Who among here has seen SIDEWAYS? I read it's a delectable comedy film about the absurdist world of the wine-obsessive :D

Directed by Alexander payne of About Schmidt fame - tells the story of two friends - one of whom is about to be married. They set off on a last bachelor fling - a wine-tasting cum getting-laid trip through the Santa Ynez Valley (home of Sanford, Firestone, Fess Parker). The article I read says "it deflates the pomposity of the wine world but pays great respect to great wines." It was made with a connoiseur's eye.

One of the lead characters tries to get drunk in a winery tasting bar ("Sir, this is a Tasting Room!") and upends a full spittoon into his mouth :D

finally i was able to clear my head again.

been to the food and wine expo few hours ago and i went home really tipsy (thank God for subway i didn't have to take a cab).

I've never seen so many wines from different countries in one roof before. I was overwhelmed really coz i don't have any idea where to go first.

Okay, i followed my curiousity and went to the Vintage booth first.

I was asked, "How do you want to start, do you want to start with the reds or whites?" I was like, "Ha???" Okay I finally understood, so i started with red wines being my preferred wine anyway. Since I've been hearing about those Zinfandel i tried one from the Cline Cellar (2001) about C$36/750ml, very good, liked it...then followed by a merlot from sterling vineyard it was also a 2001. There goes my tasting, reds after reds i think i've had at least 6 different reds of about 2 oz each. I was getting a funny feeling already and i was just starting. My friend pulled me away from that booth, missing my chance to have a taste of the Remy Martin Champagne Cognac.

Anyway, we went to the Wines of France Section and naturally i picked the Beaujolais (Pisse-Dru Beaujolais A.C.), slightly tannic and cheap bottle for C$8.95.

At that point i was trying to make a mental note of the names and prices...

Still in the France Section i tried Carmen Reserve 2001 (Merlot),Cabernet Sauvignon (Domaine Paul Mas La Forge) and Calvet's Cabernet Sauvignon, and some more Merlot from a bottle i can't remember the name.

The California wines section was kinda far still, so on the way there, we stopped by the Wine's of New York Section...I tasted a Merlot 2000 from Martha Clara Vineyards (i remembered the name coz i associated it with Martha Stewart, ehhehe) and they're in Long Island i was told and another one from Galluccio Family winery. Funny man talking to me like I knew what he was talking about, i was like, " really?" "wow, must be fun!", "great wine", "nice knowing that info"...but anyways, i learned some info though that those NY laws regarding their wine distribution restriction is already being questioned and apparently they are trying to change/fight that with their government, whatever..heheheh :D

(to be continued)

Edited by freakish

(sorry...i know, i know, it seems i'm writing a novel here already, just bear with me, heheh. i'm trying to share with you my first experience with this kind of event) :hypocritesmiley:

continuation.... :D

Since there's some food for tasting too, we took a break from the wines, we rinsed our tasting glasses (yes we get our own tasting glass when we enter the great hall and there are spit bowls and rinse stations all over), and chose our food. Shrimp, raw tuna, pasta, choco fountain w/fruits, and of course california rolls. Good food. Time to check out those calif wines...and i spotted the Coppola wines. I tasted each kind. The Francis Coppola Claret 2002, the Merlot 2002, Diamond Chardonnay 2003, and the Rosso. So far I loved the Merlot..after that i couldn't really differentiate their tastes anymore, hehehe :) I remember i haven't had that much white wine yet except for the diamond one...so i tried the Chardonnay Carneros 2002 from the Benziger Fam winery....nope not for me.

I figured, i should try cocktails so we went to that section and ordered a beaujolais/sparkling wine/cream cocktail...amazing very nice! Then Italians have their own way of mixing stuff...there's this concoction they call Talea Martini with 1 part talea cream and 1 part Ketel One Vodka, was served to us chilled in a martini glass. And oh my, i know i've had another one with a weird name..it tasted bitter/sweet and i know there was vodka in it.

