Had an 18-hour sojourn in Baguio and I just got back tonight. Had 2 glasses of Fleur de Cap, Cab Sauv 2001 South African over a boneless chicken inasal ala Billy King.

Pleasant body of sweet ripe berries, smoke and oak. Well balanced. Tannins were moderate. Finish was good and elegant.

A different Cab or was it the climate, cool 18-degrees, high humidity or was a cool bottle of SMB Lite before dinner that did the wine well.

Had a good, rich crema espresso and a cigar at the cigar room after. A totally fresh, stress free evening. Completely different from my usual sleep walking night which I've been having these past weeks.

Dudes,

How does Shochu (or shoju) differ from Sake?

It tastes different... more of vodka than sake

Shochu is your typical vodka or gin. It's made from potatoes and drank mixed with warm water and flavored with either calamansi or salted plum.

Goes well with yakiniku or sakana.

Dudes,

How does Shochu (or shoju) differ from Sake?

It tastes different... more of vodka than sake

Following up on the earlier exchange regarding sake, and Masi's posting above, soju / shochu is a distilled spirit - thus more akin to vodka. Sake is a wine. Technically, if you distill sake, you'd end up with something like soju.

Soju these days (especially the Japanese-produced ones) are running the gamut from rice as the base (traditional) to such things as sesame seeds and sweet potatoes (as well as various blends of said bases). Definitely differences in the bouquet and flaver depending on those factors.

sounds interesting, pare...are there more details?

this is like breaking away from the old pack, exciting din kc its new and the concept is like putting up a private wine club with membership i hope, within the city- this starts in bringing-in california wines plus the rest of the old world. i suggested some coppola wines, meron na bang distributor non dito satin? i have read from some old posts. its friday, and i'm having some variants since 10 am, puro red-whew. :blush: :thumbsupsmiley:

this is like breaking away from the old pack, exciting din kc its new and the concept is like putting up a private wine club with membership i hope, within the city- this starts in bringing-in california wines plus the rest of the old world. i suggested some coppola wines, meron na bang distributor non dito satin? i have read from some old posts. its friday, and i'm having some variants since 10 am, puro red-whew. :blush: :thumbsupsmiley:

as far as I know wala pang distrbutor dito ng Coppola wines. The latest Californian that was distributed here, again as far as I know, is Kendall-Jackson, of which Tita Trillo (?) is the importer. Care to join us this Sunday? Agxo is here...he is a true Coppola fancier :P

Following up on the earlier exchange regarding sake, and Masi's posting above, soju / shochu is a distilled spirit - thus more akin to vodka. Sake is a wine. Technically, if you distill sake, you'd end up with something like soju.

Soju these days (especially the Japanese-produced ones) are running the gamut from rice as the base (traditional) to such things as sesame seeds and sweet potatoes (as well as various blends of said bases). Definitely differences in the bouquet and flaver depending on those factors.

Thanks guys- Masi and New2dabeat!

Spurt - let me echo Bods' invitation. Come join us - and I'll fill you in on my favorite California wineries and wineries - of which there are too many to list. Coppola and other big names are good, no doubt about it! Coppola's Rubicon stands out as one of California's best. BUT - there are hundreds of small winemakers pricticing their art and their craft, and if you want a truly unique wine club, then an offering based on the wines these artists create and produce would be unbeatable!

i love shiraz, manamis namis kasi eh. :) i like sparkling wines too. i love martinis & champagnes. kung asti, di nakakasawa. :P

sayang!!! :cry: may wine eb pala... nagyon ko lang na-read :cry:

Too bad! Would have been nice to have you join us. "twas a very nice evening. Thanks, Bods and Storm, for coming out to have dinner with me. A great time as usual - good food, decent wine, great company.

With all the travel restrictions, it's almost impossible for me to bring any of my favorites to share with you - but I guess if I fill up a nice styrofoam six-pack and check it in........! Hmmmm - a six pack! There's a thought! But then we'd have to do at least TWO EBs! :P I could do that! So - that might be a plan for next time, eh?

I had lunch at Cirkulo. Started the usual tapas -- jamon serrano and fried little squid. Ceasar's salad ala Cirkulo which was something not really that great except for the slice of jamon in it.

Paella Valenciana for the main course. Many Spanish culinary experts say that true paella Valenciana does not have gisantes (green peas). But lo and behold this one had. So that speaks much of the kind of food they are trying to serve there. I would rate Cirkulo's paella 6-7 as La Tienda's and Patio Guernica still top my list at 7-8. I am still dreaming of the day to travel to Spain and do a gastronomic and culinary exploration.

