HEY!!! bods, wassup!!! i'm back posting pero out of site pa rin, hehehe.

basta.... lets drink when I'm there na di matuloy-tuloy. hehehe

anyway, i got friend looking for a sales person for a wine company in MNL. anyone interested who at least knows anything about wine can send me a PM. sorry out of topic ba?

wazzup ka dyan - ang tagal mo nang nawala :P

pards remember madami ka nang utang sa akin - last year mo pa sinasabi yang paiinumin mo ko hehehe...pero seriously when will you be here - I got a lot questions about the wine business - maybe you can help with some info..thanks pare!

pare dyan sa sales person mo, are you looking for a female or a male? Pwede ba ko dyan kahit part-time? Kahit walang sweldo basta may supply lang ng wine every payday :P

Re: age-worthy whites...I've often wondered it there was some truth to this, and your post made me believe that it happens.....kaya pala pare, I have some 1999 Australian semillons and sauvignon blancs and their tasting notes said they'd be good for at least 5 years...When I tasted them last year, they somehow tasted far-out different and way-much better than any white (or red) that I've had...even those who bought them from me attested to this and they've been pestering me since.....I've stopped selling because I'm keeping the rest :P

Yup - I've had this case of cheap zin that I bought 2 years ago. Actually I bought 2 cases 'cause it was so cheap. $20 a case! And it was drinkable. So it makes a good background kinda wine to have around. Anyway - it got much better the first year I had it, but it's since stopped improving leading me to believe I really need to drink this up NOW. So now I bring it to our weekly photo drinkfests.

Hehehehe- the advantages of being the wine seller - if you find a wine you really like you can take it off the market and keep it for yourself! :cool: If I were in a position to do that, I'd lose money! I'd be keeping all the wine to myself! :lol: As it is, buying at retail I still have (did a quick inventory the other night while I was looking for a bottle to open) 6 cases on racks in the closet, 5 caess between the two fridges, and 8 under the house! And I thought I was cutting back buying! Guess not.

I'll be going to visit Vincent Arroyo in Calistoga on Saturday. Barrel tasting time. He makes some of the best cabs around. Sells out each year - just at the winery. In fact, it's so popular, you need to sign up early to get on the list. Wonder how much wine I'll be buying on this trip. :unsure:

Neibaum-Coppola is releasing the latest Rubicon (2001) in March. I haven't missed that party in the past 5 years and I don't intend to start now. :P That's good for a few bottles as well.

Yup - I've had this case of cheap zin that I bought 2 years ago. Actually I bought 2 cases 'cause it was so cheap. $20 a case! And it was drinkable. So it makes a good background kinda wine to have around. Anyway - it got much better the first year I had it, but it's since stopped improving leading me to believe I really need to drink this up NOW. So now I bring it to our weekly photo drinkfests.

Hehehehe- the advantages of being the wine seller - if you find a wine you really like you can take it off the market and keep it for yourself!  :cool: If I were in a position to do that, I'd lose money! I'd be keeping all the wine to myself! :lol:  As it is, buying at retail I still have (did a quick inventory the other night while I was looking for a bottle to open) 6 cases on racks in the closet, 5 caess between the two fridges, and 8 under the house! And I thought I was cutting back buying! Guess not.

I'll be going to visit Vincent Arroyo in Calistoga on Saturday. Barrel tasting time. He makes some of the best cabs around. Sells out each year - just at the winery. In fact, it's so popular, you need to sign up early to get on the list. Wonder how much wine I'll be buying on this trip.  :unsure:

Neibaum-Coppola is releasing the latest Rubicon (2001) in March. I haven't missed that party in the past 5 years and I don't intend to start now. :P That's good for a few bottles as well.

on the other hand - wine-selling is the best business - if you can't sell it, you can drink it :upside:

Just came back from a Business Trip to Shanghai and got to try a really awesome wine.a Chateau Roumieu sauternes.The write up is as follows

