For Aussie rieslings, look for wines that come from the Clare Valley or Eden Valley, Clare Valley preferably. You'll never go wrong with this. Some sauvignon blanc from the Hunter Valley (Australia) would also be right up there, as NZ wines are not yet that widely-available here. Oregon pinots too - malabo kang makakita dito so look for some California pinots. These are all good wines, however you should be ready to spend from P600 to P1000 as the cheaper wines are quite risky and unpredictable....

Surprisingly, you can now find a lot of New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs here. Wine Depot has Villa Maria, Selaks, Nobilo, Montana, Fernleaf, and Drylands. Premium Wine Exchange has Dog Point, Neudorf, and Spy Valley. Even Santis now has Craggy Range. Most of these brands are highly rated in Wine Spectator.

The cheapest in the lot is Fernleaf Sauvignon Blanc at P400! It is good enough with aromas of herb but tastes a bit watered down. Nevetheless, this is a good wine for beginners who don't want to spend that much! This is, by the way, still better than most restaurant's or hotel's house wine.

bods1000, saang supermarket mo siya nakita? I don't know about the shiraz but the cab-shiraz is rated at 88 by Wine Spectator. Not bad at all!

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Daily_Wi...42,3584,00.html

I checked again and it was the Green Point Reserve Shiraz 2004 that got the 93 points from Wine Spectator. It is priced at $25!

Saan kaya ito mabibili dito sa Pinas?

I saw it at Makati Supermart in Alabang Town Center. It is distributed by Premiere Wines (in Pasong Tamo Ext). Am planning to go to Pasong Tamo - baka sakaling mas mura dun and they should have more selections. The last time I was there I saw a lot of wines not available in supermarkets.

Sabagay 2005 na yung Wine Spectator ko and it was the Green Point Victoria Shiraz 2003 that got a 93. I suppose the 2004 vintage they have here should not be that far off. That Green Point that you saw is a Reserve - pag may mga words nang RESERVE sa bote tumataas na presyo :P

Surprisingly, you can now find a lot of New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs here. Wine Depot has Villa Maria, Selaks, Nobilo, Montana, Fernleaf, and Drylands. Premium Wine Exchange has Dog Point, Neudorf, and Spy Valley. Even Santis now has Craggy Range. Most of these brands are highly rated in Wine Spectator.

The cheapest in the lot is Fernleaf Sauvignon Blanc at P400! It is good enough with aromas of herb but tastes a bit watered down. Nevetheless, this is a good wine for beginners who don't want to spend that much! This is, by the way, still better than most restaurant's or hotel's house wine.

yes those NZ wines have been around at Wine Depot for some time, but I'm still waiting for CLOUDY BAY :cool: Haven't been to Premium Wine - is this Ralph's? Anyway thanks for the tip - will check it out. Fernleaf yes, and it's also available at Robinsons Supermarket, by the way....

yeah wala ka talagang maaasahan sa restaurant wines. I used to sell wine, and except for Kaya which took my most expensive wine (a shiraz) all of them go for the cheapest which they brandish as their house wine.....I remember Gato Negro at this supposedly snooty bar :D

good day wine drinkers! i just started drinking wine for its health benefits.. im not really a wine drinker, but then, been reading about the benefits and want to start drinking everyday.. i have a few questions tho..

1) how much is considered healthy? keep in mind that i will drink this everyday..

2) will i still get the benefits regardless of wat brand i drink, as long as its red wine?

3) wats a good, cheap wine.. pls also consider that i will be drinking this everyday, and cant afford those 500 a bottle wine..

i recently bought the huge pack of penasol.. is that good enuf? thanx guys!

good day wine drinkers! i just started drinking wine for its health benefits.. im not really a wine drinker, but then, been reading about the benefits and want to start drinking everyday.. i have a few questions tho..

1) how much is considered healthy? keep in mind that i will drink this everyday..

2) will i still get the benefits regardless of wat brand i drink, as long as its red wine?

3) wats a good, cheap wine.. pls also consider that i will be drinking this everyday, and cant afford those 500 a bottle wine..

i recently bought the huge pack of penasol.. is that good enuf? thanx guys!

I read somewhere that 2 glasses of wine a day is found to be beneficial especially for women. But I don't think you should force yourself to drink just for the benefit of it. Drinking and exploring wine is a highly pleasurable activity and I believe it contributes to the well-being of the individual. A Happy man is a Healthy man.

Do try out the P200 Angove's wines at Wine Depot, it should be a good intro to a fabulous journey!

