I'll try muna yung iba than buy another Hardys. We went to Avellana's last night and they served Libertas Cav Sauv and Sauv Blanc. Both are easy to drink wines. I find them better than Hardy's.

Make sure to block February 20 on your calendar. There will be a simultaneous 3 1-man exhibit. One artist per room. Mine will be on the 2nd floor this time. Babaha ulit ng Libertas. :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by storm
Morning guys!

Was drinking a Hardy's Merlot 2003 the other night.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't fantastic either.  It seemed it needed a bit more aging.  But since the bottle was open (and about half full), I wanted to try something.  I tried it with cashew nuts - it made a big diference!  The two went well together.

You'll find that some foods go better with wine than others. Merlot tends to be somewhat softer, less tanninc, rounder and more fruity than cabernet sauvignon (the OTHER Bordeaux grape). Cashews and some other nuts are pretty rich in flavor and high in oil/fat. Those characteristics make them a good match to the fleshiness of merlot, but they will also complement and soften the tannins in a cabernet sauvignon. Same reason that cabs and steaks go so well together.

For some reason unknown to me, :lol:  yung Hardy's laging ang release mga one-year old :blink:  at Cyrano, the house red is hardy's cab sauv 2004.  Lipstick and some friends commented nga na kulang sa aging, para naman mag-a-age pa sya.  pero it's not all that bad, but it's just that there are far better, finer bottles. :)  but hey for 85 bucks per glass, i could not complain. :)

well usually if its a big winery and they produce the full range from supermarket wines to the collector's vintage,  the new release would be quite cheaper than those which have been stored for a couple of years.  remember, running a vineyard is still a business more than anything.

red should be stored for a couple of years (this assumes of course that the wines are stored properly)to allow the tannins to mellow or integrate and for it to be able to "compose" (this is my terminology for a wine to attain it's structure).  young reds, have a "juicy" character and the balance you may be looking for may not be present.  of course, there are wines that will not get any better no matter how long you store them.

Wines are generally made in one of two styles - one to DRINK NOW!!! which would leave less tannins and more fruit. The result should be a well-rounded wine with good balance. In a red, that would mean softer tannins and forward fruit. In a white you'd look for good acidity to balance the sweet-ish sensation that the fruit will give you. Sometimes the winemaker will leave a trace of residual sugar to aid in that fruitiness. Hence the typical "juicy" character of many young wines. These are not meant for aging and should be consumed within a year of purchase. These will probably be held in the barrel for no more than 6 months before bottling, many time, not more than 3 months, and in huge barrels at that.

The other style is one that requires aging - this is mostly done with reds. This means that a young wine will be "closed up", the fruit being submerged below a heavy layer of tannins. The wine will be bitter and will dry out your mouth. Typically NO residual sugar, hence the term "dry". These may spend upwards of 2 years in a barrel before bottling, and will usually benefit from (for cabernet sauvignon) 5-7 years of bottle aging. Some wines improve for up to 15-20 years, and I've tasted some that were 25+ years old and still delicious!

Some wines, of course, start out unappealing and no amount of aging will improve them.

Aging a red that is meant to be a DRINK NOW!!!! wine will NOT improve it. In fact, it will probably deteriorate with anything more than a couple of years of aging and will go from red/plum/brick colored to brown rather quickly.

Cost is one good indicator of the style of the wine. The lower cost wines will spend no more than 3-6 months inthe barrel and should be consumed quickly. It costs money to hold a wine inthe barrel. They've spent the money to grow the grapes and vinify the juice. They've spent the money to keep the wine and not sell it - it takes up space, uses barrels (at about $600 a barrel!) and their investment is just sitting there not making any more money for them. So they have to charge more - usually, a LOT more.

As a comparison, a Niebaum-Coppola cab at the lower tier spends 6 months in the barrel and is $15/btl. Drink that soon! A Cask Cabernet spends 12-16 months in the barrel and costs $35-40/btl. A Rubicon that spends 2+ years in the barrel is (at my discount!) $75/btl.

God i love this thread! :cool:

Yes, yes, yes!!! I gave up on a ot of other threads on MTC but have stuck with this one for obvious reasons. We share a common passion, and I learn a LOT from this thread. keep it up, guys!!

