thanks i'll keep that in mind though i doubt that will ever happen:P do have more than a handful of friends in manila. still the world is round. you are welcome. just drop me a line if you need more help

it's only tough when you let it be tough. the only problem here is that i'm not quite sure with the direction i want to go.

I will be in cebu tom until tuesday. Guys need help. This will be my first time to travel alone. Anyone here from cebu that can help me with this matter? Hope we can meet up also. Thanks

i could prolly help you if it's info you need and some directions though i will not be able to meet up with u. no time for it

no first hand info on bantayan. lets hope someone cares to share their experience there. basing on the stories ive heard from friends it's good. it's somewhat a little bora for a fraction of the cost. but of course this is coming from cebuanos so its nearer for us to go there. quite easy for a weekend trip actually

my gf and i are going to bohol on the 15th to 17th.. then dresto kami cebu siguro ng tanghali ng 17.. 18 pa ng 530 ang flyt namin pabalik dito mla.. ano kaya ang pwde namin gawin dun in a short span of time?

beaches siguro hindi na, or pwde rin itry kung ok pa ang oras... san beach pwde magpunta? preferably malapit nalang sa city kasi dun ang dock ng ferry from tagbilaran diba and dun din ang airport pabalik mla diba? am i right po?

maganda din po ang museums, historical places, etc.. mas ok siguro kung un ang bibisitahin namin sa cebu.. and kung san maganda mag stay for just 1 day, ung mejo mura lang.. :)

ms jlx, can u help us about this matter? baka pwde mo ako bigyan ng idea on what to do there.. thanks!! :)

salamat ng marami.. :)

Edited by KeniPo
my gf and i are going to bohol on the 15th to 17th.. then dresto kami cebu siguro ng tanghali ng 17.. 18 pa ng 530 ang flyt namin pabalik dito mla.. ano kaya ang pwde namin gawin dun in a short span of time?

beaches siguro hindi na, or pwde rin itry kung ok pa ang oras... san beach pwde magpunta? preferably malapit nalang sa city kasi dun ang dock ng ferry from tagbilaran diba and dun din ang airport pabalik mla diba? am i right po?

maganda din po ang museums, historical places, etc.. mas ok siguro kung un ang bibisitahin namin sa cebu.. and kung san maganda mag stay for just 1 day, ung mejo mura lang.. :)

ms jlx, can u help us about this matter? baka pwde mo ako bigyan ng idea on what to do there.. thanks!! :)

salamat ng marami.. :)

the previous discussion on an itinerary would suffice. (e.g. casa gorordo, fort san pedro, taoist temple, sto nino church, etc...) these are the typical places to visit within the city. yea the ferry will dock in cebu city. in fact i would think doing the tour on the city on the 17th will be ok. schedule will be tight but it will fit. leave taoist temple for last as it's open anytime. it will also offer you a view overlooking the city without having to go to TOPS. then the 18th you can either go to the mall or spend it in mactan (beach or some places) before you go to the airport

it seems like i've become the sort of resident guide here. unfortunately i won't be able to respond as fast if ever at all i'll get to respond sporadically. i myself am paving a different path and will be doing quite a bit of travelling indefinitely. i do not have the liberty of having internet connection all the time like i do here.

the previous discussion on an itinerary would suffice. (e.g. casa gorordo, fort san pedro, taoist temple, sto nino church, etc...) these are the typical places to visit within the city. yea the ferry will dock in cebu city. in fact i would think doing the tour on the city on the 17th will be ok. schedule will be tight but it will fit. leave taoist temple for last as it's open anytime. it will also offer you a view overlooking the city without having to go to TOPS. then the 18th you can either go to the mall or spend it in mactan (beach or some places) before you go to the airport

it seems like i've become the sort of resident guide here. unfortunately i won't be able to respond as fast if ever at all i'll get to respond sporadically. i myself am paving a different path and will be doing quite a bit of travelling indefinitely. i do not have the liberty of having internet connection all the time like i do here.

