hi wine peeps... need your help. i have an american colleague who is here til next week. She is looking for local wines that she can bring back to the US as she collects local wines from the country she visits and sterm glasses. Please give me an idea where i can get Philippine local wines for her na magugustuhan nya at di sya mapapahiya sa mga friends nya. :) I am giving her GSM Blue as a friend advised me na masarap ito..though I know this is considered liquor nonetheless, pinoy pa rin. :)

Masi -- hope you are well. tried calling you the other day to ask about wines...but I guess you were too busy. :)

hi wine peeps... need your help. i have an american colleague who is here til next week. She is looking for local wines that she can bring back to the US as she collects local wines from the country she visits and sterm glasses. Please give me an idea where i can get Philippine local wines for her na magugustuhan nya at di sya mapapahiya sa mga friends nya. :) I am giving her GSM Blue as a friend advised me na masarap ito..though I know this is considered liquor nonetheless, pinoy pa rin. :)

Masi -- hope you are well. tried calling you the other day to ask about wines...but I guess you were too busy. :)

Maybe in 10 years time we will have a real Pinoy wine. It is not improbable to find a good spot and plant vinifera (grape used in wine). Baguio? Central Luzon?

In the meantime, I saw a mango-based wine/liquor that was concocted with the help of the French. I saw that in a food expo but haven't seen it since. Maybe the distribution is weak or maybe it is for export only.

Also, foreigners tend to like our local rhum, Tanduay Rhum. We might belittle this rhum but people outside actually are surprised by the quality of the product.

hi HBC,

go to Kultura (the Filipiniana section of SM), they sell a variety of locally produced wines - mango, strawberry, duhat. they also sell coconut wine which comes in ethnic packaging.

as for other liquor, get the Tanduay Rum Premium (blue label) which is available in SM grocery wine section.

hope this helps.

hi HBC,

go to Kultura (the Filipiniana section of SM), they sell a variety of locally produced wines - mango, strawberry, duhat. they also sell coconut wine which comes in ethnic packaging.

as for other liquor, get the Tanduay Rum Premium (blue label) which is available in SM grocery wine section.

hope this helps.

Whatever Tanduay Rhum you choose, please select those aged between 12 to 20 years old. This range, I would say, has the best price to quality ratio.

You may want to try "tapuy"

if i'm not mistaken, it's ilocano for local rice wine .... it's being marketed as a mainstream wine .....

last time i saw it (dec 2006) was in rustan's supermart ....

it tastes like mellowed gin with a kick ... but that's just me :)

Had a Shirazzy weekend with the Barossa Valley Estate Spires Shiraz (P800) and the Torbreck Woodcutters Shiraz (P1120). The Spires Shiraz was just right with the right amounts of juiciness and spiciness. The Woodcutters Shiraz, on the other hand, was a different animal having a more complex and meaty aroma, velvety mouthfeel, and a long delightful finish. Small difference in price, big difference in quality!

I would not be too sure about local wine especially when your requirement is: "hindi mapapahiya" but there is one liqueur that has been consistently well received:

Paradiso Mango Rhum Liqueur from Destilleria Limtuaco. Even the packaging is good. Priced below P500 in most liqour shops. Its almost like the mango version of Cointreau which is of course orange based.

Met up with Storm and family yesterday. He came up my way with another family (old friends from his high school days!).

Actually, Storm, family and friends stayed with us Sunday night - had dinner, drank some wine, got to sleep LATE! Dinner was simple - a couple of chateaubriands, dusted with salt, crushed black pepper, rosemary, garlic powder and a bit of chili powder then tossed on the grill for a bit. Talong and bell peppers roasted on the grill, some green beans with bacon and onions. Then the wine - a very young Spanish garnacha/tempraillo blend, a 2003 Chateau Souverain cab, and a 1995 Rubicon! Yes! Finally opened one. I loved it, but I will let Storm tell you all about it when he gets back. Then a dessert wine - a California port-style zinfandel. Sweet, dense, classic zin flavors. A nice way to end the evening.

Then yesterday, on to Napa and Sonoma. Got a late start. A stop at Hess Collection to taste the wine (ended up buying a bottle even though I fully intended NOT to!) and view the owner's collection of great modern American art (a treat for Storm). Lunch at Taylor's Automatic Refresher - a great burger joint despite the name (Storm's wife proclaimed it the best burger she'd ever had), and a St. Helena landmark.

