Hi guys!

Was invited to a Chinese Lauriat recently, and they served a Hardy's Cabernet Sauvignon 2004. The wine was very young, needed to breath awhile. (Reminds me of Agxo's "Now it's ready to drink!") It had fruity notes, tannins were not so strong, and medium legs. What's nice about it is that it went suprisingly well with the menu! It was good with the seafoods, vegetables and meats. It just didn't go with the shark's fin soup.

Since it was a big banquet, the wine was flowing non stop. I think we finished a bottle per person that night.

Hi guys!

Was invited to a Chinese Lauriat recently, and they served a Hardy's Cabernet Sauvignon 2004.  The wine was very young, needed to breath awhile.  (Reminds me of Agxo's "Now it's ready to drink!")  It had fruity notes, tannins were not so strong, and medium legs.  What's nice about it is that it went suprisingly well with the menu!  It was good with the seafoods, vegetables and meats.  It just didn't go with the shark's fin soup.

Since it was a big banquet, the wine was flowing non stop.  I think we finished a bottle per person that night.

I've been finding that a lot of California and Australian wines are now being made in a "drink now" style - very restrained (dare I say - mild?) tannins, lots of fruit forward, almost "sweeter" in a way. Much less complex but a lot friendlier. They don't age gracefully, though, and go downhill within a couple of years, so if you have any of those wines, drink 'em up fast! I wonder what it was in the shark's fin soup that didn't go with the wine?

I've been finding that a lot of California and Australian wines are now being made in a "drink now" style - very restrained (dare I say  - mild?) tannins, lots of fruit forward, almost "sweeter" in a way. Much less complex but a lot friendlier. They don't age gracefully, though, and go downhill within a couple of years, so if you have any of those wines, drink 'em up fast! I wonder what it was in the shark's fin soup that didn't go with the wine?

Agxo, that's the impression I got - it's a drink now, won't keep wine.

The soup, although no one complained, was something that tasted off for me. More like not so fresh oyster. This was in Eastern China, so their preparation might be different from the cantonese style of shark's fin soup we're used to.

Sir bods, wala po ba kayong wine drinking courses fr beginners? haha Tried out a bottle of shiraz 2004 gawa sa aus. forgot the brand tried swirling it in the glass, smelled it alcohol lang naiimagine ko. Chewed it, gulped it down, noticed that the tate stayed for a while but hindi ko madetermine kung ano yung taste. Na frustrate ako, opened a bottle of asti na champagne, naubos ko yung bottle and got a very light buzz.  :lol:  Trying to shift from beer to wine, gusto ko na lumiit yung tiyan ko.

hi there! thanks a lot for mingling with us winos here :D

what you said about not determining what you were tasting when drinking that wine is very understandabe for beginners. I myself still falls into that taste limbo quite often. The tasting notes in the wine journals sometimes are of little help because they describe the wine in terms of fruits and spices not familiar to us Filipinos. How can you know if the wine tastes of apricots and blueberries if you haven't tasted these fruits in the first place? Or of cinnamon, or cider, or plums etc. Some of the tasting sensations are quite familiar though, like bananas, or strawberries, or chocolate. What you need to know first as agxo said is be familiar with the expected tastes of corresponding wine varieties. A certain variety should taste of a certain fruit or spice, otherwise it is not a well-made wine not worthy of further attention.

What you can do as a start is determine if the wine is puckery or not (tannic) - that bitter sensation that knots up your mouth - or if the taste remains in your mouth a good deal of time after swallowing (long finish). A wine that does not pucker up your mouth or does not taste too acidic may have good balance. Chances are with these characteristics, you've stumbled upon a good wine - or at least a wine that you would like and would like to buy and drink again.

Say goodbye to San Miguel. The world of wine is more interesting :P

good luck!

I've been finding that a lot of California and Australian wines are now being made in a "drink now" style - very restrained (dare I say  - mild?) tannins, lots of fruit forward, almost "sweeter" in a way. Much less complex but a lot friendlier. They don't age gracefully, though, and go downhill within a couple of years, so if you have any of those wines, drink 'em up fast! I wonder what it was in the shark's fin soup that didn't go with the wine?

Hardy's more often than not produces drink-now wines - something that is friendly enough for everybody :D

we look forward to seeing you again, pare!

Sige, mag-uusap kami and we'll let you know.

Great! I'm leaving this Friday (May 12) because I have to go to Hongkong and China first. Any wine in particular you'd like me to bring? Or should I surprise you? I'd be looking at maybe an early- to mid-90s California cabernet or merlot.

Edited by agxo3
Great! I'm leaving this Friday (May 12) because I have to go to Hongkong and China first. Any wine in particular you'd like me to bring? Or should I surprise you? I'd be looking at maybe an early- to mid-90s California cabernet or merlot.

Bods, masi, storm, leaving tomorrow morning at 11:30 pm. Are we on for the weekend of 5/19? Sunday is working out to be the best for me. Is that okay with you? shold I bring a bottle or should we just see what's available when we get together?

