Supplements - to Take or Not to Take?

uh, no, eat right first. no magic pills here again. if you can afford to exert the effort preparing and the time to do it with real protein sources most likely you wouldnt find protein powder of much use,

Methinks everyone will agree

I do agree with your statement with one exception. Most of us don't have that extra time in preparing 6 meals a day, nor are we looking at consuming the extra items in reaching 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight in real food. I believe most of us are just trying to keep healthy and to look better. Cutting out supplements in reaching that goal maybe a little short sided. Let’s look at a best case scenario.

Ex. Tuna in spring water (Chicken of the sea brand)

Calories: 60.00

Calories from Fat: 5

Total Fat: 0.50 g.

Saturated Fat: 0 g.

Cholesterol: 30.00 mg.

Sodium: 250.00 mg.

Total Carbohydrates: 0 g.

Sugars: 0 g.

Protein: 13.00 g.

Ex. Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein

Calories - 120

Calories from Fat - 10

Total Fat - 1g

- Saturated Fat - 0.5g

Cholesterol - 30mg

Total Carbohydrate - 3g

Sugars - 1g

Protein - 24g

Potassium - 220mg

Calcium - 140mg

Sodium - 60mg

Tuna: close to 3lbs a day

13 grams protein = 2oz of tuna = 60 calories

200 lb person (1.5 grams/protein) = 300 grams = 46oz of tuna (23 servings) = 1380 calories

Cholesterol 690mg (290% USDA daily recommended)

Sodium 5750mg (290% USDA daily recommended)

Protein Powder:

200 lb person (1.5 grams/protein) = 300 grams = 12.5 servings = 1500 calories

Cholesterol 375mg (120% USDA daily recommended)

Sodium 720mg (36% USDA daily recommended)

I do agree with your statement with one exception.  Most of us don't have that extra time in preparing 6 meals a day, nor are we looking at consuming the extra items in reaching 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight in real food.  I believe most of us are just trying to keep healthy and to look better.  Cutting out supplements in reaching that goal maybe a little short sided.

Sorry bro, I didnt mean to say that they should be cut out; I was only pointing out that he should consider developing the discipline in getting his eating habits straightened out before even thinking about supplements; I've seen way too many guys in my gym chug down bottle after bottle of protein shake in the course of a workout only light up a cancer stick right outside the gym minutes after. It just irks me to unusual proportions. Similarly, eating sh*t food destroys the very premise of working out/healthy living.

im currently taking 15mg of Reductil* daily.. it worked; i lost 20 pounds in less than a month.. pero sinabayan ko nang 30 mins on threadmill, 5 days a week.. no softdrinks / sweets.. and less rice (minsan NO RICE) pag kumakain.. im still taking the pill hanggang ngayun..

Reductil doesnt burn fats; it just controlls ur appetite.. para kang laging busog.. side effects: dry mouth and insomia (note: sa 1st week nyo lang ma e experience yung side effects)..

I've achieved my goal which is to lose weight (from 144lbs to 125lbs in 4 mos!!!!) using Extreme Ripped Fuel. Although, yes, I still notice some fats hanging around my belly pero di na sya halata tulad ng dati (from 33 in to 29 waistline!!!).

Now I'm kinda curious coz while i'm working out I noticed some parts of my body started to define like my chest, triceps, biceps, back and I would like to define it more without gaining too much weight. Napapansin ko din na parang hanggang dun na lang ang paglaki ng mga muscles ko (plateu stage???) siguro I'm not taking enough protein. Here's my main question: If I use AMINO ACID this time as my supplement, will it help me get what I want to happen? I dont want a bulky kinda body, but a nice slim and defined one (yung tipong rock star kind of physique).

I've read about CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) and it seems its target is to loose fat located around the tummy. Can this do the trick? Or maybe I should just stick with Extreme Ripped Fuel..?

Thanks!!!