I'm sure i've forgotten some of the stuff i've consumed, nevertheless, it has given me the pleasure and of course a renewed appreciation with wine or alcoholic beverage. Better yet...now i will know what to give/bring to friends' houses this holiday season with the endless dinner invitations we will be going to. I will not just blindly select from the LCBO/Liqour store counter for the product i will be buying. I've had a very good experience today, and i know i'm looking forward for next year's.

There were some products i haven't tried though due to time constraint...there were wines of Africa, Wines of New Zealand, Wines of Germany, Australia, etc...maybe next year..something to look forward to.

oh, and did i mention that the California Wine Section have what they call California Vino-A-Go-Go lounge? yap...couches and little tables and stools and two ledges where two gorgeous girls dance for thirty minutes and in 30 minutes interval......and they look like barbie dolls! Panalo talaga...i enjoyed it, i mean admiring the way they move their bodies seductive but not gross.

hokie...thank you for reading this...and i promise i will not write a long message again, hehehe :boo: :upside:

Edited by freakish

Heya Bods, thanks for the info kahit a lil too late! :lol: Am off to Manley beach tomorrow and hoping there would be a wine a foodfest (they do this regularly at Manley I am told). Cheers! :)

Z, hehe I gather I will have a taste of that drop Bods mentioned soon as I can get on the train and then bus to Newington. Soon mate! :D

hey pareng Z...is that Aussie TV? Are you back in Sydney?

And I wonder when can I taste that heavenly Watershed Shiraz again hehehe...

good cheers, matey!

I'll be back around May mate. Watershed is coming out with more affordable wines though nothing compared to the premium drop we've sampled. Both the Shiraz and Merlot have won gold awards. :D

Heya Bods, thanks for the info kahit a lil too late! :lol:  Am off to Manley beach tomorrow and hoping there would be a wine a foodfest (they do this regularly at Manley I am told).  Cheers! :)

Z, hehe I gather I will have a taste of that drop Bods mentioned soon as I can get on the train and then bus to Newington.  Soon mate! :D

I guess I'll be seeing you next week ;)

(sorry...i know, i know, it seems i'm writing a novel here already, just bear with me, heheh. i'm trying to share with you my first experience with this kind of event) :hypocritesmiley:

Since there's some food for tasting too, we took a break from the wines, we rinsed our tasting glasses (yes we get our own tasting glass when we enter the great hall and there are spit bowls and rinse stations all over), and chose our food. Shrimp, raw tuna, pasta, choco fountain w/fruits, and of course california rolls. Good food. Time to check out those calif wines...and i spotted the Coppola wines. I tasted each kind. The Francis Coppola Claret 2002, the Merlot 2002, Diamond Chardonnay 2003, and the Rosso. So far I loved the Merlot..after that i couldn't really differentiate their tastes anymore, hehehe :) I remember i haven't had that much white wine yet except for the diamond one...so i tried the Chardonnay Carneros 2002 from the Benziger Fam winery....nope not for me.

I figured, i should try cocktails so we went to that section and ordered a beaujolais/sparkling wine/cream cocktail...amazing very nice! Then Italians have their own way of mixing stuff...there's this concoction they call Talea Martini with 1 part talea cream and 1 part Ketel One Vodka, was served to us chilled in a martini glass. And oh my, i know i've had another one with a weird name..it tasted bitter/sweet and i know there was vodka in it.

I'm sure i've forgotten some of the stuff i've consumed, nevertheless, it has given me the pleasure and of course a renewed appreciation with wine or alcoholic beverage. Better yet...now i will know what to give/bring to friends' houses this holiday season with the endless dinner invitations we will be going to. I will not just blindly select from the LCBO/Liqour store counter for the product i will be buying. I've had a very good experience today, and i know i'm looking forward for next year's.

