Tonight I had, as dinner guest, my favorite and astute political analyst.  Over a few simple dishes which i prepared, we had a bottle of Adelsheim Vineyard Oregon Pinot Noir 2003 (Willamette Valley).  Man, I must say, you never had a Pinot Noir until you had one from Willamette Valley! :P

Transluscent carmine visual, nose was a mid to full vibrant bouquet of red berries with hints of a oak spice.  Pretty long legs, too, just my type... especially if she was a lady :blush: ... hehehehehhe!

Body was superb!  :thumbsupsmiley:  An evolving complexity of the berries and spice.  Simply lovely!  :wub: Finish was medium, hardly any tannins but lingering.  Sad part was I only had 1 bottle! :cry:

Over a cup of Jamaican blue mountain coffee, we capped the evening (mind you, no political talk this time), with a shot of Tawny Port. B)

My kind of night! :thumbsupsmiley:

(Oh, I have to mention this... my wifey helped me prepare dinner! :boo: )

pare that's a label worth collecting - better not throw the bottle yet until agxo's adhesive arrives :P

great seeing you today, pare!

Bods!!!!!  Hahaha we both are now officially parents of soon-to-be college kids! :blink:  My daughter is taking Humanities and we were there yesterday for the open house.  I love the curriculum and wished I was the one going to college!  What's your son taking this freshman year (obviously none of the Humanities courses otherwise I would have seen you yesterday)?

x x x x

Ola Winos!  Lovely weather today to enjoy a good drop of red ;)  Or white even!  :thumbsupsmiley:

either they have no open house or I did not peruse the kit that well - after all I'm hopelessly inept with school matters :goatee:

Yes, how time flies - parang the memory of me as a college freshman is still fresh in my mind then here comes my kid - college na pala! Exciting din pala - how I wish he could take those other Humanities courses like Lit or that PreDivinity which continually mystifies me - looks like something I would take if I were transported back 30 years hehe...He's taking a business course....

pare that's a label worth collecting - better not throw the bottle yet until agxo's adhesive arrives :P

either they have no open house or I did not peruse the kit that well - after all I'm hopelessly inept with school matters :goatee:

Yes, how time flies - parang the memory of me as a college freshman is still fresh in my mind then here comes my kid - college na pala! Exciting din pala - how I wish he could take those other Humanities courses like Lit or that PreDivinity which continually mystifies me - looks like something I would take if I were transported back 30 years hehe...He's taking a business course....

Time flies when you're having fun! My daughter is on her own now, trying to make it in Hollywood as a screenwriter. In the meantime, she does lighting for various crews to pay the bills........what a tough life. But, it's her choice and she's really into it!!

Nice label - definitely a keeper. The 2003 pinots are a mite young still, although many of the wineries do make their wines in a "drink now" style. I've heard good things about them, though, so this is yet another indicator that I should go pick up a bottle or three.

Bods - you want me to go pick up some of that adhesive label stuff? Won't be until I get back home. I am now in glorious Taiwan - here for 10 days. I get to spend a weekend here. :( Oh, well, we do what we must......

Senyorrrr Masi how art daw :lol:  Check out the cheesecake thread, hehe you will hate me for the temptation posted. :P  But I reckon it would go down well with a Port. :D

Hi Lipstick! Yup! Saw the cheesecake pics!!! I've learned to mortify the sense in more ways than :hypocritesmiley: :boo:

Yup, pare, it was really nice to see you and the family yesterday. Thank you for the arrangement. As always, good service and great food!!!!

Congratulations! Lipstick and you should be beaming with pride with your children getting into the "Blue School in QC"! :thumbsupsmiley:

Time flies when you're having fun! My daughter is on her own now, trying to make it in Hollywood as a screenwriter. In the meantime, she does lighting for various crews to pay the bills........what a tough life. But, it's her choice and she's really into it!!

Nice label - definitely a keeper. The 2003 pinots are a mite young still, although many of the wineries do make their wines in a "drink now" style. I've heard good things about them, though, so this is yet another indicator that I should go pick up a bottle or three.