Bods, you are my hero for starting this thread!

... and we're just a bunch of wine enthusiasts!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Again, I tip my hat to Bods for starting this thread and the regulars, as well as lurkers for keeping it alive!!!!

Wha's this "wine enthusiast" stuff?! I am a wino and proud of it!!!

On that note -

I opened a 1995 Chateau de Seguin last night, and finished it off tonight. A Reserve du Chateau as they call it. Even at 10 years of age, it sells for a very affordable $18 on line. Clearly not one of Robert Parker's darlings!

But - it was smooth, with well-integrated tannins and lively fruit. A bit (okay, maybe a LOT) lighter than I had expected a Bordeaux to be, but it had good plums and raspberries. A bit of chocolate on the nose. Soft tannins. And a medium finish (oh, 30 seconds or so). Clearly on the downhill side of development, I would give it another 3 years before it turns brown and nasty. But I expected that, so I drank it now, rather than waiting.

Last night I paired it with a rib eye steak. Cooked very simpky - 4 minutes on each side on a VERY hot fire (thank goodness for 15,000 BTU!) then 7 minutes in the over at 375 deg F. The steak was a good 1 - 1/2 inches thick. Sea salt and pepper to season it. A bit of olive oil and butter in the pan to start. Fresh-grated horseradish with sour cream, a bit of Worcestershire and a bit of the pan drippings mixed in. I cooked up a bit of thinly-slcied garlic int he pan drippings while the meat rested, and sprinkled that over the steaks. Mmmmmmmmmm........ The fat and protein in the meat complemented the tannins and the slightly steely character of the wine realy well.

Tonight was country-style pork ribs slow-cooked in a ketchup/orange marmalade/toyo/salt/pepper concoction. With the wine being as light as it was, this went well enough together. i did make the mistake of sprinkling some hot sauce over the pork at first and that didn't go well at all, but once I got past that, it was not bad at all!!!

Got my regular wine shipment from Niebaum-Coppola today. It's now called Rubicon Estate! They will concentrate on estate wines (meaning the grapes come from their own estate vineyards, not other places). Rubicon remains their flagship wine. I got a 2003 Reserve Estate Cab and a 2004 Estate Merlot. AND some French chocolate wafers specifically selected to complement the wines. Great tasting notes! I got 2 of the cab - one to taste 9and drink!) now, one to hold for a few years (3-7, they said). S now i have to set up a tasting to compare what I taste against the tasting notes they sent. A full FR when that happens.......

Yes, yes, yes!!! I gave up on a ot of other threads on MTC but have stuck with this one for obvious reasons. We share a common passion, and I learn a LOT from this thread. keep it up, guys!!

Bods, you are my hero for starting this thread!

Wha's this "wine enthusiast" stuff?! I am a wino and proud of it!!!

On that note -

I opened a 1995 Chateau de Seguin last night, and finished it off tonight. A Reserve du Chateau as they call it. Even at 10 years of age, it sells for a very affordable $18 on line. Clearly not one of Robert Parker's darlings!

But - it was smooth, with well-integrated tannins and lively fruit. A bit (okay, maybe a LOT) lighter than I had expected a Bordeaux to be, but it had good plums and raspberries. A bit of chocolate on the nose. Soft tannins. And a medium finish (oh, 30 seconds or so). Clearly on the downhill side of development, I would give it another 3 years before it turns brown and nasty. But I expected that, so I drank it now, rather than waiting.

Last night I paired it with a rib eye steak. Cooked very simpky - 4 minutes on each side on a VERY hot fire (thank goodness for 15,000 BTU!) then 7 minutes in the over at 375 deg F. The steak was a good 1 - 1/2 inches thick. Sea salt and pepper to season it. A bit of olive oil and butter in the pan to start. Fresh-grated horseradish with sour cream, a bit of Worcestershire and a bit of the pan drippings mixed in. I cooked up a bit of thinly-slcied garlic int he pan drippings while the meat rested, and sprinkled that over the steaks. Mmmmmmmmmm........ The fat and protein in the meat complemented the tannins and the slightly steely character of the wine realy well.

