uhmmm, not good, but able perhaps.

Like a good, serviceable everyday wine, we try to give you company no matter how humble we are. We may not be as grand as a Grand Cru or as great as a '97 California Cab, but we are always here on the shelf trying to attract your attention to take us everyday. When the day ends and you are alone with your thoughts, us humble wines are here to give you great company......

now when is the awards' night :lol:

Great? Well, delicious is more like it. Lip-smacking yummy (with apologies to Ms. Lipstick). Smooth, dense, full-bodied and full-flavored. But great? Ask me again 10 years from now. Let's see how they hold up. I went looking through my stash the other night and found another 8 bottles fo that yummy '97! I'm in goooood shape for the next few months.

And - remember the great port fiasco? Well, I picked up my (now full! :P ) case last Sunday and am looking forward to popping the cork on a bottle within the next couple of weeks. Need some cigars, some good company, and a nice meal (hmmmm - tapas at Va de Vi maybe??) I will file my report as soon as the botlle is consumed, monsieurs et madamoiselles..

thanks...will see...will let the thread know.. :)

Where is City Golf Plaza? Sorry .. i am bobo with Ortigas area..Makati and Cavite girl po kasi eh...heheheh

Thirsty Traveller is a tv show in Discovery Travel and Living. The host would really travel to places and showcase the best wine, liquor and beers. They also tackle how it is made and other stuff. they even showed one time how real wine tasting happens and how to determine if it is a good A-OK wine or not. One time I saw how they do wine tasting..they don't really drink it..they just take a sip, have it in their mouth and spit...something to that effect.

yeah parang I caught a snippet of that show once - what's the sked ba?

I better see it regularly...

I used to watch I think it was Lonely Planet Traveler where the host used to go to different places in the globe. It was great fun seeing all these places. The best was when the host found himself eating balut in Pateros :P

If you are coming from C5, make a U-turn going to J. vargas. City Golf Plaza is a complex of eating places on the right side of the road, just before Home Depot.

Hope you be there :)

one of the few dreams i have --  tour italy, spain and the french wine country, play golf in scotland and sip a single malt after, smoke a cigar and drink a mojito in cuba.  i have to work for it!!!!

i received a gift from a friend, Beaulieu Vineyard Coastal Estates 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon Private Cellars.  I'm planning to keep it for a year before I open it unless I get advice that I should take it now.  Will appreciate your comments.

it's a great dream, pare - sama 'ko dyan :P

I just finished a book wherein this guy bicycled his way from Cadiz in Spain to the Hebrides Islands in Scotland - passing through the countrysides of Spain, France, England and finally the harsh Scottish Highlands and lochs.

Along the way, he savored rural cuisine and always with some vino tinto or some local wine. Nagbabaon pa nga sya ng bote on his trip and take a swig or two while resting in some secluded meadows. What I'd give to do that :thumbsupsmiley:

cheers for that Beaulieu!

you got a great wine!

hello, fellow wine-lovers:

what's this i hear about an eb??? i must try to attend this one since i missed the last. details, please?

huwait. am i invited?

whatever the case, monsieur bods, you know my digits. :)

It's tonight, 7pm onwards or until the liquid runs out.

BARCINO, City Golf Plaza, Julia Vargas Ave.

of course, you are invited. Ladies are invited! :P

We guys are fed up flirting with each other :lol:

Belated happy 4th! Hope you had a good weekend.

Had the usual suspects (minus one) over for the umpteenth annual bad wine contest and ritual tree feeding. (You gotta back read to understand that reference - sorry!) Small turnout this year - one was sick, the other seems to have been gone underground for a while (not unusual) and the other went "mid-West"-ing. So just me and two others.

We never got to the REALLY BAD wine (there was a Cleavage Creek this year!) but we did pop open a Cuvee Noir from Florida. Interesting flavors, not what you'd normally get in ANY red wine. Some stone fruit (apricot and nectarine), some kind ofspice (nutmeg? allspice? I'm not a spices guy.....), some vaguely grape-ish kind of flavor. None of the normal berries, strawberries, cherry kinds of flavors. Wierd.......

I'm already thinking of a follow-on to the event to try the Cleavage Creek and other unknwon wines. My tree will not grow much this year if I don't feed it more bad wine!

