the tabacalera outlets in sm have the coffee, choco, vanilla and stawberry flavored caprichos.  i prefer coffee flavor because i'm an avid coffee drinker (i have posts on coffee related thread).  but choose what you feel and trust your instincts, flavored or unflavored.

i dont usually take in the smoke like the way a cigarette smoker would inhale the smoke.  you simply puff your cigar, and expel the smoke after  (hithit-buga) but in my case i let the smoke linger in my mouth then  release the smoke slowly trying to savor the smell of the smoke.  a word of warning though, the taste of cigar tobacco may be overpowering, for a first time, but once you get used to it , you will appreciate a tinge of spicy, leathery taste that is left after smoking...

hard to explain but, as a word of consolacion, i was a first timer in cigar, once, i too had difficulty in understanding what i was doing... now smoking is part of my passion, my living, my life....

i wont give it up even if my doctor told me to stop smoking.... then what, i stop living? 

good luck... have a great weekend..

Now that gives me an idea on how to go about it - thanks a lot, masi - so you don't inhale. Now I gotta try that!

Coffee-flavored should be interesting...

Have a great week, pare!

For those who want to try cigars.  try qutting cigarettes for about a week, then smoke cigars.  You will enjoy cigars more because your body won't be looking for the nicotine in your lungs.

I tried cigars but it's much better if a girl smoked my cigar.

That's a novel idea - stopping for a week before going into cigars. Now I guess the stopping part is the most difficult.

Cheers, pare!

Good advises Masi. :cool: 

My 2 cents, if you're going for Cigars go for Cubans its far better, although the price range may be material but the quality is far better of it terms of taste.

Cigars are made from natural ingredients, therefore it must be good for the health.  'Heck anything that we enjoy is good for us right???? :blush:

Right you are, pare!

but everything in moderation, no matter how good it is..

MAyroong wine-tasting but it is the booth type at the Glorietta Mall on October 8-10.  I guess we will be featuring the riesling from Gunderloch, Weisbrodt, and maybe Kunstler. More details on my next post. :)

The formal event will be held at the Tower Club later tyhis month but it is by invitation only (European Chamber of Commerce- GERMAN MONTH).

Ok pare thanks - we'll be looking forward to more news on that wine-tasting booth of yours. Give us the specific place in Glorietta, ok? and will you be there?

MAyroong wine-tasting but it is the booth type at the Glorietta Mall on October 8-10.  I guess we will be featuring the riesling from Gunderloch, Weisbrodt, and maybe Kunstler. More details on my next post. :)

The formal event will be held at the Tower Club later tyhis month but it is by invitation only (European Chamber of Commerce- GERMAN MONTH).

where exactly in Glorietta, pare, and will you be there?

Ok bods. Hope you enjoy your first cigar. Pero tama si Masi. Try the chocolate caprichos. I occasionally smoke Tabacaleras since I found Cubans a tad expensive (fiscal crisis and all). I especially like Romeo and Julieta, and a friend of mine let me taste Padron (from Nicaragua). Both are excellent but expensive.

Anyway baka mamatay na si Castro magiging bukas na uli ang Cuban economy.

Prosit!!!

I forgot to ask: Has anyone tried a hookah? Someone told me that have one in Jerusalem restaurant along makati ave. It was P200 a pop. Masarap ang cherry flavor. For those who don't know a hookah is a Turkish/Middle Eastern pipe, like a flask, with a container for water, to cool the smoke before you inhale it.

OFF-TOPIC

A person swears by the taste of the hookah which is far superior to cigars and cigarettes. I think they previously used the hookah in Turkey to smoke hash-hish (i.e. hash). Hence the words "assassin" which was derived from the word "hash-hishin" - or a warrior who got stoned before he attempted to k*ll someone.

I forgot to ask:  Has anyone tried a hookah?  Someone told me that have one in Jerusalem restaurant along makati ave.  It was P200 a pop.  Masarap ang cherry flavor.  For those who don't know a hookah is a Turkish/Middle Eastern pipe, like a flask, with a container for water, to cool the smoke before you inhale it.

OFF-TOPIC

A person swears by the taste of the hookah which is far superior to cigars and cigarettes. I think they previously used the hookah in Turkey to smoke hash-hish (i.e. hash).  Hence the words "assassin" which was derived from the word "hash-hishin"  - or a warrior who got stoned before he attempted to k*ll someone.

i passed mabini street in manila a few weeks ago and saw bottles of those "hookah" lined up in a mid-eastern cafe. i've seen them on TV but havent tried one myself... when i am that courageous to go into one of those cafes, i will surely try one.

thanks for the info...

hey bods,

i have to CONGRATULATE you on your thread... what started out as a thread for wine exchange has grown to be a thread for those who "appreciate" life.

for our friends who are just passing through, they might find the thread confusing because of too many "off-topic".

have you smoked your first cigar, send us feedback..

Good advises Masi. :cool: 

My 2 cents, if you're going for Cigars go for Cubans its far better, although the price range may be material but the quality is far better of it terms of taste.