Tonight was country-style pork ribs slow-cooked in a ketchup/orange marmalade/toyo/salt/pepper concoction. With the wine being as light as it was, this went well enough together. i did make the mistake of sprinkling some hot sauce over the pork at first and that didn't go well at all, but once I got past that, it was not bad at all!!!

Got my regular wine shipment from Niebaum-Coppola today. It's now called Rubicon Estate! They will concentrate on estate wines (meaning the grapes come from their own estate vineyards, not other places). Rubicon remains their flagship wine. I got a 2003 Reserve Estate Cab and a 2004 Estate Merlot. AND some French chocolate wafers specifically selected to complement the wines. Great tasting notes! I got 2 of the cab - one to taste 9and drink!) now, one to hold for a few years (3-7, they said). S now i have to set up a tasting to compare what I taste against the tasting notes they sent. A full FR when that happens.......

ok guys, this is for the long haul!!! we'll have to wait for 7-years to get the full FR on those Rubicon Estates!!!! in the meantime, we're off to CYRANO!!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

ok guys, this is for the long haul!!! we'll have to wait for 7-years to get the full FR on those Rubicon Estates!!!!  in the meantime, we're off to CYRANO!!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Nah - I'll pop one open in the near future and report on that. The SECOND one, however will have to wait until 2012 before I can report on it! :D

I also picked up my last quarterly Mitchell Katz wine club releaes. I quit the wine club this month, so I can go join ANOTHER wine club. Now all I have to do is find another small, unheralded, but great winery. Fortuitously, I just saw an article in a local rag about a place called Leal Winery, in, of all places, Hollister!!! Got good ratings. Roadtrip!!!! Eagleyes, N2DB - you guys up for a little drive down south a bit?

Hi All - just noticed a few people here mentioning Watershed from Margaret River in Australia - I am an Aussie and my family are actually investors in the vineyard.

Got home to spend Christmas with my folks this year and my Dad had 30 cases from Watershed lined up - spent some very enjoyable evenings with him trying to plough through as much of it as we could.

Glad to see there are so many wine drinkers here - it is the nectar of the Gods.

Nah - I'll pop one open in the near future and report on that. The SECOND one, however will have to wait until 2012 before I can report on it!  :D

I also picked up my last quarterly Mitchell Katz wine club  releaes. I quit the wine club this month, so I can go join ANOTHER wine club. Now all I have to do is find another small, unheralded, but great winery. Fortuitously, I just saw an article in a local rag about a place called Leal Winery, in, of all places, Hollister!!! Got good ratings. Roadtrip!!!! Eagleyes, N2DB - you guys up for a little drive down south a bit?

i'm good to go; just say when :thumbsupsmiley:

First new release from the newly-renamed Rubicon Estates (aka Niebaum-Coppola Winery)

-----------

From: "Niebaum-Coppola Estate Winery" <Niebaum_Coppola_Estate_Winery@mail.vresp.com>

Subject: Introducing Captain's Reserve Wines

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:03:36 +0000

Dear ,

Introducing Captain’s Reserve

Captain's Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2003

Captain's Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2004

Captain's Reserve Zinfandel 2003

Our brand new Captain’s Reserve wines pay tribute to exploration, magnificent journeys, and new discoveries. We dedicate these wines in honor of Gustave Niebaum, a Finnish sea captain who established the winery as Inglenook in 1880. Before settling in the Napa Valley, Niebaum’s journeys took him across the Arctic Ocean, through the Bering Sea, and into the frigid, uncharted waters of the Alaskan Territory. He was a man of scientific discipline and artistic vision, enjoying both exploration and the pleasures of wine appreciation.

Captain’s Reserve wines honor Niebaum’s accomplishments around the globe, particularly Napa Valley, where the fruit for these premium wines is grown.

Learn more at our online store...

Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. We are pleased to offer assistance.

Phone: 800.575.9927

Email: service@niebaum-coppola.com

All our best,

Niebaum-Coppola eCommerce

Niebaum-Coppola Estate Winery

Rutherford, California

www.niebaum-coppola.com

This message was sent by Niebaum-Coppola Estate Winery using VerticalResponse's iBuilder®

Niebaum-Coppola Estate Winery

1991 St. Helena Highway

Rutherford, CA 94573

USA

Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy.

I'm on a bunch of other wine-related mailing lists -

-------

Subject: Bargain Burgundies all under 20 Bucks!!!

