tanong lang po.if i'm having rib eye steak, anong wine ang dapat kong inumin?red or white?

you could stick to the conventions of white on fish and seafood and red on beef, chicken, pork. or you could be a radical and go for whites or rose on your rib eye. personally, i have tried reds with seafood but i haven't gone white on a steak.

it would really depend on how your steak will be done and the sauce accompanying it. your red could be a light and fruity like a pinot or a mid to heavy complex body like a cabernet sauvignon or shiraz. this would really depend on what you prefer.

but, if you go well done on your steak, maybe coke would be better! B)

you could stick to the conventions of white on fish and seafood and red on beef, chicken, pork.  or you could be a radical and go for whites or rose on your rib eye.  personally, i have tried reds with seafood but i haven't gone white on a steak.

it would really depend on how your steak will be done and the sauce accompanying it.  your red could be a light and fruity like a pinot or a mid to heavy complex body like a cabernet sauvignon or shiraz.  this would really depend on what you prefer.

So taking this a step further - what white do you think would do well with a rib-eye?

you could stick to the conventions of white on fish and seafood and red on beef, chicken, pork.  or you could be a radical and go for whites or rose on your rib eye.  personally, i have tried reds with seafood but i haven't gone white on a steak.

it would really depend on how your steak will be done and the sauce accompanying it.  your red could be a light and fruity like a pinot or a mid to heavy complex body like a cabernet sauvignon or shiraz.  this would really depend on what you prefer.

That last line had me coughing hard!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So taking this a step further - what white do you think would do well with a rib-eye?

If it were well done, it would easily be Asti - sweet and bubbly - like softdrink. :lol:

But seriously, it would be interesting to find a match. Something not too acidic? How about the flavor? A Reisling, maybe?

But seriously, it would be interesting to find a match.  Something not too acidic?  How about the flavor?  A Reisling, maybe?

Boy, this question had a cold chill run down my spine!!!! :boo: I would go for a sauvignon blanc (a personal favorite with more than your average oak (fume blanc?). Perhaps Bordeaux blends would fall right in place. Also, serving it at a slightly warmer than usual recommended serving temperature would make it suitable.

Personally, I haven't tried drinking white purely on red meat, but it would be on a combi of red meat and seafood (just like a surf and turf) where my primary meal would be the seafood which would blend well with the white.

Well, did I pass? :D

That last line had me coughing hard!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

If it were well done, it would easily be Asti - sweet and bubbly - like softdrink.  :lol:

:lol: better swig a shot or 2 of brandy for that cough!!!!

First, welcome to the thread, AB! You need to post your wine expreiences and tell us what you like, and why, or don't like, and why. Now, on to a comment on your post.......

Wrong on BOTH counts! There's good and bad from ANY region, ANY country - and any vintage. Such generalizations only serve to limit the range of wines you experience. Each grower, each region, each country, each verietal, each vintage, each price range all have their stars and their flops.

I've had some REALLY, REALLY bad French, American, Spanish, Italian, South American, South African, etc., wine (and some really wonderful stuff as well!).

There's terrible American wine. And some REALLY terrific American wine - Masi, Bods, Storm and Ms. Lips can attest to the latter. They were the benficiaries of a 1995 Niebaum-Coppola Cask Cabernet that I brought back with me last December.

Going back in time, in 1974, there was a blind tasting in Paris which shocked the wine world. California wines (Stags Leap was one) beat their French counterparts.

And I've had some very memorable clunkers. You're new to the board and probably haven't heard of my annual 4th of July bad wine contest. We get some really bad wines from all around the glope - Polish, Czech, Austrian (now THAT was bad!!), German, French, Chilean, Argentinian, Australian, NZ, Spanish, Italian, Virginian (as in the state of Virginia), New York, Japanese, Canadian, Washingtonian, Oregonian, Californian...........And some suprisingly good cheap wines - the original 2 buck Chuck (CA Central Valley), Yellow Tail (Australia) back when it was still cheap, Fat Cat (California), Fat Bastard (France).........