Bods - you want me to go pick up some of that adhesive label stuff? Won't be until I get back home. I am now in glorious Taiwan - here for 10 days. I get to spend a weekend here.  :(  Oh, well, we do what we must......

your daughter made the right choice, albeit unconventional, but in life you really have to follow your muse. Melding love for writing and love for the movies and turning it into hopefully a career is something some of us here will give an arm and a leg to - if given the chance, but we have to earn a living first so here we are :D Anyway we still get to follow our muse, and that is the fruit of the vine :thumbsupsmiley:

agxo, there's no hurry for the adhesive stuff. Kung may madadala ka lang when you get to visit us here again would be fine with us. Thanks a lot pare!

Hi Lipstick!  Yup!  Saw the cheesecake pics!!!  I've learned to mortify the sense in more ways than  :hypocritesmiley:  :boo:

Yup, pare, it was really nice to see you and the family yesterday.  Thank you for the arrangement.  As always, good service and great food!!!!

Congratulations!  Lipstick and you should be beaming with pride with your children getting into the "Blue School in QC"! :thumbsupsmiley:

Whatever I can do for you, pare!

Yes, beaming with pride but washed over by anxiety and apprehension over how the kids will face 4 totally new years. Ganito pala yun pare - parang mas nerbyoso pa kami. But I think it's more of being apprehensive that our kids will never get to do the shenanigans we once did in college - God forbid! :P

Plus the fact that's it's a school we're unfamiliar with - not having gone there ourselves in college hehehe.

Have a great, stress-free week, pare! Give me a ring if anything will push through this weekend :rolleyes:

Edited by bods1000

Hello friends!

Hope we can meet this week either in the gallery or in our house in QC. I prefer in the gallery this Friday.

Have a great week! Crash won in the Oscars as best picture. :thumbsupsmiley:

Congrats to Bods and lipstick. I hope your kids will have a grand time in the blue school! College days are the best.

Whatever I can do for you, pare!

Yes, beaming with pride but washed over by anxiety and apprehension over how the kids will face 4 totally new years. Ganito pala yun pare - parang mas nerbyoso pa kami. But I think it's more of being apprehensive that our kids will never get to do the shenanigans we once did in college - God forbid! :P

Plus the fact that's it's a school we're unfamiliar with - not having gone there ourselves in college hehehe.

Have a great, stress-free week, pare! Give me a ring if anything will push through this weekend :rolleyes:

Pare, I should say let's drink to that! Hurt, anxiety, happiness, etc. are all part of life. Just imagine how it would be without!!! :mellow: So far everyone I know from our alma mater who went to the "arrrrreneo" did well!! thanks to the solid education you and the wifey gave them.

Kaya, like what I said, "let's drink to that!!!!" :thumbsupsmiley:

How many of you guys and gals save the labels of the wines you consume?  I'm planning to start a wine journal where I intend to place the label.

Please share your tips on how to lift the label from the bottle without tearing it! I tried pouring boiling water into the bottle.  This is the trick I use to remove stickers from the windshields, but, alas, it won't do!

Every wine we bring in has to have a separate label for BIR purposes, when filed for excise tax, we have to show the amoun t of alcohol content & also for BFAD purposes, what we do is ask the supplier to have an extra label of each and every wine variant. this doesn't answer you masi, hehehe. i even have the chemical analysis sometimes on record of some dom perignon & moet & chandon. but i think soaking the label on any liquid will destroy some prints on the labels specially if you soak in overnight, just a thought.

Every wine we bring in has to have a separate label for BIR purposes, when filed for excise tax, we have to show the amoun t of alcohol content & also for BFAD purposes, what we do is ask the supplier to have an extra label of each and every wine variant. this doesn't answer you masi, hehehe. i even have the chemical analysis sometimes on record of some dom perignon & moet & chandon. but i think soaking the label on any liquid will destroy some prints on the labels specially if you soak in overnight, just a thought.