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:37:43 -0800

Welcome to

Vintage Wine Merchants

BARGAIN BURGUNDY

What exactly do we mean by “Bargain Burgundy??” Great question! For the casual wine drinker or even the avid California wine fan, just the mention of the “B-word” can send shivers down the spine and crank up the intimidation factor beyond tolerable limits. Most people are overwhelmed, even turned off, by the multitude of strange vineyards, the plethora of unfamiliar producers, the high average cost per bottle, the confusing labels…ARGGHH! Okay, forget all that! Here’s your chance to taste some Pinot Noir (red) and Chardonnay (white) from the “hallowed” region of Burgundy that will give you a wonderful introduction to these elegant, refined, and tasty wines—all for under 20 bucks a bottle! Try to find a decent example of these varietals at these prices from California and you’d work up a sweat!

To make it even easier on you to explore wines from these hallowed grounds, get

10% when you purchase 6 or more bottles.

2003 Henri Perrusset Macon-Village - $12.99

No oak treatment here. This is cool and crisp Chardonnay fruit and that is utterly void of over-manipulation. Cool aromas of lime, apple, pear, white flowers, minerals and powdered stone. Fruity green apple flavors, that while plump, still has with it surprising freshness and balance for a 2003 White Burgundy.

2004 Pierre Matrot Bourgogne Blanc - $14.99

Alex and Mike had the extreme pleasure of visiting Thierry Matrot on our trip to France this spring. We were profoundly affected by his gentle humor, keen intellect, and passionate dedication to his craft—all of which are reflected in his wines. Folks, this is Meursault disguised (and priced!) as a humble Bourgogne Blanc—but don’t be fooled! The’02 was truly GREAT, and THIS is equally impressive! For Chard purists, this is a ridiculous value!!!

2004 A & P Villaine Bouzeron Aligoté - $16.99

The obscure, “other white grape” from Burgundy—and made by the manager of Domaine Romanee-Conti!! Domaine de Villaine is located in the commune of Bouzeron, nestled in the Cotes Chalonnaise region between Chassagne-Montrachet and Santenay. The Aligoté grape has made Bouzeron’s rep*tation, because of its ability to make wines of distinctive character: dry, yet delicate and distinguished by roundness & finesse. This is an amazingly fragrant, elegant wine. It is a pleasure to drink and will pair well with a multitude of foods. Try something new—and really good! “Unquestionably the greatest wine from the Aligoté grape…I love it for it’s crispness opulent fruit, and surpising intensity and balance.” R. Parker

2004 Domaine Hubert Chavy “Les Femelottes” Bourgogne Blanc - $17.99

Hubert Chavy-Chouet represents the 6th generation of winemakers in his family. The Chavy-Chouet family is one of the oldest in Puligny-Montrachet. This is a single-vineyard Chardonnay from vines that are 40 years old.

It has a lovely, intense nose of roasted nuts and citrus—ah, the SMELL of white Burgundy! In the mouth, it VERY voluptuous, with curves in all the right places—but with loads of personality and crisp acidity to boot! Wonderful balance, lovely flavors—this is what Chardonnay is all about!

2004 Jean Marc Boillot Bourgogne Blanc - $19.99

“Few Burgundians are as talented in producing both whites and reds as Boillot. Few also have such a clear vision of what great Burgundy should taste like. With no fewer than 21 appellations at his disposal, he manages to produce seductively rich, dense and concentrated whites and reds in all years.” Per-Henrik Mansson, Wine Spectator

Light to medium-bodied and sporting a hugely spicy nose, this Bourgogne is a lush, satiny-textured wine packed with spiced apple flavors. Its finish reveals lime and lemon characteristics that provide an appealing freshness.

2003 Domaine Camus-Bruchon Bourgogne Rouge - $19.99

Lucien Camus is one of the rising stars in the Côte de Beaune, making wine from vineyard holdings in Savigny-Les-Beaune, Pommard and Beaune. His vines are old (averaging at least 35 years) and in some cases very old. He uses approximately 15% new oak following an extended maceration and fermentation time of at least 18 days. The wines are bottled unfiltered to maintain purity and varietal character. It has all the lovely fruit of the vintage, but with a lithe body, balancing acidity and elegance. This wine is a terrific value!

www.vintagewinemerchants.com

I opened a bottle, well 2 in fact, of Angove's Long Row Estate Bottled 2002 Shiraz South Australia last night. I've been reserving these bottles for a special occasion and what other better way would there be if you were paid a visit by your best friend in college!