Cigars are made from natural ingredients, therefore it must be good for the health.  'Heck anything that we enjoy is good for us right???? :blush:

you couldn't have said it any better. as for taste, Cubans are really an experience. strong spicy and earthy flavors, of cumin, cinamon, cedar, etc.

i've had some bad encounters with poor quality Cubans, as well and these was my favorite brand.

but a word of advice, let us support our own cigar industry. in one of my business trips, a spaniard approach me and asked what brand was i smoking, i told him Philippine brand and he retorted "ah! manila cigar" i guess thats how they are know in Europe.

foreigners love our cigars, we should too!!!

more power to this group.

Ok bods.  Hope you enjoy your first cigar.  Pero tama si Masi.  Try the chocolate caprichos.  I occasionally smoke Tabacaleras since I found Cubans a tad expensive (fiscal crisis and all).  I especially like Romeo and Julieta, and a friend of mine let me taste Padron (from Nicaragua).  Both are excellent but expensive.

Prosit!!!

pag namatay si Castro, two scenarios can happen.... the world market will be flooded by Cuban cigars and the Cuban cigar industry may be producing poor quality cigars.... of course, prices will drop. i read sa cigar afficionado that Castro had order to cut down on production just as to keep the quality.... prices have not really gone down.

the other scenario, the U.S. will buy all Cuban cigars and control the prices giving rise to counterfeits.

just my thoughts on the matter.

where to buy Cuban cigars cheap? Manila Duty free shops, Hong Kong Duty free.

a friend of mine went to Russia and he said that he has not seen so cheap Cuban cigars in his life... you know they are cheap there.... he gave me a box of R&J coronas.

but my fav brand is Monte Cristo No.3 and No.1.

Matatamis ang riesling di ba? And they are white wines. Naku may hangover ako sa white. Pero di bale , will see kasi libre naman.

Ang supertamis na german wine ay trockenber spatlieze. Tama ba spelling? I think this is their ice wine that the other guys mentioned. They let the grapes sit on the vine to accumulate sugars, and they harvest the grapes pag may konting yelo na. This I can drink.

BTW, malapit na pasko. German drink Gluhwein (hot wine) during christmas.

Here's a recipe for you wine lovers

Gluhwein Recipe By :

Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 cup Red table wine (not the cheap kind)

1 small Piece lemon peel

5 teaspoons White sugar -- or to taste

1 small Stick cinnamon

1 Whole clove

Combine all ingredients and heat, barely to boiling point. Pour into a

pre-warmed glass, wrap glass in a napkin, and serve immediately.

Guaranteed to make you a hit with the girls and with your friends.

Ok bods.  Hope you enjoy your first cigar.  Pero tama si Masi.  Try the chocolate caprichos.  I occasionally smoke Tabacaleras since I found Cubans a tad expensive (fiscal crisis and all).  I especially like Romeo and Julieta, and a friend of mine let me taste Padron (from Nicaragua).  Both are excellent but expensive.

Prosit!!!

nice one, pare :D pero di ba coffee-flavored cigar yung sabi ni masi? Anyway sa pangalan pa lang mukhang nakakapag-laway na...

Ok how about Honduran and Dominican cigars? I heard they're also good....

I forgot to ask:  Has anyone tried a hookah?  Someone told me that have one in Jerusalem restaurant along makati ave.  It was P200 a pop.  Masarap ang cherry flavor.  For those who don't know a hookah is a Turkish/Middle Eastern pipe, like a flask, with a container for water, to cool the smoke before you inhale it.

OFF-TOPIC

A person swears by the taste of the hookah which is far superior to cigars and cigarettes. I think they previously used the hookah in Turkey to smoke hash-hish (i.e. hash).  Hence the words "assassin" which was derived from the word "hash-hishin"  - or a warrior who got stoned before he attempted to k*ll someone.

I've only read about hookahs in travelogues and novels - meron pala nito dito. I assume it's not something illegal for it to be offered in a resto :D

Anyway give us more details about that hookah place, pare...

Has anybody heard of qat? It's something that is smoked in Yemen or thereabouts - the natives swear by it :D

i passed mabini street in manila a few weeks ago and saw bottles of those "hookah" lined up in a mid-eastern cafe.  i've seen them on TV but havent tried one myself... when i am that courageous to go into one of those cafes, i will surely try one.

thanks for the info...

pare I have an idea! why don't we have an EB in that place - that's a novel EB if I should say - a hookah EB - nobody here in MTC in a thousand years would ever have thought of such a thing :D

Any takers?

hey bods,

i have to CONGRATULATE you on your thread... what started out as a thread for wine exchange has grown to be a thread for those who "appreciate" life. 

for our friends who are just passing through, they might find the thread confusing because of too many "off-topic".

have you smoked your first cigar,  send us feedback..

I really don't know how it morphed into several branches - but as you say, if does qualify as some of the best things in life. Think wine, cigars, cheese, now going to exotic with hookah :D

I thank all of you for keeping the thread alive as I am quite absent for extended periods of time. Feel free to discuss anything here - basta alam nyo na what to discuss - anything good that life has to offer - hwag lang yung run-of-the-mill kind of things....