There were some products i haven't tried though due to time constraint...there were wines of Africa, Wines of New Zealand, Wines of Germany, Australia, etc...maybe next year..something to look forward to.

oh, and did i mention that the California Wine Section have what they call California Vino-A-Go-Go lounge? yap...couches and little tables and stools and two ledges where two gorgeous girls dance for thirty minutes and in 30 minutes interval......and they look like barbie dolls! Panalo talaga...i enjoyed it, i mean admiring the way they move their bodies seductive but not gross.

hokie...thank you for reading this...and i promise i will not write a long message again, hehehe :boo:  :upside:

Hey Miss F! Seems like you had a good time at that wine fair!

Of all those Coppola wines, perhaps the best value all around (price vs. taste) is the Rosso. Over here I can get it at Costco for all of $6.99, and it's a good "drink now!" wine. Not much for chards, so no coment on those, except to say the 2003 wines are still a bit too young for drinking, even the whites. And the reds could use a few more years (except for that Rosso which is good now).

On the Thanksgiving front - in addition to the wines I talked about (except I brought a 1998 Armida instead of the 1997 J pinot noir), we had a Husch pinot. 2001. Not bad at all, after you give it a bit of time to settle down. I figure in a couple of years it will be g reat wine. Time to go find some to lay down under the house to rest.

Joined the Mitchell Katz wine club, and picked up my two winter release wines - a cab and a pinot noir. Also picked up my Fenestra wines - a 1999 Smith Hook Vineyards, and a 2002 syrah. That syrah will be real good in five yeras.

Now I'm in Hsinchu, Taiwan (on business) where there's no good wine to speak of. :( Oh well, back in a week and more wine to drink! Saturday is the Livermore Valley winter wine festival with wine tasting, arts and crafts, and all around holiday cheer. The Sunday is the Neibaum-Coppola holiday arts and wine festival, with yet more arts and crafts to keep the womenfolk busy while my friend and I get silly on the wines.

hokie...thank you for reading this...and i promise i will not write a long message again, hehehe :boo:  :upside:

heya there, ms.freakish! kaya ka pala matagal nawala!

Well thanks so much for that FR, hehehehe....sure was nice knowing you enjoyed your trip to that winefest and it sure got me drooling over the wines you mentioned.

Long messages are always welcome here, ok? we do learn a lot from each other..

cheers!

Heya Bods, thanks for the info kahit a lil too late! :lol:  Am off to Manley beach tomorrow and hoping there would be a wine a foodfest (they do this regularly at Manley I am told).  Cheers! :)

Z, hehe I gather I will have a taste of that drop Bods mentioned soon as I can get on the train and then bus to Newington.  Soon mate! :D

hehehe sorry....I gather you did not make it to the winefest...

yup - that Watershed is some knockout - better try it...

cheers!

I'll be back around May mate.  Watershed is coming out with more affordable wines though nothing compared to the premium drop we've sampled.  Both the Shiraz and Merlot have won gold awards.  :D

ok I'll be looking around to see you again - with or without any Watershed - you're good company, matey!

on second thought, try to bring around those affordable lines para hindi naman masyadong nakakahiya :D

cheers, and good luck there, pare!

Of all those Coppola wines, perhaps the best value all around (price vs. taste) is the Rosso. Over here I can get it at Costco for all of $6.99, and it's a good "drink now!" wine. Not much for chards, so no coment on those, except to say the 2003 wines are still a bit too young for drinking, even the whites. And the reds could use a few more years (except for that Rosso which is good now).

On the Thanksgiving front - in addition to the wines I talked about (except I brought a 1998 Armida instead of the 1997 J pinot noir), we had a Husch pinot. 2001. Not bad at all, after you give it a bit of time to settle down. I figure in a couple of years it will be g reat wine. Time to go find some to lay down under the house to rest.

Joined the Mitchell Katz wine club, and picked up my two winter release wines - a cab and a pinot noir. Also picked up my Fenestra wines - a 1999 Smith Hook Vineyards, and a 2002 syrah. That syrah will be real good in five yeras.