This wine was simply elegant from start to finish. Mid crimson color with a subtle complex nose of dark berries and plums, hints of coffee and cocoa, and really long slender legs :thumbsupsmiley:

Mouth had a tender, well rounded bite, tannins gave the impression of "there but not there". Fruitiness of the plums and berries were subtly balanced. Finish was all smooth and long. I had a trail mix of almonds, walnuts, raisins and this wine evolved with every nut (good thing I was not in the mix! :boo: )

Unusual for your typical Australian Shiraz which I have been accustomed to -- rich flavors, oak pepery spice. The Long Row was totally different. Totally out of character but all elegance.

I opened a bottle, well 2 in fact, of Angove's Long Row Estate Bottled 2002 Shiraz South Australia last night.  I've been reserving these bottles for a special occasion and what other better way would there be if you were paid a visit by your best friend in college!

This wine was simply elegant from start to finish. Mid crimson color with a subtle complex nose of dark berries and plums, hints of coffee and cocoa, and really long slender legs :thumbsupsmiley:

Mouth had a tender, well rounded bite, tannins gave the impression of "there but not there".  Fruitiness of the plums and berries were subtly balanced.  Finish was all smooth and long.  I had a trail mix of almonds, walnuts, raisins and this wine evolved with every nut (good thing I was not in the mix! :boo: )

Unusual for your typical Australian Shiraz which I have been accustomed to -- rich flavors, oak pepery spice.  The Long Row was totally different.  Totally out of character but all elegance.

Great WR, masi!

Been curious with that line. Will try it next time.

Tried Agxo's sour cream-horseradish sauce - it's superb! Went well with a rib eye. My wife liked it she even tried it as salad dressing! Too bad I'm down with the flu and couldn't open any bottle.

question lang: i dont know squat about wine. can anybody tell me whats the best out there that the price range is within the realms of reality. i'm planning a celebration for my newborn baby girl. pero syempre yung matatanda yung mageenjoy! ~:>

CONGRATULATIONS! There are wines for every price range. Of course good wines don't come cheap but at P500 to P800 range you can get a quality wine. I would suggest you go to wine shops rather than a supermarket, Wine Depot (Makati/Pasig), Titania (Yakal ,Makati), Santis, Terry's (Podium), are some of the places you could try.

If you have no idea what label to buy, I would also suggest that you pick out any bottle within the price range which you are willing to spend and enjoy the drink. After all, nothing would beat the high of having a new addition to the family!

Have a good 1!

CONGRATULATIONS!  There are wines for every price range.  Of course good wines don't come cheap but at P500 to P800 range you can get a quality wine.  I would suggest you go to wine shops rather than a supermarket, Wine Depot (Makati/Pasig), Titania (Yakal ,Makati), Santis, Terry's (Podium),  are some of the places you could try.

If you have no idea what label to buy, I would also suggest that you pick out any bottle within the price range which you are willing to spend and enjoy the drink.  After all, nothing would beat the high of having a new addition to the family!

Have a good 1!

thanks dude! at least now i'm not in the dark about it.

question lang: i dont know squat about wine. can anybody tell me whats the best out there that the price range is within the realms of reality. i'm planning a celebration for my newborn baby girl. pero syempre yung matatanda yung mageenjoy! ~:>

u can never go wrong wit a french wine , Chateu Valrose pare medyo pricey lang nga :thumbsupsmiley: , american wine are no good

u can never go wrong wit a french wine , Chateu Valrose pare medyo pricey lang nga :thumbsupsmiley: , american wine are no good

First, welcome to the thread, AB! You need to post your wine expreiences and tell us what you like, and why, or don't like, and why. Now, on to a comment on your post.......

Wrong on BOTH counts! There's good and bad from ANY region, ANY country - and any vintage. Such generalizations only serve to limit the range of wines you experience. Each grower, each region, each country, each verietal, each vintage, each price range all have their stars and their flops.