thank you for the reply mis jlx! i we, the people you've given your help to, are deeply grateful for your time and effort on helping us. :)

yes, ive seen the itinerary in this discussion and will surely follow that.. and of course, we'll take into consideration to follow your advice by spending the 18th somewhere else. :)

with regard to the different path that you're about take, i hope that you'll have a great great time.. Have alot of time for yourself when that time comes.. Dont mind the people here in MTC, we are adults already hehe but it would still be nice if you drop by once in a while :)

thanks and goodluck! :)

thank you for the reply mis jlx! i we, the people you've given your help to, are deeply grateful for your time and effort on helping us. :)

yes, ive seen the itinerary in this discussion and will surely follow that.. and of course, we'll take into consideration to follow your advice by spending the 18th somewhere else. :)

with regard to the different path that you're about take, i hope that you'll have a great great time.. Have alot of time for yourself when that time comes.. Dont mind the people here in MTC, we are adults already hehe but it would still be nice if you drop by once in a while :)

thanks and goodluck! :)

you're welcome. hope you enjoy your stay here. just holler if you need more help as i'm still able to respond:P

thanks. i'm sure i'll be fine. at the least i'll be with my family again so it's not as lonely. i'm sure i'll do quite well too whether i'd choose to pave my own career or help the fam. the only question is how happy i'll be. so wil have to wait and see what happens. any recommendation on which restos to try out in manila?

you're welcome. hope you enjoy your stay here. just holler if you need more help as i'm still able to respond:P

thanks. i'm sure i'll be fine. at the least i'll be with my family again so it's not as lonely. i'm sure i'll do quite well too whether i'd choose to pave my own career or help the fam. the only question is how happy i'll be. so wil have to wait and see what happens. any recommendation on which restos to try out in manila?

hi! you can try out SOMS at kalayaan ave. it's near rockwell or you can go here Munch Punch. this is avery handy site!

NATURAL SCENERY

The Top on Busay Hills affords panoramic views of Metro Cebu, Mactan and Olango. Ideal for picnics.

Kawasan Falls in Moalboal, the site of cascades and lush greenery, is another, favorite picnic spot.

Sudlon National Park in Cebu City sprawls on 696 hectares of wood offering picnic grounds and swimming pools.

HISTORICAL MONUMENTS & LANDMARKS

Magellan's Cross on the corner of Magallanes and Burgos streets is Cebu's most famous landmark. In 1521, Magellan planted a wooden cross on this very spot where the first Filipinos, Rajah Humabon, Queen Juana and 400 of their followers were baptized. During the 18th century, people started taking chips from the cross believing it had miraculous powers. What was left of the original cross was thus encased in a hollow 18-foot of tindalo wood and was placed inside a kiosk to further protect it.

NATIONAL MUSEUM

Fort San Pedro is the oldest and smallest fortress in the country. Built as a triangular bastion in 1565, it took 200 years to finish. In the 1700s it served as a lookout against Muslim pirates. During the Philippines Revolution it was a prison for local rebels. When the Americans took over became a US army barracks. Once again, during World War 11, it was turned into a prison camp.

Lapu-Lapu Monument. Located in punta Engano, Mactan Island, this monument honors the first Filipino hero, Lapu-Lapu. Across the street is the monument to Magellan, the conquistador Lapu-Lapu killed on the very spot where the monument stands.

Colon Street, named after Christopher Columbus, is the oldest street in the Philippines. Located in the heart of downtown Cebu, Colon was paved late in the 6th century during the time of Miguel Lopez de Legazpi. Today, it is lined with stores, shopping malls, office buildings and movie theaters.

Cebu Provincial Capitol was built in 1937 under the administration of then Governor Sotero Cabahug. Best viewed from the Avenue of Flags (Jones Avenue), the white domed structure is set against a backdrop of mountains.

Liloan Lighthouse in Liloan, 18.8 kilometers north of Cebu City, was built by the Americans in 1904.

Mandaue- Mactan Bridge links the industrial city of Mandaue with the historical island of Mactan. Eight hundred sixty four meters long and nine meters wide, the bridge was finished in 1972.

Bantayan sa Hari is located under the Mandaue-Opon Bridge. This Spanish colonial watchtower gave Mandaue resident a vantage view of the sea and marauding pirates.