Sauternes,the great sweet white wine from Bordeaux,is a rare and prestigous product.Botrytis Cinerea,a fungus,is harnessed to create the "noble Rot"which allows the grapes to dehydrate and concentrate the sugar and aromas without the loss of essential balancing acid.In fact,the Botrytis Cinerea only grows in a very special microclimate,and due to the wine s natural concentration,each vine produces only 2 to 3 glasses of wine

with 89% Semillon,10% Sauvignon Blanc and 1% Muscadelle,the sweetest grapes are handpicked.It is smooth,luscious,very fruity with flavors of apricot and peach,balanced with good acidity,Sort of like an ice wine but using dehydration instead of Ice to concentrate the sweetness.Is it available here in Manila.I bought a bottle for 800 RMB or roughly 5400 pesos in Shanghai.It was on sale at the HK Duty free at 80$ US.Anybody here have price ideas if this wine is available here in Manila??? :)

Hey, bods, how's life over there?

People here are going gaga with Pinot of any kind. . .

Since the released of the movie "Sideways", everybody wants to taste Pinot.

Even in the movie, they hate the "merlot", guess I'm in a good company then.

Yeah - pinot's the latest fad. Wonder how long it will last before there's a new favorite. Public opinion is soooooo fickle!

Then there are those of us who hve enjoyed pinot in its various incarnations over the years - the austere, steely Burgudies, the soft, lush California pinots, the occasional champagne made from pinot grapes, the fruity Oregonians.......

Some time ago, I drove down to San Luis Obispo and did some tasting along Hwy 46. Lots of syrahs and zins (not unexpectedly so - the climate inland gets nice and toasty in the summer) but I was surprised to taste some very tasty pinots as well. Mostly from vineyards in the protected valleys closer to the coast where the fog rolls in at night.

I was wrong - Sideways was still on the big screen as late as a couple of weeks ago! So I went to see it. Interesting movie - I can understand what all the fuss is about. Nice to see that most of the wines and wineries shown are real - except for Frass Canyon which was shot at the Fess Parker winery. Some time later this year, after most of the wannabess have come and gone, I'll head on down to visit the Santa Barbara wineries and taste some of those wines - at least the latest vintages.

Hey, bods, how's life over there?

People here are going gaga with Pinot of any kind. . .

Since the released of the movie "Sideways", everybody wants to taste Pinot.

Even in the movie, they hate the "merlot", guess I'm in a good company then.

pare welcome back! everything's cool here :cool:

The movie was shown here but I don't see any rush to the wine stores hehehe...guess it's just another "small" movie ignored by the movie-going public...oh well what a pity...

I just can't imagine the impact that movie made there - I mean people going nuts over pinot - I hope their ardor stays - baka riding the bandwagon lang ang mga yun..

cheers, pare! I hope we see you here!

Yeah - pinot's the latest fad. Wonder how long it will last before there's a new favorite. Public opinion is soooooo fickle!

Then there are those of us who hve enjoyed pinot in its various incarnations over the years - the austere, steely Burgudies, the soft, lush California pinots, the occasional champagne made from pinot grapes, the fruity Oregonians.......

Some time ago, I drove down to San Luis Obispo and did some tasting along Hwy 46. Lots of syrahs and zins (not unexpectedly so - the climate inland gets nice and toasty in the summer) but I was surprised to taste some very tasty pinots as well. Mostly from vineyards in the protected valleys closer to the coast where the fog rolls in at night.

I was wrong - Sideways was still on the big screen as late as a couple of weeks ago! So I went to see it. Interesting movie - I can understand what all the fuss is about. Nice to see that most of the wines and wineries shown are real - except for Frass Canyon which was shot at the Fess Parker winery. Some time later this year, after most of the wannabess have come and gone, I'll head on down to visit the Santa Barbara wineries and taste some of those wines - at least the latest vintages.

yeah pare better avoid the mad rush now - come back later when all the buzz has died down and there you'll see the true pinot and/or wine lovers...