Cheers!

you couldn't have said it any better.  as for taste, Cubans are really an experience.  strong spicy and earthy flavors, of cumin, cinamon, cedar, etc.

i've had some bad encounters with poor quality Cubans, as well and these was my favorite brand.

but a word of advice, let us support our own cigar industry.  in one of my business trips, a spaniard approach me and asked what brand was i smoking, i told him Philippine brand and he retorted "ah! manila cigar"  i guess thats how they are know in Europe.

foreigners love our cigars, we should too!!!

more power to this group.

very well said, pare! I say let's support our very own Tabacalera while also indulging in Cubans and other foreign cigars.

Now if only we had a native wine-maker which we can all support. Novellino was such a bad idea but unfortunately some people here view it as WINE! Well, wine-education, like cigar-smoking, really has such a long way to go...

pag namatay si Castro, two scenarios can happen.... the world market will be flooded by Cuban cigars and the Cuban cigar industry may be producing poor quality cigars.... of course, prices will drop.  i read sa cigar afficionado that Castro had order to cut down on production just as to keep the quality.... prices have not really gone down.

the other scenario, the  U.S. will buy all Cuban cigars and control the prices giving rise to counterfeits.

just my thoughts on the matter.

where to buy Cuban cigars cheap?  Manila Duty free shops, Hong Kong Duty free.

a friend of mine went to Russia and he said that he has not seen so cheap Cuban cigars in his life... you know they are cheap there.... he gave me a box of R&J coronas.

but my fav brand is Monte Cristo No.3 and No.1.

Those are valid points pare. The way the US conducts international business to their advantage, the Cuban cigar industry could very well be a victim once Castro passes on.

Are monte Cristos Cuban? What's No. 3 and 1?

Matatamis ang riesling di ba?  And they are white wines.  Naku may hangover ako sa white.  Pero di bale ,  will see kasi libre naman. 

Ang supertamis na german wine ay trockenber spatlieze.  Tama ba spelling?  I think this is their ice wine that the other guys mentioned.  They let the grapes sit on the vine to accumulate sugars, and they harvest the grapes pag may konting yelo na.  This I can drink.

BTW, malapit na pasko.  German drink Gluhwein (hot wine) during christmas.

Here's a recipe for you wine lovers

Gluhwein Recipe By    :

Serving Size  : 1    Preparation Time :0:00

Amount  Measure      Ingredient -- Preparation Method

--------  ------------  --------------------------------

1      cup          Red table wine (not the cheap kind)

1      small        Piece lemon peel

5      teaspoons    White sugar -- or to taste

1      small        Stick cinnamon

1                    Whole clove

Combine all ingredients and heat, barely to boiling point. Pour into a

pre-warmed glass, wrap glass in a napkin, and serve immediately.

Guaranteed to make you a hit with the girls and with your friends.

rieslings are crisp, dry white wines - pare iba yata yung sweet wines although riesling grapes when harvested late, can be converted to sweet wines. As you have said, some are harvested with frost on it - high sugars with superripe grapes.

Pare thanks for the recipe - gumaganda na talaga yung thread :D

the wines that we will feature are the dry to medium dry varieties. Meron kaming TBA (trockenbeerenauslese) but di yan pinapasample..hehehe mahal eh. Iba pa yung eiswein. TBAs are harvested to the point na parang prune na sya...super overripe kaya napaka sweet nun. The ones that we will probably sample are kabinetts and qbas lang. I am not sure if we will open spatlese (late harvest) or Auslese (later pa). ;)

hi Good-Things-In-Life lovers!!! i haven't visited this thead for so long...

just want to share a little info I've read about Wine and Food combinations, hope it will be helpful. there will also be a wine and food trade show in the fall here in toronto, and i might visit it to try those wines i've been reading about from this thread :D

Food and Wine combinations (suggestions only):

Pinot Noir:

• Tuna

• Salmon

• Swordfish

• Pork

• Veal

• Venison

• Duck

• Game birds

• Mushrooms

• Mild cheese

• Soft cheese

Cabernet Sauvignon:

• Beef

• Steak

• Lamb

• Casseroles

• Stews

Port:

• Chocolate desserts

Merlot:• Beef

• Steak

• Lamb

• Tomato-based pasta sauce

• Strong cheese

nice one, pare :D  pero di ba coffee-flavored cigar yung sabi ni masi? Anyway sa pangalan pa lang mukhang nakakapag-laway na...

Ok how about Honduran and Dominican cigars? I heard they're also good....

any flavor that you prefer, coffee, chocolate, vanilla or strawberry... coffee is a personal favorite.

Dominican cigars are light but very rich in flavor they dont have much of a "bite" compared to Cubans. But the aroma is likewise full.

Dominicans I tried were Don Juan, Don Diego and Macanudo. coulnt remember if i ever smoke a cigar from Nicaragua but should more or less be the same.

much as i have to repeat myself, support our local cigar industry...try Tabacalera's Don Juan Urquijo (top end line) , 1881 (flag ship line). if you want to be quaint, get the Monica Lewinsky (i am not kidding). This are said to be same cigars Clinton used on her.heheheh

Other local high/top end brands are Smoking Lulu and Fighting Cock made by Tabaqueria.

happy smoking.