Fuente Osmena is located in uptown Cebu City. It is a circular park with a fountain in middle and a skating rink on its side. The park was named after Cebu's favorite son, the late President Sergio Osmena Sr.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHURCHES & TEMPLES

Basilica Minore del Santo Nino is where the miraculous Santo Nino image is enshrined. The Santo Nino de Cebu is the oldest religious relic in the Philippines. Given By Magellan to Queen Juana in 1521, the statue survived fires set by the Spaniards themselves in 1565. Since then Cebuanos have venerated the image. The Basilica Minore Del Santo Nino is the country's oldest church, built in 1565 by Miguel Lopez de Legazpi and Fray de Urdaneta. Destroyed by fire on November 1, 1568, it was rebuilt in 1602 and rehabilitated in 1740. The church was conferred the title Basilica Minore del Santo Nino in May 1965.

Chapel of the Last Supper in the Mandaue Parish (ca. 1601) has lifesize wooden statues of Christ with the 12 apostles seated at a long table It was handcarved during the Spanish era.

Taoist Temple in Beverly Hills is where the teachings and philosophy of 600 B.C. Chinese thinker Lao-tze are preserved. Visitors can climb 99 steps to the temple where they can light joss sticks and have their fortunes read. Taoist ceremonies are held on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Heavenly Temple of Charity, located at Peace Valley in Lahug, stands on a sacred hill where spring waters are believed to have healing powers.

Phu-Sian Temple is also located in Beverly Hills. This Buddhist temple is near Taoist temple.

Carcar, south of Cebu City, has a Spanish baroque church dating back to 1876. its plaza is lined with Spanish colonial mansions.

Naga Church in Naga, south of Cebu City, is made of coral and limestone and adorned with angels and gargoyles.

Argao Church in Argao has a baroque church with frescoed ceilings.

Dalaguete Church has a gold leafed altar and crystal chandeliers. It is dedicated to San Guillermo (St. William).

Ramon Durano Foundation Compound in the outskirts of Danao City Showcases busts of all the saints and popes lining walks leading to chapels dedicated to various saints and religious occasions.& ART COLLECTIONS

Fort San Pedro Museum Exhibits artefacts taken the old Spanish Galleon known as San Diego within the deep sea of Fortune Island off the coast of Nasugbu,Batangas. The museum used to house the offices of the Department of Tourism and the Philippines Tourism Authority. The artefacts on display include Ming porcelain pieces of all sizes, coins, lockets, sword fragments cannon and helmets. Admission is free.

University of San Carlos . Museum exhibits archaeological finds, ethnic crafts, plant and animal specimens and religious relics from various parts of the Philippines. The University of San Carlos is the country's oldest university, founded by the Jesuits in 1595.

Casa Gorordo Museum on Lopez Jaena Street was the residence of the first Filipino Bishop of Cebu. The fully restored building now houses 18th to 19th century religious relics, prints and artefacts, recreating a Filipino home in the 1860's. The Museum also features contemporary art exhibits. Open Mondays to Saturdays 9am to 5pm.

Cebu Public Museum at the Rizal Memorial Library and Museum along Osmena Boulevard exhibits Cebu City's commissioned historical painting collection and other Cebuano painting and sculptures.

Osmena residence in Osmena Boulevard exhibits some of General Douglas Mac Arthur's memorabilia and many personal mementos of Sergio Osmena, the first President of the Republic if the Philippines after World War 11.

Jumalon's Lepido Mosaic Art Collection. mosaic made up of butterfly wings intricately composed by Prof. Julian Jum are displayed at his residence at Basak, Pardo, Cebu City.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ISLANDS AND BEACHES

Mactan Island, linked to Cebu City by bridge, offers a wide array of beach resorts, from world-class to budget, most of which have full scuba services and water sports facilities. Buyong and Marigondon are famed dive spots with drop-offs that make for great night dives. Danajon Bank Features a double barrier reef-one of the few in the world. Most of the reefs are exposed during low tide. Two hours from Mactan, it is ideal for day-trip dives.

