parengs bods, storm, agxo, floppy... i'm in the final stages of moving into my new office and getting my engineers upto speed with the new software. once i have "ramped up" operations, i'll definitely "pop" some corks.

That's great news! Congratulations! We'll await the popping! will this count as an EB?

If I may ask what would be a nice wine to pair with Petit Camembert cheese?

cheers!

I tried it with a 2005 bottle of french merlot but it didint compliment the cheese well.

Im not realy a wine drinker, but i love cheese. I often drink cocktails. Are there any suggestions on what kinds to try and buy?

Strong flavored and "spicy" cheese would go well with fuller bodied, complex wines like your cabernet sauvignon, merlot and shiraz. Light/medium flavored cheese would pair well will lighter bodied wines like tempranillo, pinot noir, sauvignon blanc, chardonnay etc. Again this is the convention but not a hard and fast rule.

Manchego, strong cheddar, edam, parmessan would qualify as stong cheese;

Asiago, camembert, brie, mozzorela, for me would qualify as light to medium cheese.

On occasions when I will drink scotch whiskey (blended or single malt), I will not hesitate to pair it with asiago or a strong cheddar. Again this is my personal choice.

I agree with Masi - it's all a matter of personal preference. Masi's guide can be your starting point, but don't let it limit your tasting. The "strong" would refer to the flavor of the cheese rather than the texture. There are some soft cheeses with extremely powerful flavors like roquefort and other blue cheese. Experiment and find which combination you prefer.

Cheers!

....and we are ready with the bottles and corkscrews - just say when, pare...

cheers! and congratulations, too, pare. You did well....

That's great news! Congratulations! We'll await the popping! will this count as an EB?

just a few weeks more and i'll be settled and will definitely call an EB!!!!! Boy, I really need a drink!!!!!

Strong flavored and "spicy" cheese would go well with fuller bodied, complex wines like your cabernet sauvignon, merlot and shiraz. Light/medium flavored cheese would pair well will lighter bodied wines like tempranillo, pinot noir, sauvignon blanc, chardonnay etc. Again this is the convention but not a hard and fast rule.

Manchego, strong cheddar, edam, parmessan would qualify as stong cheese;

Asiago, camembert, brie, mozzorela, for me would qualify as light to medium cheese.

On occasions when I will drink scotch whiskey (blended or single malt), I will not hesitate to pair it with asiago or a strong cheddar. Again this is my personal choice.

...and for the really nasty stuff like Roquefort or Stilton cheese, only port will have the guts to pair up with it...

Im not realy a wine drinker, but i love cheese. I often drink cocktails. Are there any suggestions on what kinds to try and buy?

Ey, mate! So you're trying to learn about wines huh? Me too.

Tonights the night for my Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon. Friends and I will be having a poker night at my place. I'll be serving this bottle and some vodkatinis. Our choice food: baby back ribs and nachos! :cool:

Some more of those quirky animals from Down Under. After Bear Crossing, Yellow Tail, Kangaroo Ridge, Butterfly Ridge, etc. I spied a new wine at Shopwise called Platypus Run. It's a 2001 Shiraz so it should be ripe by now. Will have it tonight and see what this creature is up to :D

Edited by bods1000
parengs bods, storm, agxo, floppy... i'm in the final stages of moving into my new office and getting my engineers upto speed with the new software. once i have "ramped up" operations, i'll definitely "pop" some corks.

Cool! congratulations! I'd bring some wine to celebrate with when I go in May but with the current restrictions, I'd have to check it in and I'm reluctant to do that. But let me think about that.........

Hey! We should still have that bottle of champagne, right? Well, itf it's still there, open it, toast yourself and the gang and have fun!!!

I agree with Masi - it's all a matter of personal preference. Masi's guide can be your starting point, but don't let it limit your tasting. The "strong" would refer to the flavor of the cheese rather than the texture. There are some soft cheeses with extremely powerful flavors like roquefort and other blue cheese. Experiment and find which combination you prefer.

Cheers!

Check out these sites.....

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cpairing.htm

http://www.2basnob.com/wine-cheese-pairings.html

http://www.wineintro.com/food/cheese/

I like manchego with a nice pinot, or a really rich triple cream brie with a nicely aged cabernet sauvignon. Parmiggiano reggiano or a nicely aged asiago with champagne or prosecco. Stilton/blue cheese with port. Mimolette with an easy going zin. But as all have noted, it's all aubjective. Our tastebuds are all a bit different, as our acquired tastes, so go experiment! Have fun doing it! That's what it's all about - the thrill of the unknown and the rhapsody of the perfect match.

Cool! congratulations! I'd bring some wine to celebrate with when I go in May but with the current restrictions, I'd have to check it in and I'm reluctant to do that. But let me think about that.........

