Happy New Year to all! And may the New Year bring you many new adventures with wine...... :)

For Christmas dinner, aside from the family, we had my daughters boyfriend, some friends, my brother and his family and my sister-in-law and her son come over and join us.

Cheese, locally-made salami and bresaola for appetizers along with cheese (aged edam, parmigiano reggiano, a truffled brie and a triple cream brie) and olives. Naturally, there was wine to wash it all down with. Lambrusco (an Italian RED sparkler, just off-dry), a California sparkler (J Brut 2003) and later, a Paso Robles white from Adelaide Cellars (a Rhone-style blend).

I roasted a 17-pound prime rib (bone-in, of course!) crusted with freshly grated horseradish, salt, fresh-cracked black pepper, olive oil, rosemary and thyme as the main course. Ham, salad, veggies, and other assorted tidbits to go with it. Dinner started off with a 1993 Chateau de Latour (nice!!!!) followed by a 1997 Retzlaff cab and finished off with a nice Conn Creek Bordeaux-style blend.

Dessert was sans rival, leche flan, cannoli (courtesy of my brother's wife - she's Italian/Polish), nuts and more cheese. A home-made port-style wine donated by my brother (made by a friend of his) capped it off.

Of course, everyone humg around just having a good time until the wee hours, so we popped open a few more bottles from my archives - another Retzlaff cab (99?? Hope it wasn't my '90!!), a Niebaum-Coppola cab franc (2002), and a Rombauer chardonnay (2001). Castanas, more cheese, more nuts, Christmas cookies, and more......

New Year's Eve was quiet - just me and my wife (we were both feeling a bit under the weather and didn't want to spread the germs around). But I opened (and had all to myself) a Cameron Hughes sparkling wine. For those who don't know - Cameron Hughes wines are sold only through Costco. Cameron hughes does not amke his own wine but buys (or contracts teh production of) wine from various local and European wineries. They are rated well (obviously not at the top, but solid middle-grade rankings) and offer a great value for the price. This sparkler was peachy and toasty with a slight nutty finish. Green apples on the nose (and a bit on the palate) hinting that the wine was made from chardonnay grapes. As is typical of the California style it was not as dry as the label would suggest, but it was definietly not sweet either. Creamy texture, nice small bubbles. Not bad, and a good way to ring in the New Year.

Happy New Year Guys!

Agxo, as always, your WR's make me hungry! A 17 pounder roast! Wow! How were you able to manage a 7-hour roast? I'm sure with your experience it would have come out fantastic!

BTW, your sour cream with horseradish sauce also goes well with the traditional christmas ham!

The closest I got to wine this holiday was in making the gravy for the roast prime rib. It was a 3kg bone in prime rib with a rock salt, garlic and freshly cracked black pepper rub. To infuse a subtle flavor, I placed the rosemary in the roasting pan with olive oil. I used half a bottle of wine (a cab sauv - I didn't look at the label since the doctors wont let me drink yet) to deglaze the pan (can't drink alcohol, but the doctor didn't say i can't inhale the vapors, hehehe).

Edited by floppydrive
Happy New Year Guys!

Agxo, as always, your WR's make me hungry! A 17 pounder roast! Wow! How were you able to manage a 7-hour roast? I'm sure with your experience it would have come out fantastic!

BTW, your sour cream with horseradish sauce also goes well with the traditional christmas ham!

The closest I got to wine this holiday was in making the gravy for the roast prime rib. It was a 3kg bone in prime rib with a rock salt, garlic and freshly cracked black pepper rub. To infuse a subtle flavor, I placed the rosemary in the roasting pan with olive oil. I used half a bottle of wine (a cab sauv - I didn't look at the label since the doctors wont let me drink yet) to deglaze the pan (can't drink alcohol, but the doctor didn't say i can't inhale the vapors, hehehe).

Hey FD! Your rub is pretty close to my crust. Next time, try finely chopping some rosemary and adding it to the mix, and thyme if you have it. Add enough olive oil to make a paste and pack it on pretty thick - about 1/4 in. thich. For the 17 lb. roast it took 2 cups of salt, 8 tbsp. of cracked black pepper, 16 sprigs of rosemary, 8 of thyme. And don't forget the 8 cloves of garlic also finely chopped! I used a roasting rack so there wasn't much to deglaze, but 2 cups of the Retzlaff and 2 cups of beef stock in the pan with the drippings made for a really, really nice au jus!. I tried the horseradish/sour cream sauce with the ham that night and you're right - it goes really nicely with the sweet-salty ham.

