Back To The 70's

Who can ever forget the Excorcist?

The Excorcist. Scary movie--- an even more frightening book. My father had the novel on top of his night table and I asked him if I could read it. He mumbled his ok and I took the better part of 5 days whole week to finish.  I was 15 years old and it was the very first book I had ever read in my entire life.

Immediately after that book, going to the toilet in the middle of the night became quite an experience as I kind of became aware of floor boards creaking, the wind blowing, looking behind my back and all that stuff.  CreepY!

I still have that book with me and I have not read it since that time.

Linda Blair played the character of possessed Regan in the movie to perfection!

To be honest, I wasn't abe to sleep when I first saw The Exorcist. Something about that possession thing. Tama ka 16track - the worst part was washing your face or your hair, kasi you have to close your eyes for a while eh...I found myself doing that part a little faster para I can open my eyes sooner :P I haven't read the book but after your narration, I think I will. William or Norman or Peter Blatty ba yung name ng author?

Alas, that was Linda Blair's 15 minutes. She was relegated to low budget films where she would almost always show her breasts.

They shouldn't have made all those crappy prequels and sequels.

What is the 70's movie that had Ï AM WOMAN song of Helen Reddy in its OST ???

JT / 16 Track, Slide  and all others ,  Can you kindly name some famous 70's Movies and the famous songs (and artist too) from their OST ?

I can't seem to remember from what movie "I am Woman" came from?

But...as requested :

from 1973 :

Touch me in the Morning - Diana Ross (from "Lady Sings the Blues")

Duelling Banjos - Eric Weissberg & Steve Mande (from "Deliverance")

The Way We Were - Barbara Streisand (from "The way we were")

from 1974 :

The Entertainer - Marvin Hamlisch (from "The Sting")

from 1976 :

Theme from S W A T - Rhythm Heritage (from the TV series "SWAT")

Convoy - C W Mcall (from "Convoy")

Welcome Back - John Sebastian (from the TV series "Welcome Back Kotter")

I'll be Good to You - Brothers Johnson (from "Mother, Jugs & Speed")

I'm Easy - Keith Carradine (from "Nashville")

from 1977 :

Theme from A Star is Born - Barbara Streisand (from "A Star is Born")

Car Wash - Rose Royce (from "Car Wash")

Star Wars Theme / Cantina Band - Meco (from "Star Wars")

Nobody Does it Better - Carly Simon (from "The Spy who Loved Me")

from 1978 :

You Light up my Life - Debby Boone (from "You Light up my Life")

Grease - Frankie Valli (from "Grease")

If I can't have you - Yvonne Elliman (from "Saturday Night Fever")

Last Dance - Donna Summer (from "Thank God it's Friday")

Got to get you into my life - Earth, Wind and Fire (from "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band")

Goodbye Girl - David Gates (from "Goodbye Girl")

On Broadway - George Benson (from "All that Jazz")

from 1979:

The Main Event - Barbara Streisand (from "The Main Event")

Theme from Mahogany - Diana Ross (from "Mahogany")

Hi guys! May FR ako! :D

I went to the GS/HS fair of Immaculate Conception (ICA) in Greenhills yesterday, and naturally, I was on the lookout for differences between fairs today and fairs of the 70s.

Wala na silang jail booth or handcuffs dun, but what caught my attention was seeing a boy and girl sharing the earplugs of an iPod (one ear each). And i noticed about 4 couples. Kaya halos magkadikit kung maglakad. Eh di parang naka handcuff na din yun!

May dedication booth pa rin, they call it dedix booth.

Entrance to fair grounds was P50, rides were P40, game booths were P20 each, sno-cone P40, small mineral water P20, shirts P150-200, variety show P200. May tiangge pa sa fair grounds, together with dippin dots and floyds ice ceam, yellow cab pizza, dulcinea churros & chocolate, hotshots hamburger. Dito na siguro nagkaiba, dahil sa laki ng gagastusin ng kids, dapat nga kasama na ang nanay! :wacko:

Hi guys!  May FR ako!  :D

I went to the GS/HS fair of Immaculate Conception (ICA) in Greenhills yesterday, and naturally, I was on the lookout for differences between fairs today and fairs of the 70s.

Wala na silang jail booth or handcuffs dun, but what caught my attention was seeing a boy and girl sharing the earplugs of an iPod (one ear each).  And i noticed about 4 couples.  Kaya halos magkadikit kung maglakad.  Eh di parang naka handcuff na din yun! 