Of course, no spanish meal would be complete without wine to wash down all that olive oil, spices and animal fat. So I had 2 glasses of Cirkulo's red wine, a Cuvee Rouge by George de Beouf, vin de pays.

I won't post my usual notes on this wine but this was a good enough wine to drink on a Thursday lunch.

The worst part was going back to the office at 2:30p.m. I was sleepy notwithstanding the double Lavazza espresso I had.

Bods, Storm, Agxo --- sorry I couldn't make it to the eb last Sunday. I just had to remain alcohol free so I could be sharp that Monday. But I'll definitely be good next time.

Lipstick- I was looking for the Spanish food thread but it's gone!

Edited by masi
The worst part was going back to the office at 2:30p.m. I was sleepy notwithstanding the double Lavazza espresso I had.

Bods, Storm, Agxo --- sorry I couldn't make it to the eb last Sunday. I just had to remain alcohol free so I could be sharp that Monday. But I'll definitely be good next time.

Masi - hey! I was sharp the next morning! At 11 am! :lol: Anyway - we missed you there, pare! But there's always next time!

by the way, the wines that will be on sale at Eastwood are from E&J Gallo Wines. Fyi....

Gallo.....so mga Turning Leaf ito. I won't mention Carlo Rossi anymore ooopps hehehe...

thanks pare I'll check it out malapit lang ito...

agxo - I see you're back now in the States. That was another great time we had with you kaya lang para tayong nagmamadali palagi - or maybe the restaurant hours here are not enough to accomodate the long sessions we have :P

pare next time, we see each other again. Thanks a lot and regards!

spurt is sending me some tickets to this Food Expo this month. They're participants. Thanks pare!

spurt has sent his regrets about not having been there last Sunday. Seems like he was out-of-town again. Sayang. But there's always a next time...

We missed a lot with that Toast at Rockwell. Nag-sale pala ng 30% ang wines dun.....

I had lunch at Cirkulo. Started the usual tapas -- jamon serrano and fried little squid. Ceasar's salad ala Cirkulo which was something not really that great except for the slice of jamon in it.

Paella Valenciana for the main course. Many Spanish culinary experts say that true paella Valenciana does not have gisantes (green peas). But lo and behold this one had. So that speaks much of the kind of food they are trying to serve there. I would rate Cirkulo's paella 6-7 as La Tienda's and Patio Guernica still top my list at 7-8. I am still dreaming of the day to travel to Spain and do a gastronomic and culinary exploration.

Of course, no spanish meal would be complete without wine to wash down all that olive oil, spices and animal fat. So I had 2 glasses of Cirkulo's red wine, a Cuvee Rouge by George de Beouf, vin de pays.

I won't post my usual notes on this wine but this was a good enough wine to drink on a Thursday lunch.

Lipstick- I was looking for the Spanish food thread but it's gone!

Hey, whatever happened to Spanish pride? French wine with paella and tapas? Wouldn't that bring out Don Quixote out of the pages of Cervantes' works charging? hehehe Senor, donde es el Tempranillo (or should that be "la tempranillo"?)?

Maybe you were really in a Spanish mood - It wouldn't really be a spanish lunch without the siesta afterwards. :D

Hey, whatever happened to Spanish pride? French wine with paella and tapas? Wouldn't that bring out Don Quixote out of the pages of Cervantes' works charging? hehehe Senor, donde es el Tempranillo (or should that be "la tempranillo"?)?

Maybe you were really in a Spanish mood - It wouldn't really be a spanish lunch without the siesta afterwards. :D

Yup!!! I was really expecting that the House wine would be at least Spanish Tempranillo but to my surprise their house labels were French and Australian!!!!! I didn't bother looking up the wine list as I wasn't just about to order a bottle.

Well, at least I have 1-less Spanish restaurant to go to now.

I should have insisted to my Japanese expat that we just go up to the 3rd floor at Tsukiji for a bento.

Spurt - let me echo Bods' invitation. Come join us - and I'll fill you in on my favorite California wineries and wineries - of which there are too many to list. Coppola and other big names are good, no doubt about it! Coppola's Rubicon stands out as one of California's best. BUT - there are hundreds of small winemakers pricticing their art and their craft, and if you want a truly unique wine club, then an offering based on the wines these artists create and produce would be unbeatable!

all i can say is sayang! well, there's always next time. i have seen a lot of small wineries in CA area, making some really good wines, the thing is, logistics, bringing those stuffs here would mean, taking small quanties from every cellar/wineries consolidating-thus making every bottle of it prohibitedly expensive. i know someone who once tried but the net landed cost per bottle in manila, whew- cheapest, US$ 40.