I'm lucky to have a really nice range - that Wolf does a nice job of roasting in the oven. Set it on convection roast at 325, then use the probe (set to 130) to cut off the oven when the roast was done. Let it rest while I was doing the au jus and, voila!, a feast fit for a king.

I've done the roast on the grill as well, over indirect heat and keeping an eye on the temperature, keeping it between 275 amd 325. that works pretty well, too! Even better is in the smoker - 275 for 6 hours (that was a 7 pounder). Wow - nice and crusty on the outside, perfectly red inside, but warm throughout. But Christmas was cold and Istanding in the cold outside keeping an eye on the smoker was not my idea of fun, so in the oven it went!

Opened a 1998 Chateau Druhart-Milon tonight and it was a BIG disappointment. Somewhere along the way (before I got it), it had been overheated. Evidence of the wine pushing up past the cork. Sour, nasty smelling. Blech! So I dumped it and opened an old standby - 1998 Retzlaff cab. Nice...........the wife made some butternut squash rvioli with a brown butter sauce and truffle relish. Wow!!! finshed the meal with wheat crackers and the truffled cheese. No wonder I'm gainig weight!!!

Edited by agxo3

A bit delayed response... Had a hard time with my Internet connection due to that Taiwan quake...

New Year's Eve: Had a Kilikanoon 2004 Oracle Shiraz. Rated 97 points by Robert Parker. Bought at a discount for only P1,700. Amazingly intense and complex. Different flavors comes out and finishes very long. Should have kept for several more years before opening (RP suggested 15 years!) but I can't wait that long...

Christmas Eve: Had a Kaesler 2003 Stonehorse Shiraz. Rated 92 points. Very inky and dense. Too good for P1,000.

Although I enjoyed those Aussie wines, I think I need to take a vacation from them and migrate to Napa Cabs or Bordeaux for a while...

Opened a 1998 Chateau Druhart-Milon tonight and it was a BIG disappointment. Somewhere along the way (before I got it), it had been overheated. Evidence of the wine pushing up past the cork. Sour, nasty smelling.

Found that I had ANOTHER Druhart-Milon - this one was a 2000.

So for dinner tonight we had New York strip steaks. As usual, 4 mintues on each side on a high flame then 8 or so minutes in the oven at 350 to finish it off. As usual, a perfect medium rare. My au jus from Christmas dinner (frozen to save it for now - half beef stock, half red wine, with the pan drippings from the rib thrown in for additional flavor). And yellow ustard on the side. As usual a great steak.

But the Bordeaux was great. Not a hint of being "cooked". Not a hint of exposure to air. 2000 was not a grea year for Bordeaux, but this was not bad at all! Round, complex, well-integratd tannins, lots of berries, a bit of smoke. Nice. The fat in the meat set t off nicely. A fine choice to go with a fine steak. I'm happy. And full. And I have a nice little buzz going.

After the day I had, I needed a good dinner with good wine!! (And deserved it, I might add!)

I thought 2000 was a classic year for Bordeaux?

You're right! I had 2000 on the brain (and a wistful feeling THAT was!) but I actually had a 2001. 2001 was challenging for Bordeaux but Duhart-Milon managed a good wine nonetheless. I had the opportunity to pick up a 2000 but passed on it (bad! bad!) so tasting the 2001 was a case of "what might have been".

hi! where can i read up on the different kinds of wine? i've always been meaning to learn. what does it mean when it says bordeaux, merlot, cabernet, etc...

There are many books on wine available at National Bookstore. Essentially, French wines are stated by region/places. Bordeux is a place, Burgundy is a place, and yes Champagne is a place. Wines from other countries like the U.S., Chile and Australia tend to label wines in accordance to the grapes they use, such as merlot, cabernet sauvignon and shiraz (among the popular varieties).

So when you hear Bordeux, chances are its a Cabernet Sauvignon grape with merlot combination.

In the end its all about what you like.

With all the new technology, like malo-lactic fermentation, I'm now encountering less and bad wines from non-French wines. Interestingly, since the French have always been traditionalists and maintain their old methods, I end up drinking their plonk sometimes. Nevertheless, the grand old Chateaus are still the benchmark of what wine should be.

Edited by boratsagdiyev

For subscribers of robert parker online or wine spectator --

Are they reviewing wines that are currently available in the Philippines?