Now I'm in Hsinchu, Taiwan (on business) where there's no good wine to speak of. :( Oh well, back in a week and more wine to drink! Saturday is the Livermore Valley winter wine festival with wine tasting, arts and crafts, and all around holiday cheer. The Sunday is the Neibaum-Coppola holiday arts and wine festival, with yet more arts and crafts to keep the womenfolk busy while my friend and I get silly on the wines.

pare kainggit naman kayo diyan...you're neckdeep in wine fests that soon you'll have wine dripping from your pores...what I wouldn't give to be there!

Try to give some lowdown when you've attended those fairs, ok, to complete our torture here :(

cheers, pare, have a safe trip!

Sunday I was at Wine Depot and I was sure impressed by the hugeness of their showroom. They do have a sale going on till Christmas and they got all these promo gimmicks. It turns out that WineDirect is the agent here of Constellation because Ravenswoods, Dunnewood, Simi, Blackstone flooded the entire showroom. So many wines to buy - too little budget hehehe...

But I did get to buy a Grant Burge 2000 Shiraz at quite a price I don't normally spend (read: more than P600) if only to whet my curiosity at this premium Aussie label and to taste for myself a real-honest-to goodness Barossa bruiser...That bottle would be for Christmas but I might buy more because they have a promo which says you buy 6 Grant Burge and get a wine cooler for free...

Also I'd really have to go back if only to get my hands on a Ravenswood Zin or a Simi - they have another promo where you get a free bottle of Nathanson Creek when you buy any three of Ravenswood or Blackstone...

After Wine Depot I swung over to Anthony's to check out masi's info but it was closed (at 12 noon)?.....

Sunday I was at Wine Depot and I was sure impressed by the hugeness of their showroom. They do have a sale going on till Christmas and they got all these promo gimmicks. It turns out that WineDirect is the agent here of Constellation because Ravenswoods, Dunnewood, Simi, Blackstone flooded the entire showroom. So many wines to buy - too little budget hehehe...

But I did get to buy a Grant Burge 2000 Shiraz at quite a price I don't normally spend (read: more than P600) if only to whet my curiosity at this premium Aussie label and to taste for myself a real-honest-to goodness Barossa bruiser...That bottle would be for Christmas but I might buy more because they have a promo which says you buy 6 Grant Burge and get a wine cooler for free...

Also I'd really have to go back if only to get my hands on a Ravenswood Zin or a Simi - they have another promo where you get a free bottle of Nathanson Creek when you buy any three of Ravenswood or Blackstone...

After Wine Depot I swung over to Anthony's to check out masi's info but it was closed (at 12 noon)?.....

bods,

where is wine depot? I want to check it out too!

Anthony's is close on Sundays, but you can go to Magnum (same owner) at Greenbelt 2. They sell wines at the same price provided its take out...

good luck...

bods,

where is wine depot?  I want to check it out too!

Anthony's is close on Sundays, but you can go to Magnum (same owner) at Greenbelt 2.  They sell wines at the same price provided its take out...

good luck...

oh well...sayang talaga I wanted to hit two grapeskins with one stone last Sunday :D

Wine Depot is at Malugay corner Ayala, near Zuellig....I got so sign up as a member when I was there...

They have free tastings every Friday.....can we "accidentally" bump into each other there one of these days? what do you say?

Hey Bods! Ravenswood! If you like zins, pick up a Ravenswood. Or 2. Or 3. What the heck, pick up a case!!! :D The Lodi zin or the vintners reserve 2000 should be real good. Or, settle for the 2002 - still good.

Look for a report next week. I hope to get myself good and schnockered on those Coppola wines on Sunday. Gotta make up for this week without wine! :wacko:

so maybe i can buy those "young" wines now and drink it later, say two years or a year from now? hhmmnn, i might do that. I'll just buy now since they're not always available on the local stores and some of them has to be ordered direct from the distributor (well that's what the lady on the counter told me)