I've had some REALLY, REALLY bad French, American, Spanish, Italian, South American, South African, etc., wine (and some really wonderful stuff as well!).

There's terrible American wine. And some REALLY terrific American wine - Masi, Bods, Storm and Ms. Lips can attest to the latter. They were the benficiaries of a 1995 Niebaum-Coppola Cask Cabernet that I brought back with me last December.

Going back in time, in 1974, there was a blind tasting in Paris which shocked the wine world. California wines (Stags Leap was one) beat their French counterparts.

And I've had some very memorable clunkers. You're new to the board and probably haven't heard of my annual 4th of July bad wine contest. We get some really bad wines from all around the glope - Polish, Czech, Austrian (now THAT was bad!!), German, French, Chilean, Argentinian, Australian, NZ, Spanish, Italian, Virginian (as in the state of Virginia), New York, Japanese, Canadian, Washingtonian, Oregonian, Californian...........And some suprisingly good cheap wines - the original 2 buck Chuck (CA Central Valley), Yellow Tail (Australia) back when it was still cheap, Fat Cat (California), Fat Bastard (France).........

I just had a LEBANESE wine. Yes, Lebanese - from the Bekaa Valley. Chateau Kefraya Les Bretechas (?) 2004. Red - 80% de Cinsault (new varietal for me!), 6% cabernet sauvignon, 7% carignane, 7% grenache. Loads of strawberriea and reb berries. Rather light, much like a Rhone rose in body, nose and palate. Very pleasant, although the finish was a bit short. Given to me for Christmas, but if the price were right, I'd buy it for a summer picnic wine. Would be good slightly chilled.

Another Christmas gift was a 1995 Bordeaux - Chateau Seguin, Reserve du Chateau. Classified as a Bordeaux Superieur. Not bad, pleasant. Short finish (unexpected in a Bordeaux of this age). Lighter than expected (again - it was 10 years old!!), but good plum and dark berry flavors. A little bit of smoke and a light dusting of white pepper. $18 in a local store, and not worth it. To me it's a $10 wine, no more. I can get much better $15-$20 Napa and Sonoma wines, and better $10 Livermore wines.

Just went to pick up my 2004 futures from Retzlaff in Livermore. Ended up taking a case made up of 9 cabs and 3 blends (75% cab, 25% merlot). The blends are to drink over the coming year, the cabs need to be held at least 2 more years before drinking, although with some air they open up rather nicely. Average $$/btl - $25.

And I bought a case to pick up NEXT year. Also red. For a while their cabs were mediocre, but recently they've started getting really good again and I'm happy to see that. No more New Vines cabs - those grapes are now going into their estate cabs. Well, to be accurate, ALL their wines are estate wines - they get ALL their grapes from the 17 acres they own and farm. Their 2004 sauv blanc is still not in the bottle - but will go in later this year and it's really good! A bit wild on the nose (think cat pee!) but a little time in oak should tame that right nicely. And they are remarkably consistent with their chardonnays, although I think the 2005s will be better than the 2004s. We'll see next year....... I did pick up a couple of bottles of their zin port (a port-style wine made using zinfandel grapes). A great drink-now sweet wine. I need some Sharffenberger dark chocolate to go with it, though!

I will be traveling 2 weeks in February then back 2 weeks before going off for another 2 weeks (this time on business) in March. But Fenestra has their winter release for wine club members some time late February and I'm looking forward to that!

tanong lang po.if i'm having rib eye steak, anong wine ang dapat kong inumin?red or white?

Personal opinion - pair it with a robust, somewhat tannic red. Best choice would be a cabernet sauvignon (or if French, check out the Bordeaux, but be aware, some Bordeaux are more heavily merlot-based rather than cab based). Amerlot would not do too bad, but not the easy, friendly drink-now style. Perhaps a syrah (shiraz if Australian, one of the Cote du Rhone is French - again check it out frist, it might be a Grenache!).

Gato Negro medyo ok na red wine pero south african wine lang eh, pag champagne Asti  :)

well, I know one's preference of wines is purely a matter of personal taste but frankly, these are 2 labels that I wouldn't even dare consider to drink alone or serve to my friends.

surely, I've tried them... how else would I know how bad they are!

Edited by masi