For someone who consumes 2 bottles of wine per week, is it worth subscribing to either of them?

..... would certainly appreciate your thoughts on the matter ..... thanks! :)

Edited by sam_fisher

Hey guys!

Last Sat night was my first time to taste/drink what I think is "one of the real wines" (this is in comparison with the Carlo Rossi, Novellino kind of wine). I opened a bottle of 2004 Wolf Blass Yellow Label Merlot, paired it with Beef Lasagna and Beef Lumpia (me and my friends had a well-wish/despedida party for my fiance, sob!) AND IT WAS GREAT!!! The wine tasted like real grapes(hehehe), well-rounded, with a tad bit of chocolate. Its a bit hard to describe but for me its good. Kaya lang it leaves a puplish/blackish stain on your lips. I'm not really much of a wine savvy, but at P895.00/bottle, I believe the merlot is a good buy. I also have a Cabernet Sauvignon (same brand) and will try it next week (while playing poker).

This will be the start of my wine-drinking sessions. :cool:

For someone who consumes 2 bottles of wine per week, is it worth subscribing to either of them?

Hi! I buy back issues of Wine Spectator at less than Php 100. A few of the wines you can find here. Some of the info like ratings can leak out in the Web, so I live with that. Sometimes I don't find Wine Spec to be accurate. Like if there is a wine that is very lowly rated but you like the wine, then to hell with them. You are the best judge of the wine that you will drink anyway...

Guys,

Have you tasted any of the Chappellet wines? Any feedback? Are they worth your money?

If this is the Napa Valley Chappellet, then the answer is - they do decent wines. A tad expensive for the quality but they're consistent, at least. I've had a couple of their cabs and while I do like them, I would not rank them at the top of my list. I just think there are too many other good local wines and wineries that I have easier access to.

go to wine depot and request for a email subscription of their newsletter. they send it weekly with featured wines, tasting notes, etc.

most of the wines they review are not available here but their notes make for good reference. yes as idunno said, you can get back issues of Wine Spectator at Booksale (I get them at P30) and it doesn't matter if they're old issues as they are advanced there. The articles are worth reading....

Hey guys!

Last Sat night was my first time to taste/drink what I think is "one of the real wines" (this is in comparison with the Carlo Rossi, Novellino kind of wine). I opened a bottle of 2004 Wolf Blass Yellow Label Merlot, paired it with Beef Lasagna and Beef Lumpia (me and my friends had a well-wish/despedida party for my fiance, sob!) AND IT WAS GREAT!!! The wine tasted like real grapes(hehehe), well-rounded, with a tad bit of chocolate. Its a bit hard to describe but for me its good. Kaya lang it leaves a puplish/blackish stain on your lips. I'm not really much of a wine savvy, but at P895.00/bottle, I believe the merlot is a good buy. I also have a Cabernet Sauvignon (same brand) and will try it next week (while playing poker).

This will be the start of my wine-drinking sessions. :cool:

you're right about the Wolf Blass Yellow Label. I had a Yellow Label Shiraz during the holidays and it was a perfect counterpoint to all the fireworks around :D Really just divine - very fruit-driven.

I've recently developed this love for wines... it seems I can't eat a decent steak meal without some red wine with it... or some sea bass without some white wine...

but the thing is how do I really know if it's good wine?!

they all seem to somewhat taste the same... though every once in a while I notice a tinge of difference but I'm not really sure whether to consider it as a good or lousy wine

I had a 2006 Oxford Landing Sauvignon Blanc tonight to match with some "shake" (salmon) gohan, gyoza and wakame/cucumber salad.

The Sauv Blanc was well balance with vibrant blend of citrus (lemon lime) and that "famous" scent of freshly cut grass!

Hmmm, my tasting notes are rather dull at this time. I have to brush up on these... Wine EB, anyone?

I've recently developed this love for wines... it seems I can't eat a decent steak meal without some red wine with it... or some sea bass without some white wine...

but the thing is how do I really know if it's good wine?!

they all seem to somewhat taste the same... though every once in a while I notice a tinge of difference but I'm not really sure whether to consider it as a good or lousy wine

If you like the wine, it's good. If you don't like the wine, it's bad.

You can also try a blind tasting. Try comparing a Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (P2,000+) with an ordinary table red (<P500). I'm sure you'd be able to detect a difference.

A good wine will make you say WOW! :)