Edited by dj_flip03

just wanna ask..

where can i buy a good source of CREATINE MONOHYDRATE? and what brand should i buy?!?

oh, and another thing, about the post above ^... cguro kaya 20g ung nakalagay dun kasi pang super heavy weight body builders un! ung mga tipong wrestler.. ehhe. just a thought. hehe. :D

ngaun pa lang ako susubok ng creatine.. sana gumana sakin.. :D

Hi, Im new here. Been working out for more than 4 years. Ive never been serious with supplementation although I have seen my body develop, especially my pecs and my back. my friend is advising me to use what he uses: anabolic and growth hormone releasers. Im not sure if it works though... anyone heard of such things?

Hi, Im new here. Been working out for more than 4 years. Ive never been serious with supplementation although I have seen my body develop, especially my pecs and my back. my friend is advising me to use what he uses: anabolic and growth hormone releasers. Im not sure if it works though... anyone heard of such things?

hmmm... are we talking tribulus terrestris (good) or some other fancypants supp (bad)?

... Steroids are serious drugs taken only for serious diseases and monitored closely by a doctor.  Taken on its own, it provides no health benefit.  Sure you build up muscles fast, but at the risk of what?  You look good at the peak of your life then at 30-40 years old, you get hip pain and your doctor tells you you have avascular necrosis of the hip for which you need a hip replacement (papalitan ng bakal ang balakang), a surgery which costs in the hundred of thousands of pesos.  Or a person can't figure out why he and his wife can't have a baby - the doctor says the sperm count is really low because his testicles have atrophied.  These are only a few of the many documented problems with steroids!  This is why in the field of medicine, systemic steroids are always a last resort! 

Peace my friends!  I don't mean to antagonize anyone, it's just that I feel obligated to share my knowledge on medical matters as serious as this.  Like I always tell my patients, they are the masters of their bodies and have the option not to follow a single word I have told them, but so long as they know the risks involved, so choose wisely! :)

hint-of-lime,

Thank you for your research into this matter. The abuse of steroids can lead to a lot of unwanted side-effects. But what does your research say on healthy adult males cycling steroids? The US has banned steroids and even made them illegal to posses without a doctor’s prescription. What they don't tell you is the American Medical Association, Dept of Health and Human services and Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) all oppose such a move.

I have not found a long term study that can point distinctly to the negative side-effects of anabolic steroids when taken in a responsible manner, ie. cycling the drug in healthy adult males. If you can find such a study I would really like to see it.

Peace

question...whats better for fat loss xenadrine or ripped fuel? hydroxycut doesnt work for me and im using xenadrine. but i want to try something new and i was wondering if ripped fuel is better... thanks!

Hydroxycut owes their fame to ephedra and without it I feel the product was almost worthless. The US lifted the ban in April 05 and some manufacturers are putting it back into their product. This is one of the best known ingredient used to reduce your appetite and give you energy during the day. Find a product that contains ephedra and you’ll see better results then just caffeine alone.

mga bro meron ako nakit kanian lipo6 fat burner yun daw ang ok ngayon has anybody tried it na? pati nutrifit or nutrafit nakakapayat dat talaga (of course with diet and exercise) nadinig niyo na bato?

medyo na-trauma ako sa mga slimming supplements na yan kasi yung slimming tea na ininom ko once made me go to the restroom every minute istorbo sa trabaho, parang nagka-lbm ako. sana may mga slimming / fat burning supplements na hindi nakakapagpatae. :unsure:

Guys....let's face it....some people are out there about to take or may have already taken another dose of steroids and there is nothing we can do to make them change their minds. My question is, what are the supplements needed to complement with the steroid use so as to compensate/protect (I just don't have a word for it) for any damage the body may have to endure?

Hi,

Me tanong lang ako.. pwde bang e-stack ang creatine pati tribulus ? Effective ba ang swole v.2 ng syntrax ?

bro,

my answer, through research, is NO...the reason why is because tribulus is a diuretic (tending to increase urine flow)...which means it will negate the effect of creatine since it does the opposite by increasing muscle cell mass by way of increased water retention...it will be like taking xenadrine/hydroxycut (with caffeine) AND creatine at the same time...studies strongly recommend NOT to take caffeine while taking creatine....just my two cents...

may i ask what is your primary goal?...to lose or gain weight?....thanks...noah