I just had a LEBANESE wine. Yes, Lebanese - from the Bekaa Valley. Chateau Kefraya Les Bretechas (?) 2004. Red - 80% de Cinsault (new varietal for me!), 6% cabernet sauvignon, 7% carignane, 7% grenache. Loads of strawberriea and reb berries. Rather light, much like a Rhone rose in body, nose and palate. Very pleasant, although the finish was a bit short. Given to me for Christmas, but if the price were right, I'd buy it for a summer picnic wine. Would be good slightly chilled.

Another Christmas gift was a 1995 Bordeaux - Chateau Seguin, Reserve du Chateau. Classified as a Bordeaux Superieur. Not bad, pleasant. Short finish (unexpected in a Bordeaux of this age). Lighter than expected (again - it was 10 years old!!), but good plum and dark berry flavors. A little bit of smoke and a light dusting of white pepper. $18 in a local store, and not worth it. To me it's a $10 wine, no more. I can get much better $15-$20 Napa and Sonoma wines, and better $10 Livermore wines.

Just went to pick up my 2004 futures from Retzlaff in Livermore. Ended up taking a case made up of 9 cabs and 3 blends (75% cab, 25% merlot). The blends are to drink over the coming year, the cabs need to be held at least 2 more years before drinking, although with some air they open up rather nicely. Average $$/btl - $25.

And I bought a case to pick up NEXT year. Also red. For a while their cabs were mediocre, but recently they've started getting really good again and I'm happy to see that. No more New Vines cabs - those grapes are now going into their estate cabs. Well, to be accurate, ALL their wines are estate wines - they get ALL their grapes from the 17 acres they own and farm. Their 2004 sauv blanc is still not in the bottle - but will go in later this year and it's really good! A bit wild on the nose (think cat pee!) but a little time in oak should tame that right nicely. And they are remarkably consistent with their chardonnays, although I think the 2005s will be better than the 2004s. We'll see next year....... I did pick up a couple of bottles of their zin port (a port-style wine made using zinfandel grapes). A great drink-now sweet wine. I need some Sharffenberger dark chocolate to go with it, though!

I will be traveling 2 weeks in February then back 2 weeks before going off for another 2 weeks (this time on business) in March. But Fenestra has their winter release for wine club members some time late February and I'm looking forward to that!

tenks bro, u definitely know ur wine, more power :D

tenks bro, u definitely know ur wine, more power  :D

No problem, AB. I would recommend keeping an open mind and not holding to sweeping generalizations. There's just way too much variety in wine for any one rule to hold true.

As an example, take a look at the question of what white wine would go with a rib-eye. My first response is a red, of course! But IS there a white that could go with it? Good responses from all, and some ideas for me to try next time I have the opportunity. I'd say the best suggestion so far is a big, oaky, sauvignon blanc, but I will also look into a steely German reisling (not sweet, but one of the dry ones).

Of course, champagne is wondeful with EVERYTHING. Heck, champagne is wonderful just because it's champagne! And no, asti is NOT champagne. It IS a bubbly, but it is most definitely NOT champagne. Not even in concept or spirit. Nor is prosecco, BTW, which is the OTHER Italian sparkler, and one that I have recently developed a fondness for (try it with lightly grilled fresh peaches - wow!). Nor is a Spanish cava - try Freixenet Cordon Negro if that's available. Only the bubbly produced in the Reims-Epernay-Champillon area (aka the Champagne region of France) is champagne, despite what Korbel and a few other California producers would want you to believe.

Guest the_eight_of_orbs

Sharing lang. Last night there was a wine tasting mini event at cyrano. i was too sleepy so i was ableto sample MONKEY BAY Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. :rolleyes: i loved the naglalabang fruitiness and the flower-like tints, it was mellow and smooth and it leaves a pleasant taste in the mouth. yummy was my adjective last night. babaw no? pero yummy talaga eh.

