy Tales (yes I read their version when I was in elementary...) and then there's Jane Austen's books (waaa!)... I even read Victoria Holt's and Johanna Lindsey's (talk about corny)... and of course Alice in the Wonderland... it's crazy! in HS... I was on the popular books.. Grisham... Sheldon... Ludlum... Clancy even... and Michael Crichton! then came HP and the LOTR series...

mom used to buy me these "pocket classics", forgot the publisher, but I loved reading them all, Oliver Twist, Ivanhoe, Swiss Family Robinson, Robin Hood...

I also read usual kid fare, Tin Tin comics, Hardy Boys (Frank and Joe were heroes to me, too bad Chet was a closet fag and jockrider to the two brothers), marvel comics, dragonlance, etc.

By the time I was 13-14 I had graduated to espionage paperbacks, robert ludlum, john le carre. didn't really understand most of what was there, but I enjoyed all the adventure in those books.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I read Hope for the Flowers too... Very inspiring story.

Anyway, I used to really love reading the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books. I used to wonder why Franklin Dixon and Carolyn Keene never seemed to die, but just kept on writing and writing books, books, and more books. Of course, that was before I found out that FD and CK were pen names for a whole lot of ghostwriters writing as FD and CK.

• 1 month later...

Three years ago, I got to read the Chronicles of Narnia including the Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe, which my daughter borrowed from her school library and brought home. As I was reading the books, my tears fell. The stories were so magical and fascinating for a 9-year old, and would have greatly influenced my life if I were a 9-year old. Unfortunately, I wasn't, so I couldn't do anything but be sad.