I think I better get to taste some pinots too - it's been a while since I had one...gotta check out what pinots are here...

good day, folks!

Wine is often described using words we know from other tastes and smells.This is because wine is made of chemical compounds similar to those found in fruits, vegetables and spices. Different grapes are associated with different aromas/tastes of different compounds.

The following is a wine flavor profile of common grape varieties. I have purposely omitted those fruits which are not familiar to us here:

White Grapes:

Chardonnay - butter, melon, apple, pineapple, vanilla (if oaked)

Sauvignon blanc - asparagus

Semillon - honey, orange, lime

Riesling - citrus fruits, honey

Gewurtztraminer - lychees, spice

Viognier - peaches, pear

Red Grapes:

Cabernet Sauvignon - chocolate, mint, tobacco

Pinot Noir - cherry, raspberry

Zinfandel - mint, mixed spices, black cherry

Shiraz - tobacco, pepper

Grenache - smoky, pepper

Tempranillo - vanilla, strawberry, tobacco

Sangiovese - herbs, leathery, earthy

Merlot - plums, pepper, coffee

Cabernet franc - tobacco, grass

When I was still in the Philippines I was not into wines. . .

foremost because I was ignorant about any wine. . .

second because their expensive compare to beer. . .

lastly, I associated it with those "trying hard" to be class. . .

but now I prefer red or white wines better. . .

it is not heavy in the belly, unlike beer, and I like the crispness of wines. . .

I like to trying different brands and labels. . .

at least those that I can afford with the budget. . .

Edited by private5star

it is not heavy in the belly, unlike beer, and I like the crispness of wines. . .

way to go, pare!

wine really has a hard time to be popular...the way I see the drinking culture here in the country, folks drink to get drunk, ok? You can accomplish that by drinking beer and spirits - but you have to drink a lot of wine to get drunk :P

Most people don't get it that wine is not a beverage to get drunk per se. It is something to be taken with food as it enhances the taste of certain foods and vice-versa.

Recent medical studies indicating the health benefits of wine has increased wine drinkers but not that much yet.

Like you, it was also a long road for me to get acquianted with and to actually love wine..

cheers!

Same here - it took a while for me to get over the "what's cheap that I can get drunk with?" syndrome.

Famous quote (and I can't remember who said it!! Anyone know?) - "Life is too short to drink bad wine". Now that I'm over the "cheap is good" phase of my life, I am now drinking wht I can fit into my budget and buying less to get better quality. I'm fiding that I get mroe enjoyment from good wine in less quantities than from bad wine in copious amounts.

I also discovered that "class" has little to do with wine except for those who are just plain trying hard to impress and are highly impressionable. Does this sound like I'm finally maturing? I hope so! It's about time! :P

So - what are your favorites?

Post your tasting notes, your favorites, your latest great buys! Makes bods green with envy.... :lol: :lol:

I came across this article on palate profile. I really helps wine afficionados this part of the globe who are not accustomed to berries and other fruits from the west. It as make appreciation easier...

Palate profiles are frequently used by our winemakers to depict visually the nature of the wine that they are trying to achieve during the final blending of barrels prior to bottling; or to illustrate the differences that exist between wines of the same variety grown in different vineyards or regions.

The concept is simple and highly effective: without use of emotive or descriptive words, the winemakers simply graph the intensity of flavour as they taste the wine on initial impact ('front palate'); as it fills the mouth ('mid palate'); and as they spit - or, in polite company, swallow the wine ('back palate'). From there, they then trace the intensity of the wine as it gradually fades away in the after taste, or 'finish'.

The results are remarkable in that, without fuss, fine words or fanfare, the nature of a wine is revealed to the observer. This can then be used by wine professionals as a 'ready reckoner' through which to gauge their needs, contrasting the palate profile of the wine against the style of food they are serving.