:)

Sharing lang.  Last night there was a wine tasting mini event at cyrano.  i was too sleepy so i was ableto sample MONKEY BAY Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.  :rolleyes:  i loved the naglalabang fruitiness and the flower-like tints, it was mellow and smooth and it leaves a pleasant taste in the mouth.  yummy was my adjective last night.  babaw no?  pero yummy talaga eh. 

and you didn't even bother to invite us!!!! :grr:

e akala ko ba wala ng sauv blanc sa cyrano's! :grr: :grr:

you know that's my favorite varietal! :grr: :grr: :grr:

just kidding!!! :lol: glad that you like sauv blanc. it's a personal fav especially New Zealand. a blend of light citrus .. ripe pomelo and don't forget the scent of "freshly cut grass" which makes the sauv blanc distinct.

As an example, take a look at the question of what white wine would go with a rib-eye. My first response is a red, of course! But IS there a white that could go with it? Good responses from all, and some ideas for me to try next time I have the opportunity. I'd say the best suggestion so far is a big, oaky, sauvignon blanc, but I will also look into a steely German reisling (not sweet, but one of the dry ones).

Of course, champagne is wondeful with EVERYTHING. Heck, champagne is wonderful just because it's champagne! And no, asti is NOT champagne. It IS a bubbly, but it is most definitely NOT champagne. Not even in concept or spirit. Nor is prosecco, BTW, which is the OTHER Italian sparkler, and one that I have recently developed a fondness for (try it with lightly grilled fresh peaches - wow!). Nor is a Spanish cava - try Freixenet Cordon Negro if that's available. Only the bubbly produced in the Reims-Epernay-Champillon area (aka the Champagne region of France) is champagne, despite what Korbel and a few other California producers would want you to believe.

great inputs, Agxo!!! Would you have gone for that oaky, sauv blanc with the rib eye, as well?

we have the Freixenet Cordon Negro here as well as some Vallformosa cava. for those who want to get it, go to Barcino's Gourmet at Citygolf Plaza, J. Vargas in Pasig.

Edited by masi
Guest the_eight_of_orbs
and you didn't even bother to invite us!!!! :grr:

e akala ko ba wala ng sauv blanc sa cyrano's! :grr:  :grr:

you know that's my favorite varietal! :grr:  :grr:  :grr:

just kidding!!!  :lol:  glad that you like sauv blanc.  it's a personal fav especially New Zealand.  a blend of light citrus .. ripe pomelo and don't forget the scent of "freshly cut grass" which makes the sauv blanc distinct.

:* sorry na po. kasi naman akala ko next week pa yung wine tasting. :lol: alam ko lang may event ang creative guild doon tapos tinuloy din sa wine tasting. I'm sure there'll be another one cuz the regulars didn't get to try this set. :) i'll post details a week ahead, promise. :)

ayuuuun! freshly cut grass! :rolleyes: yun yung yummy! :)

great inputs, Agxo!!!  Would you have gone for that oaky, sauv blanc with the rib eye, as well?

we have the Freixenet Cordon Negro here as well as some Vallformosa cava.  for those who want to get it, go to Barcino's Gourmet at Citygolf Plaza, J. Vargas in Pasig.

Naahhhh - I like a good cab more than just about anything else, so for me the cab still wins. My second choice would actually be the reisling.

Welcome to the thread tokiojoe ... hope to see you round here often. :)

Thank you M'Lipstick. Have just been a lurker in this thread and its great to see a lot of wine lovers.

Eight of Orbs mentioned MONKEY BAY (P615 wholesale) - very light and refreshing Sauvignon Blanc. Nice for the coming summer months. I suggest also Chateau La Gordonne Rose (P400 wholesale) - less expensive also very fruity and refreshing.

These wines are distributed here by Future Trade. They carry Hardys, Lindemans, Rosemount and Penfolds (even Grange -$200 they have!).

For this forum I can share the wholesale price, which is 15% less as long as you buy 12 bottles of any wine. Just PM me for details.

Have you seen the new Wine Spectator Magazine?  Joseph Phelps Insignia - California won wine of the year 2005.  Phelps won over the classics Ch Latour, Ch Margaux.

There's LOT that goes into that selection, and it's not just the tasting results. Price factors in as well, as does availability. Having said that, it IS an indication California does produce world-class wines.