On to Geyserville in Sonoma County where we stopped by the newly-named Coppola winery - Rosso and Bianco. It's the former Chateau Souverain - so that wine we had for dinner was well-chosen as one of the last of that great old label. Tasted their current releases but didn't buy anything. Ended the day at J Winery in Healdsburg. One of my current faves, it offers a tasting that pairs 4 of their wines with bites of appetizers specially selected to compliment the wines. Normally a $25 per person tasting but since I'm a wine club member, it's free for up to four! How fortunate! I also picked up my May shipment and plan to enjoy at least one of them this weekend. The day ended with dinner (and no wine at dinner! At least for me and Storm - his friend had some.) at the market Bar and Grill at the San francisco Ferry Building.

I hope Storm had a good time. We only stopped by 3 wineries, but they got a tour of the two most famous wine regions in California. No Livermore visit this time - I had hoped to do that sunday afternoon but they got to the Bay Area 3:30 pm and the wineries in Livermore close at 4 pm. Oh, well, there's always next time!

Met up with Storm and family yesterday. He came up my way with another family (old friends from his high school days!).

Actually, Storm, family and friends stayed with us Sunday night - had dinner, drank some wine, got to sleep LATE! Dinner was simple - a couple of chateaubriands, dusted with salt, crushed black pepper, rosemary, garlic powder and a bit of chili powder then tossed on the grill for a bit. Talong and bell peppers roasted on the grill, some green beans with bacon and onions. Then the wine - a very young Spanish garnacha/tempraillo blend, a 2003 Chateau Souverain cab, and a 1995 Rubicon! Yes! Finally opened one. I loved it, but I will let Storm tell you all about it when he gets back. Then a dessert wine - a California port-style zinfandel. Sweet, dense, classic zin flavors. A nice way to end the evening.

Then yesterday, on to Napa and Sonoma. Got a late start. A stop at Hess Collection to taste the wine (ended up buying a bottle even though I fully intended NOT to!) and view the owner's collection of great modern American art (a treat for Storm). Lunch at Taylor's Automatic Refresher - a great burger joint despite the name (Storm's wife proclaimed it the best burger she'd ever had), and a St. Helena landmark.

On to Geyserville in Sonoma County where we stopped by the newly-named Coppola winery - Rosso and Bianco. It's the former Chateau Souverain - so that wine we had for dinner was well-chosen as one of the last of that great old label. Tasted their current releases but didn't buy anything. Ended the day at J Winery in Healdsburg. One of my current faves, it offers a tasting that pairs 4 of their wines with bites of appetizers specially selected to compliment the wines. Normally a $25 per person tasting but since I'm a wine club member, it's free for up to four! How fortunate! I also picked up my May shipment and plan to enjoy at least one of them this weekend. The day ended with dinner (and no wine at dinner! At least for me and Storm - his friend had some.) at the market Bar and Grill at the San francisco Ferry Building.

I hope Storm had a good time. We only stopped by 3 wineries, but they got a tour of the two most famous wine regions in California. No Livermore visit this time - I had hoped to do that sunday afternoon but they got to the Bay Area 3:30 pm and the wineries in Livermore close at 4 pm. Oh, well, there's always next time!

Wow, Storm stormed Napa Valley!! We should have a welcome back EB with Storm!

hi, im a collector of vintage bordeaux wines. anybody know places to buy at good prices (apart from santis or terrys)?

my recommendation for good cheap red wine is Madfish

Hi stoked! Bacchus might have the most extensive Bordeaux wines in Manila. They are located in Makati Shangri-La.

Premium Wine Exchange has a lot of good California and Oregon wines. They are located in Pasong Tamo Extension in Makati. Same street as Terrys in Makati.

Wine Depot with many branches has all the good Australian wines. Best price/performance! In Makati, they are in Yakal St.

We really had a wonderful time. Many many thanks and also my warmest regards to mrs agxo. Have to go to San Diego. We'll definitely post a more detailed FR when I have more time. Cheers. Grabe sasarap ng mga wines specially we were with the guru. :thumbsupsmiley:

Wow...I didn't realize I last posted in this thread around three years ago.....I guess I really just don't visit this website all too often.

I see that the level of wine appreciation in this forum is quite high so I'll let you in on a little secret. Our family owns two wineries.....Kiralyudvar (Hungarian) and Domaine Huet (French). Kiralyudvar makes Tokaji....it's a relatively new winery (founded 2000) but the reviews have been great (consistently 90+ on Wine Spectator). A more recent acquisition in Domaine Huet which is a legendary Vouvray producer. Both wineries are well-known for their sweet wines but also make excellent semi-sweet and dry wines.