We did pop open a couple of good wines - one of the Retzlaff New Vines, but also a dry French rose from the Rhone Valley, and a demi-sec Vouvray. All were big hits, but with only 3 wine drinkers in the group, that was about all we could do without degenerating too far.

Fireworks at Great America - we can see them from our yard so we didn't make the drive down. Great display, as usual, but none on the 4th! Only on the 2nd and 3rd! I wonder why? San Jose did their display on the 4th and it was pretty grand.

Sounds like Taiwan the week of the 18th, but I have to be back on the 25th - jury duty. Yecch! - so no side trip to Manila.

hehe you really should give second thoughts about having that bad-wine contest. Guys are getting sick, guys are making themselves scarce, guys rather go to the colorless Midwest just to avoid drinking plonk during those events :lol:

how are the trees, pare? It's a good thing trees don't talk :upside:

That Cleavage Creek sure sounds interesting :unsure:

Another great evocative name for a wine hehehe...

cheers pare!

we miss you here! If there's a way, haul your booty here for a quick sip with us......

OTOH, I just bought some box wine from a rep*table store in SF. It's an Aussie wine - a cab. Got good reviews! It will get tasted next week at my regular Thursday night soiree. This week is a dry week - no wine (at least not until later in the evening when most people except the diehards have left) and at least one print as the price of admission.

I will report on the quality (or lack thereof) when we do pop that plastic screwtop.

the author could probably have been talking about American wines in boxes, most notably Franzia :sick:

Those Aussie wines in boxes are a different breed. I believe Wyndham Estates do wines in boxes, and they're not a run-of-the-mill winery. But I could be wrong.

Please do give us an evaluation of it

Great? Well, delicious is more like it. Lip-smacking yummy (with apologies to Ms. Lipstick). Smooth, dense, full-bodied and full-flavored. But great? Ask me again 10 years from now. Let's see how they hold up. I went looking through my stash the other night and found another 8 bottles fo that yummy '97! I'm in goooood shape for the next few months.

And - remember the great port fiasco? Well, I picked up my (now full!  :P ) case last Sunday and am looking forward to popping the cork on a bottle within the next couple of weeks. Need some cigars, some good company, and a nice meal (hmmmm - tapas at Va de Vi maybe??) I will file my report as soon as the botlle is consumed, monsieurs et madamoiselles..

hehe good luck on that port - hope there'd be no more surprises when you pop up the cork...

pare what's the greatest vintage ba of cabernets in the 90's? Parang you have posted something about that before - I forgot na :P

hehe you really should give second thoughts about having that bad-wine contest. Guys are getting sick, guys are making themselves scarce, guys rather go to the colorless Midwest just to avoid drinking plonk during those events :lol:

how are the trees, pare? It's a good thing trees don't talk :upside:

That Cleavage Creek sure sounds interesting  :unsure:

Another great evocative name for a wine hehehe...

cheers pare!

we miss you here! If there's a way, haul your booty here for a quick sip with us......

Thanks! I did raise a nice, cool glass of dry rose to you guys. then drank it right down with nary a second thought! :lol:

Perhaps the contest has had its last run - I don't know. We do need to sample the Cleavage Crrek at least. the tree's doing well, thank you very much. 20 feet tall and still growing!! Not bad for a supposed 8 ft. shrub, huh?

hehe good luck on that port - hope there'd be no more surprises when you pop up the cork...

pare what's the greatest vintage ba of cabernets in the 90's? Parang you have posted something about that before - I forgot na :P

If the port's bad you'll hear my screams all the way across the big pond. :angry:

Best cab vintage of the 90s? For me it's got to be either the 99 or the 95. The 97 is pretty close, and the 94. The 92 and 93 are not bad at all. 90 and 91 were respectable. 96 was not bad at all! the 98 feels left out, doens't it? Not bad, just not as good as the others, at least in the napa valley. Shorter summer than the other years, and some rain at just the wrong time!

This year feels like it will be not as good as 98. Long, wet, cold winter, followed by soggy spring and a late summer (and cooler than normal, on the average). That will make for some less than optimally ripe grapes unless we get a nice, long warm spell that lasts well into October. Only time will tell. Should make for some pretty decent pinot noirs out of the Russian River area, though.