On another note - I will be there in a couple of weeks. Sorry, can't do an EB since I'll be with a group and the schedule is very, very tight. I DO need to make a stop at a wine store to pick up wine for our dinners in Baguio and Cebu, and I would think that I'd find a better selection in Manila. Our base in Makati will be the Renaissance, close to GB. Is there a wine store close by that's open relatively late (say, 8 or 9 pm), and that you can recommend? I'd be looking for a case, mostly reds but a few whites for the ladies.

Edited by agxo3
There's LOT that goes into that selection, and it's not just the tasting results. Price factors in as well, as does availability. Having said that, it IS an indication California does produce world-class wines.

On another note - I will be there in a couple of weeks. Sorry, can't do an EB since I'll be with a group and the schedule is very, very tight. I DO need to make a stop at a wine store to pick up wine for our dinners in Baguio and Cebu, and I would think that I'd find a better selection in Manila. Our base in Makati will be the Renaissance, close to GB. Is there a wine store close by that's open relatively late (say, 8 or 9 pm), and that you can recommend? I'd be looking for a case, mostly reds but a few whites for the ladies.

You can go to Magnum at GB2, just a few steps from NUVO. It's a wine bar, restaurant and store all in one. Otherwise, you can go to Bacchus at the Shangrila Hotel (Ayala Avenue side shops) or Wine Depot at the Zuellig Loop. If you have a driver, he would know the place or Santis in Yakal or at Forbes.

Guest the_eight_of_orbs
You can go to Magnum at GB2, just a few steps from NUVO.  It's a wine bar, restaurant and store all in one.  Otherwise, you can go to Bacchus at the Shangrila Hotel (Ayala Avenue side shops) or  Wine Depot at the Zuellig Loop.  If you have a driver, he would know the place or Santis in Yakal or at Forbes.

OR you can go to CYRANO Wine Selections! Where everyone knows everyone by name! CHEERS! :boo: :lol:

You can go to Magnum at GB2, just a few steps from NUVO.  It's a wine bar, restaurant and store all in one.  Otherwise, you can go to Bacchus at the Shangrila Hotel (Ayala Avenue side shops) or  Wine Depot at the Zuellig Loop.  If you have a driver, he would know the place or Santis in Yakal or at Forbes.

OR you can go to CYRANO Wine Selections!  Where everyone knows everyone by name! CHEERS! :boo:  :lol:

Good suggestions - I will hit one of those places for the wine before we head up to Baguio. Thanks!! Where's Cyrano?

Yes the Rutherford line is available in Manila.  As well as Cakebread, Duckhorn, Opus One.  Bacchus in Makati Sharila and Happy Living will have these.

I have been drinking a lot of red wines for the past few years and have tried California, French, Italian, Chilean, and Australian. All have different falvor profiles which are probably attributed to the geographic locations. I find it hard to believe though that there are vintage French wines that can really command a lot of $$$ especially in fine restaurants. I was at Ruth's Chris steakhouse a week ago and they were selling a bottle of 85 Lafite Rotschild for $999.00.

I can probably tell the difference between a $100.00 wine from a $20.00 one. But I don't know if I will appreciate a $1000.00 bottle though.

Guest the_eight_of_orbs

Cyrano's at the ground floor of the Legaspi Parkview Condominium Legaspi cor C Palance St. Legaspi Village Makati, it's near greenbelt 1. :)

In baguio you might find interesting find at Tatiana'a Wine shop on Legarda Street or the wine depot thing at the John Hay commissary

Good suggestions - I will hit one of those places for the wine before we head up to Baguio. Thanks!! Where's Cyrano?

Yes the Rutherford line is available in Manila.  As well as Cakebread, Duckhorn, Opus One.  Bacchus in Makati Sharila and Happy Living will have these.

There's a label called Rutherford, which is NOT the same as the BV Rutherford, which is Beaulieau Vineyards Rutherford Cabernet Saugivnon. With the BV, it is so named bacuse the grapes come from vineyards in the town of Rutherford, which, not coincidentally, is where BV is headquartered. I believe that most of the grapes come from their Rutherford vineyard (s in - their vineyard im the town of Rutherford).

Rutherford winery is located near the town, but I am not sure if it's in the town of Rutherford itself. However, a majority of the grapes they use come from the area around the vineyard, including the town of Rutherford.