A limited range of our wines are available at Bacchus....or if you guys can organize an EB, I can bring a few bottles.

Maybe in 10 years time we will have a real Pinoy wine. It is not improbable to find a good spot and plant vinifera (grape used in wine). Baguio? Central Luzon?

In the meantime, I saw a mango-based wine/liquor that was concocted with the help of the French. I saw that in a food expo but haven't seen it since. Maybe the distribution is weak or maybe it is for export only.

Also, foreigners tend to like our local rhum, Tanduay Rhum. We might belittle this rhum but people outside actually are surprised by the quality of the product.

oh i see....will take note po.

hi HBC,

hope this helps.

Hi Masi..been awhile. will check Kultura then. am sure my friend will like it. hmmm blue label Tanduay .. ok noted. ;)

Whatever Tanduay Rhum you choose, please select those aged between 12 to 20 years old. This range, I would say, has the best price to quality ratio.

hmmm how will i know? in the label? sorry for this stupid question ... i don't drink kasi coz i have bad allergy with alcohol :blink:

You may want to try "tapuy"

if i'm not mistaken, it's ilocano for local rice wine .... it's being marketed as a mainstream wine .....

last time i saw it (dec 2006) was in rustan's supermart ....

it tastes like mellowed gin with a kick ... but that's just me :)

thanks for the info..will check rustan's too.

I would not be too sure about local wine especially when your requirement is: "hindi mapapahiya" but there is one liqueur that has been consistently well received:

Paradiso Mango Rhum Liqueur from Destilleria Limtuaco. Even the packaging is good. Priced below P500 in most liqour shops. Its almost like the mango version of Cointreau which is of course orange based.

will check that out...thanks a lot.

Wow...I didn't realize I last posted in this thread around three years ago.....I guess I really just don't visit this website all too often.

I see that the level of wine appreciation in this forum is quite high so I'll let you in on a little secret. Our family owns two wineries.....Kiralyudvar (Hungarian) and Domaine Huet (French). Kiralyudvar makes Tokaji....it's a relatively new winery (founded 2000) but the reviews have been great (consistently 90+ on Wine Spectator). A more recent acquisition in Domaine Huet which is a legendary Vouvray producer. Both wineries are well-known for their sweet wines but also make excellent semi-sweet and dry wines.

A limited range of our wines are available at Bacchus....or if you guys can organize an EB, I can bring a few bottles.

You're on. Stay tuned...

how will i know? in the label? sorry for this stupid question ... i don't drink kasi coz i have bad allergy with alcohol :blink:

Tanduay Rum has the age of the rhum printed on the box and bottle somewhere. To be more specific, I'd recommend 3:

1. Tanduay Rum Superior which comes in a black box. It's 12 years old. "Cognac" flavor of rum.

2. Tanduay Rum in the oak barrel (literally sold in a 1.5 liter barrel with spigot) - 18 years old.

3. Tanduay Rum 1854 (the one in a clear white plastic box with a blue label) - blended rum of varying age but the taste is magnificent!

Not recommended: Tanduay Rum Centennial - 20 year old run in a special wooden box and hand painted 1liter lapad bottle. At 1,500 per bottle you're better off with 1 or 3.

Wow, I am looking forward to attend this EB! To celebrate the independence of the Philippines! (Or to celebrate the success of your favorite winning senators...)

Edited by idunno
Wow, I am looking forward to attend this EB! To celebrate the independence of the Philippines! (Or to celebrate the success of your favorite winning senators...)

Or to lament the loss of favorite senatorial candidates. Anyway, you guys set it up. Ambag ako ng isang "Grand Cru".

Edited by boomouse

Seems that everyone is super-busy...

There is a new resto/deli in 6750 called Gaster. Probably still owned by Tony Boy Cojuangco...

They have a decent wine list. A lot more of the affordable and commercial wines. Maybe their list will improve. The GOOD THING here though is you can have their wines at the same price when you dine. Haven't tried their food but I heard that it is good.

I hate it when restaurants charge you P1000 for a P200-supermarket wine...

Just got back from USA. It seems everybody's busy. Anyway, I'm so tired that I need another vacation.

Australian wines are cheaper in the US than in our beloved Pinas. Based on the current exchange rate, the price there is about 30% cheaper.