Olango Island, accessibly by boat from Mactan, is a narrow 13 square kilometer isle with white sand beaches. Kansantik, southeast of Olango, is an underwater mountain with corals, large sponges and fishes. Favorite dive spots of the north shore are accessible from Baring and Mabini Point (Tingo); on the west coast from Sta. Rosa and Poo; and on the south from Panganan, Lassuan Islands and Caohagan. Olango is also a destination for bird watchers.

Sagod, ons and a half hours' drive north of Cebu City, has caves, excellent beaches and dive spots. First class accommodation and diving/water sports facilities are available.

Capitancillo Islet, two hours by banca northeast of Sagod, is a flat coralline island at the center of a reef that extends for two to tree kilometers. The island is one of Cebu's major dive sites.

Calanggaman Islet, also in the area of Sagod, features black coral, shallow ledges leading to drop-offs, caves and many varieties of fish, especially in Nunez and Ormoc Shoals.

Bantayan Island, 15 kilometers offshore from Cebu Island, is a raised coral island fringed with reefs and shoals. It can be reached by boat from Hagnayan. There are beautiful beaches and dive areas and a choice of accommodations.

Gato Islet, accessible by banca from Tapilon, is named after its shape which looks like a sitting cat. Attractions include lagoons,coral reefs and breeding areas of sea snakes.

Moalboal, meaning "bubbling brook". is situated on Cebu Island's southwestern shores. A world-famous diving and beach destination, Moalboal is 89 kilometers from Cebu City. Accommodations cover a wide price range and offer amenities plus full scuba and sports services. Popular dive sites in the Moalboal area are Pescador Island, Saavedra, Bas Diot, Panagsama Beach, Tapanan and Tongo Point.

Badian Island, across the bay from Moalboal, 97 kilometers south of Cebu City, offers divers underwater attractions around Zaragoza Island or Badian Point. There are accommodations at a beach resort which provides five-star amenities.

Argao, two hours drive from Cebu City, has white sand beaches like Kawit, Mahawak and Mahayahay. There are upscale accommodations in Dalaguete.

Oslob, close to Cebu Island's southern tip, has a beach resort which is an ideal base for exploring dive sites such as Balicasag and Pamilacan in Bohol, a neighboring province.

SHOPPING

Cebu's thriving arts and crafts industries make it a veritable paradise for souvenir hunters and avid shoppers. There is s wealth of finely crafted items in traditional and contemporary designs which have found their way into stores worldwide. Fashion accessories and furniture from Cebu are top exports of the Philippines. The Cebuanos have done wonders with sea shells, coral snakeskin and other indigenous materials to create stunning fashion jewelry and accessories. The furniture in rattan, bamboo, stone and other exotic materials and combinations are acclaimed for their unique designs and quality workmanship. Browsing through the many handicrafts available can fill a shopping day. Cebu buys include shellcraft like capiz (translucent and iridescent shell) which is made into Tiffany lampshades, ashtrays, coasters and other novelty items; baskets in nito (vine), bamboo, rattan, wicker, reeds and roots; abaca and raffia bags, rugs and placemats; woven cloth from Argao; coral and stone jewelry boxes and house accessories; and delicate jewelry and decorative items in silver. Cebu is famous for its handcrafted, shell-inlaid guitars in classical, folk and ukelele versions. Also popular are its food products like dried mango preserves, otap (crunchy sugar-coated biscuit) and turrones (rolled wafers with peanut or cashew filling).

To have a glimpse of the variety of goods Cebu has to offer, Carbon Market could be a first stop. Along Briones and Calderon Streets, this is Cebu's biggest public market. There are agricultural produce, housewares and handicrafts. Colon Street in lined with big malls and department stores offering everything from native handicrafts to designer labels. Maribago is the center of cebu's guitar-making industry.

Tabon Market on Sanciangko Street has a variety of dried fish like danggit.

FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

The Visayans are a fiesta-loving people and the Cebuanos have some of the most colorful celebrations in the islands from solemn religious rituals to rowdy parades.

Sinulog is celebrated every third Sunday of January. Also known as Fiesta Senor, this is cebu's most extravagant and popular festival. It honors the holy image of the Sto Nino de Cebu with a mardi gras-type parade where merrymakers dance to the beat of the Pit Senor drums.

Cebu City Charter Day, every February 24, commemorates the anniversary of Cebu as the first chartered city in southern Philippines. There are civic-military parades.