BV and Mondavi are two of the largest producers in California, and their labels appear on a staggering range of wines of all varietals and wildly differing styles, and made from grapes from manh different California appelations - Napa, Rutherford, Oakville, Sonoma Valley, Coastal Range (Mendocino County and Anderson Valley), Central Coast (Santa Cruz south through Monterey to San Luis Obispo and as far south as santa Barbara and Santa Ynez Valley), Central Valley (mostly Lodi - zins and syrah).

I once went to Mondavi looking for a specific wine to taste before buying - the 1995 Mondavi Napa Valley Zinfandel, made from grapes from the Cross vineyard just down the road. They didn't have it open for tasting (not surprising - at that time, which was 1998, it was selling for $60/btl). I was lucky enough to find that the winemaker (Bill Cabin himself!) was tasting zins with a local wine distributor and I was invited to join since I had expressed interest in their zins. we tasted the 92, 93, 94 and 95 vintages - complete with a lecture from Bill on the qualities of each of the vintages. I ended up buying a couple of the '95s, but also some '93 vintages! Still have a '95 left, and it will sit in my wine ref for another 4 years - 2010 is the target date for enjoying that wonderful wine.

For dinner tonight, opened a bottle from Spenker Vineyards located in the town of Lodi. The Lodi area is known for zins and syrahs - it's in the central valley and the springs are cold and wet, but the summers are hot and dry - leading to large grapes and grape clusters but very high levels of ripeness and the resulting high levels of sugars in the grape juice. The wines tend to be big (as in highly alcoholic - 14%+ is not unusual), ripe and rich, tannic but bursting with loads of fruit. This was a 1992 zin from Spenker Vineyards. Spenker has been owned by the same family for over a century. Old man spenker was also one of the founders of the Jesse Winery just north, and he split off some hundred-odd years ago to do his own thing. Very ripe, loads of blackberry and plum.Very light black perpper (unusual for a Lodi zin) but some cocoa and leather. A touch of smokiness. Looooooong finish!!! For a $15 bottle, not bad at all! Have to go back for more!!!

I just LOVE living in the SF Bay Area! Other than France, where else can you go from big zins, to elegant and refined cabs, to wild pinot noirs, to stately syrahs, to steely chards and fruity viogniers, seductive sauv blancs and racy pinot grigios, and everything in between? And unlike France, it's all no more than a 3 hour drive!!!

There's a label called Rutherford, which is NOT the same as the BV Rutherford, which is Beaulieau Vineyards Rutherford Cabernet Saugivnon. With the BV, it is so named bacuse the grapes come from vineyards in the town of Rutherford, which, not coincidentally, is where BV is headquartered. I believe that most of the grapes come from their Rutherford vineyard (s in - their vineyard im the town of Rutherford).

Rutherford winery is located near the town, but I am not sure if it's in the town of Rutherford itself. However, a majority of the grapes they use come from the area around the vineyard, including the town of Rutherford.

BV and Mondavi are two of the largest producers in California, and their labels appear on a staggering range of wines of all varietals and wildly differing styles, and made from grapes from manh different California appelations - Napa, Rutherford, Oakville, Sonoma Valley, Coastal Range (Mendocino County and Anderson Valley), Central Coast (Santa Cruz south through Monterey to San Luis Obispo and as far south as santa Barbara and Santa Ynez Valley), Central Valley (mostly Lodi - zins and syrah).

Great info...thanks :-)

I have been drinking  a lot of red wines for the past few years and have tried California, French, Italian, Chilean, and Australian. All have different falvor profiles which are probably attributed to the geographic locations. I find it hard to believe though that there are vintage French wines that can really command a lot of $$$ especially in fine restaurants. I was at Ruth's Chris steakhouse a week ago and they were selling a bottle of 85 Lafite Rotschild for $999.00. 

I can probably tell the difference between a $100.00 wine from a $20.00 one. But I don't know if I will appreciate a $1000.00 bottle though.

I was even more surprised to read in Wine Spectator December edition that a collector bought a bottle of Screaming Eagle for US$12,000!!!! :boo:

Edited by masi