I came across this article on palate profile.  I really helps wine afficionados this part of the globe who are not accustomed to berries and other fruits from the west.  It as make appreciation easier...

Palate profiles are frequently used by our winemakers to depict visually the nature of the wine that they are trying to achieve during the final blending of barrels prior to bottling; or to illustrate the differences that exist between wines of the same variety grown in different vineyards or regions.

The concept is simple and highly effective: without use of emotive or descriptive words, the winemakers simply graph the intensity of flavour as they taste the wine on initial impact ('front palate'); as it fills the mouth ('mid palate'); and as they spit - or, in polite company, swallow the wine ('back palate'). From there, they then trace the intensity of the wine as it gradually fades away in the after taste, or 'finish'.

The results are remarkable in that, without fuss, fine words or fanfare, the nature of a wine is revealed to the observer. This can then be used by wine professionals as a 'ready reckoner' through which to gauge their needs, contrasting the palate profile of the wine against the style of food they are serving.

Sounds like a really interesting approach, and sounds likeit would be a more universal language for wine. Where'd you see the article? Can you post a link to it?

Wine is often described using words we know from other tastes and smells.This is because wine is made of chemical compounds similar to those found in fruits, vegetables and spices. Different grapes are associated with different aromas/tastes of different compounds.

The following is a wine flavor profile of common grape varieties. I have purposely omitted those fruits which are not familiar to us here:

White Grapes:

Chardonnay - butter, melon, apple, pineapple, vanilla (if oaked)

Sauvignon blanc - asparagus

Semillon - honey, orange, lime

Riesling - citrus fruits, honey

Gewurtztraminer - lychees, spice

Viognier - peaches, pear

Red Grapes:

Cabernet Sauvignon - chocolate, mint, tobacco

Pinot Noir - cherry, raspberry

Zinfandel - mint, mixed spices, black cherry

Shiraz - tobacco, pepper

Grenache - smoky, pepper

Tempranillo - vanilla, strawberry, tobacco

Sangiovese - herbs, leathery, earthy

Merlot - plums, pepper, coffee

Cabernet franc - tobacco, grass

Great summary bods! But can you post the full set of flavors?

Same here - it took a while for me to get over the "what's cheap that I can get drunk with?" syndrome.

Famous quote (and I can't remember who said it!! Anyone know?) - "Life is too short to drink bad wine". Now that I'm over the "cheap is good" phase of my life, I am now drinking wht I can fit into my budget and buying less to get better quality. I'm fiding that I get mroe enjoyment from good wine in less quantities than from bad wine in copious amounts.

I also discovered that "class" has little to do with wine except for those who are just plain trying hard to impress and are highly impressionable. Does this sound like I'm finally maturing? I hope so! It's about time!  :P

So - what are your favorites?

Post your tasting notes, your favorites, your latest great buys! Makes bods green with envy....  :lol:  :lol:

:P so pagtutulungan nyo pa pala ako!

yes..."class"...if you would notice those who are so into wine couldn't care less if they impress or not...they just drink away..they also try to stay away from those they know who are only trying to impress by drinking wine...but they do try to help out those who they think are serious enough to know more about wine...

cheers! and stop giving private5star some ideas on how to make me green :P

I came across this article on palate profile.  I really helps wine afficionados this part of the globe who are not accustomed to berries and other fruits from the west.  It as make appreciation easier...

is this approach being used now, pare? I deduce by wine professionals, they might mean sommeliers, as they are trying to match it up with food...

Great summary bods! But can you post the full set of flavors?

there's not much I omitted, pare, but here are the others:

Sauvinon blanc - gooseberries

Gewurtztraminer - rose petals

Viognier - nutmeg, apricot

Chenin blanc - wet wool, beeswax, almond

Marsanne - honeysuckle, marzipan

Pinot noir - raspberry, violets

Zinfandel - black cherry

Shiraz - blackberry

Grenache - raspberry'

Sangiovese - black cherry

Merlot - black cherry