Hi guys!

I think I saw a Wolf Blass Shiraz a few months back going for around PhP1,700.  Not too sure if its a Gray Label, though.

Had a Hardy's Merlot 2003 the other night.  What's diferent was that they served it at aroung 18 to 20 degrees.  Wow!  It made a huge difference!  It had a fuller taste, though the tannins were not so strong (it's a Hardy's).

That sounds about right - ~$34 retail would be close to $90 in a high end restaurant, which the steak place at the Formosa REgent definitely is!

Don't see Haredy's much out this way, at least not in the stores I go to! Lots of Yellow Tail, though! Yelolow Tail seems to be uneven in quality - sometimes good, sometimes barely drinkable.......

Am drinking this Kangaroo Ridge Shiraz I got last Sunday. "Rewardingly soft" as it says on the bottle, and quite peppery too, like the comedians on this page :D

cheers!

Kangaroo Ridge - yet another Aussie wine I don't see here! OTOH, we're beginning to see more syrah/shiraz from local wineries now. Gotta start tasting those!

Kangaroo Ridge - yet another Aussie wine I don't see here! OTOH, we're beginning to see more syrah/shiraz from local wineries now. Gotta start tasting those!

It's also quite new here -from a distributor which I haven't heard of before. It says on the label that their vineyard is carefully guarded by the many kangaroos that thrive in the nearby hillsides :blink:

It's also quite new here -from a distributor which I haven't heard of before. It says on the label that their vineyard is carefully guarded by the many kangaroos that thrive in the nearby hillsides :blink:

Boy, those kangaroos really know Australia's assets! Maybe we can apply as kangaroo keepers or "guards" as well! I wonder how long before they fire us for "taking care" of the wine? :D

Parang Vodka Mudshake ba ang Baileys?

well I'm not sure what a mudshake is, pare, but a vodka mudshake is a mixed drink whose main component is vodka. Bailey's, as has been mentioned above, is a licquer. If I'm not mistaken it is not taken alone but is best mixed in with other drinks. A vodka is a spirit. I don't know if anybody has tried mixing vodka with Bailey's - I'm sure there's always a first time,but it could be earthshaking. A handshake to you if you can concoct, and yes, drink such a mixture.

cheers!

Hi guys!

I think I saw a Wolf Blass Shiraz a few months back going for around PhP1,700.  Not too sure if its a Gray Label, though.

Had a Hardy's Merlot 2003 the other night.  What's diferent was that they served it at aroung 18 to 20 degrees.  Wow!  It made a huge difference!  It had a fuller taste, though the tannins were not so strong (it's a Hardy's).

you saw it right, pare. The Wolf Blass Grey Label at the Makati Supermart goes for P1650. If I'm not mistaken their Yellow Label is the cheapest at around P570 while the Red Label hits the middle at around P700+. Not bad for such good wines.

well I'm not sure what a mudshake is, pare, but a vodka mudshake is a mixed drink whose main component is vodka. Bailey's, as has been mentioned above, is a licquer. If I'm not mistaken it is not taken alone but is best mixed in with other drinks. A vodka is a spirit. I don't know if anybody has tried mixing vodka with Bailey's - I'm sure there's always a first time,but it could be earthshaking. A handshake to you if you can concoct, and yes, drink such a mixture.

cheers!

Bailey's and vodka = White Russian

vodka+Kahlua = Black Russian

No idea what goes into a mudshake, but I imagine it has Kahlua and/or creme de cacao, most likely vodka, perhaps some chocolate syrup or something like that, maybe even some Bailey's but who kknows? If you reall want to know, andreann, Google it and find out! This is a WINE group, not a licquer/hard liquor/beer group, so we really are the wrong people to ask.

No idea what goes into a mudshake, but I imagine it has Kahlua and/or creme de cacao, most likely vodka, perhaps some chocolate syrup or something like that, maybe even some Bailey's but who kknows? If you reall want to know, andreann, Google it and find out! This is a WINE group, not a licquer/hard liquor/beer group, so we really are the wrong people to ask.

It just so happens I have a Vodka Mudshake bottle in the ref. It's a new line of drinks by the vodka makers for the mixed drink crowd, similar to "The Bar" of the 80's (remember that? :D ). I think the mudshake is by Smirnoff. Will open it up later and see what's it all about.

I prefer vodka straight, served chilled at 0 C than the current trend of having mixed vodka drinks in bottles, but I guess it's a new niche market for the party crowd who prefer beer. It's alcohol content is around 5% only, compared to real vodka at 40%.

Para hindi OT, had a Sangiovese Farnese at a party the other day. I think they left it out in the sun or something for too long. It was a bit on the acidic side already, but still drinkable - still had a great finish.

so meron pala talagang Bailey's and vodka but agxo is right - we don't know much about mixed drinks. I think there's a thread about cocktails here.....