Oh just a quickie post before the flavor of this wonderful bordeaux I had last night bids a fond goodbye to my palate.

I've mostly stuck to Aussie wines simply because it was my first introduction to the world of wines. Since then I have tried a whole slew but somehow I found myself going back to Aussie. Am not all that adventurous perhaps as I believe in the maxim "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But last night I had the most wonderful introduction to a vintage bordeaux .... Château Ducru-Beaucaillou Saint Julien 1989.

Lush does not begin to describe it. It had a beckoning and almost tempestuous character and I wasn't quite sure if seductive was proper to use to describe this red but I checked out some of the reviews and to my surprise this is exactly how this red is described! Seductive to a point you just want to totally surrender ... tannin was quite strong but oh I have learned to love this mouth-puckering sensation lately, color was deep and dark which was reflective perhaps of the various black fruits you could taste.

The 89 vintage is meant to be kept till 2005 and sipped before 2006. I have to say I was truly impressed not just with the wine but with my date who went out of his way to prepare an intoxicating evenining for me down to the last minute detail .... the seduction worked. :lol:

Cheers!

p.s. my date asked me to include this: he loved the wine, good drop especially when drank off the skin. :lol:

Oh just a quickie post before the flavor of this wonderful bordeaux I had last night bids a fond goodbye to my palate.

I've mostly stuck to Aussie wines simply because it was my first introduction to the world of wines.  Since then I have tried a whole slew but somehow I found myself going back to Aussie.  Am not all that adventurous perhaps as I believe in the maxim "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  But last night I had the most wonderful introduction to a vintage bordeaux .... Château Ducru-Beaucaillou Saint Julien 1989.

Lush does not begin to describe it.  It had a beckoning and almost tempestuous character and I wasn't quite sure if seductive was proper to use to describe this red but I checked out some of the reviews and to my surprise this is exactly how this red is described!  Seductive to a point you just want to totally surrender ... tannin was quite strong but oh I have learned to love this mouth-puckering sensation lately, color was deep and dark which was reflective perhaps of the various black fruits you could taste.

The 89 vintage is meant to be kept till 2005 and sipped before 2006.  I have to say I was truly impressed not just with the wine but with my date who went out of his way to prepare an intoxicating evenining for me down to the last minute detail .... the seduction worked. :lol:

Cheers!

p.s. my date asked me to include this:  he loved the wine, good drop especially when drank off the skin. :lol:

a 1989 vintage .... WOW!!!! now i'm just wondering, are you sure you were describing the wine or your date? :wacko:

i have a HAPPY HANGOVER!!!!! *strikers

a 1989 vintage .... WOW!!!! now i'm just wondering,  are you sure you were describing the wine or your date? :wacko:

i have a HAPPY HANGOVER!!!!! *strikers

Hehe ... both? :lol:

Senyorrrrr Masi, you have to agree with me that the wine experience must be relatable to a life experience --- it must be able to evoke emotions to crystallize the moment. Otherwise what good is this precious lush liquid if it is strictly consumed like a mouthwash. :lol:

Pray tell about your happy hangover. :P

without the intent of "jumping the gun" on bods, we met last night and popped 2 bottles of spanish wines. the 1st one was a tampranillo (vintage and label, that i'll leave to bods. dont blame me, i just drink, talk and have a great time) and the other, a shiraz.

the tampranillo was simply, beyond words. first time ko e! so i didn't know what to expect nor was i expecting anything! it had a light purple red visual. the bouquet was fragrant and round, rich cherries. it was so captivating, that i wanted to taste it right away but held back for a minute as the bouquet was still evolving.

i took a sip and "bounced" it all over the palate. it was meaty but it was teasing me that i could not get a hold of the taste i was wanting to capture... fleeting yet elegant. as i said earlier, simply beyond words.

the second bottle was a shiraz (label and vintage, i don't remember, so what's new!). i was still in a state of "shock" that the shiraz was typical. i know i am not doing justice to it by simply passing it as typical. i will get another bottle and post my notes sometime soon.

btw, as for the eb, only bods and i showed up. but we were kept in awe by the Senoritas we had, a tampranillo and a shiraz.

i have a hangover and smile on my face. good thing i have my tall latte with an extra shot of espresso on hand to keep me in touch with reality.

have a good one.