Semana Santa sa Bantayan is the observance of the Holy Week in bantayan with processions on Holy Thursday and Good Friday.

Pasyon sa Mandaue is a 36 hours reenactment of the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ held form Good Friday to Eastern Sunday.

Bahug-bahug sa Mactan or kadaugan sa Mactan, held every 27th of April, is a reenactment of the Battle of Mactan where Lapu-lapu defeated Magellan.

Fiesta sa Mandaue is a weeklong celebration which starts May 8 to honor the city's patron saint, St. Joseph.

Feast of Santa Filomena is celebrated in Tingo, Olango Island every first week of August.

Chinese Moon Festival is observed from October 2 to 7 by the Filipino-Chinese community with parades, dragon dances and fireworks displays.

Virgin of the Rule Fiesta honors the patroness of Opon every November 20 to 21 with food fairs, parades, religious processions and the coronation of the fiesta Queen.

Fiesta sa Carcar, on November 24 to 25, honors Carcar's patron Saint Catherine of Alexandria.

Paskuhan is held during the Christmas season. Carolling and lantern contest are held.

-------------------------------------------------------------

ahemmm... proud to be a cebuana... hehehe :D

• Like (+1) 1
yea its great but its better if done with a group of friends. also sky walk is better than edge coaster:D find it more worthwhile. at least my friends and i are of the same opinion on this.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I would try it but I need a "date" to be with to make it more fun. he he. Don't know how to make the necessary 'connect' eh.

• 2 weeks later...

cebu was the 2nd stop of our visayan adventure, bohol being the first (read about it here -->bohol trip).

to get to cebu, we boarded the supercat ferry from tagbilaran. the whole trip took just an hour and 45 mins., mostly in calm waters. the trip was enjoyable as the supercat was airconditioned, had comfortable seats, offered a movie shown via a big flat screen tv, and offered food and drinks for a price.

supercat, exterior

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1908/supercat.jpg

supercat, interior

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6783/supercatinterior.jpg

we left bohol at 10:30 am and got to cebu at 12:15 pm, just in time for lunch. a cousin-in-law currently assigned in cebu was kind enough to offer us a ride to our resort. on the way, we stopped by park mall where we ate at da vinci pizza. everyone loved it.

the lunch took quite a while to finish with all the catching up to do. but eventually, we did make it to our resort- the plantation bay. after saying our goodbyes for the moment, we checked in and, as in panglao, we found out that we've been upgraded once more; this time to a one bedroom suite. we were on a roll!

plantation bay, driveway/entrance

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8490/plantationbay.jpg

plantation bay, main lobby

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/8349/plantationbaylobby.jpg

our initial glimpse of the resort confirmed my impressions that this place was huge. it was structured like some amusement parks in other countries where some sort of transportation will take you around the circumference of the place. in this case, transportation took the form of mini jeeps that would intermitently travel along a small winding road that goes around the resort.

circumferential road

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5448/circumferentialroad.jpg

mini jeep

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1752/minijeep.jpg

Edited by kanski

bags in tow, we were whisked off to our one bedroom suite in one of said mini jeeps. reaching our room, everybody in the family had a grin from ear to ear, not believing our luck. the suite was huge! or at least, it was the biggest room we have ever stayed in on holiday. it consisted of two rooms, a living room and a bedroom. the former had a sofa bed in which one could view the flat screen tv and the latter had two queen sized beds, a more modest crt tv, a mini fridge, a desk and a closet equipped with a mini safe. both rooms had (separate) toilets; however, only the one in the bedroom had a both a bath tub and a shower. both rooms opened to a veranda that fronted a man made beach and was just yards from the shore line of one of their huge salt water pools.

one bedroom suite (bottom)

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2553/onebedroomsuite.jpg

living room

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/832/livingroome.jpg

bedroom

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9652/bedroomrtv.jpg

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/2782/bedroom2.jpg

veranda

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/777/veranda.jpg

but as much as we wanted to just stay there and let it all sink in, it was getting late and we had to get to the city proper and see as much tourist attractions as we can. some resort personnel called for a cab as there weren't any inside the compound and it took a while for one to finally come pick us up. since it was already nearly 4 pm when we neared our destination (the basilica de sto. nino), the roads were understandably choked with traffic. but we eventually got there only to be harassed by the cab driver who was insisting that we pay him P350.00 inspite of the P180.00 reflected by meter. pressed for time, we settled on a P 250.00 fee and begrudgingly entered the basilica's compound.