Entrance to fair grounds was P50, rides were P40, game booths were P20 each, sno-cone P40, small mineral water P20,  shirts P150-200, variety show P200.  May tiangge pa sa fair grounds, together with dippin dots and floyds ice ceam, yellow cab pizza, dulcinea churros & chocolate, hotshots hamburger.  Dito na siguro nagkaiba, dahil sa laki ng gagastusin ng kids, dapat nga kasama na ang nanay!    :wacko:

Liberty..what about the BOYssssssss!!!!!!! Cuties pa rin...i suppose :D

Hindi ka ba na-shock sa PDA - Public Display of affection ng mga bata ngayon???..buti na lang mga anak ko puro boys.. :blink:

Hi guys!  May FR ako!  :D

Wala na silang jail booth or handcuffs dun, but what caught my attention was seeing a boy and girl sharing the earplugs of an iPod (one ear each).  And i noticed about 4 couples.  Kaya halos magkadikit kung maglakad.  Eh di parang naka handcuff na din yun! 

Entrance to fair grounds was P50, rides were P40, game booths were P20 each, sno-cone P40, small mineral water P20,  shirts P150-200, variety show P200.  May tiangge pa sa fair grounds, together with dippin dots and floyds ice ceam, yellow cab pizza, dulcinea churros & chocolate, hotshots hamburger.  Dito na siguro nagkaiba, dahil sa laki ng gagastusin ng kids, dapat nga kasama na ang nanay!    :wacko:

Sus maria, nung fair ko sa Grade School 10 pesos lang ang baon ko and I felt so rich na on that day!

We would buy a book of tickets in advance. These tickets would be of varying denominations and it would last a few days for me and my 2 brothers. Rides were siempre ferris wheel, octopuss, caterpillar and the mandatory horror booth.

Liberty at those prices, you mean kulang pa ang P1000 ???

Elements of a Typical Fair in the 70s

Handcuff

Those handcuffs were the only way shy types such as myself could meet girls during those days. In 1979, during a fair at St. Scho Marikina, a friend apparently (at the time, I didn't know why anyone would handcuff me to someone without my requesting it) had me handcuffed to an incredibly beautiful lady from Siena College. She was also a ballet dancer. To this day, I remember her name and her face.

During the same fair, I had myself handcuffed to a more intellectually-looking lady. But she was absolutely beautiful as well.

Edited by jt2003
Those handcuffs were the only way shy types such as myself could meet girls during those days.  In 1979, during a fair at St. Scho Marikina, a friend apparently (at the time, I didn't know why anyone would handcuff me to someone without my requesting it) had me handcuffed to an incredibly beautiful lady from Siena College.  She was also a ballet dancer.  To this day, I remember her name and her face.

During the same fair, I had myself handcuffed to a more intellectually-looking lady.  But she was absolutely beautiful as well.

Wow JT, you're early today man..

Teka, papano ba ang systema ng handcuffs? hehehe pati handcuffs na-procedural analysis tuloy...

Someone will pay the fee to have someone else linked to a 3rd-party?

Can the 3rd-party refuse?

How long will it last?

Yung jail booth alam ko if you step on a line that comprises the outer perimiter of the jail cell, ayun - huli ka..

So JT, anong nangyari kay ballet dancer and the beautiful intellectual lady? I'm sure liberty and augustmoon are eager to know.. :D

Same as augustmoon, mabuti na lang lalaki ang anak ko. :D

Good Morning to ALL :)

Slide..halatangng ON-VACATION ka. First time to post this early, and on a MONDAY at that.....Monday. with NO Pressure...Pure Bliss ba?

JT..mornings are when our braincells are most efficient..No wonder even the FACE you remember. :) Btw, Your older Bro. Tots and wife Marina were my co-parents at UP-CDC Pre-school (their youngest son - sorry forgot his name- was the classmate and ka-carpool of my eldest son. ) While your sister Charo was my batch at MCHS. Small world. :) :)

Para hindi ma-OT (sorry) ...Storm...you forgot to include the KROPECK and POPCORN Carts - I like the PINK one - it was the salty-sweet kind - during 70's school fairs. I particularly remember my first (as a teenager) "coed" fair in 1976 (when Ateneo won the HS/College UAAP..so daming tao/activities). My bestfriend and I almost got run over by a motocross(er) gone wild -- gumulong kami sa damo, with our clogs flying all over, hair messed up and bruised elbows - traumatic !!! :blink: :blink:

The movie JAWS gave me the creeps to ride a fishing boat on open waters. I grew up in Malabon and it's natural for us to ride on fishing boats to go to even as far as Bataan. After watching JAWS, it took me years before I got the courage to ride a boat again. :angry:

Teka, papano ba ang systema ng handcuffs? hehehe pati handcuffs na-procedural analysis tuloy...

Someone will pay the fee to have someone else linked to a 3rd-party?

Can the 3rd-party refuse?

How long will it last?

As I recall, you couldn't refuse. Pinipilit ka talaga. It usually lasts an hour. And yes, someone can pay for two people to be linked.