Edited by idunno
I read somewhere that 2 glasses of wine a day is found to be beneficial especially for women. But I don't think you should force yourself to drink just for the benefit of it. Drinking and exploring wine is a highly pleasurable activity and I believe it contributes to the well-being of the individual. A Happy man is a Healthy man.

Do try out the P200 Angove's wines at Wine Depot, it should be a good intro to a fabulous journey!

Amen to this - a happy man is a healthy man, and you're right. If you're gonna get into wine, better explore all that the wine world has to offer. Medicines might be a cheaper alternative, if it's just for medicinal purposes.

Coflicting ang medical reports lagi about the amount of wine you should consume to get optimal health benefits. But if you're just starting, a glass of wine should be good enough then you can "graduate" to two. Anything more than that might not be advisable.

Any brand would do, but you should avoid those that you might not enjoy. I might be biased here pero matagal na din akong nainom ng wine and I avoid Novellino, Franzia, Gato Negro, Sophia, Carlo Rossi. There's nothing wrong with these wines if all you're after is the alleged health benefits from red wine, but it might turn you off from trying out the other wines there.

Aside from the Angove's Butterfly Ridge mentioned, there's Two Oceans, or Lindemans Cawarra, or Banrock Station, or Kangaroo Ridge, or YellowTail - although these are more in the P350 range.

Check out this very interesting website:

http://www.beekmanwine.com/prevtopab.htm

THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF WINE

Wine’s Role in the “French Paradox” Receives Confirmation

How Wine Works: Emerging Research on Mealtime Alcohol Consumption

Women Wine Drinkers Have Fewer Kidney Stones

Moderate wine consumption cuts stroke risk

Regular, Moderate Alcohol Consumption Protects Against Atherosclerosis

Studies From Around the World Link Moderation to Longevity

Well-Established Cardiovascular Benefits of Moderation

Drinking Wine May Lower Risk for Upper Digestive Tract Cancer

Wine linked with lower lung cancer risk

Light-to-moderate alcohol intake may prevent stroke

One drink is good, more than two isn't

Study Suggests Why Red Wine Does a Heart Good

Moderate Drinking May Cut Women's Risk of Diabetes

Red Wine May Keep Prostate Cancer Cells in Check

Alcohol May Benefit Heart Attack Patients

Greetings everyone!

I really do miss this thread!!!! Haven't had much wine lately albeit I've been guzzling alot of beer. But so far my beer gut is still a "six-pack"!

Pareng Bods, Storm, Agxo, I've been passing up on too many ebs already. I've been very busy with a "start-up" company. I don't rest on corporate privileges anymore since I resigned from my work. It's a very liberating experience though.

Have a good one.

i do drink wine sometimes wen im out with friends.. tho feeling ko dila ko ndi kasing arte ng kanila.. like i said, i bought cheap wine the other day.. penasol.. dnt like it one bit.. pero sayang, so cge inomin narin.. carlo rossi and franzia for me is not bad.. not good either.. drinkable.. while penasol is not.. novelino, i wouldnt classify as wine actually.. its good, masarap, parang juice.. but not wine.. opinion ko lang..

im looking for something that i can drink everyday kasi, bcuz its healthy.. sa morning/ afternun i drink green tea.. at night, 1 glass of wine..

Greetings everyone!

I really do miss this thread!!!! Haven't had much wine lately albeit I've been guzzling alot of beer. But so far my beer gut is still a "six-pack"!

Pareng Bods, Storm, Agxo, I've been passing up on too many ebs already. I've been very busy with a "start-up" company. I don't rest on corporate privileges anymore since I resigned from my work. It's a very liberating experience though.

Have a good one.

Congratulations on your decision! May you have good fortune! The rules are for you to make and you now chart your own path! Cheers! (And don't forget us when you've conquered the world!)

i do drink wine sometimes wen im out with friends.. tho feeling ko dila ko ndi kasing arte ng kanila.. like i said, i bought cheap wine the other day.. penasol.. dnt like it one bit.. pero sayang, so cge inomin narin.. carlo rossi and franzia for me is not bad.. not good either.. drinkable.. while penasol is not.. novelino, i wouldnt classify as wine actually.. its good, masarap, parang juice.. but not wine.. opinion ko lang..

im looking for something that i can drink everyday kasi, bcuz its healthy.. sa morning/ afternun i drink green tea.. at night, 1 glass of wine..

Glad to know you've noticed what you like and dislike. Please feel free to taste what's available. It's very difficult for people to recommend a wine since we're not familiar with what you'd enjoy. Personally, I'd question the quality of a wine if it comes in a box or if the bottle has a screw cap instead of a cork. Also, wine's flavor is very delicate and is greatly influence by air. When exposed to air it's taste will begin to deteriorate so it's much better to finish the wine as soon as possible. Depending on the wine, it may last up to 4 days, after which you might not drink it anymore (pwede na lang gawing sawsawan ng chicharon).