inside the church, the altercation was forgotten as we were suddenly in the presence of the sto. nino. after a short history spiel directed to the kids, we queued for 25 mins. for a chance to touch the sto. nino and say our own personal prayers. i wanted to take pictures of us inside the basilica but i prudently desisted fearing that other churchgoers would find offense. however, i snuck a shot of the sto. nino.

a few steps further and we were at magellan's cross. here, i clicked away as if to make up for the dearth of pictures in the basilica. of course, my kids didn't get away from another history spiel from i even if i wasn't sure if i had facts entirely right.

magellan's cross

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5770/magellanscross.jpg

with the sun setting, we didn't have enough time to visit fort san pedro nor casa gorordo. more important things were to be had. so after asking what jeep to take, off we went to tabo-an market for the all important danggit and other dried fish. by this time, my aforementioned cousin-in-law got off work and met us in the market. he then drove us around, showing us the crown regency hotel and the fuente osmena circle, before heading towards the ayala center where we had dinner.

tabo-an market

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/3269/taboanmarket.jpg

the ayala mall here is quite like glorietta- badly in need of a make over since it is already showing its age. however as we stepped outside, a new greenbelt clone called ayala terraces greeted us. albeit smaller, the terraces i thought looked better than it's manila counterpart. we strolled around looking for a place to eat and finally decided on a casa verde, an american style diner in the mold of fridays native to cebu. and we were glad with our choice (i in particular was ecstatic) since where in the world could you order 2 slabs of ribs for P188.00? a big portioned fish and chips for P150.00 or thereabouts? or a huge steak and shrimp combo called surf and turf for only P250.00. all of us left the place full, hoping that they would come north one day, to quezon city in particular.

ayala terraces

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/6690/ayalaterraces.jpg

more driving ensued but we didn't get down the car anymore since it was getting late. our guide for the day showed us the new waterfront hotel with its castle-like top, the new and modern fernan bridge, and the lapulapu monument. by this time it was nearly 11:00 pm and we headed back to the resort.

Edited by kanski

the next day started with a buffet breakfast inside the resort. at P880.00/head, i wished we were at verde instead. instead, i just had to console myself with stuffing my belly with a good variety of breakfast fare.

we then borrowed bikes and biked around the perimeter road, making note of all the attractions that could be seen. first stop was the game room where the kids had to engage in battle over ice hockey and foosball and pinball. btw, the game room is also where the gym is.

game room

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/7990/gameroom.jpg

next, we set off to a secluded fresh water pool just in front of our room. this pool, while not nearly as big as the 3 main salt water pools, is big enough to house a mini water fall and a volcano that continually spouts water. we spent the rest of the morning frolicking in this pool.

after feasting on P260.00 hotdog sandwiches (the cheapest there was) and some rest, we headed of to try the salt water pools. the experience could be likened to swimming out in the sea, minus the waves and the undercurrent, plus not having to worry if the kids will wander of to a deep portion. it was good enough to while the whole afternoon away. didn't bother to swim in the resort's real beach any longer.

salt water pool

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4070/pooli.jpg

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/6488/falls.jpg

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9214/pool2.jpg

beach

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/16/beachn.jpg

i just had to try their long water slide located beside the main water fall (2nd photo, above). ended up scraping my elbow after failing to fold my arms on top of chest adequately.

the next day, was just for relaxing. the wife tried the resort's spa named mogambo springs and availed of an hour of massage and claims this was way better than the massage she regularly gets in manila. i on the other hand didn't go for a massage (still smarting from all the food bills) and spent the time going around the resort, taking pictures of the kids. also got to watch a korean get a crack at firing half a dozen rounds from a shotgun in the firing range.

mogambo springs

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6560/mogambosprings.jpg

we left for manila via cebu pacific that afternoon.