To be honest, I wasn't abe to sleep when I first saw The Exorcist. Something about that possession thing. Tama ka 16track - the worst part was washing your face or your hair, kasi you have to close your eyes for a while eh...I found myself doing that part a little faster para I can open my eyes sooner  :P I haven't read the book but after your narration, I think I will. William or Norman or Peter Blatty ba yung name ng author?

Alas, that was Linda Blair's 15 minutes. She was relegated to low budget films where she would almost always show her breasts.

They shouldn't have made all those crappy prequels and sequels.

Nakakahiya mang aminin, but Linda Blair was actually my object of desire in those low budget films.

I remember this movie where she was an inmate in this jail where they were

constantly being abused. The obligatory shower scene.....

Thanks for the info re: sources for old songs at MCS. Sayang our office was

close to that area before we moved to Pasig. But will still check it out.

Cheers!

As I recall, you couldn't refuse.  Pinipilit ka talaga.  It usually lasts an hour.  And yes, someone can pay for two people to be linked.

From my recollection, you can refuse to be handcuffed but you have to pay the fine outright. Whereas if you go along and get handcuffed (for an hour or so?), you don't have to pay a fine.

Never had to pay to get handcuffed with anyone. Usually, I'd go to fairs where my sisters attend school or I have friends there so sila na lang ang kinakausap ko to get me handcuffed with the girls I liked. Convenient huh? :blush:

I never did like those nasty jail booths . . .

I mean listen to a hit rap song now. All you hear is a monotonous drum machine and some rappers voice, no melody, just pure beat. At least yung 'Rapper's Delight' ng Sugar Hill Gang, recognizable yung riff - yun ba ang tawag dun Bods? 'riff' ? ('Good Times' by Chic). Tone Loc and Will Smith's hits were at least funny. But take any record of Eminem...I mean it sounds like he's making up the "lyrics" as he goes by, and they don't even rhyme...haaay naku generation gap na lang siguro talaga.

And they use such explicit lyrics! Their being former drug dealers (50 cent) or having criminal records  (Snoop Doggy Dog ba yun? whattaname) actually ADD to their "appeal".

Dutchman, don't forget we also tend to linger in the 'old classics' section hehehe. Try going to Makati Cinema Square. There's a shop there (Bods also frequents this store) in the same level as the Bingo place where this guy has this incredible collection of old LPs which he can burn for you in a CD for a fee of course. Kind of reminds me of the old days when I would go to Stop and Shop (Mother's) in Sta Mesa and have albums 'taped' for me in C-90 cassettes.

the authority to ask about musical terms is pareng 16track :P but yes, riff nga yata tawag dun...

I think the first rap song was Blondie's Rapture and it still sounded excellent as compared to the inanities masquerading as music today...Yo! :P

The movie JAWS gave me the creeps to ride a fishing boat on open waters. I grew up in Malabon and it's natural for us to ride on fishing boats to go to even as far as Bataan. After watching JAWS, it took me years before I got the courage to ride a boat again. :angry:

Ibang klase kasi ang suspense ng Jaws eh. I hated it when they Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw or Richard Dreyfuss would extend their arms outside the boat, reaching for something in the water. You know JAWS will suddenly appear from nowhere. Remember the severed head that popped out of the hole in the boat?

Other similar nakakagulat scenes were from Carrie and the original Friday the 13th.

So JT, anong nangyari kay ballet dancer and the beautiful intellectual lady? I'm sure liberty and augustmoon are eager to know.. :D

Same as augustmoon, mabuti na lang lalaki ang anak ko.  :D

With your indulgence (thanks)...

The ballet dancer was incredibly beautiful. I tried to get her to be my date in our graduation ball in 1979, but I wasn't able to talk to her. I also tried to get the intellectual lady to be my date. But when I talked to her father, he said he wouldn't permit his daughter to attend such activities until she graduated from college. So I went stag to our graduation ball. A number of us did. I think we had more fun than those who spent the evening trying to impress their dates.

As for children, I've told my daughter that the first boy who comes knocking on my door to see her will get a fist from me. So if she hates anyone, let him come. (Joke ha!)

As I told one of my younger office staff, the 70's was not entirely disco music and Saturday Night Fever. The beautiful thing about the 70's, I explained, was that it was so full of varieties that made the whole decade memorable.

The 70's also spanned and spawned artists such as:

1. Led Zeppellin

2. Derek and the Dominoes ( Eric Clapton's aka )

3. Chic - where Niles Rodgers funky rythmic playing powered Good Times and Le Freak

4. James Taylor

5. The Eagles

6. Blondie

7. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

8. Billy Joel

9. The Police

10. Paul McCartney and the Wings

11. Kenny Loggins

12. Stevie Wonder

13. Peter Frampton

14. Black Sabath

15. Bob Marley