Hey! We should still have that bottle of champagne, right? Well, itf it's still there, open it, toast yourself and the gang and have fun!!!

Yup the champagne is still "chillin" (no pun intended) together with some pinots that i been holding on. Looking forward to the eb in May, but I do intend to get the guys together before that.

Bods...got a couple of cases of reds from the Deakin Estate last December. It was great for Christmas...it went so fast during family gatherings, I had to get more :-(

you're back in the country? hope you can join us soon....

2 cases of Deakin going fast? Your family must be that big, and all wine-drinkers ha! Kudos and cheers!

welcome back...do post here more often as we miss that feminine touch here hehehe

Check out these sites.....

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cpairing.htm

http://www.2basnob.com/wine-cheese-pairings.html

http://www.wineintro.com/food/cheese/

I like manchego with a nice pinot, or a really rich triple cream brie with a nicely aged cabernet sauvignon. Parmiggiano reggiano or a nicely aged asiago with champagne or prosecco. Stilton/blue cheese with port. Mimolette with an easy going zin. But as all have noted, it's all aubjective. Our tastebuds are all a bit different, as our acquired tastes, so go experiment! Have fun doing it! That's what it's all about - the thrill of the unknown and the rhapsody of the perfect match.

Nice site!

Sabi na nga ba - cheddar does pair well with beer.

Cheers!

Regarding screw caps - I've been seeing a lot of Australian whites with screw caps instead of corks. Is Australia running low on natural cork? Some of the reds have a synthetic cork. The 3 years ago, some European company was selling a whole plastic cork production line in a German trade fair.

Definitely marketing making the difference here. From what I seem to recall, that was one of the reasons for the split - Robert wanted to grow the business and Peter wanted to be the "true winemaker".

There's a Krug in Reims, France - and it does champagne. www.krug.com Reims is one the cities know =n for its champagne producers. The other is Epernay, at the other end of the champagne region. Moet & Chandon and Perrier-Jouet are among the top Epernay producers. Krug is one of Reims' best known houses.

hi guys, back in manila again. i just would like to join in the discussion, krug is being sold by "olga" here. there are lots of wines coming in with screw cap - one i know from CA, skrewkappa, some don sebastiani, recently i heard this wines are available in highlands steak in MOA.

hi guys, back in manila again. i just would like to join in the discussion, krug is being sold by "olga" here. there are lots of wines coming in with screw cap - one i know from CA, skrewkappa, some don sebastiani, recently i heard this wines are available in highlands steak in MOA.

Ah, yes. Screwkappanappa wines. Saw that when I was in a Nob Hill store just the other weekend. Didn't pick any up since I was leaving for my trip right the next weekend but I plan to give it a try when I return.

As for that question as to why the screw caps or the synthetic corks? First - corks generally come fromthe south of rance where there are oak trees grown specifically for their cork production. Corks are made fromthe bark of the tree which is very thick and spongy. As far as I know, no other country produces natural corks.

With the increase in wine consumption and the increase in wine production, the supply of corks is running low. Also, there is a phenomenon called "corking" (duh!!!) in which the cork is tainted with some bacteria and when in contact with the wine gives it a funky smell and taste, kinda like wet cardboard. Estimates are 1 in 10 bottles is corked. The taint runs from very mild and most people won't notice it, or care even even if they notice it, to rather offensive. Between that and cost and availability, the wine industry started looking for alternatives many years ago. Current alternatives are the totally synthetic corks made from recycled plastic, synthetics made from a synthetic core with a thin veneer of cork around it, and screw caps. Many winemakers in California feel that scwer caps are the way to go. Bonny Doon now produces some of its wine with screw caps. Plumpjack (a very high end winery that produces what are called "botique" wines) has started capping their top end wine with a screw cap. Many other CA wineries are following suit.

I think that like it or not, this is the wave of the future and within 10 years, most wines will be screwcapped and only the really high end wines for collectors will use corks. I prefer corks despite the risk but one can't stop the tide of progress. ;( Oh well, as long as the i=wine remains good, I'll be okay!

Ah, yes. Screwkappanappa wines. Saw that when I was in a Nob Hill store just the other weekend. Didn't pick any up since I was leaving for my trip right the next weekend but I plan to give it a try when I return.

As for that question as to why the screw caps or the synthetic corks? First - corks generally come fromthe south of rance where there are oak trees grown specifically for their cork production. Corks are made fromthe bark of the tree which is very thick and spongy. As far as I know, no other country produces natural corks.

Portugal, pare, also is a big producer of corks.

Yes, can\t stem the tide of change. As long as the liquid inside is good, then I guess it's ok.