Hehe ... both? :lol:

Senyorrrrr Masi, you have to agree with me that the wine experience must be relatable to a life experience --- it must be able to evoke emotions to crystallize the moment.  Otherwise what good is this precious lush liquid if it is strictly consumed like a mouthwash. :lol:

Pray tell about your happy hangover. :P

simply put.... passion!!!!

last night was a blast!!! last time i drank where the bottle to person ratio was 1 was with a relative who took me out to a steak dinner, wine and cigars at Sam and Harry's in Washington, D.C. he was a timid and reserve man but after 1 bottle each, we were laughing and racing on I-95 with a blood alcohol level which could be tagged as "flammable"!!! :lol:

Speaking of floored, my 2 girls from work were floored yesterday when they received a bottle each of Chateau Beychevelle Grand Vin 1993 Bordeaux from my very special constant date. The bottles came with a note saying, "Thanks for taking care of my smitten kitten, hope you enjoy this" or something to that effect (haven't memorized it verbatim :rolleyes: but gimme a few more days I can! :lol:). Obviously I had the grilling of my life from them and from a dozen more people as they decided to open their bottles at 5pm and shared it with the service teams we work with.

1993, I read, was not a very good year for the chateaus but those who sampled the drop were unanimous in saying that it was smoldering, earthy with "plummy" fruit and spice. Twas a good drop to sip while being asked to spill details about the sender. Good thing the only thing I spilled was some of that bordeaux on my white lycra top! :lol: Unfortunately no white wine, salt nor baking soda in sight so I wonder if those stains will ever come off. :unsure:

Speaking of floored, my 2 girls from work were floored yesterday when they received a bottle each of Chateau Beychevelle Grand Vin 1993 Bordeaux from my very special constant date.  The bottles came with a note saying, "Thanks for taking care of my smitten kitten, hope you enjoy this" or something to that effect (haven't memorized it verbatim :rolleyes: but gimme a few more days I can! :lol:).  Obviously I had the grilling of my life from them and from a dozen more people as they decided to open their bottles at 5pm and shared it with the service teams we work with.

1993, I read, was not a very good year for the chateaus but those who sampled the drop were unanimous in saying that it was smoldering, earthy with "plummy" fruit and spice.  Twas a good drop to sip while being asked to spill details about the sender.  Good thing the only thing I spilled was some of that bordeaux on my white lycra top! :lol:  Unfortunately no white wine, salt nor baking soda in sight so I wonder if those stains will ever come off. :unsure:

WOW! for the 2nd time!!! a 1993 vintage... Sayang you spilled it !!! :rolleyes:

well, at least you can always buy a new white shirt! :upside: (fallout of the hangover and the espresso!!!!)

OFF TOPIC POST: Sorry but I just have to post this as there is no other way to share it with you.

International symbol of marriage is Approved

New York-AP- On April 21, 2005, After 5 years of heated debate, the Commission of Human Rights approved the new International Symbol of Marriage:

without the intent of "jumping the gun" on bods, we met last night and popped 2 bottles of spanish wines.  the 1st one was a tampranillo (vintage and label, that i'll leave to bods.  dont blame me, i just drink, talk and have a great time) and the other, a shiraz.

My apologies for not making it last night as I was caught up in another dinner meeting. I was actually able to slip away from it at around 10pm with the intention of passing by Barcino on the way home. Only to realize that my phone's battery was dead by that time and so had no way of checking with bods regarding your whereabouts.

Oh well. Maybe next time. . .

My apologies for not making it last night as I was caught up in another dinner meeting.  I was actually able to slip away from it at around 10pm with the intention of passing by Barcino on the way home.  Only to realize that my phone's battery was dead by that time and so had no way of checking with bods regarding your whereabouts.

Oh well.  Maybe next time. . .

no prob with me... we'll have other opportunities. have a safe trip...

Hola wine drinkers! Did any of you come over for the Spanish foodfest here in Cebu a week or so ago?

I'm not sure if pareng masi was aware of it...how was it?

I thought you were now in the Land of the Volcanoes :)

If you're here in Manila, give us a holler so we can have an impromptu WEB with you - magaling kami ni pareng masi sa mga biglaan hehehe....