Hi Spurt, though not what I really had in mind, it would be interesting to know the chemical analysis of a DOM (no bods, not the same DOM that you are thinking :lol: ). who knows some enterprising loco may come up with a chemically generated sparkler that would give the dark green bottled Benedictine a run for its money (although, this holy ordered chap has a long long headstart)! :wacko:

a good ad would be "DOM ako, ikaw DOM ka na rin ba?" what say you about the line, miss lips? ;)

Pare, I should say let's drink to that!  Hurt, anxiety, happiness, etc. are all part of life.  Just imagine how it would be without!!! :mellow:  So far everyone I know from our alma mater who went to the "arrrrreneo" did well!! thanks to the solid education you and the wifey gave them.

Kaya, like what I said, "let's drink to that!!!!" :thumbsupsmiley:

hehehe another reason to drink :P

Let's go, pare! Let's drink to your common high school alma mater - that's the source of their solid education!

Hi Spurt, though not what I really had in mind, it would be interesting to know the chemical analysis of a DOM (no bods, not the same DOM that you are thinking :lol: ).  who knows some enterprising loco may come up with a chemically generated sparkler that would give the dark green bottled Benedictine a run for its money (although, this holy ordered chap has a long long headstart)! :wacko:

a good ad  would be "DOM ako, ikaw DOM ka na rin ba?"  what say you about the line, miss lips? ;)

I also had extra labels when I used to import wines, plus their chemical analyses. The chemical analyses were a good read - gives you more ammunition when you make your sales pitch.

Each country's food bureaus require a chemical analyses of the wines but suffice it to say that wines should not be treated as a chemical product but more of an agricultural product. Unfortunately some manufacturers treat their wines as more of a chemical product, without the requisite love and art that should go in making it. So we have a profusion of weak and bad wines now.....

Try steaming it. Fried of mine uses a hand steamer (the type used on creased suits etc.).

Its a little tedious but usually does the trick. keep a towel handy to remove excess moisture frm the label. ;)

I also had extra labels when I used to import wines, plus their chemical analyses. The chemical analyses were a good read - gives you more ammunition when you make your sales pitch.

Each country's food bureaus require a chemical analyses of the wines but suffice it to say that wines should not be treated as a chemical product but more of an agricultural product. Unfortunately some manufacturers treat their wines as more of a chemical product, without the requisite love and art that should go in making it. So we have a profusion of weak and bad wines now.....

that's true, wine is an agricultural product, its not from an inorganic material, sobrang technical, i just need to add this, didn't you guys know that to have wines registered with BFAD, you have to pay Php 6,500.00 per variant/bottle, to :grr: have tested for whatever by BFAD, and the result if you passed or sort of received the go to sell locally you have to wait 2 f***king years! :thumbsdownsmiley:

that's true, wine is an agricultural product, its not from an inorganic material, sobrang technical, i just need to add this, didn't you guys know that to have wines registered with BFAD, you have to pay Php 6,500.00 per variant/bottle, to  :grr: have tested for whatever by BFAD, and the result if you passed or sort of received the go to sell locally you have to wait 2 f***king years!  :thumbsdownsmiley:

very true!

that's why I quit the f**king business of selling wines :grr:

This BFAD stuff for imported wines is a little stupid becaue I told them the wines we were bringing in have already passed the food/sanitary/hygienic requirements of their countries of origins - they would't allow the exportation of their wines unless they pass these stringent measures. Nakita ko yung mga standards nila talagang mahigpit, lalo na sa Australia compared to the BFAD requirements here which were laughable. So why subject them to food requirements again here - standards which are insipid when applied to wines. Ang mahal pati tsaka you have to go back and forth to far Alabang to submit papers, forms etc plus pay the exorbitant fees plus wait for 2 years nga kung minsan. WTF, ayoko na - iinom na lang ako ng wine, hindi na ako magtitinda!

again, many thanks for the warm hospitality of mr. and mrs. masi last night...

pare, your chili con carne is to die for - that's the best thing I can remember from last night, plus the wines of course, which again I leave to pareng masi to dissect. All I can say is that it was heavenly to have tasted again Bin 555 :D

cheers!

thanks to for mr. and mrs. storm for the great company!

sa uulitin, fellow winos!