Now for that Platypus Run 2001 Shiraz which I recently bought. This is all I can say - that platypus should have stayed in the bottom of that stream. :angry: The wine brought back memories of when I was just starting out with wine - bad bad bad. The wine is all wrong - no fruitiness, no finish and leaves a bitter aftertaste. Defininitely not recommended. :thumbsdownsmiley:

welcome back pare! we miss you here. Hope we can get together again....

Portugal, pare, also is a big producer of corks.

Yes, can\t stem the tide of change. As long as the liquid inside is good, then I guess it's ok.

Now for that Platypus Run 2001 Shiraz which I recently bought. This is all I can say - that platypus should have stayed in the bottom of that stream. :angry: The wine brought back memories of when I was just starting out with wine - bad bad bad. The wine is all wrong - no fruitiness, no finish and leaves a bitter aftertaste. Defininitely not recommended. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Portugal? Didn't know that! That's my new thing learned for this day. Cool!

I just have bad memories of wine in a box and how that was supposed to keep the wine fresher longer and so on. So that kinda drives my reaction to uncorks and other abominations. that and the fact that recycled plastic trends to outgas, and where do YOU think those toxic gases will go? Yup, you guessed it! right to your palate. So I guess screwcaps is it!

BTW - there's a NEW wine-in-a-box. Haven't tried it yet, but I will come July 4th and my annual winefest and bad wine contest.

welcome back pare! we miss you here. Hope we can get together again....

sure, tara! i'll be off to bora this holy week, i plan to bring my good bottles, hehe. i went to meet someone for lunch today, when i arrived, they ordered a bottle of two ocean (shiraz). i've checked and rechecked, the vintage is 2000! i did not made any comments. hehehe dito na lang. the resto is indian/asian/indonesian/chinese type. the wines are stored in a cabinet display, plus FTI sells that kind of wine on a bargain if its 2003 vintage, it should not be stored that long di ba? anyway, nakautang na naman ako tuloy ng tatlong bote - Amici Cab Sauv, Arrowood Syrah & merlot from the store i'm suppose to invite you guys.

Hi VG! There's a long-lost wino out in Vallejo as well - Eagleyes. He's been off the group for quite a while now! But welcome! I'm in the Bay Area as well, further down in Fremont. You're lucky that you're so much closer to Napa and Sonoma than I am. Makes for a good way to get to know wines in general.

i'm still here; although i live a little further up the road from vallejo :)

the wino description is spot on :P

i've been busy as always, but a bit more so lately

i was on vacation (carribean cruise) the first week and a half of the month and when i got back to work on the 13th, i gave my notice to leave the company effective the end of the month. yes, i will go on a permanent vacation and retire early. the retirement coincides with the turnover of my condo unit (serendra, the fort). i will be on my way to manila about mid april.

masi, i share agxo's sentiments. you should have called!

i'm still here; although i live a little further up the road from vallejo :)

the wino description is spot on :P

i've been busy as always, but a bit more so lately

i was on vacation (carribean cruise) the first week and a half of the month and when i got back to work on the 13th, i gave my notice to leave the company effective the end of the month. yes, i will go on a permanent vacation and retire early. the retirement coincides with the turnover of my condo unit (serendra, the fort). i will be on my way to manila about mid april.

masi, i share agxo's sentiments. you should have called!

You're retiring already? Good for you! I hope this doesn't mean you'll leave the area permanently! We haven't even had our EB here yet! I was hoping to do something when Masi comes over for vacation - soon? And I hear someone else from this group may be here in May or thereabouts. If that happens it will be cause for a day tour of one of the wine areas around here.

Portugal? Didn't know that! That's my new thing learned for this day. Cool!

I just have bad memories of wine in a box and how that was supposed to keep the wine fresher longer and so on. So that kinda drives my reaction to uncorks and other abominations. that and the fact that recycled plastic trends to outgas, and where do YOU think those toxic gases will go? Yup, you guessed it! right to your palate. So I guess screwcaps is it!

BTW - there's a NEW wine-in-a-box. Haven't tried it yet, but I will come July 4th and my annual winefest and bad wine contest.

Cork is a big industry in Portugal. Kaya nga with these new developments in wine closures medyo worried na mga tao dun. What will we do with all these oak barks? :D Another problem with cork is that it is expensive compared to screw caps and all those synthetic stoppers...

A good thing with screwcaps is that you don't have to lug around with a cork screw :D

Instinct tells me that that new wine-in-a-box you're saying belongs more properly to that annual bad- wine slugfest you have :P

pare you've been talking about Livermore. Is the Altamont Speedway still there? Brings back memories of that ugly free concert by the Rolling Stones back in '69.....Hell's Angels, stabbings, drunken sprees, maulings, a senseless death, drugs galore, bad music....