let me finish by saying that plantation bay offers such a good respite from your daily routine. and it is not just because of the marvelous facilities they have that i've talked about in detail. it's equally due to the excellent service that their staff will render upon you from the minute you step in their resort till the minute you leave. their 'strictly no tipping' policy makes this feat even more amazing. it trully makes me think that their training is correctly geared towards giving their guests a fantastic time. it also makes me think of the old adage 'you get what you pay for' and that i shouldn't complain about the high food prices. :)

@kanski

glad to hear you had such a wonderful time here. were you just here a few days ago? did you get to hear about the food festival? there are food stalls infront of lapu-lapu monument for the past week from 5pm up. food cost anywhere from 5-100 pesos per order. hotels/resorts like shang, hilton, plantation, white sands, etc... had food stalls for the same amount. we went there last night and had to say the food was great! where else can u order barbequed blue marlin for only P45 per stick? an order of lasagna that is bigger than the one from greenwich, is also very creamy and full of mozzarella cheese for only P100? or an order of beef w/ broccoli for P60? these dishes that i've mentioned are from the major resorts in town.

sorry to burst your bubble but the owners of casa verde have no plans of opening a branch in manila. at least the last time i talked to them. problem is the business is a family affair. currently they already have more branches than there are family members. they're already asking help from relatives to help them run that particular biz. i hear you on this though:P thanks for reminding me i gotta eat there before i leave town (adds on my checklist)

you're right about the no tip policy but it's quite sad if you work for a company like that as lots of hotel employees rely on either service charge or tips to support their wage. as they say if a customer insists they cannot throw the tip away either:D

hey jlx! we were in your town last week, from tues to thurs to be exact. we didn't get to go around that much since the kids wanted to spend as much time as possible in plantation.

got to see the ruckus going on in and around lapu2. when we got there, we initially thought there was a fiesta was on going. there were banners hanged over the street, a lot of stalls in the side of the street, and even more people in the street. unfortunately, that was the last place we stopped by prior ro going back to the resort and, being late, we didn't bother to go down anymore.

regarding casa verde, i highly doubt if they would be able to serve the same fare with the same prices if they opened a branch in manila. so me wishing that there would be a branch here in manila is just my way of saying how lucky you guys are for having that place there. :)

and by the way, i tried to give a tip to the first person we met in plantation- the guy who brought down and watched over our bags as we checked in. but to my slight embarrasment, he turned it down. it was later during our ride to our room that i saw the first of many signs informing guests of the resort's no tipping policy. after both those instances, i didn't even bother to try to give another worker a tip.

i forgot to mention, one of the things that i really like about employees in palntation is that they readily answer " you're welcome" when you thank them, and they say it like they really mean it. this is a lost art in proper discourse that i am happy to have experienced once more.

@kanski

glad to hear you had such a wonderful time here. were you just here a few days ago? did you get to hear about the food festival? there are food stalls infront of lapu-lapu monument for the past week from 5pm up. food cost anywhere from 5-100 pesos per order. hotels/resorts like shang, hilton, plantation, white sands, etc... had food stalls for the same amount. we went there last night and had to say the food was great! where else can u order barbequed blue marlin for only P45 per stick? an order of lasagna that is bigger than the one from greenwich, is also very creamy and full of mozzarella cheese for only P100? or an order of beef w/ broccoli for P60? these dishes that i've mentioned are from the major resorts in town.

Sir jlx,

Any event this friday in Cebu we should know about? We're going to Cebu and Bohol this long weekend. Uso ba ang May 1 rally sa Cebu?

Sir jlx,

Any event this friday in Cebu we should know about? We're going to Cebu and Bohol this long weekend. Uso ba ang May 1 rally sa Cebu?

unfortunately, i havent heard of any event this week. nope. rallies are not uso here. it's kinda too late now but this will be helpful for other travellers for future bookings (in case there are such promotions) if you booked your tix to bohol about a week in advance its only P400 and 2 weeks in advance for P300 and these are back and forth tix already but of course these are subject for availability. for myself i was not able to get this because it was a last minute decision a few days ago but i was able to get tix for P525 for april 30th w/ supercat. be careful though because some of these are non-aircon.