I suggest you visit to a wine store and see what's available and at what price range. You can also ask for their assistance to recommend a wine that will suit your palate. Cheers!

Aside from the Angove's Butterfly Ridge mentioned, there's Two Oceans, or Lindemans Cawarra, or Banrock Station, or Kangaroo Ridge, or YellowTail - although these are more in the P350 range.

i agree. had Two Oceans @ Ziggurat last night and i loved it :thumbsupsmiley:

i got this laurent perrier grand siecle....whatever. its a gift from a family friend. mahal daw ito kaya display ko na lang.

That IS expensive, so if you display, make sure you display it ( and store it) properly so it does not go bad. If you can't display it in a well-protectected environment, then better to caref ully open it, enjoy the champagne, the carefully replace the cork and foil THEN display it!!!

I'm kinda different - I don't acquire or keep things (cars, wine, gadgets, anything else) as trophies to show off. I acquire things to enjoy, and use, and get pleasure or utitlity from them, and keep them only if the value increases by doing so, as in storing wine in a cool dark place so it matures rather than spoiling. Then I can drink it - and enjoy it later on, after it's gotten better. What's the point of showing it off? I'd rather enjoy it!

I just dropped by Wine Depot and was surprised to find out that they are on SALE up to Dec 31. They have several premium wines at 30% off. I bought a Pago Florentino - good bouquet with a long finish, hints of tobacco. A really good buy at Php 820!

I wanted to get the Kaesler Stonehorse Shiraz 2003 (Robert Parker 92pts) but unfortunately it sold out. Sayang it's only P1,075.

Hi guys!

A friend just mentioned that the drought in Australia this year is extremely strong, and that they expect that 2006 will be a bad year for their vineyards. Any info regarding this? This is from someone living in Adelaide, BTW.

I read the news of terrible brushfires there so the drought should really be that severe. Hot weather hastens the ripening of grapes - not that good really, parang minadali - so the wines will not come out that balanced, or the winemakers will have a hard time fashioning the wines according to their standards. It might be advisable to stay away from the 2006 vintage, at least for the more expensive ones. As for the low-priced wines, I don't think any weather has an effect - pare-pareho lagi lasa nila :D

G'day winos! Yup, do avoid Gato Negro, I bought my old man a bottle about a year ago and he didn't like it all. Christmas is just around the corner, got to visit Wine Depot soon and try out bods' Aussie wine suggestions.

yes, and Gato Negro is getting pretty expensive for a fermented grape juice. I remember it was just around the P250 range when it first came out but I think it's now about P350+. Your old man deserves better, pare.

There's an ongoing sale at Wine Depot now up to the end of the year, or until supplies last. Haven't been there, though...

Check out this very interesting website:

http://www.beekmanwine.com/prevtopab.htm

THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF WINE

Wine’s Role in the “French Paradox” Receives Confirmation

How Wine Works: Emerging Research on Mealtime Alcohol Consumption

Women Wine Drinkers Have Fewer Kidney Stones

Moderate wine consumption cuts stroke risk

Regular, Moderate Alcohol Consumption Protects Against Atherosclerosis

Studies From Around the World Link Moderation to Longevity

Well-Established Cardiovascular Benefits of Moderation

Drinking Wine May Lower Risk for Upper Digestive Tract Cancer

Wine linked with lower lung cancer risk

Light-to-moderate alcohol intake may prevent stroke

One drink is good, more than two isn't

Study Suggests Why Red Wine Does a Heart Good

Moderate Drinking May Cut Women's Risk of Diabetes

Red Wine May Keep Prostate Cancer Cells in Check

Alcohol May Benefit Heart Attack Patients

Greetings everyone!

Have a good one.

A very pleasant day to both of you!

Well, the season for good wines is upon us now, and however busy you may find yourself, please find the time to savor those excellent fruits of the vine, with or without your fellow winos :P

cheers! I'm sure we'll see each other again :D

i agree. had Two Oceans @ Ziggurat last night and i loved it :thumbsupsmiley:

.. it gets pretty expensive when you drink it outside, but very good company at the dining table more than makes up for that :) The Two Oceans I have at home is on its last legs - ubos na siguro sya tonight. In lieu of anything expensive associated with the wine and how I drink it at home, I just imagine I am at a rocky bluff in the Cape region of South Africa, there at the confluence of the Indian and the Atlantic Oceans (hence the name), the wind blowing whatever sparse hair I may still have :D