Let me know today so I know if I should pack a bottle or not. will check the boards beforee I leave.

Bods, masi, storm, leaving tomorrow morning at 11:30 pm. Are we on for the weekend of 5/19? Sunday is working out to be the best for me. Is that okay with you? shold I bring a bottle or should we just see what's available when we get together?

Let me know today so I know if I should pack a bottle or not. will check the boards beforee I leave.

We'll meet for sure, either in Lipsticks place or ours. I'll be glad to taste another one of your bottles. The Coppola you brought was the best I have tasted so far.

We'll be looking forward to seeing you next week. Have a great and nice trip. Take care bro.

We'll meet for sure, either in Lipsticks place or ours. I'll be glad to taste another one of your bottles. The Coppola you brought was the best I have tasted so far.

We'll be looking forward to seeing you next week. Have a great and nice trip. Take care bro.

WEll as it turned out I was unable to bring a bottle with me - I had to carry something for one of our vendors here so that took up the space. :grr:

I will stop by the duty free at the HK (or Taipei) airport, see what they have and pick out something for us to try. Sorry......

WEll as it turned out I was unable to bring a bottle with me - I had to carry something for one of our vendors here so that took up the space.  :grr:

I will stop by the duty free at the HK (or Taipei) airport, see what they have and pick out something for us to try. Sorry......

Don't be sorry. It's okay pare. Ingat and see you soon. PM me your contact number.

Sunday seems to be best for me too! Storm, Bods, etc. what's the final arrangement. Been very busy lately hardly have time.

Sunday evening, sa haus namin! See you guys and gals. :)

Well, as it turned out, we ended up at Bods' place in Alabang. Bods is a very gracious host - thanks for a really great evening!

We had 3 bottles among the 4 (Bods, Masi, Storm and myself) of us a 1997 Taittinger Blancs du Blancs, a German (austrian?) Gruner Veltliner, and a very unusual Shiraz. Masi took detailed notes. We ended up with a few other botles that we put n reserve - a 2001 Wente Livermore Valley zin, a 2001 Charles Heidseck champagne, and another I don't recall.

Ms. Lips, we sorely missed your presence.

Hope to see you all again soon! Thanks again!

Well, as it turned out, we ended up at Bods' place in Alabang. Bods is a very gracious host - thanks for a really great evening!

We had 3 bottles among the 4 (Bods, Masi, Storm and myself) of us a 1997 Taittinger Blancs du Blancs, a German (austrian?) Gruner Veltliner, and a very unusual Shiraz. Masi took detailed notes. We ended up with a few other botles that we put n reserve - a 2001 Wente Livermore Valley zin, a 2001 Charles Heidseck champagne, and another I don't recall.

Ms. Lips, we sorely missed your presence.

Hope to see you all again soon! Thanks again!

pare am I still under the spell of that Taittinger or what, but if I remember correctly we did consume that Wente zin, and it was masi's Long Row shiraz that went back to the coolers :D

it's great to see you again pare, and greater still for all of you to make that trip to that neck of the woods. Thanks for the Taittinger - it was quite an experience with that bubbly. Do enjoy your stay there and have a safe trip back home!

pare am I still under the spell of that Taittinger or what, but if I remember correctly we did consume that Wente zin, and it was masi's Long Row shiraz that went back to the coolers :D

it's great to see you again pare, and greater still for all of you to make that trip to that neck of the woods. Thanks for the Taittinger - it was quite an experience with that bubbly. Do enjoy your stay there and have a safe trip back home!

You are right!!! That Wente did go down valiantly! :P So one of these days I will taste that Long Rows shiraz.

Thanks again for a great evening!

You are right!!! That Wente did go down valiantly!  :P  So one of these days I will taste that Long Rows shiraz.

Thanks again for a great evening!

you're welcome pare!

we'll be having another wine stakeout tonight (this Friday) masquerading as a discussion on your proposal :D but it sure qon't be complete without you, your bubbly and your laptop :evil:

see you soon again, pare....we'll keep you posted

Never let it be said Taiwan has no good wine!

Had an outstanding wine with a great steak the other night. Wolf Blass Grey Label Australian Shiraz. 2002. A bit young, and it showed at the outset. A touch of green and a touch of tartness to go with the dense black berries and cherries. Some plum, a bit of raisin. Anise. Tar. Then we let it sit for 10 minutes. Wow! What a change! Open and fruit forward. More bright red strawberries and red cherries. STill the plum and raisin, less anise. Now the youth made it lighter and fresher. Still a good tannic backdrop for all this stuff going on. NT$2700 at the restaurant. Anyone know what that's at retail?

Hi guys!

I think I saw a Wolf Blass Shiraz a few months back going for around PhP1,700. Not too sure if its a Gray Label, though.

Had a Hardy's Merlot 2003 the other night. What's diferent was that they served it at aroung 18 to 20 degrees. Wow! It made a huge difference! It had a fuller taste, though the tannins were not so strong (it's a Hardy's).