Padaan lang.

Dito sa thread ako na-educate sa wine. Pero I'm in prep pa lang. Nag-eenjoy while learning the basics.

Many thanks to my buddies (in alphabetical order) Agxo, Bods, Lipstick and Masi. Kailan tayo mag-aaral ulit? :D  :P

August/Sept ang next time na pwede. I am trying to NOT travel in July and my sched for June is already set (next week in Beijing, then the following week in Taiwan).

Nag-board meeting na ba kayo? Ano na ang result?

Ano pinagkaiba ng:

Wine

Rum

Whisky

Schotch

Gin

Beer

etc

Wine is fermented [something] - grape juice, rice broth, plum juice, etc.

Rum, whicky, Scotch (whiskey), and gin are distilled spirits. For scotch and bourbon (both are types of whskey/whisky), the base is a grain of some sort - corn, wheat, etc. that is fermented then distilled. Vodka is also distilled spirits, but typically does not have any flavoring agents. Which brings us to gin - which is also distilled spirits (from pototoes, grain or sugar cane) that is flavored with juniper berries. Distilled spirits are alcoholic liquids that are distilled (boiled until they evaporate and then the steam is cooled and re-liquified).

Beer is something else altogether. Beer is a brewed spirit, in which malt, hops and other ingrideints are boiled and fermented, then allowed to brew (cook) for a while and then cooled ang (sometimes0 aged a bit before bottling.

Distilled spirits tend to be very high in alcohol content - 40 proof (common) is 20% alcohol. I have found cask strength Scotch which is 160 proof (80% alcohol) and that you need to mix with distilled or mineral water 1:1 to make drinkable.

Lquers - Kahlua, Bailey's, Tia Maria's, Amaretto, etc., are highly alcoholic liquids made from a syrup of some sort with a neutral distilled spirit (almost pure alcohol) mixed in.

Port is grape juice partially made into wine but with still a lot of residual sugar into which a neutral spirit has been added.

Brandy is a distilled spirit made from distilled grape wine (usually). There's also Calvados, which is brandy made from hard apple cider (alcoholic fermented apple juice).

Sake is rice wine made from a rice broth that is allowed to ferment. So is Chinese rice wine, Korean rice wine, etc. Some are stornger than others and some may be distilled to make more potent drinks (shoju for example).

Hope this helps.

The wine we talk abot here is generally grape wine, made from fermented grape juice. It's not distilled, and is almost never drunk mixed with anything else.

sir Agxo all of them are Liquors ryt?

"Liquor" generally refers to hard liquor such as gin, rum, whiskey/whisky, vodka, brandy. Typically a distilled spirit. Doesn't refer to port, which is partially vinified (fermented) grape juice to which a neutral distilled spirit (liquor) is added.

Beer and (grape) wine are not liquors. Neither are rice wines (sake, tapuy, other types of rice wine), plum wines or other fruit wines such as apple wine, blackberry wine, etc.

Only distilled spirits are referred to as "liquor".

"Liquor" generally refers to hard liquor such as gin, rum, whiskey/whisky, vodka, brandy. Typically a distilled spirit. Doesn't refer to port, which is partially vinified (fermented) grape juice to which a neutral distilled spirit (liquor) is added.

Beer and (grape) wine are not liquors. Neither are rice wines (sake, tapuy, other types of rice wine), plum wines or other fruit wines such as apple wine, blackberry wine, etc.

Only distilled spirits are referred to as "liquor".

technically, we can describe the diffence by alcohol content, still wines are usually from 5% ALC by Volume to 14%. Fortified Wines starts from the 14% barrier up to 25%. Beyond the 25% it's considered as spirit or liqour. this is being used by BIR for excise tax on wines & spirits. But there are several exceptions, like for example, smirnoff mule, vodka ice, breezer or twist, they are cocktail mixes ready to drink but with liquor/spirit as base ingredient, so they are taxed as spirit even if their alchol content is very minimal as per volume content.

August/Sept ang next time na pwede. I am trying to NOT travel in July and my sched for June is already set (next week in Beijing, then the following week in Taiwan).

We had some exploratory discussions pero wala pang concrete results. Maybe some more rounds and the spirits will give us the go-go-go signal. :D

yes we did but as storm said - all-exploratory but we did cover substantial ground. I was under the impression that masi would e-mail you the results :P

ok we hope we can get together by that time - September is a nice month to open that bubbly :rolleyes:

hi guys, i don't know if this is OT, bring out ko lang, there's this company - wine company where's the gm is leaving for the states, so the position is available. i can not recommend but obviously the criteria for the replacement/gm position must know about wines. anyone interested can pm for the details.