Have a great weekend!

a while back when crabs mysteriously entered some discussions, I was wondering what wine would sit well with crustaceans.

I think I finally got the answer thanks to some book I'm reading, though I'm not sure if I can find the wine here.

It is an Austrian varietal called Gruner Veltliner (I hope I got that right) and I read it goes well with lobsters, crabs dishes anad shrimps. Anybody here familiar with this varietal?

Aside from being a good match with crustaceans it is purportedly great with vegetables - a food group notoriously fickle with wines. Now I have to get back to the book again to get more details, ayt!

I have to try this wine as crustaceans and veggies are on the top of my food faves. :D

very true!

that's why I quit the f**king business of selling wines :grr:

This BFAD stuff for imported wines is a little stupid becaue I told them the wines we were bringing in have already passed the food/sanitary/hygienic requirements of their countries of origins - they would't allow the exportation of their wines unless they pass these stringent measures. Nakita ko yung mga standards nila talagang mahigpit, lalo na sa Australia compared to the BFAD requirements here which were laughable. So why subject them to food requirements again here - standards which are insipid when applied to wines. Ang mahal pati tsaka you have to go back and forth to far Alabang to submit papers, forms etc plus pay the exorbitant fees plus wait for 2 years nga kung minsan. WTF, ayoko na - iinom na lang ako ng wine, hindi na ako magtitinda!

i somehow know the guys here doing the selling, and i also know that this requirement is not practical at all. BFAD people even doesn't know the difference between the old world wines & the new world wines, hehehe. so we sell it as it is. i totally agree with you, let drink na lang. :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

again, many thanks for the warm hospitality of mr. and mrs. masi last night...

pare, your chili con carne is to die for - that's the best thing I can remember from last night, plus the wines of course, which again I leave to pareng masi to dissect. All I can say is that it was heavenly to have tasted again Bin 555 :D

cheers!

thanks to for mr. and mrs. storm for the great company!

sa uulitin, fellow winos!

Have a great weekend!

sorry for this delayed post, pareng bods! at any rate, better late than never. well, bods, storm, mrs. storm, liberty and i met up last weekend for some impromptu eb. each one had a bottle in tow.

Prahova Valley Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 Dealul Mare Region Romania. mid-dark red with aromas of smoke, caramel and berries. body was mild with enough tannins expected of a cab sauv. finish was moderate.

Cape Jaffa 2001 Shiraz - Deep red (violet, in fact). Any and everything you would expect from an Australian Shiraz. Rich dark berries and peppery spice. Body was full and tannins were moderate notwithstanding its peppery spice structure. Finish was moderate as well.

Wyndham Estate Bin 555 Shiraz 2002 - Like much of Australian Shiraz, this had the deep red tones aroma and body of what Australian Shiraz ought to be. Rich berries and the proportionate amount of peppery spice. Finish was moderate as well.

It never fails to make me wonder why wine savvy evenings are highlighted by discussions of wine over the wines we imbibe. Talk of food and recipes over food we consume! :wacko:

Maybe my fellow winos can explain... bods, storm, what say you!?

Some nice port or madeira wine would do...

Too bad we can't get good port or madeira wine in Manila...

now i really don't know what you mean exactly when you say you can't get a good port in Manila. i really think it depends on where you get it. of course there is tawny port which you can get between P700 to 900 a bottle. I recently bought one a at P1800. If this is good, I would not know. I am not much a port drinker but one thing I know, it sure is more expensive the the usual scotch whiskey I drink which comes in a black box!

For Madeira, I haven't tried this stuff.

Give us some labels so we'll try to look for it in the wine and gourmet shops here.

Edited by masi

As I'm writing this, I'm holding on to a bottle of Chehalem 3 Vineyard 2003 Pinot Noir from Willamette Valley...

Will crack this a few days before I fly home to Manila...

About the Port and Madeira, I've had the rare chance to visit Porto and Madeira when my cruise vessel was doing Europe before we crossed the pond back to the US. I really can't remember the names but I do remember that the most popular one is tawny port. We also checked out the rare white port wine... I like tawny port more...

Madeira wine is lighter and less sweet than port